Start by marking “Extreme Honor (True Heroes, #1)” as Want to Read:
Extreme Honor (True Heroes, #1)

Extreme Honor

(True Heroes #1)

Hot military heroes, the women who love them, and the dogs that always have their backs. EXTREME HONOR is the first book in a high adrenaline contemporary suspense series from Piper J. Drake.

HONOR, LOYALTY, LOVE

David Cruz is good at two things: war and training dogs. The ex-soldier's toughest case is Atlas, a Belgian Malinois whose handler died in combat. Nobody at Hope's
Mass Market Paperback, 303 pages
Published January 26th 2016 by Forever

To ask other readers questions about Extreme Honor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Extreme Honor

Start your review of Extreme Honor (True Heroes, #1)
WhiskeyintheJar

Even though David is out of the service now, he is still military to his core and his work with military and police dogs in-training and rehabilitating showcase this. When one of his friends is killed overseas he makes sure he gets his dog, Atlas, and begins work to rehabilitate the traumatized dog. When a beautiful woman shows up claiming to have been hired to
Erth
Aug 31, 2020 rated it really liked it
I love dogs and romance hero’s so I was super excited to give this series and this author a try.

Overall, I enjoyed the book and found it engaging. The characters are developed well enough to root for and fall in love with. Of course, the dogs steal many of the scenes they are in.

I think my main pain point is that the book is too detailed in terms of military and dog training. The author either did a lot of research or has personal experience. Either is good but some of that detail would have bee
Anna's Herding Cats

Reviewed for herding cats & burning soup.

Light and easy romantic suspense with fantastic main characters and a fierce and troubled pooch. I had a good time with Extreme Honor. It could be a little predictable where the suspense was concerned but was easy, entertaining and hit the spot as dog trainers Lyn and David gave their all to helping a military pup overcome the loss of his handler and the traumas of was the still haunt him mentally and physically.

---Alright, So, I really liked the characte
Maria V. Snyder
Sep 17, 2020 rated it liked it
I needed to read something fun after the dark fantasy I'd just finished. This book was a bonus novel that was included with Lethal Redemption. I love dogs and think they're incredible and I did enjoy the dog training aspect of this story. The romance was okay, but I was more intrigued by Atlas, the dog than the two main characters. :)
Danielle
I have been wanting to read Extreme Honor for months now, and to be completely honest I think I might have set my expectations just a little too high for this one. Don't get me wrong, it wasn't a bad read, it just didn't quite hit the mark for me.

The story starts off with tension between David and Lyn right off the bat. She's been sent in to help him train Atlas, a dog that he's been working with at Hope’s Crossing Kennel where he works with a couple of his ex-military buddies, and he doesn't th
Robin Loves Reading
Atlas is a gorgeous Belgian Malinois whose handler died in combat. The outfit David Cruz works for, the Search and Protect Corporation, hired dog whisperer Evelyn Jones to try and rehabilitate Atlas. Suffering from grief, Atlas's suffering is concerning. Fortunately, one look at Lyn and Atlas all but melts. He becomes responsive and the timing is good, as he is an excellent protector, especially when he is at his best.

David has been through quite a lot, and maybe due to his former army training,
Brittany
Aug 22, 2017 rated it it was ok
Blah. Meh. Blah.

Boring.

An easy read. But there's nothing engaging about this book. Romance = forced and really fake. There's no good backstory for the two MC's and their issues.

Side characters are glanced over. Easily forgettable. No personalities or knowledge of their life besides ex-navy. Which is unfortunate because I believe the next books are about them.

I honestly kept reading for the dog, Atlas. I needed to make sure boo recovered from his grief. Poor heartbroken baby.
Shelleen Toland
Jul 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book from the start and it made me get to the whole series at once. German Shephard dogs and Belgian Malinois, yes please. Then hot guys on top of that and a romance with Intrigue had me hooked from the start. The place is called Hope's Crossing Kennel.
This story is about David Cruz and Atlas. Atlas is grieving for his former handler until Evelyn Jones walks in and then Atlas falls for her and maybe David does as well.

#piperjdrake #trueheroes #forever
Sunny
Jan 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
3.5 stars - ARC Review

I have enjoyed books about dogs in the romantic suspense genre in the past, and was hoping that this one had a good balance of suspense and charm. If done right, the animals will warm your heart. I was not disappointed. Extreme Honor is an entertaining read with a suspenseful storyline and lots of potential for more.

What I really enjoyed about this book is the interesting insights that the author has about various subjects that ring true to me. For example, I liked how the
Mirjana **DTR - Down to Read**

***2.5 Stars***

This was okay, I guess.

The romance was meh, with not much chemistry between the MCs. I skimmed the sex scenes because I just wasn't feeling it between Lyn and David.

The suspense element felt formulaic.

While the overall premise was interesting, nothing about the story had any depth. Most of the characters felt very one dimensional.

Overall, this was pretty forgettable.
 Reading In Pajamas
Jan 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Release Launch, Review & Giveaway: EXTREME HONOR (True Heroes #1) by Piper J. Drake http://wp.me/p3d0RZ-3JY
Publication Date: January 26, 2016
Genre: Romantic Suspense/ Contemporary Romance
Reviewed by: Reading in Pajamas/ Donna
Rated: 5 Stars

Donna 5 Stars

I am excited by this new series! David is one of several dog trainers that specialize in military and police dogs, especially those that have seen action. All of the men at the facility are x-military and along with being hyper vigilant, they are prepared

Christi Snow
Dec 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
My Review:
This was a fun read. Atlas is a famous dog in that he got some publicity after his handler was killed in action. The truth about all that is much more complex, and now Atlas is in mourning, so he's back at his original kennels for some retraining with David.

Lyn is sent in by DOD to offer some training help to David, and this is where things were a little sketchy. David trains military dogs and is a former soldier. Lyn trains civilian dogs...it makes no sense for her to be brought into
Joyfully Reviewed
Former Soldier David Cruz may have left the military but he didn’t go far. He now helps our canine heroes rehabilitate. At the Hope’s Crossing Kennel David trains dogs in need of special help. His current trainee is Atlas, a Belgian Malinois who lost his partner in combat. Since Atlas arrived David has been unable to create a bond with the dog.

Evelyn Jones a successful dog whisperer has been sent in to help with Atlas. She’s a firecracker with the attitude to match. David may be put off by her
Deborah
Nov 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
First off, let me say how much I loved the cover! The dog, Atlas, looking so adoringly at his trainer, just tugs at your heartstrings. Extreme Honor moves pretty well with an interesting story-line. I love dogs and I knew it could be a potential tissue-needed-type book, but it wasn't quite like that. At times I felt the story could have been made better than it actually came out.

I loved the premise of the book-military dog loses his handler by friendly fire. There are questions how that happene
Yesenia Gonzalez
I liked that lyn just cared for the dog and the dog was loyal to her. she had issues but I didn't really see her getting over it.The book was mostly surrounded by the dog and his handler dying not much romance but it was still sweet at the end.
Susan
Mar 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Very good book. It caught my interest from the beginning and I couldn't put it down until I was done. I really loved the setting of a place that trains and rehabilitates dogs. The romance between David and Lyn was great and the suspense was intriguing.

David and his friends started Hope's Crossing when each of them left the military. They love their work and it suits their post-war needs. David's biggest challenge right now is Atlas, a dog that he had trained. Atlas's handler had been a friend of
Angela (Angel's Guilty Pleasures)
So I first tried the True Heroes series with book three, Absolute Trust and I soon learned that I needed to read this series in order, so I set down Absolute Trust and request from my library the first book Extreme Honor.

Extreme Honor is a light and easy romantic suspense read. I had an ok time reading. It was a little bland, but enjoyable enough. I did have some trouble getting into the story; because it’s slow to get going, but once you hit 60% things start to pick up.

The suspense was predict
Bea
How could I resist a romantic suspense with that handsome dog and hot guy on the cover? Well, I couldn't. :D While the cover was eye-catching, the story was just okay. Much of the story was predictable and obvious though there were a few genuine twists and turns. The romance had some heat and there was a mix of both professional and personal tension. Where I had trouble with the story was the military aspects and the dog training. It appears that Drake did some research but at other times it's a ...more
Blodeuedd Finland
To be honest, I do not even like dogs. They are scary, they little ones always bark at me, trust me, I meet one in the street and it will bark at me and not the next person. The bigger ones do not but those are just scary on their own. Childhood being chased trauma.

Anyway, reading about dogs is another matter. I really liked Atlas, poor guy had PTSD after his handler had died in battle. And now David is trying to make Atlas feel like himself again. He was such good dog. I really liked the ending
Heather andrews
Nov 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Sometimes a man just needs to be honest, "he nodded and kissed her forehead. “We did. I really like us as a thing and I want us to last.” David was my type of man, sexy, strong, bossy and most of all an animal lover.
♥ WishfulMiss ♥
* Bonus book included in Lethal Redemption.

Dog trainer, Lyn gets hired to help with the rehabilitation of a service dog who’s lost his handler while on active duty.

Normally working solo, Lyn has to work to co-train with David Cruz the military vet who helps run hope’s Crossings Kennels.

But Atlas isn’t your average service dog. Not when his handler’s death was under questionable circumstances and strange things start happening almost from day one of Lyn’s arrival.

This was a sweet action packed s
Anne - Books of My Heart
This review was originally posted on Books of My Heart

3.5 hearts

Read It, Rate It and Record
A short review to update challenges
I go off on my little tangents sometimes, and the current tangent is K9 series. So I'm trying out the True Heroes series.   I appreciate the military or law enforcement characters, the mystery or crime aspects and of course, the dogs.  The genre tends to be mystery or romantic suspense.

In Extreme Honor, we have a ex-special forces guy running a t
JG
Extreme Honor is a military romantic suspense that has a unique premise. It tackles the topic of Military K9 dogs, in fact this book is the first of a series (that can be read as a standalone) about three former military soldiers running a kennel that trains dogs for security and even rehabilitates them.

In Extreme Honor we meet David Cruz, formerly of the air force special unit who trains military K9s. He is currently in possession of Atlas, a very special dog whose lost his handler during depl
Crystal ♥ RBtWBC
D.N.F.
I was SO looking forward to this book! The cover and synopsis more then captured my interested and I could not wait to dive in. Unfortunately, the pages in between could not live up to my expectations. I finally DNF'd the book at 70%. :( The premise of the story was fantastic but the delivery left much to be desired, and I believe that the author's writing style just didn't jive with my tastes (which happens). The plot itself moved very slowly and was written with a technical hand when I p
Ami
2.75 stars rounded up

Military romance -- or romance with muscular guys on the cover like this one -- is never really my thing. I just don't go gaga over military men in romance *shrugs*. But David and Evelyn made it to Round 2 of The Swoonies 2017 over at Heroes & Heartbreakers blog, so I was curious about how swoon-worthy this couple was. Plus with the blurb, I was expecting a LOT of interaction with the dog.

Well, maybe it was combination of my not having "chemistry" with Drake's writing, the t
Elaine
This is a great start to a new series. Three ex military men are working together training dogs for the military, police and others - though a lot of the time it may be more like training humans to work with the dogs.

One of their dogs had witnesses his handler being killed in action and the dog, Atlas, is suffering what I’d imagine is the doggy equivalent of PTSD. It is only after meeting Evelyn (Lyn) Jones that Atlas stops just going through the motions of living and actually shows more awaren
Donna
Jan 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Hunky men, dogs and a good mystery. This book rocked! Hope’s Crossing kennel provides a second chance for abused working dogs and the former military guys that run it. Atlas is a special case. He is a hero dog who is suffering because his handler was killed by “friendly fire” as requested Atlas is sent to Hope’s Crossing with secrets on his shoulder, David is determined to find out what happened to Atlas and his handler. The last thing he needs is a pretty subcontractor distracting him. But Atla ...more
Caro Richard
Jan 05, 2016 rated it liked it

The cover....the dog looking at his handler adoringly....I so love that!

Atlas...I could've cried for him. ...and now he is with David at Hopes Crossing Kennels to try and ease his grief.

Enter Evelyn (Lyn), who I thought came across as not knowing what she doing but maybe it's cause David is just so alpha that he took over!

The attraction is there instantly for Lyn and David and their romance was built up fantastically.

I loved the idea of the storyline and the writing was good, the stor
Madison Warner Fairbanks
Extreme Honor by Piper Drake

A contemporary romantic suspense with ex-military men and highly trained and lovable dogs. First in a series.

The hero plays the honorable card even though an immediate attraction makes restraint difficult for both. Once they succumb to passion, the devotion and emotional commitment to each other is fantastic and well written. It seemed to be an abrupt change from sexual attraction to an emotional one, but sex and highly stressed situations will probably do that.

I w
LibraryLass
2.5 stars. I'm so disappointed - the premise for both the book and the series seemed to be very promising. The execution of it was disjointed and had very erratic pacing. Won't be continuing with this series :(
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Solitary Man
  • Lethal Redemption (Steele Ops, #2)
  • Armed 'N' Ready (Federal K-9 #2)
  • Primal Force (K-9 Rescue, #3)
  • Dark 'N' Deadly (Federal K-9, #3)
  • A Hero's Heart (Resolution Ranch, #2)
  • Irresistible Force (K-9 Rescue #1)
  • Deadly Obsession (Steele Ops, #1)
  • Country Thunder (King Creek Cowboys, #2)
  • Securing Kalee (SEAL of Protection: Legacy #6)
  • Lock 'N' Load (Federal K-9, #1)
  • All In (Sleeper SEALs, #9)
  • Decked (The Invincibles #1)
  • Troy (SEALs of Honor #23)
  • Greyson (The K9 Files #9)
  • Wyatt's War (Hearts & Heroes #1)
  • Nixon's Promise (Gemini Group #1)
  • Seduced by a SEAL (Alpha SEALs #10)
Piper J. Drake is a bestselling author of romantic suspense and edgy contemporary romance, a frequent flyer, and day job road warrior. She is often distracted by dogs, cupcakes, and random shenanigans.

True Heroes (6 books)
  • Ultimate Courage (True Heroes, #2)
  • Absolute Trust (True Heroes, #3)
  • Total Bravery (True Heroes, #4)
  • Fierce Justice (True Heroes, #5)
  • Forever Strong (True Heroes, #6)