Start by marking “Una spola di filo blu” as Want to Read:
Una spola di filo blu

Una spola di filo blu

3.40  ·  Rating details ·  71,361 ratings  ·  8,844 reviews
«Era uno splendido pomeriggio tutto giallo e verde…» Sempre con queste parole Abby Whitshank inizia a raccontare di quel giorno, nel lontano luglio del 1959, in cui si innamorò di Red, sotto il grande portico di legno che occupa tutta la facciata della casa dove avrebbero cresciuto i loro quattro figli. La casa di famiglia, orgoglio del padre di Red, arrivato a Baltimora n ...more
Paperback, Narratori della Fenice, 400 pages
Published April 30th 2015 by Guanda (first published February 10th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Una spola di filo blu, please sign up.

·  71,361 ratings  ·  8,844 reviews

RoseMary Achey
The title of this book is well represented....think about a spool of thread. It just unwinds and unwinds, there are no highs or lows.

When reading A Spool of Blue Thread I kept waiting for the climax, but it never came....it just unwound and unwound. Yes, there were a few minor surprises, but not enough to save this book.

This is a great example of a popular author, dynamic publisher's marketing campaign and an attractive cover all working together to create a great deal of noise around a medioc
Emily May
Apr 10, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015, modern-lit
"The trouble with dying," she'd told Jeannie once, "is that you don't get to see how everything turns out. You won't know the ending."

This book was lovely. That's how I would describe it. I'm not going to sell it as anything it isn't - fans of fast-paced action and fantasy should look elsewhere - because this is a quiet, moving family drama; nothing more or less. And yet, that was more than enough to make this one of my favourite, beautifully-written character studies.

Sometimes there are those
Jill
Dec 08, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some time back, I learned this: you don’t just open a book by Anne Tyler, you enter it. You get introduced to the characters, take up residence with them in their Baltimore neighborhoods, watch them muddle through their challenges and triumphs, and inevitably, feel as if you’re saying a fond farewell to family members when you close the last page.

That’s the beauty of Anne Tyler’s writing. Her characters are quirky, eccentric, and so achingly real that they could step off the page and seamlessly
Ron Charles
Nov 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015-favorites
The characters in “A Spool of Blue Thread” look like the same Baltimore family members we’ve socialized with for 50 years in Anne Tyler’s fiction. In fact, everything about her new novel — from its needlepointed title to its arthritic plot — sounds worn-out.

So how can it be so wonderful? The funky meals, the wacky professions, the distracted mothers and the lost children — they’re all here. But complaining that Tyler’s novels are redundant is like whining that Shakespeare’s sonnets are always 14
Abby Huff
Oct 13, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I will be honest and say I did not finish this book. If it takes more than 100 pages for me to get interested it just is not worth the read. The characters were one dimensional and I felt like the story was not going anywhere. It might have eventually but there is to much for me to read to wait.
Elyse Walters
Nov 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I just counted......
I own 6 -not yet read paperback books ( thrift book specials or freebies ), by
Ann Tyler, yet "A Spool of Blue Thread" is my very first novel I've read by this
wonderful woman.

I fell in love in Ann Tyler in a more indirect way than most of her fans. Being a late bloomer reader, myself, somehow, I missed her books. ( not intentionally).
But...this is the way I first 'melted' for Ann.

It was 3 years ago...2013: The San Jose Mercury newspaper ran a HUGE 2 full-length spread int
Carol
3.5 Stars This novel left me with mixed emotions.....

I liked the well-defined kooky characters.

I liked their descriptively inviting (well built) home.

I liked the surprising turn of events in the second half...and

I liked the significance of the Spool of Blue Thread.

But...

I did not care for the abrupt transitions in time.

I would have liked a faster pace in the storytelling.

I really wanted to know more about Denny's mysterious life.....and

I would have liked a resolution to my many unanswered ques

Diane
Feb 06, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Anne Tyler's latest novel is another thoughtful story about marriage and family, and I cherished it.

A Spool of Blue Thread is about the Whitshank family of Baltimore. The novel covers several generations and different family perspectives, but the heart of the book was with the mother, Abby Whitshank. Abby loves and frets over her children and grandchildren, and she frequently invites strangers over to dinner if she feels they need someplace to go. But Abby is getting forgetful as she gets older,
Diane S ☔
Aug 05, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For many years Anne Tyler has been an excellent observer of human idiosyncrasies, human frailties and in particular of families, good and bad. In this novel we are introduced to the Whitshanks, mother Abby and father Red with their four grown children, at least grown at the beginning of the novel. Like most families, they do not always get along, they have secrets from each other and one doesn't quite want to fit into the family mold.

Delightful, amusing, poignant and so darn realistic. The novel
☼♄Jülie 

I hate to say it but I found this book a bit tedious and really hard to get seriously invested in.
It's not that it is badly written, because it isn't, and I had no problem with the delivery...it just didn't grab me...I kept reading on thinking it will pick up soon, something will happen, but it never really did. Or, when it did, it didn't have any of the emotive elements one would expect to be captivated by.
For the most part I found it only vaguely interesting, a bit like casual eavesdropping o
Margitte
There is nothing about this book I did not like.

Three generations of the Witshank family is introduced by the author in a low-key, no-frills-no-fuzz manner. They were not outstanding; they did not change the world; but they were the epicenter of what it means to be American.

The story is not linear, and the surprise, or rather mystery, of the family's origin, is delivered in the last part of the book. The narrative is character-driven.

What I take away is that we can all forgive ourselves for bei
Arah-Lynda
May 04, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-said, lets-get-real
So tell me what is your favourite comfort food?

We all have them don’t we, that dish we turn to when feeling blue or just wanting to revel in hearth and home. For me that dish has always been beefaroni, not the Chef Boyardee shit, but real homemade beefaroni. Follow up a big dish of that, with warm Dutch apple pie and vanilla ice cream, paired with a glass of the good stuff, slippers on my tootsies and a good book and colour me content and life good.

Reading A Spool of Blue Thread brought these i
Maria Espadinha
Jan 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Humanos Como Nós

Quem não tem uma mãe cusca, intrometida, uma melga amorosa que se cola a cada passo que damos?!...
Quem não tiver...facilmente imagina ;)

Quem não tem um pai hiper-preocupado, um espírito demolidor, sempre pronto a criticar e aconselhar ?!...
Quem não tiver...facilmente imagina ;)

Quem não tem um irmão rebelde, que desaparece e aparece sem dar cavaco, que se esconde, que foge de todos e sobretudo de si mesmo?!...

"O Carrinho de Linha Azul" é a es
Helene Jeppesen
Jan 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was one of the most beautifully written stories I've read for a long time! It was my first book by Anne Tyler, and it was one of those books that makes me want to immediately go out and get all of her other books. If they're anything like "A Spool of Blue Thread", they are masterpieces!
This is a very simple piece of literary fiction that focuses on its characters and their development. It is about a family of many members whom we gradually get to know. Anne Tyler has structured the storyli
Suzanne
Excellent narration. A nice family saga told over three generations, one that I liked enough. Nuances such as the matriarch thinking her family are quite perfect and having to uphold appearances of the same were interesting. Are families perfect as they appear to be, is there any part of perfect at all? Stories of the oldest generation ending up married after a scandal - what a vixen - and younger generations being a bit screwed up and not knowing what life holds. Poor Denny! I thought for sure ...more
Angela M
Jan 04, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Anne Tyler has done here what she does best , describing perfectly these less than perfect , very ordinary people with their quirks , dramas , secrets and resentments as well as their love for each other . It is so realistic in so many ways. We are able to laugh at the funny and cry at the sad of it all because this family may remind us in some ways of our own or someone's that we know . Who doesn't know a family with a black sheep like Denny ? Who doesn't know what sibling resentments from the
Zoeytron
Mar 03, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: public-library
Don't you just love to come home from work, slip into your favorite pair of sweats and a teeshirt, and settle into your comfy chair for the evening? This is the feeling I get when reading an Anne Tyler novel. Coming home would be the operative phrase. Pure pleasure.

The inner-workings of a family, the intricate meshing and chafing of grown siblings with leftover feelings from when they were young. It all comes through here. It's a quiet tale, well told.
Maxwell
Jun 16, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars This book was such a pleasant surprise. I almost didn’t read it, not for any particular reason other than it just didn’t sound that interesting to me. But I’d heard alright reviews and after it being longlisted for the Man Booker prize this year I decided to give it a try. And wow, what a fantastic reading experience!

I went the audiobook route for this one, and it was definitely worth it. It’s about 13 hours long, but it just breezed by. Kimberly Farr narrates and does a fantastic job
Phrynne
Mar 21, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I always enjoy Anne Tyler's books and this was no exception. As usual she takes us into the lives of an extended family and with very little story but lots of conversation makes the characters into people we know well and are happy to share time with. The pace of the book is slow but infinitely rich in detail and information about the family member's relationships and experiences. I found myself as keen to get back to reading it as I ever am with a fast paced action thriller! I must also add tha ...more
Emer
Oct 03, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Nosey people like me who want to know what really goes on in that one house in the street
When you finish a book in the early hours of the morning and suddenly start crying you know it's a good one! This just touched my heart in so many ways.

"And time... Well you know about time. How slow it is when you're little and how it speeds up faster and faster once you're grown. Well now it's just a blur. I can't keep track of it anymore! But it's like time is sort of balanced. We're young for such a small fraction of our lives, and yet our youth seems to stretch on forever. Then we're old
Helle
(3.5) Anne Tyler has created an entirely believable portrait of an American family in Baltimore. The Whitshanks are a family full of quirks, secrets, opinions and history. We follow their story from one generation to the next – though anachronistically, which is interestingly done – and we follow their ups and downs and how they deal with a death in the family.

The novel is enormously well-written. The characterizations are excellent; anyone wishing to build a story with believable, tangible cha
Larry H
I'd rate this 3.5 stars.

I've been a fan of Anne Tyler for many, many years. In my opinion, there are few authors who can consistently weave compelling, moving stories about both the seemingly mundane and the more dramatic moments families experience.

Apparently Tyler has said that A Spool of Blue Thread , her 20th novel, will be her last. I tried not to let that fact influence my expectations or color my perceptions of the book.

Abby Whitshank has known her husband Red for as long as she can reme
Teresa
Jan 17, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Though I've read all of Tyler, I wasn't hurrying to read this one for some reason. An online group discussion of it next month prompted my doing so now, and I'm glad I did. As if in a pleasurable breeze, the pages flew by, especially during Part One, which is actually the majority of the book. At points I felt like I was reading about my own family, even to the extent that we've recently gone through and are going through some of the same events. I found Abby and Red's daughters not as delineate ...more
Connie
Anne Tyler writes about families and marriage so well that I always close her books thinking how "real" her characters are. "A Spool of Blue Thread" is a multi-generational story about a Baltimore family whose patriarch had roots in a poor, rural town. He started a construction company in the 1930s, built his dream home with a wide front porch, but never quite fit in with his affluent neighbors who had more privileged backgrounds. The Baltimore home almost becomes another character in the story. ...more
Sue
Apr 25, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Spool of Blue Thread is the slowly unwinding story of several generations of a family living in Baltimore during much of the 20th century. This is my first experience reading Anne Tyler--which somehow seems unbelievable (though I remember enjoying the film of Accidental Tourist)--and I enjoyed it a lot.

Every family is it's own self, has its own identity, and that is certainly true of the Whitshanks. They seem almost a mirror--how do they compare to other families? Are they "every" family, as t
Zia
Feb 19, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I didn't know this at the time of reading, but apparently this is Anne Tyler's last novel.

I think she struggled with this book. That's how it felt when I read it, so I am not surprised to hear this is her last.

I absolutely adore Anne Tyler. When she is on she is so-oo on! But she is hit and miss and this book was just weak. In many ways it was typical Anne Tyler, (she herself has said she's written the same book over and over) but it just fell flat.

I know other people say exactly the same thin
Barry Pierce
I haven't much to say about this. It's typical Tyler. It shows that she is still very much in charge of the "family saga" genre that she pioneered over fifty years ago. The first part is clearly where the life of this novel lays, the second half wobbles slightly. Anne Tyler is the literary equivalent of easy listening music.
Chrissie
ETA: Tyler's humor is never mean. You laugh with people not at them. There are all sorts of humor, so I had to clarify.

************************************

I loved the humor of the first section, and it is this section that makes up the largest portion of the whole book. I laughed and laughed and laughed. You should read the book, just for this.

The book unrolls backwards in time, starting in 2012, when Abby and Red Whitshank are in their 70s with adult kids and grandchildren. As with most of Ty
·Karen·
Jan 31, 2016 added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: My mum. She likes cosy.
Shelves: usa
This exceeded my expectations, but probably only because those expectations were fairly subterranean. My sole previous brush with Tyler was Back When We Were Grownups in an edition with that generic back-of-a-woman's-head cover picture that suggests to me that even the publishers didn't know how to give it spice, certainly nothing remains of it except a chaotic family picnic. Bland fodder. White bread sandwich with slick lettuce and tomato.

This was richer, but it's still terribly cosy. A bit li
Vanessa
Jun 18, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
2.5 stars.

Hmm. I'll be honest, I was quite disappointed with this book. In fact, I was very close to DNF-ing it which is a major thing for me (someone who rarely DNFs books). After my book group discussion last night, I can definitely understand the appeal to most people, and Anne Tyler is an incredibly popular writer... but I'm not sure her style is really for me.

This book is essentially a family saga, that jumps between three generations of the Whitshank family and those various timelines. Th
Play Book Tag: A Spool of Blue Thread / Anne Tyler - 3.5*** 7 24 May 30, 2018 12:41PM
Play Book Tag: A Spool of Blue Thread, by Anne Tyler- 3 Stars 4 25 May 27, 2018 08:22AM
Play Book Tag: A Spool of Blue Thread by Anne Tyler - 4 stars 8 27 May 10, 2018 08:27AM
Can anyone offer insight? 6 238 Feb 19, 2018 07:47AM
Goodreads Librari...: please add paperback edition 2 14 Nov 06, 2017 07:12AM
Meanig of the title 4 171 Aug 31, 2017 07:17AM
Around the Year i...: A Spool of Blue Thread, by Anne Tyler 6 97 May 11, 2017 11:37AM
  • Where'd You Go, Bernadette
  • The Underground Railroad
  • Beartown (Beartown, #1)
  • And the Dark Sacred Night
  • The Year of the Runaways
  • The Secret Wisdom of the Earth
  • Small Blessings
  • Early Warning (Last Hundred Years: A Family Saga, #2)
  • The Handmaid's Tale
  • Lila (Gilead, #3)
  • History of the Rain
  • Did You Ever Have a Family
  • The Walk Home
Anne Tyler was born in Minneapolis, Minnesota, in 1941 and grew up in Raleigh, North Carolina. She graduated at nineteen from Duke University and went on to do graduate work in Russian studies at Columbia University. She has published 20 novels, her debut novel being If Morning Ever Comes in (1964). Her eleventh novel, Breathing Lessons , was awarded the Pulitzer Prize in 1988. She is a member ...more
“The trouble with dying,” she’d told Jeannie once, “is that you don’t get to see how everything turns out. You won’t know the ending.” 28 likes
“But it was easier, somehow, to reflect on them all from a distance than to be struggling for room in their midst.” 20 likes