Start by marking “The Burning (The Haunting of Grey Hills, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Burning (The Haunting of Grey Hills, #1)

The Burning

(The Haunting of Grey Hills #1)

Everyone in Grey Hills knows about the fire that burned down the old high school fifty years ago. Macy Pierce grew up hearing horror stories about the students who burned alive inside it. It was a tragic accident...right? After Macy's brother dies over the summer, she doesn't expect the first day of her junior year to feel normal. But when she starts seeing things - ...more
Published 2016 by Abdo Consulting Group, Inc. (first published September 1st 2015)

To ask other readers questions about The Burning, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Burning

Start your review of The Burning (The Haunting of Grey Hills, #1)
Leigh Collazo
Jun 09, 2015 rated it it was ok

More reviews at Mrs. ReaderPants.

WHAT I LIKED: The story begins quickly and is easy to get into, which will help encourage reluctant readers to keep reading. The plot is easy to follow and suspenseful. For about the first half, I enjoyed the story and looked forward to reading.

WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE: So much profanity. If you have read my reviews before, you probably know that profanity does not much affect whether or not I purchase a book for my school. After working with middle and high school
Meg
Aug 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Very compelling ghost story with intriguing characters, definitely kept me on the edge of my seat. I read most of it in one sitting because I couldn't put it down.

The author did a great job building tension and moving the story forward. I loved the characters and I think the author successfully captured the way teenagers - especially teenagers in a difficult situation - speak. The end was abrupt but that is pretty standard for books that are part of a series.

I loved the book and can't wait for
Nikki Gomez Hatake
Nov 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
paula
Gr 8-Up -- Macy Pierce starts her junior year of high school isolated and grieving after the death of her older brother Nick in an alcohol-related car crash. Nobody knows what to say to her, least of all her former friend Jackson, who is living with grief of his own. And when she freaks out after seeming to hallucinate a teacher burning to death in front of the class, tongues really start to wag. Fortunately, she makes some new friends - Trev, Sam, and Dom. Unfortunately, the three claim to be ...more
Hhslibrary
Sep 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Macy has enough to deal with as she returns to school after the death of her brother, without also seeing horrifying images, including a teacher bursting into flames at the front of a classroom. Living in Grey Hills, everyone is aware of the legend of the old high school that burned down and took many lives with it. Is there a connection between Macy's fiery images and the old high school? Strange and dangerous things start to happen at the high school, and only a few students seem to be able to ...more
Joy
Jul 17, 2019 rated it liked it
Was the plot well crafted? No. Were the characters dynamic? No. But I will certainly be recommending this to my less confident readers. It looks like a high school book. It reads like many high school ghost stories, but at a reading level that many of my special education students will be comfortable with picking up. It doesn't look like a "baby book."
Winnie
Jun 06, 2017 rated it it was ok
Macy new to a town discovers that her high school is haunted through horror stories and starts to question her sanity once she starts seeing things. I was not really into this book as much. I stopped reading for a bit. I want to try and finish the book and continue with the series some time this summer. I recommend this book to readers who are interested in horror type of books.
Rachelle
Mar 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Read this book is about 2 hours. Was quick and engaging. Loved the story.

This young girl has to find a way to learn how to deal with her new ability to see ghosts and what is happening around her. I won't give a lot away but I recommend it to anyone who likes a not too scary ghost story, but an intriguing storyline.

First of a 6 book series.
Kirsten
It's rare to read a thriller written for a YA audience with such a perceptive sense of character and such wonderful descriptive writing. I found myself snickering at the wisecracking, acerbic characters, particularly Macy. Of course, these high schoolers are much cooler than I was in high school...they're more like the high schoolers I *wished* I could be. I found myself very drawn in by the eerie tone of The Burning and its accelerating sense of danger lurking ahead. The paranormal touches were ...more
Meg
Apr 17, 2016 rated it liked it
Not a bad read but not that great either. I have to ask though. HOW THE HELL IS THIS A MIDDLE GRADE BOOK?!?!?! There are so many curse words used in this book it should have a picture of a sailor on it. Or maybe a trucker.

Aside from the major use of profanity I had other issues with the book. I mean, it's only 216 pages long. How many issues can a short book have? Plenty.

I won't list them ALL but I will mention the biggest issue. How is this not almost totally not like The Legion series by Kami
Alicia
Jun 13, 2015 rated it it was ok
This high/low read filled with unnecessary cursing and plenty of white space to encourage readers to invest themselves in a mystery of a burning school that killed many students and faculty fifty years ago is not stellar. Trying to keep pace over a few days to countdown until the fifty year anniversary which coincides with the senior sleep-in in school isn't tense and there really doesn't seem to be a reason for a true mystery to be solved with a creepy crew of three teenagers who are supposed ...more
Elizabeth
Aug 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015, women-writers
A compelling and suspenseful read that had me looking for the second volume as soon as I finished! Beautifully evokes its northwest setting and believably captures what it's like to be a teenager, from the language the characters use to the evolving and sometimes awkward relationships with childhood friends and parents. Although the plot is supernatural, the depiction of collective and individual trauma is realistic. I can't wait to dive into the next one!
Michelle
Jul 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I wasn't quite sure what to expect when I picked up this book. But what started as a plan to read for a few minutes, quickly turned into me finishing the book in a single read. I can't wait for the rest of the series to come out, so that I can find out what happens to Macy and the rest of Grey Hills.
Tori
May 14, 2015 rated it liked it
Hmmm, this novel seems like it could be a hi/lo read. I would guess it to be at about a 3rd or 4th grade reading level. I guess I would give it 2.5 stars. I think some low level reading students might find it of interest.
Rianna
Dec 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015
an interesting idea for a series but ill have to read the next book in order to figure out if i really like it.
Sep 28, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2016
A lot of unnecessary use of the F word!
Lora
Sep 20, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: ya, hi-lo, horror
Not bad for hi lo. The goggle guy was creepy. The kids should like it anyway. But....series.
Michele
Sep 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Love this series read them all back to back
Amy
Oct 06, 2016
Robin
Mar 24, 2016
Karen Amburgey
rated it did not like it
Jul 27, 2019
May 13, 2016
Alexa
Jun 12, 2017
Ash †Reviews of a FearStreetZombie†
When I saw this book in the library, I didn't even have to read what it was about. The cover alone made me know I HAD to read it. So I got home and that's exactly what I did.

And I quickly realized this book should not be in Middle Grade/Young Adult section. It should be in Mature YA/Adult.

As much as I really want to give this book 5 stars, I can't. The Burning has potential. It really does. But there is just a lot that really ticked me off. Such as:

-the profanity. It's was unnecessary. I could
« previous 1 3 next »

• Witch World Saga 1-3: The Original Three Books
  • The Outlaw and the Upstart King (The Map of Unknown Things, #2)
  • More Than This
  • Heart Full of Lies
  • I Hunt Killers (I Hunt Killers, #1)
  • Serial Killers: Addicted to Murder
  • Blanca & Roja
  • The Waking Forest
  • Homer's Odyssey
  • Ancient Egypt: Life, Myth and Art
  • Long Lankin (Long Lankin, #1)
  • The Bazaar of Bad Dreams
  • Suicide Notes from Beautiful Girls
  • Fear: 13 Stories of Suspense and Horror
  • Thornhill
  • Hattie Big Sky (Hattie, #1)
  • The Ask and the Answer (Chaos Walking, #2)
  • The Infinite Lives of Maisie Day

The Haunting of Grey Hills (6 books)
  • Forests of the Night (The Haunting of Grey Hills, #2)
  • What Dread Hand (The Haunting of Grey Hills, #3)
  • Sinews of Thy Heart (The Haunting of Grey Hills, #4)
  • Distant Deep (The Haunting of Grey Hills, #5)
  • Tyger, Tyger (The Haunting of Grey Hills, #6)