Start by marking “Song of Summer” as Want to Read:
Song of Summer

Song of Summer

The thirteen qualities of Robin’s Perfect Man range from the mildly important “Handsome” to the all-important “Great taste in music.” After all, Westfield’s best high school folk musician can’t go out with some shmuck who only listens to top 40 crap. When hot Carter Paulson walks in the door of Robin’s diner, it looks like the list may have come to life. It’s not until the ...more
Published July 7th 2015 by Bloomsbury Spark

To ask other readers questions about Song of Summer, please sign up.
Laura Anderson I read a lot of blogs by d/Deaf people and took two semesters of ASL from the Western Pennsylvania School for the Deaf, which was awesome. Not only do…moreI read a lot of blogs by d/Deaf people and took two semesters of ASL from the Western Pennsylvania School for the Deaf, which was awesome. Not only do they teach ASL, they also teach about Deaf culture. I got a couple of beta-readers there (my instructors! Thank you!) and they read through the book and fixed a few of my mistakes. I read a lot of articles and watched some Youtube videos, too. I'm also acquainted with a couple of ASL interpreters who have been very helpful!(less)

Start your review of Song of Summer
Aimee ♥ | Aimee, Always
We can probably change the title of this book to Holy Mother of Adorableness and it would still be totally appropriate. My cheeks still hurt from all the smiling I just did!

Right off the bat, you could feel the chemistry radiating between Robin and Carter. I was surprised by how well Anderson played the insta-attraction card--she managed to make it both sweet and realistic. It was the kind of cute that will make you want to reminisce on all the guys and girls you've crushed on before.

Individuall
♥Rachel♥
2.5 Stars

I really enjoyed parts Song of Summer. Ms. Anderson was able to stir up dreamy feelings, and at times it was as if I was under a delicious, swoony spell. Unfortunately, other parts were very angsty, and a few things just didn’t sit well with me.

Robin’s whole life revolves around music. She sings and plays several instruments and working at the Grape Country Dairy diner is helping her save for a coveted guitar. Even her ex-boyfriend, Trent, is all about music which made his dumping of he
Sue (Hollywood News Source)

Song of Summer is adorable, delightful and an extremely important read.

The feeling when you started reading a book and you immediately know, you're going to review it with glowing stars. Because, it was the cutest thing you'd ever encounter. It’s everything you wanted and more. You can't get enough of it. You need to finish it in one go.

This is me with Song of Summer. This book is the cutest I ever read and it’s tremendously significant.

Song of Summer is told from the alternating point of view
Marla Mei
This review is also posted at Her Book Thoughts!

This book is so hard to rate. The blurb suggests that it has all the makings of a favorite novel for me--cute summer read, first loves between two different people, music (!!!), and a deaf MC. Song of Summer has an interesting premise--one that I was so excited to delve into. The beginning itself was very promising. I even shipped Robin and Carter right from the start. THE FEELS WERE ON POINT, GUYS.

So, what the hell happened?

Well, after all the cu
Lisa (lifeinlit)
Jun 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley, e-arc, 2015
3.5 stars!

THIS COVER!!! I’m so drawn to these gorgeous covers. Jenny really outdid herself with this one… it’s so adorable, I can’t contain my love for it.

Robin eats, sleeps and breathes music. It’s her whole life. She always thought the Number 1 thing a boyfriend of hers needed was a similar love of music. Little does she know that she’s going to meet a tall, dark and handsome guy, who wanders into her diner riding on a gorgeous yellow Ducate, that gives her butterflies with his smiles, who als
Katie
Jun 23, 2015 rated it liked it
Robin is a talented, passionate high school musician, working at the Grape County Dairy diner during summer break to save money towards a new guitar. Smarting a bit from being dumped by musician hottie, Trent, Robin makes a list detailing the Perfect Man and determines to wait for him while focusing on her music. Then, Carter Paulson walks in the door of the diner one sunny afternoon. Carter is gorgeous and has eyes that sparkle with good humor and mystery, qualities that quickly move him up on ...more
Jan 12, 2018 rated it liked it
This is a super quick and cute romance story, I was able to read it in an afternoon. I really enjoyed the representation of having a main character who is deaf and being able to read from a different point of view but I just hate open endings so I had to lower my rating.
C.P. Cabaniss
*I received a copy of this novel through Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.*

This was an excellent book. It's more a 4.5 because Robin really annoyed me a few times, but I rounded up. I had to.

The story is told in alternating points of view from Robin, a young musician, and Carter, a profoundly deaf, motorcycle loving guy. They are from two different worlds but somehow have a deep connection. There story is so cute, sad, and hopeful.

The characters and story are well written and thought
Kelli Spear
Feb 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Okay, so I really enjoyed this one. It grabbed me immediately and I found myself loving the cuteness of the story. Sometimes you don't need crazy moments to love a story.

Carter and Robin were adorable from the start. I was thankful we got both points of view, because I enjoy getting to know how each person thinks and reacts to the things that happen to them. I'm not gonna lie, there is a ton of angst in this book (and some foreseen drama), but that made it more enjoyable for me.

Carter is just w
Kirsty-Marie Jones
Jun 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
I DO NOT LIKE OPEN FUCKING ENDINGS. MEAN MEAN FUCKING MEAN.
Grace {Rebel Mommy Book Blog}
Jun 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
This review was originally posted on Rebel Mommy Book Blog Review
First off have you seen that cover?? Is it not adorable?? I fell in love with it and so happy I did because I really enjoyed the story it housed.

Robin is a girl from a small town who is a waitress, loves the annual craft fair and lives and breathes music. Newly single, she comes up with a list of qualities for her perfect guy. No sooner does Carter walk into her diner. He spends his summer in the town over with his family every ye
Brandi Kosiner
Jul 14, 2015 rated it liked it
I wanted to read Song of Summer because I am drawn to teens with illnesses or disabilities, and ASL has always interested me. I tried to learn it at one point, but only remember a bit. I also liked the tension that comes about with her passion for music and that she is falling for a boy who can't hear it.

The romance is sweet, and I loved their instant connection. I thought it was hilarious that she thought he was gay at first because he came into the diner with a guy friend, and he just texte
Alanna (The Flashlight Reader)
I had high hopes for this one. Such high, high hopes. Unfortunately, I was left a bit disappointed.

I have mixed feelings on the characters. I like Carter. Robin is ok. Some people might like Robin but she just didn't mesh with me for some reason. There really isn't anything wrong with Robin per se but I just did not like her much at all in some parts of the book. The musical references were over the top, even for someone that "loves music more than life". And this, is what probably put me over t
Ms. Yingling
Jun 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
E ARC from Netgalley.com

Robin works as a waitress in a small diner near the ritzy community of Chautauqua. She is saving her tip money for a new guitar, since she plays in a band (with ex-boyfriend Trent) and loves music. The older waitresses joke with her about finding the "perfect man" and her list of qualifications is on the staff bulletin board. When dishy Carter comes in with his friend, she thinks at first that the two are on a date, but it turns out that Carter isn't speaking because he i
Kayla Rivoli
I received an electronic advanced reader copy of this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Check out more reviews on my blog: http://kaylablogs.com/category/kayla-...

Song of Summer was a cute, boy-meets-girl kind of book. I didn't love it, but I didn't hate it either. At times, the story felt almost too predictable and there were definitely lulls.

This book is about a girl named Robin who loves music more than anything (she's kind of obsessive about it). She meets this boy, Carter
CeCe
2.5 Stars

WARNING: A few spoilers.

There was a lot of turning red and sweaty hands and faces that grew red which became annoying very quickly. (loc 504, 552, 1107, 1168, 1208, 1434, 1445, 1668).

I enjoyed the story, but there were a few things that annoyed me.

I love and I mean LOVE ex-girlfriend drama, but not when the hero allows certain things to happen. Carter took Jolene (his ex-girlfriend) on his motorcycle to a special place that Robin and he shared. Robin was already feeling insecure about
Carrie DiRisio
May 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: diverse-books
This book... It is a PERFECT summer read. It's a love story, told in alternatting voices, between tan and handsome Carter, and musical, funny Robin. Carter is a total perfect book boyfriend. Protective, rich, motorcycle-driving, lover of ice-cream, skilled with his fingers because...oh yeah. Carter is deaf.

Robin is that girl you want for your best friend. She's the Taylor Swift of a tiny town called Westfield. Music is in her soul, and she's so sure whatever guy she falls for is gonna love musi
Sara
Jun 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
I read and am reviewing an ARC (digital format) of this book.

This will be a must-have for the next batch of romance books for my high school library. Here's why:

It really is cute. Robin and Carter are both very likable; you root for them individually and as a couple. They both have pretty good lives; the main plot isn't bogged down by unrealistic teen drama or family issues. The inclusion of ASL and deaf culture is done in a manner that isn't forced but enjoyable.

If this were a teen movie, I cou
♡ Jeri's Book Attic ♡ Jeri the Romance Bibiliophile ♡

If there is Something I really struggle to work with its Insta Love and Open Ends and unfortunately this book has both. While I almost managed to overlook the Instalove because of the sweet basic story - it was the open end that made me unhappy - like really unhappy, therefore ...

═══ PLEASE SUBSCRIBE / LIKE / FOLLOW US ════

Blog : https://www.jerisbookattic.com
FB Page : https://www.facebook.com/JerisBookAttic
Twitter : https://twitter.com/JeriTRyan
Goodreads : https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/2.
Julianne
Jul 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. It is a good companion book to Five Flavors of Dumb by Antony John. It is a great commentary on Deaf culture and the hearing world expectations. As I have recently taken a class in ASL and Deaf Culture, I really enjoyed this book and it reiterated the lessons I learned.
Jen Nogueira
Jan 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
I really really loved this book! I'm only giving it 4 stars instead of 5 because 1) The ending was ??????? Didn't feel like an ending at all and 2) Robin's attitude toward the end of a book was so unlike her.

I really hope there's a sequel to this! *fingers crossed* (Full review to come).
kory.
Honestly, I expected to love this. But I don't. I hate it, actually. Carter deserves so much better. This book isn't a romance between a Deaf boy and hearing girl. This book isn't an attempt to give Deaf teens representation. This book is to educate hearing people. This book is a romance where the Big Issue/Angst Plot is one person's Deafness.

This book was praised on Twitter and honestly, fuck y'all. This book had me enraged the entire time.

The author apparently did a lot of research and whatnot
Christina
My original review of this title can be found here on The Book Hookup.

**Disclaimer:** An e-ARC of this title was provided by the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. However, that did not influence this review in any way. All thoughts, quotes, and opinions will be of this version and not of the published edition.

Quick Thoughts and Rating: 4 stars! Overall, this was a super cute, quick read. There were a few swoons, a few tears, and adorable characters, that includes bo
Jami Lilo
Apr 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this sweet romance. Both MCs are strong and their POVs are clear and engaging. I learned a lot about what it is like to be deaf, which was fascinating and the author does it in a way that is organic and effortless (it never feels forced or preachy). Robin's eternal love of music is the perfect obstacle for Robin and Carters love. Overall, well written and charming. I loved the side characters at the diner as well.
Kate
Apr 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-english
OMG THAT ENDING IT'S JUST SO FREAKING MEAN!!
Jan 26, 2018 rated it liked it
"Life is pain, Highness. Anybody who says differently is selling something."

"The truth is, I don't know. And I don't want his life to change, but I want to change his life, you know?"

"The chemistry of music is like the chemistry of love, but they are not the same thing: two people can go hand in hand but that doesn't make them the same person."
Christina (A Reader of Fictions)

Once again, I picked up a book based on a cover. Sure, contemporary romances hold a lot of appeal, but, to be honest, I’m skeptical of ebook only imprints, which probably isn’t fair. However, the cover is so cute, and I have auto approval and an itchy download finger. Well, the good news is that Song of Summer is adorably fluffy but also deep, and I really loved it. The bad news is that I can’t be a copy for my physical shelves. Seriously, though, give Song of Summer a chance. I know th
Asiya
Feb 26, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-in-2017
Geez, I had a bunch of issues with this.
1. Show, don't tell.
2. Why the fuck did the MC (view spoiler)
3. So much sap (but this is probably my fault for picking up a romance)
4. The story was left open ended and did not resolve the issue.
5. Horrible characterization for the MC. Also, 2D minor characters and stereotypes love interest
6. How can you sign (as in use the sign language) in the dark? Or when you aren't facing each other. Ridiculous way t
Cassandra Giovanni
Sep 06, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: young adults
Alessandra Casu
Jun 15, 2017 rated it liked it
I can't really give a rate to this book, cause in my point of view is not complete. So I decided to give 3 stars 'cause if the book won't have a sequel then my rate are 2 stars, but if the book will have a sequel then my rate is 4 stars.
The love story among the two is very sweet and tender, given that they are two teenagers and that the love story takes place during the summer vacations, I find Carter a bit more mature than Robin, maybe because he has to face a lot of problems in his life.
I wo

• The Lies About Truth
  • We Were Never Here
  • Breath Like Water
  • The Opposite of Falling Apart
  • Flirting with Fame (Love in Disguise, #1)
  • The Summer I Found You
  • How It Feels to Fly
  • The Girl I Didn't Kill For (Jessie & Nick, #2)
  • Breaking the Ice (Juniper Falls, #2)
  • Tracking You (Redwood Ridge #2)
Laura Lee Anderson is a traditionally published author, freelance editor, actor, and urban youth mentor from the North Side of Pittsburgh. She is a mother of three, and in 2010, she and her husband started a semi-professional summer Shakespeare company for at-risk youth and young professionals, called Urban Impact Shakes. Her Young Adult novel, SONG OF SUMMER, was published by Bloomsbury Spark in ...more

News & Interviews