Start by marking “The Awakening (Emerge, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Awakening (Emerge, #1)

Read Book* *Different edition

The Awakening

(Emerge #1)

Allie Carmichael has always believed life is simple.
You're born. You live. You die.
She has no cause to believe those rules don't apply to her.
When an unexpected move to Kelleys Isla
Published April 1st 2015 by Midnight Hour Studio (first published March 31st 2015)

To ask other readers questions about The Awakening, please sign up.
kambria PG-13 because there is minimal cursing and some violence that some younger kids may not want to see because blood is always drawn.

Jasmine
Sep 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Those who like paranormal romance.
**I received an ebook copy of this book from the author in exchange for an honest review.**

There are pros and cons in this book and I'm going to start with my favorite parts about it first.
In the beginning , the female main character, Alexis Ann Carmichael, a.k.a. Allie/Lex, was seemingly an ordinary high school student who escaped moved around the world with her family but she turned out to be a completely different girl after her "Awakening" on her 16th birthday. That is, she was one of the s
Dianne
May 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Her touch made people draw back, as if she had the plague. For all of Allie’s life she stood on the sidelines, a stranger to everyone around her and now, at fifteen, it doesn’t hurt any less. When her family moves to Kelleys Island, Allie is prepared for the usual reactions, but what happens to Allie is anything but usual. Enter Aidan and miracle of miracles, not only did he not flinch at her touch, he welcomes it and Allie finally learns what friendship is and all she has missed.

Is it possible
Melissa Craven
Apr 14, 2015 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: author, young-adult
I'm not going to rate my own book because I'm biased and that wouldn't be fair to potential readers looking for genuine reviews. But I will take this opportunity to share my inspiration for writing Emerge: The Awakening. I am an avid reader of all things fantasy and I have a special love for the Young Adult genre in particular. BUT…there are so few books out there that truly represent a good example of a strong young woman to the impressionable readers of the YA genre.

As a reader, I grew frustr
Melissa (Mel’s Bookshelf)
Feb 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
3.5 Stars
I enjoyed this YA fantasy tale!

Young Allie moves with her family from place to place around the world for reasons unknown to her. Finally she settles in Kelleys island, only to discover that the reason her family have been on the run, and that nobody ever really feels comfortable with her, is because she isn’t exactly normal. She is developing powers that she doesn’t know how to handle. Together with a group of new friends, she must discover who she really is, and what she is capable of
Cody
Aug 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Review Copy from Author, for more visit Literary-ly Obsessed

This was such an impressive start to a unique new series. This story was well written but the characters are the true stars, they grew with the story and were portrayed realistically with their stroppy attitudes, tantrums and snark.

We have Allie the protagonist who has always felt alone and distanced from everyone, she’s moved from place to place and is always the new kid in school but the people there are all the same; they shy from he
Carrie (The Butterfly Reader)
This is self published? No way. I wouldn't believe it if the author hadn't sent me a copy. It in no way feels self published. Everything flows perfectly and the characters are authentic. I also love how this is such an original novel. It never gave me the vibe that some books do. Never once when reading did I stop and think, this kind of reminds me of (whichever book insert here). I also love how it's set in Ohio as I used to live there and miss it a lot.

Allie, our main character is awesome. Sh
Dani (Dani Reviews Things & Love in a time of Feminism)
DNF'ing at 14% because I couldn't take any more of the flat characters and flip flopping between two guys with no actual chemistry. Also, where was the plot? It felt like the author just skipped ahead from one thing to the next and didn't actually show any development of how a girl who has never had friends suddenly had a bunch. They were just THERE. Plus inexplicable insta-love and love triangle.

No. No more.
Kayla Howarth
Jul 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Please note the following review contains minor spoilers. I usually don’t like to give anything away, but this book has affected me, and I have a feeling I’m going to ramble. Sorry in advance.

Okay, so… wow, where to start. The beginning: intriguing. It made me want to read more, but it didn’t GRAB me and pull me in completely until about half way. Don’t get me wrong, it was entertaining, and definitely a solid 4 star book for the first 50%.

I love the idea of Immortals, and their awesome abiliti
Quirks
Aug 25, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2015-reads
This is my first time writng a one star review. EVER. I'm kinda shocked that I'm doing it but I had no choice.

I tried guys, I really did. I tried to overlook all the bad parts and focus on the rare good parts that weren't nearly good enough to help. But I couldn't do. I couldn't like the book and I couldn't finish it. There are so many things wrong with it that I don't even think I can list them all. So, I'm just gonna write the things I disliked most.

1. The Writing: It was so bad. Just so so ba
Shahad takleef
Oct 23, 2015 rated it liked it

*source : I received an ebook copy of this book for free from the author in exchange for an honest review
Thanks to author Melissa A. Craven

Ok first let me tell that what i liked the most about this book is the general idea , the whole "immortals" thing
I mean to read a book about immortals you would think
What would be the end ?!
It seems to logically settle somewhere beyond infinity
Or that you are reading a book with a story of a time span of thousands of years
this idea is kind of alluring
you re
Krissys
Jan 25, 2017 rated it liked it
The Awakening (Emerge #1) by Melissa A. Craven

Allie Carmichael has always believed life is simple.You're born. You live. You die.She has no cause to believe those rules don't apply to her.All her life, Allie has suffered in silence as those around her shrink from her touch, too intimidated to take the time to get to know her. It's left her feeling like a pariah for fifteen years.When an unexpected move to Kelleys Island brings Aidan McBrien crashing into her life, Allie is thrown by his rea
Abbie
Oct 23, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-to-review
(I received a copy from the author, In exchange for an honest review.)

Allie was an okay character, and I felt quite sorry for her at the beginning, but I didn't love her.

The storyline in this was alright, but I did think the pacing was a bit slow. A few parts dragged, and the book felt rather long because of it.

Overall, An okay read.
K.S. Marsden
Oct 24, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Allie is used to never settling down, her parents' work constantly uproots them, going to the far side of the world at a moment's notice. What Allie doesn't know, is that her parents are actually running, and she's the reason.

I really liked this book, for the most part. Craven has created an interesting take on an immortal race. I loved how their history wove into ours.

The immortals have a big emphasis on the importance of family, whether it's a blood relation, or the family you choose. There's
Lauren Moye
Apr 24, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was worth the read. It brought several words to mind: unusual, intriguing, funny, and promising.

Unusual, only because I personally have never read a book like this before. I liked it, but was very surprised. I enjoyed that I learned about Allie (the main character) and her new world just as she did.

Intriguing, because I often couldn't put it down, and read several hundred pages at a time. I thought that it would simply be another dystopian novel with a strong female lead. I was wrong.
Ann
Jul 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This was a great debut novel from Melissa A. Craven. Quite different from anything I've read in recent years and very refreshing. Glad I stumbled onto it. If you love YA and also enjoy historic fiction, this is an excellent book to sink your teeth into. I read the reviews first and it seems like one of those book that you either love or hate. My guess is if you like a quick YA read that doesn't delve to deep or makes you think too hard, this isn't the book for you. Craven does an excellent job w ...more
Kelly Clare
This is a riveting start to The Awakening series. I loved how relatable the main character was. She made mistakes! That never seems to happen in YA anymore. The storyline was well-developed, with depth to provide dimension and authenticity to the plot. The setting was a favorite point too. A fantasy world layered over the world we live in. In my opinion this always make for an exciting read. It draws the reader that one step closer to believing we could be in the novel as well!
I had one quibble
Chris Mills
Jun 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I have written a full review of Melissa A. Craven's book, Emerge: The Awakening, at http://hub.me/ajxUl.
Charlotte
Nov 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received this book in exchange for an honest review.

Melissa A. Craven has seriously just joined the top of my list of favourite Authors! Such an impressive start to a series and definitely has me wanting more!
I loved this book it flowed really easily, a fast page turner that kept me engrossed from start to finish, a highly recommended top read!

This book is based on Allie who spends most of her life alone and misunderstood, people shy away from her, but there is a reason people shy away from h
Tiffany Oharriz
Dec 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I am at a loss for words and in complete awe of this book. I was hooked from the first page an unwilling to put this book down. Its an innovative and unique story with loveable characters.

Allie is such a strong female lead and I loved that she didn't need a man to define her or her abilities, as a matter of fact romance was not even really a factor in this story which is really really refreshing. Sure, there are love interests but that does not make pr break the story. I really can not find enou
Rylee
Apr 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I can't believe this is self published!

I read a lot of indie books and I usually overlook the weaker parts and give the writer props for going it alone. I like the originality of indie books, but Emerge blew my mind! The author did an amazing job putting this together and she did it so well I completely forgot it was an indie book! I read the extended sample on scribd and I had to buy it I just couldn't put it down.

The thing I loved best about Emerge is that the world the author has built is so
Merissa (Archaeolibrarian)
This is the first book in a fantastic new series that I have loved every word of. This is a world of Immortals and mortals, where you can't die but you can be murdered, where the amount of power you have corresponds to how people react to you.

Allie has lived an unconventional life so far, globetrotting with her parents but always alone. She has made few friends as most people seem to be uncomfortable around her. She no longer questions this, instead accepts it as inevitable. Just as she thinks s
Melissa Burcham
Nov 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2015
Wait! No! That simply CAN NOT be the end! I need more. I must have more! This book was so awesome! I absolutely loved it! The characters were so real and just so cool! The story line was so believable. This whole book was just wow! This was a fantastic paranormal book that gripped me and drew me in from the very first page.

Allie has lived a dull life. She has always felt like an out cast. She has never made any friends because her parents are constantly moving her around the world. Most people
Patrick Hodges
In Emerge: The Awakening, we meet Allie, a diminutive teenage girl with fiery red hair and a snarky attitude. She has been on the run, moving from place to place, her entire life, and she's had nary a clue as to why.

But that changes when she meets Aidan, a handsome boy who explains to her that she is an Immortal, a being of incredible untapped power who is about to undergo a change that will transform her life completely.

A fantastic premise, to be sure, and I dove right into the story, which cau
Bailee Harris
Apr 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 14 and up
Recommended to Bailee by: A friend
Emerge! Exactly what I was looking for!
Get prepared to be taken on an unpredictable journey. I was drawn to this book by the amazing cover art and when I read the book blurb I thought "finally"...an author who is not following the pack on the typical dystopian, dark and depressing trend that seems to be everywhere lately. I am so excited I took a chance on this awesome indie author. Her characters have such wonderful depth and the setting makes me want to visit Cleveland. Seriously, who knew the
Sharon Mariampillai
I received a copy from the author, in exchange for an honest review.

Actual Rating: 3.5

This was a great debut novel. The book was very intriguing when I read the description for it, and I was not disappointed. The story was interesting and enjoyable to read. The plot did drag in some parts, but it was not so bad.

The characters were great too. Allie is a snarky girl. In the beginning, I felt bad for her because she always had to move around and Never had a place to call home. Aidan is handsome,
Everly Scott
Aug 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Got this on a whim. Never heard of the author but the cover art was so awesome I couldn't resist. Amazing, completely unexpected and original story. This author is golden! Lots of reviews say it's a slow start, but I didn't get that at all. The first chapter really took off and the pace was steady not slow. About the halfway point the pace just exploded like crazy from there and I thought it was a nice steady build up to that point. Loved the histories of the Immortals, great characters and awes ...more
Kerry Mills
Apr 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is fantastic!! Melissa A. Craven certainly created characters who are both interesting to follow and watch develop in a unique manner. It is fascinating to watch the young people in the story, especially Allie, learn from their elders and become aware of their own strengths and special abilities and support each other in a powerful way. This book is truly captivating and holds the readers attention from beginning to end. It is a must read for those who truly like a good fantasy. You wi ...more
Kelly Knapp
Oct 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Girls in need of a role model, parents who want to provide quality material for their teens
Recommended to Kelly by: I won this book from the Goodreads Firstreads Giveaway
Thank-you so much for writing this book. Allie is the epitome of what every parent secretly wishes their daughter was like. In addition, the chemistry between Allie and Aiden is palpable. From page one, Allie made me want to know more about her. Her constant moving is reminiscent of my children's military life. When we first meet Aiden, it is hard to tell whether he is a good bad guy, or a very bad good guy. Still, it is easy to see why Allie wants to know more...If I have any negatives about th ...more
Wendi Wilson
Aug 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book snagged me from the start. I love it that not everything is clear and I can't predict what's going to happen. The characters are well-developed and the storyline moves along at a good pace.
I love Allie and Aiden! I can't wait for book 2, so can find out if they are Complements- you'll just have to read the book to find out what I'm talking about!
If you like YA adventure/paranormal romance, I highly recommend!
Wendy
Apr 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, e-book
I enjoyed a lot of things about this book. I think it was a great introduction into Allie's world. Allie as a character was likeable. She was resilient, had good instincts, and stood up for herself when she needed to. I could definitely feel for her as she described the loneliness that she has felt all her life as people around her felt uneasy with her. I loved getting to know Aidan, his friends and his family. I think that it was interesting finding out their backstories. I do have to admit tha ...more

• Wolf Moon (Grazi Kelly #1)
  • The Red King (Wilde Justice #1)
  • Against the Darkness (Cimmerian Moon, #1)
  • The Dragon Orb (The Alaris Chronicles #1)
  • Daysider (Nightsiders #1)
  • His Forgotten Forever (Bewitch the Dark #3)
  • Whisper In The Dark
  • Ari (To Each His Ghost, #1)
  • All for a Rose (The Blood Realm #1)
  • Escape from Witchwood Hollow
  • Shattered Girls (Broken Dolls, #2)
  • Cataclysm (Supernova Saga, #2)
  • Second Sunrise (Lee Nez, #1)
  • Blackout (Buffy the Vampire Slayer)
  • A Murder of Crones
  • The Archived SNEAK PEEK (The Archived, #1)
  • Lumpini Park (Abby Kane FBI Thriller #4; Chasing Chinatown Trilogy #2)
  • Heroes Under Siege (Talent Chronicles, #3)
Melissa A. Craven (the "A" stands for Ann—in case you were wondering) was born near Atlanta, Georgia, but moved to Cleveland, Ohio at the age of seventeen. She still thinks of Cleveland as home, so it was only natural for Emerge to take place there.
Today, she is back in Atlanta—for some reason she can't seem to stay away from the ungodly heat that makes her long for things like "lake effect snow"

Emerge (6 books)
  • The Judgment (Emerge, #2)
  • The Captive (Emerge, #3)
  • The Heir (Emerge, #4)
  • Emerge: The Assignment: An Immortals of Indriell Novella
  • The Betrayal (Emerge #5)
“You do remember how dangerous I am with those?”
“Aye, that’s the point. Everyone will duck and cover if they see you wielding these.”
“Even my teammates?”
“Especially your teammates.”
9 likes
“I don’t know. Is that good-different, or I-should-come-with-a-warning-label-different?” 7 likes