Start by marking “A Court of Thorns and Roses (A Court of Thorns and Roses, #1)” as Want to Read:
A Court of Thorns and Roses (A Court of Thorns and Roses, #1)

A Court of Thorns and Roses

(A Court of Thorns and Roses #1)

4.27  ·  Rating details ·  278,010 Ratings  ·  32,651 Reviews
Feyre's survival rests upon her ability to hunt and kill – the forest where she lives is a cold, bleak place in the long winter months. So when she spots a deer in the forest being pursued by a wolf, she cannot resist fighting it for the flesh. But to do so, she must kill the predator and killing something so precious comes at a price ...

Dragged to a magical kingdom for th
Audible Audio, 17 pages
Published May 5th 2015 by Recorded Books

To ask other readers questions about A Court of Thorns and Roses, please sign up.
Mrsbooks I don't like the idea of Feyre and Rhysand but I do want Rhysand to have his own book! I think I could have shipped them if not for everything that…moreI don't like the idea of Feyre and Rhysand but I do want Rhysand to have his own book! I think I could have shipped them if not for everything that Feyre went through to save Tamlin. But to have the Heroine risk so much for the sake of love then have her switch guys.... I don't think I'd like her too much after that.(less)
Nicole Prak No, but I'm secretly terrified there will be one between Feyre and Rhysand later on in the series. *fingers crossed* don't have a love triangle plz…moreNo, but I'm secretly terrified there will be one between Feyre and Rhysand later on in the series. *fingers crossed* don't have a love triangle plz plz plz(less)

Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies

Clearly I'm in the minority here. DNF at 30% because I just got fed up with things moving at a snail's pace and NOT MAKING SENSE AT ALL. This was one of the most uncompelling versions of Beauty and the Beast that I have ever read. The writing is nothing outstanding, there was nothing that moved me. I felt Cruel Beauty among other B&B retellings I've read this year and last have done a far superior job at moving me emotionally.

Look, I'm sure by the end of the book, all the things tie together
Jillian (bookishandnerdy)
INITIAL REACTION: WILL UPDATE WITH REVIEW LATER BUT KNOW I LOVED THIS. IT KILLED ME AND BROUGHT ME BACK TO LIFE Y'ALL.

A REVIEW IN GIFs :

Me when I received the book:
 photo iamrossexcited_zpsl6nmlo7m.gif

FEYLIN/TAMEY:
 photo tumblr_m6vjcyuNY51qdd3gno1_500_zpsioajfzl5.gif

LITERALLY ME WHENEVER THEY SPOKE TO/LOOKED AT EACH OTHER:
 photo 12695600_zpsftg16b0d.gif

THE PLOT WAS BASICALLY EVERYTHING I WANTED IT WAS...
 photo 13986870_zpsbml4mutx.gif

Amarantha,
 photo hateu_zpskbavcxsz.gif

Also Rhysand:
 photo getoffmyboat_zpscfv1l4e5.gif
(more like get off my SHIP, am I right??)

Feyre's cha
Emily May
2 1/2 stars. Maybe my rating comes as a surprise or even - if you care - a disappointment, but let me assure you: no one is more surprised or disappointed than I am.

I've had this book on my TBR ever since it appeared on Goodreads without a title, cover or description. I started reading it as soon as it became available and the array of positive reviews from my friends and strangers alike made me feel sure I would love it. But I didn't. It is possible I expected all the wrong things from A Court
Lola
A richly imagined fairy tale retelling of Beauty and the Beast!

If you’re a lover of retellings mingling romance, danger, faerie mystical creatures and a heroine that shows a significant deal of courage throughout, then this is one title you will not want to miss out and will very likely considerably enjoy.

The world-building is inventive and detailed. The different Courts of faeries are an element that adds great originality to this story. At first, A Court of Thorns and Roses might appear simila
Raeleen Lemay
This book is the result of Bella Swan being thrown into a fantasy world and trying to be Katniss Everdeen. She did not succeed.

OK MORE REVIEW:

I genuinely really enjoyed some aspects of this book, but I couldn't stand Feyre, or Tamlin... or anybody really, except for Lucien. I feel like Lucien was the only character who had an interesting back story, and he was just a much better presence than either of the main characters.

BUT THE INSTALOVE. THE INSTALOVE, GUYS. IT KILLS ME. Also verrrrry proble
Wendy Darling
4.5 stars Tamlin is going to set your loins aflame. Phew! My cheeks are still flushed.

I'm also fairly confident this book is going to help change the face of new adult fiction. How awesome to see gifted writers shaping non-contemporary stories that have the coming of age/youthful perspective and vibe of YA books and combine that with the freedom that writing for an older target audience affords them. If you liked the mood and romance of (the excellent) CRUEL BEAUTY but perhaps mourned the misse
Kat O'Keeffe
SARAH J MAAS HAS DONE IT AGAIN! An enthralling blend of fairytale elements in an awesomely original world with characters you can't help but fall in love with! A new favorite!

Full booktalk here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4HXA...
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

april 2017 - reread in prep for acowar!

Hailey (HaileyinBookland)
SPOILER FREE REVIEW: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Psls2...

*Reread April 2016
Took me centuries to reread this but it was worth it!

TEAM TAMLIN
THIS WAS FABULOUS
s j maas can do no wrong i swear to god
Sasha Alsberg
Feb 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
wow. Just wow. Sarah has done it again! This book was amazing! The romance was borderline new adult which I loved but it was also greatly paced. The plot was so well thought out and executed as well. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND A COURT OF THORNS AND ROSES!
Christine Riccio
Really enjoyed this one! Here's my booktalk: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pLYC...
Regan
May 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-owned-read
OOOoOOOOOh sooooOOooooo gooooOOOOoooddd
Jesse (JesseTheReader)
This was a solid start to this new series! I'm really interested to see where things go. I did find a few things to be a bit questionable, but I can't say what they are because HELLO SPOILERS. I'll be doing a full review/discussion on this sooooooon!
Chelsea Humphrey
Dec 01, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was so much better the second time around. I found I wasn't so concerned about rushing through to get to the next book; since I already knew what happens I was able to savor the details and carve out a tiny piece of my heart for Tam Tam (but not really because duh). On to the next one!

3.5 STARS

I am 100% embarrassed by how much I loved this book. Everything in the Humphrey household is going awry so it was wonderful being able to escape in Feyre's exciting problems and leave my own behind.
Zoë
May 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is definitely one of my favorite books of 2015!
I am a huge Beauty and the Beast fan and was in the mood for fantasy, so those combined and written by one of my favorite authors was perfection!
I definitely recommend this book to everyone and can't wait for the next installment.
Val Shameless ⚓️ Steamy Reads ⚓️
2.5 Stars

Once again, I find myself the odd man out when it comes to a massively popular book...

I went into this really excited and and really wanting to love this thing.

After seeing this book and its successors paint my feed with its courts and thorns and wings and ruin, I knew there was a lot of hype surrounding this series in general.

And this first installment just didn't live up to it for me, sadly.

There, there, Court Thornians...

description

Quite frankly, the first 60% of this book dragged like a U-Ha
Angela
SARAH J MAAS DOES IT AGAIN!!!! KNOCKED MY FREAKING SOCKS OFF AND WITH A STORY RE-TELLING?!!!!

I hate story re-tellings!!! I hate them but this, this master piece is no Beauty and the Beast. I'm just gonna jump right into everything and just a little warning: I'm so sorry if this seems like I'm frantically flapping around on my keyboard, but I'm just that excited.

I was so worried that this book would have a plot too close to Throne of Glass and that the characters would also bare that same fate..
Samantha
Sep 10, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I cannot remember ever being this conflicted over a book. There are parts of A Court of Thorns and Roses I really loved, but a lot of parts I really hated.

I went into this book fully expecting to love it. Beauty and the Beast is one of my favorite fairy tales, and I was interested to see how SJM made the story her own.

First off, my biggest problem with this story was Feyre as a character. I have never been so irritated. Her character development and personality, for the most part, didn't make
Miranda Reads
description
The first half sucks but keep reading

There's no way around it. From page 1 to about 200, Feyre is an annoying, blindingly stupid and obstinate main character.

I nearly put this book down half a dozen times (it was like reading Red Queen). BUT, midway through the book, things turned around magnificently. And I cannot wait to read the sequel.

Feyre is hunting in the middle of the woods to keep her useless starving family alive (Hunger Games, anyone?). A chance encounter with a wolf - who wasn'
Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more
5/3/18 - ON SALE for $2.99:

4/17/18: Maybe it’s b/c I listened to it—the narrator was fantastic—but Feyre was a lot less irritating this time around. Then there’s the fact that I already knew (view spoiler) I took almost sadistic pleasure in cataloguing all the signs, and, MAN ALIVE, there were a lot of them.

And all of that is why I’m raising my original 3.5 star rating to a full 4.0 stars. #idowhatiwant

4/16/18: REREAD. B/c finally
Maria
Apr 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
4.8/5 Stars ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐
“Don't feel bad for one moment about doing what brings you joy.”

I'm speechless. What am I supposed to say after this? Am I supposed to write a coherent review with vital points as to why this book WAS FUCKING AMAZING??? I CAN'T EVEN TALK RIGHT NOW I'M SPEECHLESS. I WANT THE SECOND BOOK IN MY HANDS BUT MY ORDER STILL HASN'T COME. I'M READY TO GO TO FUCKING ENGLAND MYSELF AND PURCHASE IT. KIDS I'M LITERALLY DYING HERE.

The Beauty and the Beast-esque fantasy drama tells the st
Perfection?
HALLELUJUH MY SENORITAS! :'D
Maureen
Feb 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've been anticipating this book and SARAH DID NOT DISAPPOINT! it was so wonderful and just everything. I LOVED IT SO MUCH and audibly squealed at many parts. Just...wonderful. So wonderful.

Update: I have officially influenced two people to buy this book. MUAHAHA IT BEGINS.
Warda
May 10, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: re-reads
Well, I wasn't expecting for this book to hurt like a bitch again, but it did. Even though, I was aware of what was to come, my heart bled for Feyre. Those scenes that took place Under the Mountain were written ridiculously well and massive props to Queen Maas for captivating and writing about Feyre's struggles, internal dialogue and despair like that. I felt every word, every emotion.

Despite it being my least favourite in the series, I love this book. I'm utter and complete trash for anything
Navessa
Oct 30, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Incredibly rough start. The first chapter is one of the most annoying I've ever read. Despite the compelling subject matter, I really struggled with it, because it was filled with passive and fragmented sentences. In three paragraphs alone, five sentences start with, "But". It drove me crazy, and is why it took me three attempts to finally get into this book.

BUT(view spoiler) once I did, whoa. Sure, there were some problematic themes, a few over-used tro
Jessica
Jan 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, favorites
Reread May 2026 -- still just as amazing as the first time!

Wow. So I expected to at least LIKE this book because it was written by one of my favorite authors... But I never expected to love it. I mean obviously I was hoping it would be awesome, but Sarah J. Maas has already created an incredible series that I'm so in love with, and I can't expect that she would have it in her to create TWO insanely, amazing series. I'm so impressed with her right now... Seriously... Soooo amazing. It's one of th
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
This was a re-read on Audible. It's my favorite new thing, to re-read books either through Audible or Overdrive.

I must say this was better the second time around but ye gods, I thought I was going to gag a maggot with all the lovey dovey and sex with Tamlin. I mean after falling in love with Rhys I can't even people. And also, who could have sex with some old beast after he had that ritual thing with someone else. Ewwww! I know it's some THING but I don't give a rats arse! Anyhoo, on to the nex
Shelby *trains flying monkeys*
Prepare to see what I felt like during the reading of this book...............................................................

(The original gif of the fat guy with boobs flopping in slow motion won't load. Thanks GR)

This shit reads slowwwwwlyyyyy. Not much happens in the entire first 2/3 of this whole book.
You have Feyre who is feeding her dad and her two evil stepsisters. Oh wait, this is Beauty and the Beast not Cinderella. Anyways, her dad is pretty much spineless after losing his money and
Andreea Pop
4.5 STARS

"I love you," I said, and stabbed him.

They say fairytales are forever, endless stories woven with magic. But sometimes, although you hold dear those innocent depictions of love and courage from childhood memories, your mind desires a new outlook on those tales. Case in point, A Court of Thorns and Roses by the ever-brilliant Sarah J. Maas, manages to dress the wonderful key-elements of Beauty and the Beast into a mesmerizing journey with threads of smart originality, enthralling fant
Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘

Edit 05/02 : So. GUYS. A Court of Mist and Fury comes out tomorrow and the drama is starting to give me a headache. I will read this book, even though I do agree and think that Sarah J. Maas feeds us love triangles as if they were cookies. This said, I will not be angry if Tamlin and Feyre split up, because ↓↓↓ (review is self-explanatory). I will not be upset if Rhysand owns the show because ↓↓↓ (again, review self-explanatory). Oh, no. If that happens, I WILL BE HAPPY. I am so very (not) sorry
Kainat 《HUFFLEPUFF & PROUD》
I don't mean to offend anyone by this, please don't take it seriously. I'm not using spoiler tag because i haven't read the book (not going to either), i'm just guessing here. So please correct me if i'm wrong about any of this.

Oh, yayy, would you look at that! Another book by Sarah J Mass, i wonder what it's about. Surely not about a "badass" young girl who falls in love with some jackass, both deny it till the very end. There also can't be any sprinkle of true love or meant to be, or soulmate
Help me find more like this series 14 85 4 hours, 31 min ago
SERIOUS QUESTION THAT MUST BE ANSWERED! 73 3597 Sep 22, 2018 04:43AM
Tamlin OR Rhysand? 43 1985 Sep 21, 2018 06:40AM
Celaena vs Feyre? 19 244 Sep 19, 2018 08:30AM
Play Book Tag: A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J. Maas - 4 stars 3 14 Sep 16, 2018 07:58AM
Bookworm Bitches : January 2018: A Court of Thorns and Roses 19 158 Sep 11, 2018 02:43PM
Fancast 40 1696 Sep 11, 2018 03:51AM
  • Dark Triumph (His Fair Assassin, #2)
  • The Perilous Sea (The Elemental Trilogy, #2)
  • Ruin and Rising (Grisha Verse, #3)
  • Gilded Ashes (Cruel Beauty Universe, #1.5)
  • Quintana of Charyn (Lumatere Chronicles, #3)
  • Stone Cold Touch (The Dark Elements, #2)
  • Princess of Thorns
  • Lady Thief (Scarlet, #2)
  • Hidden Huntress (The Malediction Trilogy, #2)
  • The Rose & the Dagger (The Wrath and the Dawn, #2)
  • The Vanishing Throne (The Falconer, #2)
  • The Lovely and the Lost (The Dispossessed, #2)
  • The Winter King (Weathermages of Mystral, #1)
  • Shadow Scale (Seraphina, #2)
  • Empire of Night (Age of Legends, #2)
  • The Deep End of the Sea
  • Night of Cake & Puppets (Daughter of Smoke & Bone, #2.5)
  • Viper's Creed (The Cat's Eye Chronicles, #2)
Sarah J. Maas is the New York Times and USA Today bestselling author of the Throne of Glass series (Queen of Shadows, Book 4, will be out in September 2015), as well as the A Court of Thorns and Roses series (out 5/5/15).

Sarah lives in Bucks County, PA, and over the years, she has developed an unhealthy appreciation for Disney movies and bad pop music. She adores fairy tales and ballet, drinks too

A Court of Thorns and Roses (6 books)
  • A Court of Mist and Fury (A Court of Thorns and Roses, #2)
  • A Court of Wings and Ruin
  • Untitled (A Court of Thorns and Roses, #4)
  • Untitled (A Court of Thorns and Roses, #5)
  • Untitled (A Court of Thorns and Roses, #6)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• World After (Penryn & the End of Days, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fortune's Rising (Outer Bounds #1)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • End of Days (Penryn & the End of Days, #3)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Beginning of the End (Apocalypse Z, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Going Wild (Going Wild #1)
  • Renegade: The Lost Books, Book 3
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Awakening (The Vampire Diaries, #1)
  • Making History
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Godsgrave (The Nevernight Chronicle, #2)
    $10.99 $2.99
  • Carve the Mark (Carve the Mark, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
    $12.99 $3.99
  • Enchantress (Evermen Saga, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Glass Magician (The Paper Magician Trilogy, #2)
  • Let the Right One In: A Novel
  • Come Out Tonight
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Iron Trial (Magisterium #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • First Drop of Crimson (Night Huntress World, #1)
  • Fawkes
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Sticks & Stones (Upside-Down Magic #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Hidden Relic (Evermen Saga, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Soul of the Fire (Sword of Truth #5)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • One Foot in the Grave (Night Huntress, #2)
  • The Witch's Vacuum Cleaner and Other Stories
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Last Namsara (Iskari #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Rift Uprising (The Rift Uprising Trilogy #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Girl from Everywhere (The Girl From Everywhere, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Temple of the Winds (Sword of Truth Book 4)
    $9.99 $2.49
  • The Witch's Daughter (The Witch's Daughter, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Winter King: A Novel of Arthur (Warlord Chronicles)
  • Journey to the Center of the Earth
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Riot (Peter Grant, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Venom in the Veins (Elemental Assassin, #17)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The City of Brass (The Daevabad Trilogy, #1)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • I, Robot
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Wizard's First Rule (Sword of Truth, #1)
    $8.99 $2.49
  • Running with the Demon (Word & Void #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Infomocracy (The Centenal Cycle, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Atopia Chronicles (Atopia, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Stone of Tears (Sword of Truth Book 2)
    $9.99 $2.49
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Broken Pride (Bravelands, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Quicksilver (The Baroque Cycle, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Sweep in Peace (Innkeeper Chronicles, #2)
    $4.99 $1.49
  • The Book of the Unnamed Midwife (The Road to Nowhere, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Witch's Reign (Desert Cursed, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Into the Fire  (The Thin Veil #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Malice (The Faithful and the Fallen, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Sudden Appearance of Hope
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Path of the Storm (Evermen Saga, #3)
  • Six Scary Stories
    $4.99 $1.49
  • Rite of Passage
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Across the Universe (Across the Universe, #1)
  • Flowertown
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Jilo (Witching Savannah #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Line (Witching Savannah, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Master Magician (The Paper Magician, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Compound (The Compound, #1)
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Void (Witching Savannah, #3)
“Don't feel bad for one moment about doing what brings you joy.” 1743 likes