Start by marking “The Salmon Who Dared to Leap Higher” as Want to Read:
The Salmon Who Dared to Leap Higher

The Salmon Who Dared to Leap Higher

The life of the salmon is a predictable one: swimming upstream to the place of its birth to spawn, and then to die.

This is the story of a salmon whose silver scales mark him out as different - who dares to leap beyond his fate. It's a story about growing up, and about aching and ardent love. For swimming upstream means pursuing something the salmon cannot see: a dream.

Tr
Published April 9th 2015 by Pan (first published March 1st 1996)

To ask other readers questions about The Salmon Who Dared to Leap Higher, please sign up.
Susie Hemsworth It isn't. Funnily I thought the same thing approaching the book. There are parallels but it is less precious and deals better with the real world. Les…moreIt isn't. Funnily I thought the same thing approaching the book. There are parallels but it is less precious and deals better with the real world. Less star system and more zen. Ultimately it's realness makes it more touching and less religious in my opinion.(less)

Start your review of The Salmon Who Dared to Leap Higher
Erwin
Jul 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: asia, korean
A truly wonderful and touching fable about life and its meaning.
Lydia
Jun 26, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2017

This was a very charming little fable about growing up and the purpose of life. All explored through the life of Silver Salmon.

It was a gentle read and enjoyable. The illustrations were lovely.

There just wasn't enough here to get me invested. But it's a perfectly lovely little tale and I'm glad I picked it up.
Samuel Bigglesworth
Jul 29, 2018 rated it liked it
A beautiful love story about the meaning of life and the life cycle salmon, and their complex relationship with humans. Interweaved with beautiful illustrations.

I suspect something was lost in translation as the language was not immersive at all. The descriptions were very simplistic. It certainly didn't feel like the work of a multi-million copy bestselling, award winning poet on a sentence by sentence level, but perhaps the story did as a whole.
Reemay
Oct 23, 2017 rated it liked it
The life of Salmon is predictable but Silver Salmon is different. He wants to challenge himself into taking a different route rather than following the line that he's supposed to follow.

Silver Salmon takes you to a journey where he wants to find answers for his questions. It usually involves the meaning of life and death, growing up, love, nature and the relationship between nature and humans.

"There are countless humans who do cruel things simply in order to show that they can,' he said. 'Why
Cat (cat-thecatlady)
sometimes you read a book without knowing anything about it and what a wonderful surprise it turns out to be! other times, it's just a big disappointment.

I had no idea this would be literally about salmon... it's supposedly a fable but all the relatable aspects of those types of stories get lost because well, the characters are fish. this reads as so silly because they're fish but at the same time, they talk about very human things like marriage and science and what beautiful cities are there i
Pia Sophia
May 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018
Aeron Allen
Feb 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
By poetically writing of the arduous journey of a single silver salmon on the search for the meaning of its life, the books author, Ahn Do-hyun has managed to shed a little bit of enlightenment onto the beauties, horrors & mysterious of life. A really delightful thought provoking read that captures your heart & mind and leaves you with not only a greater appreciation for salmon but also of life.
Phoebe
May 13, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Such a sweet book about nature
Salam Ch
Oct 26, 2016 rated it liked it
Shivam Kalra
Jul 31, 2019 rated it liked it
Good and sweet read.It's a children's book that deals with belongingness, growing up, kindness, love, and other miscellaneous traits that make you a good human being. Ahn Do-Hyun paints the picture with a broad brush to cover multitude of topic. Good thing is, in the end the painting looks vivid and shows what Ahn wants to show instead of being something abstract to have your own interpretations. ...more
Thehappymeerkat
May 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
I found this book in my local library and was intrigued by the book blurb.

During their return to their spawning grounds one salmon, named Silver Salmon, stands out. Not only are his scales a silver colour, marking him out from the rest of the other salmon, but he also has a curious mind, a mind that wonders what the meaning of life is. This is a poignant and thought provoking story told from the point of view of a salmon.

The Salmon Who Dared to Leap Higher is a short book and quite easy to read.
HomeInMyShoes
Aug 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction, south-korea
I really liked that. If a salmon could make me cry, this is the one.
Victoria Goldman
Apr 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
The Salmon Who Dared To Leap Higher was a relaxing, comfortable read - a great way to unwind. It reminded me of a bedtime story, one to be shared from generation to generation. The type of book that parents (or grandparents) would read to their children (or grandchildren).

This easy-to-read and well-translated book is beautifully illustrated, both inside and on the cover. It is a short book and reads like a modern fable as it follows the story of Silver Salmon, who makes his journey to his spawni
Mike Sumner
Dec 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A gentle, heartfelt fable for our time. Ahn Do-hyun is a multi-million copy bestselling, award-winning Korean poet. Told through the eyes and the heart of Silver Salmon as a shoal cross the great ocean towards their spawning grounds on the Green River, facing the dangers of humankind, not just from net fishing and fish eagles but the pollution of river water caused by man. He falls in love with a female: ”My name is Clear-Eyed Salmon”. The salmon will swim upstream to the place of their birth to ...more
Aivija
Jan 11, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: fables
I don't really know what to think about this book. The story itself is quite beautiful - the search for the meaning of life via the eyes of a salmon journeying to its spawning grounds, which also mark the end of a salmon's life. However, I feel like it's one of those books you have to read in the original language - the language seemed way too simplistic to be the work of a poet, which leads me to believe that the original in Korean was expressive in a way that does not necessarily translate to ...more
Wilde Sky
Apr 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
A silver salmon journeys to his spawning ground and tries to understand his place in the world.

This was an odd but strangely moving story / fable dealing with love / life / destiny.

Worth reading if you fancy something different.
Sean Farrell
Apr 04, 2015 rated it liked it
A very nice book, a fable of sorts. Could easily be read to children, with lots of little life lessons. But not demanding or terribly illuminating for an adult readership.
thebookmenagerie
Jun 03, 2015 rated it liked it
My first experience of Korean literature. Definitely an interesting book.
Khadija Sharafi
Aug 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book includes a simple plot with deep meanings. It reminded me of the popular fables we were taught as kids. Quite refreshing!
Elle♣
Dec 01, 2017 rated it liked it
CSD CBK
Mar 19, 2019 rated it liked it
This book was a slow read for me at the start... took sometimes to get used to writing style and also the pace at which the story unravels. Overall a good story. Good insights. Worth reading
Nisha Vyas-Myall
Dec 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This books is absolutely stunning- it's emotive, educational, realist and a metaphor for life. So beautifully written and just gorgeous. ...more
Tejaswini
Mar 21, 2021 rated it it was amazing
The Salmon who dared to leap higher' by Ahn Do hyn was written on the basis of Salmon conservation moment started by fishermen in Korea. Salmon fish has a unique quality of remembering their birth place & return there to spawn. They swim thousands of kilometres upstream surpassing myriad of tides & currents with their tiny fins to lay eggs there. Each female salmon lays not less than 2000 eggs. In the process of exterior fertilization, female fish after releasing it's scarlet coloured eggs & mal ...more
Jan Harmse
Jan 13, 2021 rated it liked it
It has valuable lessons but in a disbelievable world. It's hard to care about the observations that fish have of humans when fish can do everything humans can as though they're not underwater.

Instead of fish crying, underwater, have them stutter in their speech or express their emotions in other ways. Have the smart fish be observant, questioning and obsessed with experimentation, not well-read. Have the fish overhear human conversations instead of asking humans direct questions and having them
Jenna Gareis
May 04, 2021 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-harder-2021
Five things about The Salmon Who Dared to Leap Higher by Ahn Do-hyun 3/5⭐️s

1. This is a sweet fable about the meaning of life and how to live.
2. The illustrations are lovely.
3. I don’t know if it’s the translation or if it’s just the book itself but it was strikingly unemotional- even during moments that really should have evoked emotion.
4. This reads very quickly. I read it in about an hour - start to finish.
5. You know this book. It’s in the tradition of Johnathan Livingston Seagull or Tue
Ariane Coronel
Apr 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childhood, society
Springing away from the usual Japanese authors, I found myself thoroughly engaged with Ahn Do-Hyun's The Salmon Who Dared to Leap Higher. This Korean author focused on life and getting the most of it. Unlike the melancholy tones of the books I've read so far, this book is inspirational, happy and somewhat positively written. It challenges the reader to dream and hope higher, for one has nothing to lose in doing so. The end is definite but getting there can be more meaningful. It is a must-read. ...more
Roadtotherisingsun
Sep 05, 2019 rated it liked it
Cute and with some poetic images. But a bit lackluster in the end. U can’t help to draw comparisons between this book and the work of Sun-mi Hwang. She also has written two books about animals with a lot of symbolics and hidden messages. Adult fables. And her works grabs you so much more and does the job much better.
Shriti Chatterjee
Mar 09, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5/5

...Because, for Silver Salmon, hope was a far too mysterious, invisible, inexpressible thing.

A beautiful coming-of-age story that reads like a dream along with its incredible illustrations. Since this is a translated work, I can't help but feel that some of the wonder may have been lost in translation.
Wahyu Novian
Jun 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
It reminds me of The Little Prince. How every little things in Silver Salmon's tale show us life. And it was written beautifully.

"Salmon : the very word is heady with the scent of the rushing river."
Esther Lawton
Jan 14, 2020 rated it it was ok
I don’t understand what all the fuss is about really. But it made me think at least, about whether I agreed with the moral/sentiment or not. The highlight for me was the series of wisdom speeches before the rapids. Other than that, I feel bad, but ... overrated, and incomprehensibly so.
« previous 1 3 next »

• How to Fake a Moon Landing: Exposing the Myths of Science Denial
  • Babyrina
  • الموسيقى الخفية
  • From Beirut to Jerusalem
  • Trâm - Tình lang hờ (Trâm, #3)
  • أين نذهب يا بابا؟
  • Jingga dan Senja
  • I Had That Same Dream Again
  • Burning Heat
  • Risuko: A Kunoichi Tale (Seasons of the Sword #1)
  • Metaphysical Meditations
  • Bamboo People
  • Storia di un gatto e del topo che diventò suo amico

News & Interviews

“The only way for people to get idea of their own image is through the mouths of other people. Other people's words are mirrors that reflect you back to yourself.” 0 likes