Start by marking “Deep: A Captive Tale” as Want to Read:
Deep: A Captive Tale

Deep: A Captive Tale (Deep)

3.78  ·  Rating details ·  124 Ratings  ·  39 Reviews
DEEP: A Captive Tale

A dark erotic novella from Sam J.D. Hunt

A dark pirate seeking redemption,

A lady seeking a way out,

Two lovers from different worlds fall in DEEP.

Through space and time, a Master pirate, Henry Morgan, captures Charlotte Smith and teaches her release through submission; his darkly erotic sensuality sets her free in ways she never could have dreamed.

DEEP is
Published May 10th 2015

To ask other readers questions about Deep, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Deep

Karen
Aug 30, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: four-star-reads
This book was an enjoyable, humorous and short read.

Henry Morgan is a pirate during the 16th century who kidnaps Charlotte Smith from a Caribbean Island. He intends to use her and dump her in the sea when he is finished with her. Hence he names her "Shark Bait".
Charlotte falls in love with Henry and similarly Henry falls for Charlotte. Their escapades are dark, thrilling and highly erotic. There are a few times in the book when Charlotte wakes up with her kindle and thinks she is dreaming. Their
Ashley Westphall-carr
Sam J D Hunt does it again!!! Not her normal style of writing... It's grittier and edgier. Short and sweet and to the point. I absolutely loved it!!! The novella made me want to laugh, cry and root for Charlotte all at once. The story wasn't bound by time or space. Henry and Charlotte are an unlikely pair, him being a Master Pirate and her being "pampered" wife. But once Henry captures her and takes her hostage she's in for an erotic journey that crosses the ages.
Daria
May 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, arcs

I was honored to get this as a gift from the author and to be able to give my opinion of it. One word .. Wonderful. Its been a while since I’ve read any pirate themed stories. Sam hit the mark dead on with this and added a bit of her own magic. Its a decent length for a short and no cliff hangers.
It had me tapping my chin and rereading a bit, thinking to myself oh my damn..like that. Grins. The things you would submit to because you want to varies greatly at the things done to you against your
1-Click Addict Support Group
Whoa, Deep was one hot, dirty, quick read! I’m still fanning myself from some of the ‘action’ in this sometimes dark, historical novella.

The story opens up with the capture of Charlotte Smith by the Master pirate, Henry Morgan. Charlotte has dreamed of a life beyond the one she’s lived with her troubled, controlling husband. Henry offers her something she never thought she’d experience—complete submission.

Henry Morgan is a dirty pirate—oh yeah, baby, is he dirty. A sexy, dirty pirate. Sorry, wen
Missy Harton
May 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The title doesn't lie. This truly is a captivating story!! I'm a big fan of Sam J D Hunt and The Thomas Hunt Series. Different from her series, this dark erotic story contains a "deep"er element. If you're one who likes a little angst, this is a MUST read!! It'll draw you in and keep you until the very end. I wonder if maybe, down the road we might get a glimpse of how things played out for Henry and Charlotte!! (HINT HINT...I'll always read more!)
When Henry lost the love of his life, he decided
Tina
May 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I didn't know what to expect reading this book, but wow Author Sam J.D. Hunt did a fantastic job of writing this novella. Anything written by this author doesn't surprise me cause she is truly a fantastic writer.

This is a dark erotic novella, but I didn't know what I find while reading this book. This is the story of Captain Henry Morgan and Charlotte Smith aka Shark Bart. I loved that name for her. She was escaping the hell in her life called George her husband. At first, I didn't know if I wou
RBCRRBLOGGER
May 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Relentless Book Chics Ramblings and Reviews approved and recommended

Well, what can I say, I loved this story. It was short and dirty, the perfect quick read.

I’ve never read anything historic so it was a first for me. I couldn’t help imagining Johnny Depp in Pirates of the Caribbean as I was reading about Henry Morgan and I’d definitely be his “Shark Bait” any day of the week!

Charlotte Smith is in a troubled marriage and her dreams are her escape. One day, she is taken from the beach, captured by
Jenny Shepherd
May 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was pulled into this book from the first page. I loved Charlotte, she had so much fight in her to live and be free. A captivating story that will take you through time on a journey to find love and happiness.
Ella  Reese
Hot damn! A jolly old adventure at sea with a sexy, sadistic pirate and a lot of rough kink.

pirate

Great stand-alone erotic fantasy freebie.

Four stars.
Jessica
Shelves: arc
5 Stars!

I received a copy of this book from the author in exchange of an honest review.

This book is different then what we are used to from Sam J.D. Hunt, but it is just as amazing. Sam has a great talent of writing. She knows how to grab your attention from page one and keep it till the last word on the last page. Does she leaving you wanting more? Oh yes for sure!

This is a Dark Erotic Novella. Can read it in a short period of time, but it is a great read. This novella is about Captain Henry Mo
Aղցela W.
Aug 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
When I first started reading this book I didn't think that I was going to like it, but the book turned out better than I thought it would be and pulled me right into it. Charlotte dreams of a life in the Caribbean during the Golden Age of Piracy, but when Captain Henry Morgan captures her on the beach one morning, her dreams and the reality of life with her troubled husband. Henry is a hot sexy pirate who likes hot dirty sex. This was my first time reading this author and he writes some really h ...more
Jennifer Lessard
May 14, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
At first when I was reading this I was very confused when things were kind of jumping back and forth and then it dawned on me that she was dreaming. That was the only part of the book I didn't really care for, but once I got past that part I really enjoyed this story. The time that Charlotte spent with Henry was nice. I enjoyed the time travel and her being out to sea with the big bad pirate that was known to rape women and pillage and plunder other merchant ships. But Charlotte instantly seen s ...more
Jennifer Erwin
**3.5 stars**

I got a free copy of this from the author. This was my first foray into this author and overall I did like this. I like how the characters were interacting with each other through dreams, crossing the time line.

That being said, the description of the main Hero just didn't do it for me. It's hard for me to be attracted to a guy that drinks so much he pees himself and vomits in his sleep. Overlooking the H, I liked just about everything else.

The story line flowed, and the author did
Expresso-Girls Just Wanna Have Books  ; A Mafia Romance
Time travel is not my first choice. However this book appeared in a Facebook group and I value the other readers' opinion.

This book deserves a four based on the sex alone! This story is heavy in BDSM and is NOT for everyone.

I enjoy challenges and Charlotte definitely had her fair share in this book. There are triggers. Head the warnings....

I liked the story overall but feel free to consider other reviews before making a decision to purchase.
W.
Aug 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
Hot, sexy and dirty pirates

Hot, dirty sex between a pirate and the fair maiden he kidnapped. But, instead of kidnapping her, it turns out that he has freed her from her old world. This story was quick, dirty, dark, and hot. There are dark elements to this story, but in the end a HEA ending of sorts. Complete standalone with no cliffhangers.
Whitney Cannavina
Marcie Wegner
May 15, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a very quick read. The characters were well written and the story line is quite interesting. This novella contains graphic sexual scenes along with violence, so it is highly recommended to those who are at least 18. This is my first book from Sam J. D. Hunt but it wont be my last.
Samantha Hanson
Jun 10, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was HOT!!! I won this book at M. Never's release event...and i am so glad I did! I don't normally care for third person...but this book was filthy and amazing. It's a quick read... I keep wishing there was more!!
Rochelle M
Jun 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Short and sweet

Was a little concussed at the going ones of this story at first but could not put it down. Very much enjoyed every word
Leisa Prater
May 18, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
To me there is nothing thing any hotter to me than a pirate... Dark hair.... Blue eyes!!!!
Jodi Cain
Sep 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I usually don't read pirate stories but this one had me from page one. It was very hot. All I can say is if you have not read this book you need to one click today.
Mindy
Sep 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great short story.
This book goes in between dream sequences and real life. Charlotte is in a bad relationship and find her solace in her dreams with being a sub for a pirate.
Estrella M. Perez
Aug 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Pirates!!! Enough said.

It was dreamlike a bit confusing at the end I need it more explanation however sexy as hell and very very hot. Sam writes the hottest men in her books. Kudos. I loved it!
Jennifer Guffey
Deep: A Captive Tale
By: Sam J.D. Hunt
4/5 stars

*There are dark undertones to this story, and quite a bit of it is from a dream perspective.*

Charlotte Smith is in an abusive relationship with her husband, but a divorce for a woman in her station in the 1600s is pretty much unheard of, her only way out is by death…hers or his. But that may not be a problem since she gets kidnapped while walking on the beach by the English Pirate Captain, Henry Morgan. She is threatened repeatedly with rape and murd
Hazel M Bear
Sep 01, 2015 rated it liked it
Captured by pirates, but she enjoyed it more than I expected from the beginning.

So yes, this is a captured fantasy-type story. But Charlotte was pretty into it from the beginning. Which has its upsides, I’m not into pure non-con. But at the same time... what’s the point of her being captured against her will if she’s OK with Henry doing all this stuff to her while threatening to kill her once he’s done? At least him I could see change from his initial thoughts to liking Charlotte and treating he
Ellie Masters
Sep 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, bdsm
Deep is a steamy, delicious, dark erotic novella. This is my first book by J.D. Hunt and I didn’t know what I would find while reading it. But I found I loved the darkness, the heat was turned way up, and the story was a fun, exotic, and unexpected change of pace.

This is an erotic novel with plenty of steamy sex, wonderful BDSM elements and a devilish Pirate named Henry who is the king of kinky sex on the sea. Charlotte is his latest acquisition, a woman he uses like all the others, except he c
Kimber Hellmers
Jun 30, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Unexpected, interesting, extremely hot, dirty, with an HEA! I'm not even sure where I found this one-click little treasure. But I'm glad I did. The start was a bit abrupt and it took a few pages to get into the swing of things with the story, but it came around. A good dose of BDSM, a sexy-ass pirate, a very intriguing heroine and a short timeline meant this author had to get it all out there in a coherent way and fast. The time-travel thing caught me off guard, but made for a great twist to thi ...more
Indie Editor Nancy
Dec 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book was included in the newly released book Deeper Capture of a Virgin Bride, two people from different time periods meet and fall for each other.
"Charlotte was happy-she'd found in Henry the man she never knew she needed. He saw her for exactly what she was, not an illusion or an ideal of what he expected her to be. Being with Henry took away the decisions, the self-doubt, and filled her with a sense of well-being, of surrender to what was happening now."
An unusual story, but a clever ta
M. Maria
Nov 08, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book is 80%, if not 90% erotica. Lots of BDSM. Very little room left to build a story around. Sometimes we are in the present and sometimes we are in 1669. I was constantly confused and going back to read a few pages to see if I could figure it out. The ending was very confusing to me. The pirate element to the story was entertaining.
Lea Dimovski
Jul 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
High seas scoundrel

Definitely an immediate love to hate connect with male protaganist. The whole time shift was an interesting twist although the 'how' was not explained.
A novella that most would not admit to being to their taste publicly but in private I can see a slew of Sharkbait's being Henry Devotees.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Bound (Strand Brothers, #2)
  • The Power Of Persuasion (Triad, #2)
  • Bodyguards of Pleasure (Pleasure, Montana #8)
  • Training a Wife (The Virgin Witch and the Vampire King, #4)
  • Claimed (Charming Bastards MC, #1)
  • Tamed by the Fire (The Academy #4)
  • The Admiral and the Wildcat (Sargosian Chronicles, #4)
  • Bash: Volume III (Rolling Thunder Motorcycle Club, #5)
  • A Firm Hand (Bound to You, #2)
  • Initiated: Episode Two (The Demon Gate, #2)
  • Oycher
  • Rial (Waterkin, #1)
  • Nikolas (Stone Society #5)
  • Intimidator (Preyfinders, #2)
  • Mastered By The Mavericks--A WILD Boys Novel (The WILD Boys of Special Forces Book 8)
  • The First Order (Safeword, LLC #1)
  • The Werewolf Bodyguard (Moonbound, #2)
About Sam J.D. Hunt

Sam J.D. Hunt resides in Las Vegas with her husband, the inspiration for the young Thomas Hunt character, as well as her two children. Her debut trilogy, The Thomas Hunt Series, put a fun and unique spin on the popular BDSM genre. She followed up with the highly successful DEEP: A Captive Tale--a dark BDSM erotic captor/captive story about a pirate and his lady that spans time a
More about Sam J.D. Hunt...

Deep (2 books)