Start by marking “The Second Child” as Want to Read:
The Second Child

The Second Child

World War II has been over for more than a year. In Nuremberg, the day before he is to be executed, a Nazi war criminal calls U.S. Army Lt. John Hurtree to his prison cell and tries to negotiate with information about the identity of a child in a photograph. Hurtree refuses the bargain, but the question of the child plagues his life even after retirement.

Stockholm, Swede
Published April 28th 2015 by SilverWood Books

To ask other readers questions about The Second Child, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Second Child

Start your review of The Second Child
Christoph Fischer
Aug 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
"The Second Child" by Jon Stenhugg is a well written and neatly plotted novel - part thriller, part alternate history. It concerns a murder taking place in Sweden in 1996 and the identity of a child in a picture from Germany during the Nazi period. The story takes our investigative team to archives in Germany and Sweden. Thriller fans will be pleaed as the book is well paced and has some excellent suspense.
Although set in fairly recent times the book delves deep into the past and serves some int
Robert Pacholik
Jul 30, 2015 rated it really liked it

The Second Child Review July 30, 2015

by Robert M. Pacholik
author of NIGHT FLARES, and CRAB LOUIE

Looking for a gripping tale of intrigue set in the mists of time, yet, as current as the governments that stumble all over the planet? Well, pick up Jon Stenhugg’s Nordic noir thriller, ‘The Second Child’, and get buckled in for a thrilling ride.

The Second Child opens in Nuremberg (West Germany) in 1946 where then Army Lt. John Hurtree interviews a Nazi war criminal who is due to be hanged the v
Helena
Feb 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
Although I can't consider myself a fan of the alternate history genre, I think that this book has an interesting take on the global history and one of its notorious leaders.

When we think of our historical past, we usually tend to focus on the prominent people and their deeds, like Hitler and his utopia of a unified racial community. We could also wonder, for a change -- after the bad guys had vanished, and the world had taken its course as we know it, what happened to their lovers and their chi
Gini Grossenbacher
Aug 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
Fast-paced, setting-enriched novel that follows the intriguing questions dogging Hitler to this day.
Mattias Lönnqvist
So, I read the free chapters in the Kindle store, deciding if I should buy and read this. I decided not to, which is why I set it as did-not-finish and dont give it a rating.

There were several reasons why I decided not to finish it, with the main reason being that the story never grabbed me, which is caused by several things:

1. I assume that "the second child" in the picture is supposed to be a mystery, and maybe adding some suspense to the story, making the reader yearn to learn who it is. Well
Cindy
Jan 10, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 1900-present
This story was a good historical fiction, alternate history and murder mystery mixture. It gives you a background history right after the Nuremburg trials. Hitler's number 2 in command was going to be executed. He gave a CID agent a picture. The picture was of some little children, but the second female child was kept a mystery. Fast forward to Stockholm Sweden in 1996. The Swedish police are investigating two murders, a doctor and a nurse. The murders are connected to the female child in the pi ...more
Sue Schneir
Jan 08, 2018
Libby van Tonder
Jul 11, 2020
Boris Brodsky
rated it did not like it
Sep 26, 2017
Apr 02, 2016
Angela Dunlop
Apr 19, 2016
Jon Stenhugg
Aug 22, 2017 marked it as to-read  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition

• Time Heals No Wounds (Baltic Sea Crime #1)
  • Vom gleichen Blut (Ein Nik-Pohl-Thriller 2)
  • Die For Me
  • Grave Intent  (Jan Tommen Investigation #2)
  • Until the Debt is Paid  (Jan Tommen Investigation #1)
  • KULT
  • Middle Falls Time Travel Series, Books 1-3
  • Middle Falls Time Travel Series, Books 4-6 (Middle Falls Time Travel Boxed Sets Book 2)
  • The Devil Drinks Coffee (Kate Saxee Mystery #1)
  • Middle Falls Time Travel Series, Books 7-9 (Middle Falls Time Travel Boxed Sets Book 3)
  • Middle Falls Time Travel Series, Books 10-12: Middle Falls Time Travel Boxed Sets Book Four
  • Sins of the Fathers
  • Sam Harris Boxset 1-3
  • Cold Wide Open Eyes (Hugo Storm Crime Thrillers Book 2)
  • Torn (CSI Reilly Steel, #2)
  • What's Yours Is Mine
  • The Long Fix Forever: The Scottish Crime Drama! (Hugo Storm Crime Thrillers Book 3)
  • Twisted Vine (Lei Crime, #5)

News & Interviews