Start by marking “A Friend of Silence (Roger and Bess Mystery #1)” as Want to Read:
A Friend of Silence (Roger and Bess Mystery #1)

A Friend of Silence

(Roger and Bess Mystery #1)

What safer haven could there be than a Quaker boarding school in a tiny New England coastal village? What secrets lie beneath its serene and quiet beauty? Out of the blue, the campus is laid open, the peace of Old Harbor Friends shattered by the murder of lascivious, comptroller, Milt Wickie. Wickie is discovered in his office, a scrimshaw knife protruding from his chest, ...more
Paperback
Published May 2015 (first published August 19th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about A Friend of Silence, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Friend of Silence

Jeannie and Louis Rigod
Over the years at Old Harbor Friends school, there have been a few deaths, attacks, and now, a staff member has been found stabbed with an antique from the Arts/Varsity Field coach, Mrs. Dore's late husband.

Mrs. Dore is a widow of ten years and seems to be stuck in a pattern. The book introduces us to many students and fellow staff members.

It was well written, lots of description of the inter-personal relationships of the Detective and Mrs. Dore. The character of the latest victim i
Kevin
Sep 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Won this book in July and started reading it last week. Wish I had read it sooner. This book is just awesome. Loved it from cover to cover. The wrting is great and the flow andstyle of the author makes this a book easy to read. Top it off with great story and characters - characters you wish you knew in real life - and you have yourself a great book. Already looking in our local library for her other novels as well. My wife just started it yesterday and also loves it so far.
Mary Baker
This book was good enough to make me want to finish it. I did think the characters were too contrived. The plot needed more development. I kept thinking the setting was abroad.
Susan Barton
This story takes place at Old Harbor Friends Quaker boarding school, where comptroller and womanizer Milt Wickie is found murdered with an antique scrimshaw knife. Art teacher and widow, Bess Dore is shocked to see the knife is part of her deceased husband’s collection. How did someone break into her home, steal the knife and stab Wickie? Bess is soon questioned by detective and old flame Roger Demaris, but immediately found innocent of any wrongdoing. Will the killer strike again before being d ...more
Gina
Aug 29, 2017 rated it it was ok
It took me a long while to get through this book. I did not know it was the first in the series, so the incredible amount of focus on the main characters makes sense now. It still detracts from the mystery aspect that this book is supposed to have had. I would have liked to see more focus on the main plot instead of building up the character's romantic status. How many times does it need to be rubbed in that Bess is a grieving widow and that Roger still has a thing for her?

I'm very d
Natalie Bachiri
Jul 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love the characters in this book and I am excited to see where it takes us. Bess is a very well put together character that leads us deep into her life and it's nice to see a romance blooming while all the mystery and murder suspects are around. Great book and I am looking forward to the next in the series.
Ruth Caves
Jul 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Illustrations

The fact that people wear a public facade isn't something you would spend much time thinking about, but it necessary to remember that fact while doing murder investigations. The Quaker touch made this fact much more poignant.
Interesting story with multiple confessions and infidelities.
Crystal Toller
Feb 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is the story of a murder at a Quaker New England Boarding School. Roger Demaris, the local policeman, begins to investigate. The Board of the school hires Harry Winthrop, Jr. to investigate as well. Mrs. Beth Dore who was around at the time of the murder, teams up with Roger and Harry to find the killer. How they locate the murderer makes for a riveting read. Highly recommend this book.
Hannah
May 31, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice, cozy mystery

Enjoyable, little mystery. I was fairly certain I had pegged the murderer about halfway through but wasn't sure 'til the end. If you don't like course language, there's one character who has a potty mouth.
John Torrance
I really enjoyed the story. The characters were believable, and easy to imagine. It was suspenseful enough to keep me readings. The big downside was the overly descriptive sentences that were not necessary. I started skipping over these sentences because they were over the top. A real distraction from a good story. If it were not for the suspense, I would have given up around the second chapter.
Athena
Jan 30, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Charming

The story is good, the plots really interesting, and each character has something unique about them that is quite fascinating. I really like this, and I wasn’t expecting too
Peggy
Feb 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this story, I will look for the next one, I enjoy the sitting is within a school and I enjoyed the characters. It kept me guessing on who did the murder. I was surprised about a few things in the story.
Rebecca
Feb 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
A who done it murder mystery without clean up needed, less descriptive of the murderious gore, but enough shared to entice the imagination. bit flakey romance between a few characters, but sounds like book two may follow up. Enjoyed the premise of a peeping Tom as a Robin Hood sort of person.
Liz Etnyre
Nice, not quite cozy, mystery. Sweet. Lots of characters to keep track of, and a few names are quite similar. Main characters are nice, but I don't really love them. YMMV. Some trouble with the 'insta-love' as well. Still, will consider reading further in series. 3.5 stars.
Catherine Childs
Jun 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Even though it was set in New England, it has the feel of a British mystery.

A bit dry but enjoyable. The characters were defined well and the insight into a Quaker school environment was interesting.
Kareen Ferrick
Aug 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended

Good mystery. Plot invites you to try and solve the mystery. I recommend it to readers that enjoy books with a twist
Nancy Mikos
Aug 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was sad to find out who the killer was and what happened to him. Overall, a good reading experience.
Maureen
I liked this book better as I read more of it. It’s a slow start but understand that it’s the first in a series. I would be interested to see the next in the series to see how it develops.
Alita
Apr 23, 2019 rated it liked it
Enjoyable, non-threatening, light mystery. Engaging enough that I will look for the next one.
Carole888
Cosy Mystery

A quick read, also predictable but I enjoyed it. I liked the setting too. This is a a relaxing holiday read ... one I felt happy to keep turning the page and enjoy.
Val Moss
Mar 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it

This book had me guessing till the end. I love that. I usually have things figured out pretty quick. Very good and very sweet.
Evelyn
May 15, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Profanity started at 6%

Profanity started with a bang at 6%. I don’t do profanity and I did not finish this book. Deleted from my kindle.
Eunice Korczak
Oct 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Friend of Silence

A Friend of Silence is a very enjoyable cozy mystery. The characters are interesting people with complicated ties beneath the surface. Who is guilty of murder and who is guilty of adultery? At times, it seems the entire community is guilty of both.
Mary Schildman
Mar 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic

Blew my mind ! Fantastic and wonderful characters and locale. Will make a great series! I had no clue as to the murderer. I'm ashamed I missed the clues. Looking forward to more in this series and this author.
Susan Gazaway
Nov 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book

Good book,great characters. I enjoyed this book very much. I plan on reading more in the series I am curious to where these characters go
Michele bookloverforever
Oct 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebooks, cozy-mystery
murder at a small Quaker school in Maine...and 2 grieving people find a second chance while investigating a sordid murder.
Laurie
Mar 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
An interesting small town New England mystery with murder and adultery! Characters were well developed, storyline flowed well
Jackie
Jun 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Great book with lots of suspense. Kept me reading. Adorable. Mysteriously light reading. Will get started on the next
Linda Friedrich
Mar 31, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Charisse Williams
It was not my normal genre. It had a lot of twists and turns but turned out to be a very good read.

• Green River Blend
  • On the Nickel (Cleopatra Jones, #2)
  • Death Takes A Trip (Julia Blake Murder Mystery, #5)
  • Murder at the Cooking School (Cedar Bay Cozy Mystery #7)
  • A Cereal Killer (Sibyl Potts #1)
  • Murder in Provence (Maggie Newberry Mysteries, #3)
  • Death by Betrayal (Caribbean Murder, #10)
  • Lost Cause (Daisy Dunlop Mystery, #1)
  • The First Year (Aylesford Place #1)
  • Murder is a Family Business (The Alvarez Family Murder Mystery Series, #1)
  • Signs, Wonders and a Baptist Preacher: How Jesus Flipped My World Upside Down
  • Sharpe Shooter (Maycroft Mystery #1)
  • Muse
  • Deep South Dead (Hunter Jones Mystery)
  • A Baby Before Dawn (Lights Out, #2)
  • Tough As Nails: One Woman's Journey through West Point
  • A Man for Temperance (Wagon Wheel Series #2)
  • The Beach House
Award winning author, M. Lee Prescott loves the variety of hats she dons when writing. As an educator, she is the author of three works of nonfiction, Reader to Reader: Building Independence Through Peer Partnerships, Writer to Writer: Focus on Fluency and Craft in Multilingual Classrooms and Fluency In Focus: Comprehension Strategies for Young Readers as well as a number of scholarly articles in ...more

Roger and Bess Mystery (3 books)
  • In the Name of Silence (Roger and Bess Mystery #2)
  • The Silence of Memory (Roger and Bess Mystery #3)