Start by marking “The Tattooed Duchess (A Fire Beneath the Skin, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Tattooed Duchess (A Fire Beneath the Skin, #2)

The Tattooed Duchess

(A Fire Beneath the Skin #2)

Published July 7th 2015 by 47North

To ask other readers questions about The Tattooed Duchess, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Tattooed Duchess

Start your review of The Tattooed Duchess (A Fire Beneath the Skin, #2)
Terence
Jan 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs-and-galleys
Two months after the events of Ink Mage, Rina Veraiin is officially the Duchess of Klaar. She's struggling balancing the life she wants to live with Alem, the desire to use her powers, and the responsibility of being a Duchess. Meanwhile events are unfolding around her that could easily change not only Klaar, but the entire world.

The Tattooed Duchess is a far different story than it's predecessor Ink Mage. I envisioned Rina would turn into one of those kind of hot yet kind of scary tattooed moto
T
This free Audiobook series started slow but has quickly grown on me. Our kick ass witch as well as her cast of friends have fully developed. Off to book three!
Kushnuma
I received an e-book copy from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

The Tattooed Duchess is book 2 in the trilogy.

I wasn't really looking forward to reading this book as I didn't really like the first. But I think I enjoyed this book more than the first and liked that little Epilogue at the end.
Jason M Waltz
Feb 21, 2016 rated it liked it
not quite the caliber of book 1. still holds lots of good fights and bloodshed, subterfuge and scenes of maturation, clever magics and personal heroics, but...too many this-just-happens-to-be-or-do-or-appear-at-just-this-right-moment. too many abrupt turn arounds in personal choices or recoveries from plot twists that only go so far least they disrupt the main story too much. still mostly enjoying the main character and like some depth growth in others, but miss the same in yet others. good pend ...more
John G. Stevens
Jul 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Top notch fantasy

Second book in, this book hit all the right notes. Expanded the cast, a deeper look in the word, dire consequences from the first book’s events, and on. I really enjoyed getting another look at the main characters, only 2 books in, it was already like checking in with old friends.

I listened to the audiobook for this one. It was fantastic. The (woman) narrator had distinct inflections/dialects for each character that really worked. A++
Kim
4 stars alone for the incredible narration. The second book of the trilogy lived up to the quality its predecessor accustomed us to. It’s a beautifully detailed reality the author creates for us, with a host of complex characters. I do wonder if I would get inpatient with how slow the plot moves, if I had read this instead of listening to it, especially when you look at the overarching story. And the romance that has since gone wayward makes me sad, especially since reviews of the third book ind ...more
Lesa Divine
Didn't like this as much as book 1. But it was still interesting to follow Rina. More characters got the spotlight. Some I didn't too much care for.

But demon fight was intriguing.
I'll continue on to the next book.
Gardavson
Jan 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A

Good continuation of the series. Great pacing. Hard to put down. Love the main characters. Eager to get to the next.
James Irvine
Nov 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Very enjoyable

I really enjoyed this book its a great series so far, its written very well the characters are great love following each one.
Sydney
Sep 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
These books are bomb diggity. I can't bear to read them as a Kindle Series so I must wait until the whole thing comes out in one book. I assure you, it's so worth the sweet sweet torture of waiting.

I like this series. Like really really like this series. It's intricate and exciting and wonderfully fast-paced. Gischler plays quite a bit with mystery in this book and it adds much to the story. If you read a lot of YA, well actually, read ANYTHING a lot, eventually you figure out what to look for a
Vincent Wood
Dec 16, 2016 rated it it was ok
Book two of the Fire Beneath the Skin series. It seems more like half of a book disguised as a full book. The first book in this series I thought was a great book with lots of tension and lots of adventure. While it did have a few loose threads not satisfactorily tied up, obviously with the idea of these threads continuing in a sequel, the book did have an ending. This book does not. This book has multiple cliffhangers for each of the major characters.

I usually attempt to rate a book based upon
Montzalee Wittmann
Feb 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
The Tattooed Duchess by Victor Gischler is the second book in A Fire Beneath The Skin series but it can be read without reading book one first but you will want to because it is so good! I read book one and three and now I read this one, I love them all. Rina is now a Duchess which she is not happy to be but excepts it and is trying to figure out her powers of the tattoos and the spell book. She is trying to do right by her kingdom and her heart while she battling forces from beyond. She has to ...more
william  Goodrow
Sep 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The tattooed Duchess

I like the way the story reads so smoothly. Shifting one point to another and then melding them together. I will be watching for the next installment in this story.
Zaxs Yacs
Jun 06, 2019 rated it really liked it

In the second installment of the A Fire Beneath the Skin trilogy, Rina Veraiin has youth, beauty, and strength. She is a born warrior, able to outride any man, deal death with her fierce blade, and command awesome and mysterious forces granted to her by a set of magical tattoos. Now as the newly minted duchess of Klaar, Rina confronts a menace that threatens her world in a divine conflict that will push her newfound abilities to their limits.
As sinister and magical forces unite against her, Rina

Kristine
Sep 16, 2018 rated it it was ok
2.5 Stars

Annoyed with the ending. Not even really a cliffhanger, just an ending. There is SO much up in the air that I can’t believe they let this chapter/section be published as a complete book.

I couldn’t even remember what book 1 was about until a ways into the second book. I only knew that I had read and finished it (book 1) because I rated it on Goodreads. I did begin to recall the first book as I was reading and began remembering certain characters, but, that does say something doesn’t it?
Ryan Wilson
Sep 10, 2018 rated it it was ok
This and most of the next had no right to be separate books in my humble opinion.

The first wrapped up neatly with some loose ends still there for tugging but overall it wasn't ready to completely unravel like a poorly stitched sweater that a runaway Jack Russel terrier has snagged a thread of.

The end of this is a hot mess and reads more like the season finale to some streaming show rather than a novel. The narrator even announces when episodes end lending to that concept. But I was here for a bo
Heidi Hanley
Sep 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing

I have nothing but good to say about this second book in the series. I liked the first one but to be honest, I almost didn’t download this one, but I did and thank goodness! It was even better than the first one! Totally put together story with multiple characters and locations. Fast paced, great fight scenes and Rina and Allums romance is wonderfully complex. I like the way Gischler writes his romance scenes. Just juicy enough. These characters are all so different and enjoyable. The narrator o
Sarah Kenchington
Oct 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
A fabulous sequel to 'Ink Mage'. By the time I picked this book up, I was very strongly invested in the world of Helva and Klaar, and so devoured it extremely quickly.
Seeing Rina battle with the struggles of being a duchess, alongside the issues the tattoos brought (and Alem) kept this middle book going very well. The skeletal tattoo is indeed horrifying, and I personally loved that addition. The magic system Gischler created with the tattoos was already portrayed as not being all-powerful, thr
Micah
Apr 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really like this series. It is well written, and the world building and character development is good. It's not blow your socks off, but it is good. I really like Rina (I relate to her on many levels). The only thing that bugged me was that there were so many different POVs. Though I did enjoy having insight into the "bad guys" (and other characters') side, I found that it was hard to bring myself to care about everyone's problems. I was constantly hoping for the next chapter to be Rina. Rina ...more
Jamies
Looking forward to more adventures for our team

This book picks up where the first left off. Trying to run a province with no training, guides, and most of the staff is dead; no problem for our new duchess. Actually big problem cuz the gods seem to be fighting and one might've been killed not to long ago. Also that army that just invaded your land, well turns out there's more coming and you need more tattoos to help fight them. Your love life takes a turn and things might even get worse when an o
Jennifer Gottschalk
Sep 28, 2019 rated it liked it
A well written, action packed installment which is part of a larger series. The characters were unique and the story was quite enjoyable.

The biggest issue with this one is that plot wise, not a lot happens. A range of sub-plots are started but none of them are brought to a satisfactory conclusion.

It is unfortunate that the book ends abruptly with a note that the actual story is continued in the third book in the series. Whilst continuing the story in a final book is part and parcel of a trilogy,
May 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
I can't quite put my finger on why I enjoy this series so much. Maybe it's just the breathe of fresh air that I need in my life right now because I'm in stressed out land or if it's just a good series. It's a light fantasy, not what I would consider to be hard core epic fantasy like game of thrones, lord of the rings, or my dude patrick (who needs to finish writing that next book).
So maybe it's just the right ink mage at the right stress level kinda read.
Dan
Sep 22, 2017 rated it liked it
Great character development , needed ,more story

I loved the first book, I have this strange hate and love of the characters.
I love team world and story but find every character has major faults with terrace personality and I find myself routing for the strangest person out of the main cast.
I did enjoy this book is did feel as if had read quite far without anything actually happening.
n p dobson
Jun 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic Read

Very little to say other than OUTSTANDING. This Author has now gone into my top ten list of must read more of, I've had little time available for reading but at every chance I get I have too pick it up again, the story line in this book was even more gripping than book one so onto book three and I don't think I will be disappointed. I will be looking forward to reading more books by this Author.
Jul 13, 2018 rated it it was ok
Humm

This one was more of a filler type of a book. You are given a lot of information on the wizards and the enemy point of view is shown more often. A couple of close calls here and there but not much happens besides the obvious of a rescue being needed. There is a sad misunderstanding too to being up confusions.
Linda
Mar 29, 2018 rated it liked it
For some reason I just can't find any way to like any of the characters in this series. Well I like Mother I guess. The writing is not bad and the plot has lots of good twisty turnies but the characters just seem flat and lifeless and the various events seem rather disjointed somehow. I can tolerate that as a plot device at times but this lasted the entire book.
Bryan457
On the plus side - The tattoo magic is pretty cool. And what's not to like about a swearing, tattood, smoking duchess who occasionally goes berserk and slaughters her enemies.

On the minus side - This one was full of Rina doing boring duchess stuff. Her doomed romance, gag. And it is not a complete book, wraps nothing up, just stops, so best to have the next book on hand.
Brian Turner
May 30, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Following directly on from Ink Mage, this sees Rina and her companions trying to hold her duchy together while more potent forces are stirring in the wider world.
Everything appears to be happening to get them to book 3, so the ending is really a bunch of loose ends.
Otherwise, the characters are still well written; introduces a few more but doesn't break up the original dynamic.
Michael Campbell
Feb 03, 2018 rated it liked it
Pretty well on par with the first one. Light and fun Fantasy, with strong characters that manages to be enjoyable while feeling very familiar.

It does suffer from 2nd book in a trilogy syndrome, as it felt like build up for the next novel mostly.

Still though, plenty of fun adventures and a couple interesting plot developments, worth a read I thought!
Melissa
Mar 19, 2019 rated it liked it
Oh how I despise cliffhangers!!

I really enjoy this story and world. It's unique and the characters are interesting. But why the cliffhanger?! I'm so glad the next book is out! Normally, I would hang the series up!
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Threshold Child (The Threshold Child, #1)
  • The Labyrinth of Destiny (The Threshold Child, #3)
  • Legacy of the Blood (The Threshold Child, #2)
  • Everafter Song (The Evermore Chronicles #3)
  • The Lore of the Evermen (Evermen Saga, #4)
  • Into the Hourglass (The Evermore Chronicles, #2)
  • The Path of the Storm (Evermen Saga, #3)
  • Iron Will (The Shifting Tides #4)
  • Golden Age (The Shifting Tides, #1)
  • Broken Veil (Harbinger #5)
  • Copper Chain (The Shifting Tides #3)
  • The Hidden Relic (Evermen Saga, #2)
  • Silver Road (The Shifting Tides #2)
  • The Killing Fog (The Grave Kingdom, #1)
  • The Elven (The Saga of the Elven, #1)
  • Prism Cloud (Harbinger #4)
  • Before the Broken Star (The Evermore Chronicles, #1)
  • Enchantress (Evermen Saga, #1)
Victor Gischler is an American author of humorous crime fiction.
Gischler's debut novel Gun Monkeys was nominated for the Edgar Award, and his novel Shotgun Opera was an Anthony Award finalist. His work has been translated into Italian, French, Spanish and Japanese. He earned a Ph.D. in English at the University of Southern Mississippi. His fifth novel Go-Go Girls of the Apocalypse was published in

A Fire Beneath the Skin (3 books)
  • Ink Mage (A Fire Beneath the Skin, #1)
  • A Painted Goddess (A Fire Beneath the Skin, #3)

News & Interviews

“Brasley still drank too much and liked his women, but at least he paced himself now, walking the path to self-destruction instead of sprinting down it at full speed.” 2 likes
“Prinn lived by one governing thought: Whenever life seems to be going surprisingly well, just wait ten seconds and everything will go back to shit like normal.” 1 likes