Start by marking “The Land Was Everything: Letters from an American Farmer” as Want to Read:
The Land Was Everything: Letters from an American Farmer

The Land Was Everything: Letters from an American Farmer

4.03  ·  Rating details ·  34 Ratings  ·  6 Reviews
What does the imminent death of the family farm mean to the average American? A great deal, declares Hanson, who as both a farmer and a classics professor (California State University-Fresno) imbues this provocative, eloquent polemic with personal experience plus an unshakeable agrarian vision that harks back to Greece, Rome and the early American republic. Agribusiness, s ...more
Published April 20th 2000 by Free Press

To ask other readers questions about The Land Was Everything, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Land Was Everything

Nate
Jul 10, 2009 rated it liked it
Interesting stuff form a owner/operator of a family farm located in California's central valley. A little overly cranky at times but seemed mostly fair and believable like an experienced older man just telling you how it is, with analogies from ancient Greece thrown in. Mainly appreciated hearing an advocate for the family farm that was more Jefferson and less dirty hippie.
Ammon
Mar 19, 2010 is currently reading it
Shelves: fiction
I'm trying to explore Georgics. This was my first exposure to Goergic literature and I'm impressed by some of it, but I hate a lot of what this author has to say so far.

He seems to believe that there is inherent value in farming and that there is something inherently wrong with not owning your own land and using it for your subsistance.
Lisa
Nov 12, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: agriculture
I read this for an independent project for one of my classes. I love Hanson's premises-- what are we losing, when our culture loses small farmers? While I enjoy academic essays, this was heavy at times and terribly hard to get through.
Colin
Feb 25, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Pretty much anything by Victor Davis Hanson is worth reading. I re-read this book in August and September of 2011. A fascinating look at the growth of agribusiness and the demise of family farming, from the perspective of Classicist and farmer Victor Davis Hanson.
Marti
Sep 10, 2012 rated it it was ok
Still prefer fiction, but this was interesting & good for harvest time.
Esther
May 16, 2011 added it
This book was an honest read and very enjoyable.
Jana Botkin
Andy Arthur
Oct 21, 2009
Chip
Sep 18, 2007
Hanson was educated at the University of California, Santa Cruz (BA, Classics, 1975), the American School of Classical Studies (1978-79) and received his Ph.D. in Classics from Stanford University in 1980. He lives and works with his family on their forty-acre tree and vine farm near Selma, California, where he was born in 1953.
More about Victor Davis Hanson