Start by marking “A Geek Girl's Guide to Murder (Geek Girl Mysteries #1)” as Want to Read:
A Geek Girl's Guide to Murder (Geek Girl Mysteries #1)

A Geek Girl's Guide to Murder (Geek Girl Mysteries #1)

3.79  ·  Rating details ·  377 Ratings  ·  91 Reviews
IT manager Mia Connors is up to her tortoiseshell glasses in technical drama when a glitch in the Horseshoe Falls email system disrupts security and sends errant messages to residents of the gated community. The snafu’s timing couldn’t be worse—Renaissance Faire season is in full swing and Mia’s family’s business relies on her presence.

Mia doesn’t have time to hunt down a
ebook
Published August 31st 2015 by Carina Press

Paige  Bookdragon

description

Alright. So normally I have to finish reading a book within 2 days because I usually lost any interest if the book stays unfinished for a long time. A Geek Girl's Guide to Murder took me almost a week to finish.

I think I'm not just used with the author's way of writing that's why it took me days to finish the book but I love the story. I enjoyed it despite being an unconventional read.

First thing that I really liked is the slow romance. I love reading romance as long as it's properly built and e
CuppaGeek
Sep 24, 2015 rated it did not like it
This book was offered free for review from NetGalley. All views are my own.

I hate to say it, but I didn't like this book at all. I felt like the main character was supposed to be this geek girl but she wasn't. She wore short skirts and plunging necklines. High heels and cozplayed in costumes that showed off her assets?

I do consider myself a geek in so many ways and I have friends who are also geeks. We do not dress like that nor do we go around trying to proclaim that we are geeks. We are geek
Judy
As a self proclaimed Geek Girl myself, when I saw the title of this, I absolutely had to take a look. When i saw it was a Cozy Mystery, I was all in, and it was fantabulous!

Mia is an IT Manager at a private gated community where her grandmother lives. She proudly admits to being a Geek, into Cosplay, Social Media and very awkward in social situations. But she's also a girly girl with a thing for shoes and bags, and though she's a techie, she freely admits that she's not a hacker... just really
Tacuazin
Oct 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
Starting it today. It's been a tough week, I need some fluffy read. And if the heroine is an IT girl, even better.

In my mind, I can only see Ms. Felicity Smoak.

description
Luli
You can find this review in English below.

Esta ha sido una lectura rara. Con personajes de cartón y una trama que roza lo fantástico de irrealista que es.

La protagonista es una supermodelo multimillonaria, a la que le gustan los ordenadores. ¡Ah! Pero usa gafas… Esto es lo más geek que vas a encontrar en la historia. La chica viste con minifaldas y taconazos y tiene locos a la mitad de los hombres con los que se relaciona, y claro, ella no se da ni cuenta. No se da cuenta de eso ni de que invest
Heather Duff
Aug 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
Mia is a geek and she is proud of that fact, she works in IT, she drives a pink MINI, she plays RPG's and she takes part in Renaissance Faires (willingly).

The one thing she isn't is a murderer but when one of her best friends is found dead in her office the fingers start getting pointed in her direction.

Mia is in charge of IT at exclusive gated community Horseshoe Falls and the days leading up to the murder of her friend don't go to plan, the residents have been receiving emails offering to do
Pavitra (For The Love of Fictional Worlds)
Actual Rating 4.5 Stars

Hilarious book! Review to come closer to the release date :)
Britney
Feb 18, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: nookbooks, rtyr, wom-reads
When I saw the title I was not thinking it would be about an IT girl that likes RPG computer games, dressing up like a fairy tale queen and watching movies. Her loves for computer games puts her in the middle of a dangerous stalker.

A cute, sometimes laughable cozy that has an IT girl on the search of a mysterious email tail that could put her life in danger.
Toni
Sep 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
5 STARS - A MUST READ SERIES!

IT Manager, Mia Connors is the Horseshoe Falls it girl. She dresses in costume even on a normal day and love the vintage, steampunk look. So, it is easy to say, she is not your everyday ordinary gal. Her family owns a beauty company that is targeted for the Renaissance Faire crowd. And she is the face of the company. Everything about Mia is just uber cool.

Mia’s coolness is tested when one of her best friends is found dead in her office and her other friend, Nate has
Kelly
Jun 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
Overall, I liked this book a lot. I liked Mia. I liked her off-beat family. I liked her geeky friends. Well, I liked one of her geeky friends. However, I feel like we were shortchanged on the romance. I'm HOPING it's because this is book 1 of a series and we'll get more resolution down the road because it felt like there was a lot of potential for steamy hook-ups and awesome romantic banter and it didn't quite pan out.

That said, Mia's life is a fun, fun place to visit. She gets to dress up in aw
Linda Quick
Jun 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
I loved this book so much that I was sorry when it ended. It grabbed me from the first page and kept me turning pages late into the night because I couldn't put it down.

Mia is a quirky geek IT girl. While brilliant, she has a very limited ability to interact with other people, especially men. So when the new head of security, Jake, arrives, she is at a loss as to how to talk to him. Add security problems at her job that keeps him in her orbit, and many funny interactions follow. Throw a murder i
Diane ~Firefly~
I really liked Mia. She lives up to the title by being very geeky, has a job in IT and is akward with people. She's got a great family who are a bit kooky and the place she works leaves lots of options open for further mysteries.

The mystery was pretty good, although I figured out a couple things way before Mia did. I will definitely check out the next one.
Sandy
Jun 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A spunky, geeky heroine! Loved the story line and the tension between the characters.
Jaymie
Apr 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was so fun! I adored the main character - she's crazy smart, funny, and a little awkward. The rest of the characters were great, too. The sister and BIL's work on sexuality was an odd little piece of the story, but it added to some of the humor and a unique tone to their parts of the story. The mystery was good - I figured out the culprit, but had to wait for all the reasons to be revealed. I will definitely be reading the other books in this series.
Breakaway Reviewers
Sep 02, 2015 rated it liked it
Violence Invades a Gaming Girl’s Life, 1 Sept. 2015
Mia Connors is a self-confessed geek who works as IT Manager at Horseshoe Falls, a gated community for those people who value nature and the outdoors lifestyle. She has a close family including her identical twin, Bree, and two good ‘geeky’ friends, Nate and Baxter. Mia is more than happy with her life especially as she relates best to IT issues and online gaming relationships; she doesn’t date and shows no sign of following Bree into marriage a
Clare O'Beara
Sep 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: america-crime, i-t
I like a lot about this book, which is a fun look at an American lifestyle for an intelligent girl, who gets involved with a murder investigation.

A girl who runs the computer system in a large gated community, is shocked when one of her pals is found dead in her ergonomically designed office. The lad was not an employee and an alarm was tripped, drawing the new security officer. Another of the girl's friends has gone missing and she gets worried about his safety, though it seems strange that sh
Kate  K. F.
Feb 17, 2016 rated it it was ok
This score is more accurately 2 1/2 stars for me, because this book was a mess with some good moments in it. Mia felt like a person that I wouldn't mind hanging out with as did some of her co-workers and family, but the hero made no sense and the plot was a mess. I wanted to like this book more than I did, because there were points I would be happily reading along and then get stopped by something that made no sense.

There were a lot of contrivances and they all seemed to revolve around the hero
Vanessa
Aug 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I received this book from Carina Press on Netgalley for an honest review. This does not in have any bearing on my review.

I loved it. If a book makes me laugh, we're off to a great start! This book had me laughing so hard, i had tears running down my face. Julie Anne Lindsey did a great job, in endearing Mia Connors to me.

Mia Connors is a quirky, cute, kick-ass, jimmy choo wearing geek. She is Head of IT at Horseshoe Falls, a gated community. Someone is hacking into her system and wreaking havoc.
Paula Ratcliffe
Aug 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Leslie aka StoreyBook Reviews
Computer geeks, hunky security men and murder, who would have thought this would be a winning combination?!

I love that Mia was beautiful and smart but socially awkward. She decides to investigate the murder of her friend despite what the new head of security wants. It doesn't hurt that he is easy on the eyes and flusters Mia throughout the book - hence the social awkwardness.

The killer isn't obvious and I think I figured it out at the end right before this person was revealed. There are not a lo
Liza
Dec 07, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015-challenge
The was a (mostly) decently written mystery with a geeky female protagonist. Overall, it was an enjoyable read.

Mia could be a delightful character -- smart, funny, nervy, geeky -- except for one thing. I could very much do without her constant self-directed body-shaming. It detracted from the story and added nothing to the character. It wasn't relateable, and at a few points it was downright offensive. I'd like to read a book without having to listen to incessant prattle about calories for once
Jennifer Jamieson
Jun 24, 2015 rated it it was ok
Mia is in IT for a residential community. She deals with the usual compliment of cranky users, email issues, and apparently....murder? A new security guy Jake enters the scene, and then things get pretty complicated.

As an IT professional, I found some of the background IT bits distracting to the book, because I didn't find them consistent with how things are typically done, but a non-IT person would likely be ok with them.

The sexual tension with a character like Jake was also a bit frustrating.
Sam
Mar 08, 2016 rated it liked it
2.5-3 stars downgraded due to total left-field villain motivation. The WTF feeling for that whole scene was a little hard to get over.
Jinan H
adored this. review soon
Laurie
Apr 27, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: reviewed
I read all three books in the series over the course of a couple of days, so apologies if the books blend together a little bit.

First, the Mary Sue heroine - gorgeous, a millionaire, amazing wardrobe, super smart, every man in the world is in love with her, but of course the detractors, she has no idea about the in love with part, and she's a "geek", in the she likes RPGs, RenFaire, computers, ComicCon, and that apparently isn't a good thing. As a heroine in what is marketed as a romance (also a
Lovey Dovey Books
Oct 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cozy-mystery
Originally published on Lovey Dovey Books

With the flair of Joelle Charbonneau and the fandom geekiness of Cathy Yardley, Geek Girls Guide to Murder proves to be a well-rounded read. Julie Anne Lindsey touches the heart of the girl who owns her quirks and manages to save the day despite her social anxiety. If that doesn't kick butt, what does?

This hilarious and modern cozy mystery series is the perfect read for a chilly fall weekend. Though you might be able to finger the culprit early on, like i
Sandra Gonzalez
Sep 08, 2017 rated it did not like it
Melinda
Feb 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cozy-mystery
Another great by Julie Anne Lindsey! I do have to say I found this book more fun than her other books. It was so easy to fall in love with the characters. Plus Mia's awkwardness is something I can completely relate to. Although a mystery, it had a very light-hearted fun feel. I look forward to reading the rest in this series!
Amy
Awww maaannnn... I guessed the bad guy! I don't like it when that happens! Overall it was a pretty decent little "cozy" mystery about a geeky girl (who is beautiful, of course) and the murder mystery that she becomes involved in. It took me awhile to get through, since I kept falling asleep (getting old stinks) Probably won't finish the series.
  • Let Them Eat Stake (Vampire Chef, #2)
  • Cover Shot: A Nichelle Clarke Crime Thriller
  • A Muddied Murder (A Greenhouse Mystery #1)
  • The Semester of Our Discontent (Lila Maclean Academic Mystery #1)
  • The Sound of Murder  (Ivy Meadows Mysteries, #2)
  • Mama Gets Trashed (A Mace Bauer Mystery, #5)
  • Murder on a Designer Diet (A Red Carpet Catering Mystery, #3)
  • Slayed on the Slopes (Pacific Northwest Mystery #2)
  • Death in Perspective (A Cherry Tucker Mystery, #4)
  • The Final Reveille (Living History Museum, #1)
  • With a Vengeance (Zoe Chambers Mysteries, #4)
  • Trouble Under the Tree (Nina Quinn, #6)
  • A Custom-Fit Crime (A Magical Dressmaking Mystery #4)
  • Give Em Pumpkin To Talk About
  • Murder Most Malicious (A Lady & Lady's Maid Mystery, #1)
  • In the Drink (Mack's Bar Mystery, #3)
  • One Potion in the Grave (A Magic Potion Mystery, #2)
  • Flowerbed of State (A White House Gardener Mystery, #1)
Julie Anne Lindsey is a multi-genre author who writes the stories that keep her up at night. She’s a self-proclaimed nerd with a penchant for words and proclivity for fun. Julie lives in Ohio with her husband and three spunky children. Today, she hopes to make someone smile. One day she plans to change the world. Julie is a member of the International Thriller Writers, Romance Writers of America), ...more
More about Julie Anne Lindsey

Geek Girl Mysteries (3 books)
  • A Geek Girl's Guide to Arsenic (Geek Girl Mysteries #2)
  • A Geek Girl's Guide to Justice (Geek Girl Mysteries #3)

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• Killman Creek (Stillhouse Lake, #2)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Shaken (Jack Daniels Mystery, #7)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Her Last Day (Jessie Cole, #1)
  • Split Second
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Killing Lessons (Valerie Hart, #1)
  • Scat
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Blood Money (Joe Dillard #6)
  • Bluebird, Bluebird
    $13.99 $2.99
  • The Falcon at the Portal (Amelia Peabody, #11)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • In Good Faith (Joe Dillard #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Forbidden Stone (The Copernicus Legacy, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Monogram Murders
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Hanging Judge (The Judge Norcross Novels)
  • The Visitant: A Venetian Ghost Story
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Die Like an Eagle (Meg Langslow #20)
  • Damaged
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Virgin in the Ice (The Chronicles of Brother Cadfael)
  • Little Monsters
    $10.99 $1.99
  • A Reason to Live (A Marty Singer Mystery Book 1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Agatha Raisin and the Potted Gardener (Agatha Raisin, #3)
  • Infinity Born
    $6.99 $2.49
  • True Fiction (Ian Ludlow Thrillers #1)
  • The Long and Faraway Gone
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Deadly Recall (Jessie Cole, #2)
  • The Curse of the Pharaohs
  • When You Disappeared
  • Queenpin
  • I'm Thinking of Ending Things
  • Song of Kali
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Counterfeit Heiress (Lady Emily, #9)
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Ugly Young Thing (Strangers #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Burglars Can't Be Choosers (Rhodenbarr, #1)
  • Trespassing
    $5.99 $2.99
  • In Cold Blood (A Beatrix Rose Thriller Book 1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Lord Peter Views the Body (Lord Peter Wimsey, #4)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Stranger Inside (Strangers #4)
  • The Remains
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Doubt (Caroline Auden, #1)
  • The Marriage Pact
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Signature Wounds (A Grale Thriller Book 1)
  • The Trouble with Goats and Sheep
    $11.99 $2.99
  • The Naturalist (The Naturalist #1)
  • The Girl from the Sea
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Hammerhead Ranch Motel (Serge Storms Mystery, #2)
    $2.99 $1.99
  • The Five Red Herrings (Lord Peter Wimsey, #7)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Lady Cop Makes Trouble  (Kopp Sisters #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Stillhouse Lake (Stillhouse Lake, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Death in the Devil's Acre (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt, #7)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • And Only to Deceive (Lady Emily, #1)
    $10.49 $1.99
  • Furious (Faith McMann Trilogy, #1)
  • The Forgotten Ones
  • Moving Day
  • Jade Dragon Mountain
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Hangman's Daughter (The Hangman's Daughter, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The 19th Wife
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Dead Over Heels (Aurora Teagarden, #5)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Whole Enchilada (A Goldy Schulz Culinary Mystery #17)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Bourne Identity (Jason Bourne, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Curse (Blur Trilogy #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Poisonous (Max Revere, #3)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • An Expert in Murder (Josephine Tey, #1)
    $4.74 $1.99
  • Mission Flats
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Pigeon English
    $13.99 $1.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Persons Unknown (DS Manon, #2)
  • The Given Day
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Cold Vengeance (Pendergast, #11)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Outrage (Faith McMann Trilogy, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Lion (John Corey, #5)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Injustice For All (Joe Dillard #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wrath (Faith McMann Trilogy, #3)
  • The Stockholm Octavo
  • Fractured
  • The Winter Over
  • American by Day
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Shifting Tide (William Monk, #14)
  • The Necklace
  • Good Behavior
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Big Fear (Hollow City Series, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Birdman
  • Clockers
  • Never Smile at Strangers
  • The Moonlit Garden
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Holy Island (DCI Ryan Mysteries, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Barkeep
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Good Liar
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Cold (A Joe Tiplady Thriller #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Criminal Defense (Philadelphia Legal #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Poppy Done to Death (Aurora Teagarden, #8)
  • Twisted
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Open and Shut (Andy Carpenter Series, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • No Shred of Evidence (Inspector Ian Rutledge, #18)
    $10.99 $1.99
“Of course not. Normal people didn’t do that kind of thing. Socially awkward girls with insane imaginations did.” 0 likes