Start by marking “The Salmon Who Dared to Leap Higher” as Want to Read:
The Salmon Who Dared to Leap Higher

The Salmon Who Dared to Leap Higher

The life of the salmon is a predictable one: swimming upstream to the place of its birth to spawn, and then to die.

This is the story of a salmon whose silver scales mark him out as different - who dares to leap beyond his fate. It's a story about growing up, and about aching and ardent love. For swimming upstream means pursuing something the salmon cannot see: a dream.

Tr
Published April 9th 2015 by Pan Books (first published March 1st 1996)

Erwin
Jul 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: korean, asia
A truly wonderful and touching fable about life and its meaning.
Lydia
Jun 26, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017

This was a very charming little fable about growing up and the purpose of life. All explored through the life of Silver Salmon.

It was a gentle read and enjoyable. The illustrations were lovely.

There just wasn't enough here to get me invested. But it's a perfectly lovely little tale and I'm glad I picked it up.
Samuel Bigglesworth
A beautiful love story about the meaning of life and the life cycle salmon, and their complex relationship with humans. Interweaved with beautiful illustrations.

I suspect something was lost in translation as the language was not immersive at all. The descriptions were very simplistic. It certainly didn't feel like the work of a multi-million copy bestselling, award winning poet on a sentence by sentence level, but perhaps the story did as a whole.
Reemay
Oct 23, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The life of Salmon is predictable but Silver Salmon is different. He wants to challenge himself into taking a different route rather than following the line that he's supposed to follow.

Silver Salmon takes you to a journey where he wants to find answers for his questions. It usually involves the meaning of life and death, growing up, love, nature and the relationship between nature and humans.

"There are countless humans who do cruel things simply in order to show that they can,' he said. 'Why
Salam Ch
Oct 26, 2016 rated it liked it
Pia
May 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018
Thehappymeerkat
May 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
I found this book in my local library and was intrigued by the book blurb.

During their return to their spawning grounds one salmon, named Silver Salmon, stands out. Not only are his scales a silver colour, marking him out from the rest of the other salmon, but he also has a curious mind, a mind that wonders what the meaning of life is. This is a poignant and thought provoking story told from the point of view of a salmon.

The Salmon Who Dared to Leap Higher is a short book and quite easy to read.
Victoria Goldman
Apr 14, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Salmon Who Dared To Leap Higher was a relaxing, comfortable read - a great way to unwind. It reminded me of a bedtime story, one to be shared from generation to generation. The type of book that parents (or grandparents) would read to their children (or grandchildren).

This easy-to-read and well-translated book is beautifully illustrated, both inside and on the cover. It is a short book and reads like a modern fable as it follows the story of Silver Salmon, who makes his journey to his spawni
Aeron Allen
Feb 06, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
By poetically writing of the arduous journey of a single silver salmon on the search for the meaning of its life, the books author, Ahn Do-hyun has managed to shed a little bit of enlightenment onto the beauties, horrors & mysterious of life. A really delightful thought provoking read that captures your heart & mind and leaves you with not only a greater appreciation for salmon but also of life.
Wilde Sky
Apr 30, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A silver salmon journeys to his spawning ground and tries to understand his place in the world.

This was an odd but strangely moving story / fable dealing with love / life / destiny.

Worth reading if you fancy something different.
Ali Serhat Dilekçi
Absolutely amazing. Author uses his protagonist(a salmon) and its enviroment as a metaphor to give advices about life. And he does this very successfully.
Sean Farrell
A very nice book, a fable of sorts. Could easily be read to children, with lots of little life lessons. But not demanding or terribly illuminating for an adult readership.
Stephanie
My first experience of Korean literature. Definitely an interesting book.
Phoebe
May 13, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Such a sweet book about nature
Jack Deighton
I was attracted to this book by its title, which appears to indicate a fairy tale or children’s story containing a moral. (Compare, for example, The Little Engine That Could .) That it was written by a Korean only confirmed my desire to read it as I had never sampled Korean fiction before. Given the story’s allegorical/fabular nature (though the illustrations are resolutely realistically sketched with the odd hint of Japanese style) I doubt it is representative of the country’s fiction writers: ...more
Mike Sumner
Dec 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A gentle, heartfelt fable for our time. Ahn Do-hyun is a multi-million copy bestselling, award-winning Korean poet. Told through the eyes and the heart of Silver Salmon as a shoal cross the great ocean towards their spawning grounds on the Green River, facing the dangers of humankind, not just from net fishing and fish eagles but the pollution of river water caused by man. He falls in love with a female: ”My name is Clear-Eyed Salmon”. The salmon will swim upstream to the place of their birth to ...more
Cheylea Hopkinson
Nov 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Clara Patricia
Wahyu Novian
Jun 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
It reminds me of The Little Prince. How every little things in Silver Salmon's tale show us life. And it was written beautifully.

"Salmon : the very word is heady with the scent of the rushing river."
CSD CBK
This book was a slow read for me at the start... took sometimes to get used to writing style and also the pace at which the story unravels. Overall a good story. Good insights. Worth reading
Aik6980
A light hearten, romantic story about Salmon Life Cycle
Abby Saunders
Apr 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Heartfelt and philosophical. A moving tribute to the life of a silver salmon
Amanda NG
Feb 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nice style of writing, good book for children
Kris McCracken
Jonathan Livingston Seagull. Only better. And with salmon.
Elle♣
Jessica Little
This was such an easy, fast, fun and delightful read... However there was something missing from it that I can't put my finger on. I was expecting more from this book but it wasn't there, is all I can say...
Anna70
Jul 06, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I first began reading the book I wasn't sure I was going to enjoy it as I felt the plot was very simplistic and although I could recognise the thought provoking triggers I wasn't really connecting to them. However as I continued to read particularly the second portion of the book I found it quite uplifting and the simplicity made the message all the more vivid and significant.

I really enjoyed the end of the book and found the writing elegant and quite beautiful at times. Overall I feel tha
Linh Le
Oct 31, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Perhaps I would have rated this book 4 or 5 stars if I read it earlier, like 10 years ago or so. It would be more appropriate for children to read this. The Salmon who dared to leap higher is charming fable, yet it's not my style (I feel like there is no climax in the story). It's too relaxing that my whole reading process turned out to be so dreadful. Or maybe it's me, who thought she was a hopeless romantic, couldn't bare the fact that a salmon's life journey can be fantasised and romanticised ...more
David Wen
Nov 27, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Still not quite sure why I liked this so much. It's an absurd story anthropomorphizing a salmon's journey to its spawning ground. Human-like characters yet at the same time recognizing that they're not, they discuss life, love, environment, and other "human" issues. Without giving anything away, it was a very moving story and recommended read.
Le Ann
Jan 19, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: asian-lit, 2017
The books has some inspiring insights to life and such, but I can't help but be put off by it regardless. Perhaps it's the translation but the whole book comes off as rather pretentious at certain parts.
Goodreads Librari...: Adding two wrong editions. 6 25 Mar 08, 2017 02:33PM

• 안나라수마나라 1 (Annarasumanara #1)
  • Secret London - an Unusual Guide
  • Four Stories
  • Tired of London, Tired of Life: One Thing A Day To Do in London
  • Doctor Who: The Dalek Handbook
  • Research Methods for Business Students
  • The Smashing Book
  • Touching the Waves (Dolphin Diaries #2)
  • June Fourth Elegies
  • Vacation Guide to the Solar System: Science for the Savvy Space Traveler!
  • الإقلاع عكس الزمن
  • Race
  • ヨコハマ買い出し紀行 1
  • لن أغادر منزلي
  • The Shamutanti Hills (Fighting Fantasy: Sorcery!, #1)
  • Quelqu'un d'autre
  • Boys Over Flowers: Hana Yori Dango, Vol. 24 (Boys Over Flowers, #24)