Start by marking “The Bone Snatcher” as Want to Read:

The Bone Snatcher

Sophie Seacove is a storyteller. She tells stories of what the world would be like if madness hadnt taken over. If her parents hadnt sold her off as a servant to pay for their stupid vacation. If she wasnt now trapped in a decaying mansion filled with creepy people and surrounded by ravenous sea monsters.

The mansion has plenty of stories, too: About fantastical machines,
Published February 14th 2017 by Dial Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about The Bone Snatcher, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Bone Snatcher

Start your review of The Bone Snatcher
Aida
Nov 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
W-O-N-D-E-R-F-U-l!

I will come back for review!
-----
Okay, I think it is time to write the review! Later I said it's wonderful but why?! Because first, it brings me back to my own childhood when I tell stories of any kind to everyone!
Also, I love this story for its weird atmosphere. When I read the first pages, I said to myself: "what kind of parents in the world could banish their own daughter from themselves and go to a beautiful Land without their daughter!
When I chose this book for reading
Henry
Jan 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book and think that Charlotte Salter is a new talent worth watching. I had the privilege of receiving an ARC this fall and really got into it over the holidays. You might wonder why I found the story of someone stranded in a strange house surrounded by sea monsters so engaging in the midst of Yuletide cheer, but there you have it. Who needs reindeer when you can have demikracken?

The story takes place in a world gripped by a chilling phenomenon called "Sea Fever" where
Collin
Jun 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wishlist, audiobook
I give this a 4-star rating partially for the fact that I listened to it as an audiobook - it needs a little extra edge for all the times that I zoned out because I stupidly tried to listen to it while reading a recipe or deciphering a cross-stitch pattern - and partially because it was just really fun.

Sophie Seacove is one of the most interesting, consistent, outrageously flawed but still heroic and sympathetic heroines in... uh, YA? I hope it's YA? (More on that later~) Yeah, I'm going with
Kirsten
Sometimes you just need a book with monsters, y'know? I only took this one home from the library because the cover art was so arresting - I mean, look at Sophie just standing there all fierce with her Storm-esque hair and her ripped dress and that PIERCING stare. I mean, dat grrl is PEESED, I'll tell you that much. So while I wasn't overly excited by what the book was about (according to the jacket cover, anyway) I was still intrigued enough to take it home and give 'er a go.

Well, it wasn't what
Monica
Mar 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great book captivating and dream like. The book definitely has characters you love to hate and hate to love. Quick read or listen nice change of pace from the normal genre I choose to read.
Tim Gordon
Mar 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
I listened to this one on my daily commute, and it turned out to be fantastic. While Young Adult books have been increasingly turning into romance novels in exotic locales or with exotic fantasy creatures, Middle Grade books have been taking up the inventive torch.

The book does a great job introducing us to a world that is both familiar and foreign. Yes, we're in England with modern marvels like cars and electricity, but it's been cut off from the world, not having developed the way that it did
Thy Nguyen
May 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Ms. Salter is a great writer; she has created a pretty nice cosmology for the heroine, Sophie Seacove.

The detailed description of Catacomb Hill is pretty awesome. The illustration of the mansion on the cover does not do it justice...it is way bigger and inside, way creepier. The protagonist is pretty tough. There are a lot of trials that she has to endure. There are some good lessons in this book: perseverance, self-reflection, empathy, and team work, to name a few.

I don't want to give too many
Sian Thomas
Mar 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
PLOT

Sophie Seacove tells stories. Stories about her life, and what it would be like had the world not been taken over by a madness inflicted by the sea. However, we launch into her story as she is forcibly taken to live in a decaying mansion on a desolate island with a family that can only be described as ghastly surrounded by the sea monsters that everyone most fears.

The mansion is packed with secrets and stories itself though, as awful as the place is. And Sophie is determined to find these
⋆ Squiggles  ☾
Jul 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favs
Madeline (The Bookish Mutant)
I first discovered this book in the newly-added section of the Kindle library, and I read the description, which described it as perfect for fans of Neil Gaiman, Lemony Snicket, and Tim Burton.
At that point, I was basically just like Well hel-LO, there, good lookin, where have you been all my life? I did get that generally creepy and weird vibe throughout this book, but the book itself fell a bit flat for me. Mostly the characters-they were either two-dimensional and bland, or just plain old
Hollowspine
Jun 05, 2017 rated it liked it
Well, that was different and fun!

I enjoyed the strong, curious and stubborn main character Sophie, who wants to be a storyteller. When she ends up on a crazy island, forced into a job lobbing bones to nasty beasties, which surround the island, she doesn't give up hope, but instead sets out to solve the island's mystery. When another member of the crazy family residing on the island offers her a deal, she takes it and begins the search for something called the Monster Box, an artifact that should
Llyr Heller-Humphreys
Jul 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Fun middle-grade novel.
B
Mar 13, 2017 rated it it was ok
Eh- I just couldn't get into the story. Too much going on for me.
Lots of wandering thru a decript old house that is waterlogged.
Darcy Roar
Nov 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: teen
Delightful and dark, especially for a middle grades novel. Sophie is a fantastic protagonist pressed up against real danger and hardship. The twists at the end are great & they did surprise me a bit. If you like sea monsters, mystery, inventions, horror, and/or badass girls this is a good one for you!
Cait Califa
Jan 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Its more middle grade than young adult but wow was this so very good! Sea monsters, wacky characters, weird world building, and an awesome mc. I def recommend it! ...more
Blabby Poole
Apr 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
[POSSIBLE SPOILERS]
I loved Sophie! The situations she was facing... not so much. I think we all need to channel our inner Sophie because this girl is a star and she spins wild tales. Justice was definitely served in this book, to say the least. Had a completely satisfying ending, in my opinion. Love this author and the book she wrote because it was definitely set apart from the rest. Makes you think about fears and the power they have over you.
Overall, good read.
Sara Rodrigues
Nov 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book was amazing. It has caused me to change my favorite author from Erin Hunter to Charlotte salter. My favorite part was when Sophie was being chased by the twins in the red rabbit run. I also really loved how Sophie didn't think that Cartwright was so bad, unlike everyone else.

Syrdarya
Sophie is sent to an island ravaged by sea creatures while her parents escape the devastation of their land. A natural storyteller, Sophie quickly discovers that the previous servants have all disappeared (likely to have been killed by monsters or by the horrible twins who run wild in the house). She is determined to escape the island and also head to the city, which is safe from the sea monsters, but first she must find a special box which may stop the monsters altogether.

I felt like this was a
Tatiana Dengo
This book turned out to be surprisingly disappointing because it had all the ingredients to be unique and memorable, but the execution was lacking, especially in terms of world building.

I was lured in by the gothy cover and blurb since I'm always looking for stories with a tame, child-friendly horror feel, a la Addams Family. Even though this big spooky mansion turned out to be placed in an exciting setting unlike any other I've ever read about, the author barely used any description to her
Shannon
Oct 24, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: irl-tbr-shelf
This is a book I would have loved as a child, but even as an adult it was an engaging story with a murky atmosphere. The main character is one who never stops fighting, and the mystery continually gets thicker and thicker. The twists were impossible to guess, and added up with the story, but sometimes it felt like there were far too many of them. Again, for children I think this story would be a hit, but there are some things which didn't logically add up for me which took me out of the story, ...more
Terry Costantini
Feb 28, 2020 rated it liked it
I have to admit that I didn't love this book. I didn't hate it, but didn't love it.
I think the writing was good. I believe Salter is talented. My issue was with the story's pacing.
It starts promising, but gets slow and odd in the middle third, and seems to spin its wheels for quite a while before moving insanely quickly towards and ending.
What I realized at the end of everything, was that I really didn't care about any of the characters by the end of the story. They just seemed thin, and didn't
Carol-Ann
Feb 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: in-my-library
I don't know why but this book gave me Alice in wonderland vibe. Even with the physical descriptif of Gail and ralf I kept seeing Tweedledum and Tweedledee which are almost the opposite. It's been a while since i've read a middle grade book so it's hard to review this book. But it was enjoyable since i love pretty much all stories about water. There were some minor twist but most of the story was predictable (probably cause i'm not in the middle grade age range ;) )
Asna
Nov 10, 2017 rated it did not like it
too dragging. too much... unnecessary words? I felt like doing an errand while reading it. It's a horror children book alright, with two(?) really vile villains (for a children book). but the protagonist not actually a good girl either and I actually like this kind of protagonist, but it just.. the writing throw me off.
itf
Jan 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book was a seafaring fantasy that was limited to one house. Sofie is passionate and a interesting character to relate too. The rest of the characters were great (the twins were absolutely bonkers). I did find that the novel was a little slow in the middle but I would love to see a continuation.
The audio book was amazing! The narrator really gives the story some life.
Pikl
Feb 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is one of my favorite books. The only reason for four stars is the fact that the last portion of the book, around the resolution, felt geared toward a much younger audience than the rest of the story was. It had a very "here's the moral of the story" feel to it that I felt took away from the rest of the narration.
Selby Gunter
Dec 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved it! So creative. Although there is a good bit of violence so beware giving it to readers who are too young. But the writing is awesome and the characters are great.
patty brown
Sep 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing

A really cute read.
I was thoroughly entertained. A storytellers story.
Fun and entertaining. In the land of folktales, this is a contender.
Laura Kevin
Feb 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
it is dark for a middle-school book, but for me reading it as an adult i found it entertaining.
Kristin Thorsness
Jul 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book was fantastic! Full of twists, heart, and complex characters. I highly recommend it to fans of Gaiman and Auxler.
Cody Contway
I listened to the audiobook. The narration was very well done and I really enjoyed this book. The setting is surreal and fantastical which makes for a very interesting story that benefits greatly from this otherworldlyness. While the giant sea monster backdrop and mysterious setting feel like horror, the playfulness and absence of tonal terror make the story feel playful and more evocative of fantastical mystery than actually scary. That's not to say it isn't scary in parts, because it is, ...more

• Daughters Unto Devils
  • Tales from Outer Suburbia
  • Frozen 2: Forest of Shadows
  • Mary Poppins in the Park (Mary Poppins, #4)
  • Mary Poppins Opens the Door (Mary Poppins, #3)
  • Forged by Fire (Hazelwood High, #2)
  • Trapped Between the Lash and the Gun
  • Ice Cream Man, Vol. 1: Rainbow Sprinkles
  • Stitching Snow
  • The Shamer's Daughter (The Shamer Chronicles, #1)
  • Louis parmi les spectres
  • Change Your Aura, Change Your Life
  • Tears of a Tiger (Hazelwood High, #1)
  • Salt & Storm (Salt & Storm, #1)
  • Hearts & Other Body Parts