Start by marking “The Vanished Knight (The War of Six Crowns, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Vanished Knight (The War of Six Crowns, #1)

Read Book

The Vanished Knight

(The War of Six Crowns #1)

The entity living inside Callan’s soul orphaned her at age eleven. By the time she’s sixteen, it’s ensured her being shunted from one foster family to another.

Her thirteenth foster assignment should be routine. Except... it's not. A psycho in medieval armor kidnaps her and she ends up in a magical world. There, she accidentally discovers a secret her parents had kept unti
ebook, 2nd edition
Published July 31st 2015 by Five Muses Press (first published October 2nd 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Vanished Knight, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Vanished Knight

Nick Wilford
Jul 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
* I received an e-copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. *

The Vanished Knight is an epic fantasy tale that invites the reader to slip into another world, one of castles and power struggles. Callan is an admirable heroine, who has been shunted between foster homes her whole life thanks to a mysterious darkness that lies within her. So I was rooting for her to find some answers in this world she knows nothing about, but which might hold the key to her past. She's strong and capable, b
T.F.
May 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015, fantasy, ya
The Vanished Knight is the first book I’ve read from M Gerrick and I know it won’t be the last. In fact, I’ve got book two in this series already waiting for me on my kindle☺ Gerrick has a beautiful voice that hooked me right me and I loved the depth she created with her characters.

We meet Callan, a girl who’d seen so many foster homes that she’d lost all hope to finding a permanent family, and it doesn’t help that she has a mysterious entity living inside her that seems set on causing havoc and
chris smith
Jul 19, 2018 rated it liked it
I came to this book, cold. I had no idea what it was about. I've followed the author on Twitter for a few years and thought, "What the hey! Let's give it a try!"
Things I liked: I liked the girl, her roommate, the two boys going after her. I liked the dialogue. It seemed to have good pacing and kept me reading. I liked not knowing what was going on and having to learn on the fly.
Things I didn't like: I wasn't a fan of how the story opened, the girl being adopted into a rich family. It felt overdo
PandaEruption10
The Vanished Knight by M. Gerrick is a fantastical read. She utilizes a heroin with a dash of danger and a boat load of sassiness; however, she is as self-conscious as any other teenager out there. After her parents are mysteriously murdered, she is thrusted into the foster care system. Whether it is lucky or not, she is brought into a rich family and into a private school. Thus, the adventure begins when she meets the two popular boys in the midst of a battle! This story is loaded with a perfec ...more
Sharon Hughson
May 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
I received this book FREE in exchange for an honest review.
I intend to review this in more depth and detail on my blog on July 31 when the second book in the series is released. In case you're wondering, I've pre-ordered the eBook.
This story begins with a vision and a short introduction to a foster child on the edge of relocation. The first several chapters were quite confusing. How do these dreams relate to anything? Who are all these rich, private-school kids? Who names a kid Gawain? The "no
Christine Rains
Oct 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Callan Blair's dark secret keeps her bouncing around from one foster home to another. When her newest foster parents send her to a rich boarding school, Callan finds things she didn't think possible: a friend, a link to her past, and a doorway to another world. She's dragged into this strange and beautiful medieval world. Though she makes friends and might find some answers about her parents, she knows she can never stay. The darkness in her would never make it safe. But what's more frightening: ...more
Cait
Apr 17, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Free review copy from author.

Took me a little while to get into the story, sound the way the foster care system was written a little unrealistic. Once the fantasy elements started, I got drawn in.

Liked the world building, especially the inclusion of the languages - would like an appendix with info about the languages and perhaps a map.

Want to know more about Callan and the 'entity'. Hope it's explained in the next book.

James really annoyed me. Didn't really miss him. Would like to see more of Ka
Laurel
Oct 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A YA fantasy novel by M Gericke, A Vanished Knight brings a fantasy world to life (maybe it is real after all). The main characters are both believable and have so much depth. Callan's inner struggle with who she is, is applicable to so many young adults who may catch a glimpse of themselves through her. Although this is a debut novel for M. Gericke , I certainly hope it won't be the last. This YA fantasy will weave its own spell over you if you let it. I can't wait for the next one.
Susan Swiderski
I'm far from being a YA, and I don't usually read fantasies, but I thoroughly enjoyed this one. It's been a long time since I've read a book that allowed me to immerse myself in a magical world and let my imagination fly freely, and you know what? It was fun! Pure escapism, that's what this book provides, as well as a terrific story. I've already started reading book two. (And I sure hope the author hurries up with the next one!)
Juneta Key
Jun 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great fantasy epic that kept me engaged.

I thoroughly enjoyed the fantasy tale from the modern world to the fantasy world. The characters were well written, deep and interesting the way real people are. The fantasy world is rich and fascinating and you can really get into the characters with the author.
Jemima Pett
Sep 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: realms-faire, fantasy, ya
At first I wondered why I was reading it, since it seemed to be a bitchy teen angst school saga - but the alternate worlds that dip in and out take over and it races on from there. Excellent writing, great characterisation, very atmospheric, but... a cliff-hanger ending. Oh no!!
Full review later
Wendy Murphy
Nov 22, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Callan does't feel like she fits in and doesn't belong. It becomes apparent to see why as the book progresses. Great characters that draw you in and are very likeable, even Dorrion. Can't wait for the next in the series.
Willard C. Boquet
Dec 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. I could not put it down. It is really good and I cannot wait to read the next one. Thanks for sharing on wattpad.
Iara
Dec 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Wow, it was great, and I just devoured it, I read it in like, four hours, it's awesome
Ray Simmons
Dec 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The Vanished Knight is the first book in the War of Six Crowns series by M Gerrick. It is a tale of medieval magic and war. The protagonist is a young orphan girl, Callan who is cursed with dreams and visions by an entity inside her that she cannot control or understand. The entity makes her life unbearable until she becomes the ward of the wealthy Braden family and is sent to an expensive private school with her foster brothers James and Ward. Here the mysteries are slowly revealed and the girl ...more
Emma
I forgot exactly when I finished this, so I set a rough estimate.

What I don't have to estimate, however, it my love for this book. A fast-paced, edge-of-your-seat fantasy, The Vanished Knight pulled me right out of my reading slump with it's mystery and action. I also adored the strong characters, especially the main character, Callan. While her story may seem typical - an orphan on her thirteenth foster assignment, a bit different from everyone else - Callan is certainly not a typical heroine
Anna Tan
Jul 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: e-books, review-copy
First things first: I received this a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Callan Blair is fairly sure that this next foster assignment will be like all the rest - she'd be in and out pretty quickly. Except this time, she's sent to school at Graystone Academy with her two new brothers and somehow plunges into a real magical world that had only ever existed in her dreams. Worse, whilst she's still coming to terms with the fact that two of her new schoolmates are soldiers and c
Aimee Jodoin
Oct 05, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
With her sad, resigned cynicism and her muted self-consciousness, Callan Blair makes for an immediately likable protagonist who is easy to root for in this interesting, mysterious portal-fantasy novel, The Vanished Knight by M. Gerrick (pen name of Misha Gericke).

Gericke (or Gerrick, if you prefer) does an excellent job with characterization. Some characters start off at the beginning of the book acting a bit like archetypes—such as James, Callen's foster brother who is both attractive and arrog
Crystal Collier
Jan 16, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
One Word: Gawain!!!

It took me a little bit to get into this book, but I was instantly draw to and concerned about Callan. I wanted to settle down in her head for ride. She's a delight to follow. (And her inner dialog...AWESOME.)

The dual world aspect was super cool. When we reached the other side, the story really found its pace for me. I was screaming for Callan to unleash her inner evil—just a little bit—in what felt like a very chauvinistic society, and teach those demanding boys a lesson. Bu
J. Dorner
Jul 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Callan is a wonderful rare character. She's a foster child in England. But she might be from a fantasy world. The book sits on the edge between Portal and Urban Fantasy. The relatable story of this "Anne-like-luck" girl getting a new family that ships her to a premier private school soon mixes with a portal fantasy leading to another world. There's a heavy cast to keep track of, but it gets easier as it goes on.

The book ends without ending. You'll need to get the second one.

A few minor spots co
C.M. Keller
Oct 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Callan is a great heroine. She’s complex, tough, funny, tender, and has secrets even she doesn’t understand. And when she got to Tardith, I couldn’t put the book down. I loved her interactions with Gawain, Darrion, James, etc. The world building was impressive, and I can’t wait to read more about the kingdoms of Tardith, the entity, and Callan’s destiny.
Anne Graham
Apr 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was a highly enjoyable fantasy suitable for all ages and well written. It is original with delightful magical elements, parallel worlds and elves. And more than its fair share of hot guys.
Sarah Alexander
Tyrean
Aug 08, 2015
Ocean
Apr 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book!!! The characters were really well developed and I enjoyed getting to know them. Also, the storyline was extremely interesting making it a great read that I think anyone would enjoy!!
Nancy Cassidy
Oct 04, 2013
Anuntxi Monsalve
Dec 01, 2015
GOOD REVIEWS: Review Request: YA Epic/Portal Fantasy 1 9 Jul 05, 2015 12:08PM
M. Gerrick has basically created stories since before she could write. Many of those stories grew up with her and can be seen in her current projects.

She lives close to Cape Town, with a view over some of the most beautiful mountains in the world.

The War of Six Crowns (2 books)
  • The Heir's Choice (The War of Six Crowns, #2)