Start by marking “Seniors Sleuth (Winston Wong Cozy Mystery, #1)” as Want to Read:
Seniors Sleuth (Winston Wong Cozy Mystery, #1)

Seniors Sleuth (Winston Wong Cozy Mystery, #1)

Winston Wong used to test video games but has left his downward spiraling career to follow in the footsteps of Encyclopedia Brown, his favorite childhood detective. When the Pennysaver misprints his new job title, adding an extra “s” to his listing, Winston becomes a “Seniors Sleuth.” He gets an easy first case, confirming the natural death of a ninety-year-old man. Howeve ...more
Published May 9th 2015

To ask other readers questions about Seniors Sleuth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Seniors Sleuth

Joy Weese Moll
May 09, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: cozy mystery lovers
Seniors Sleuth is a cozy mystery that offers the quirky characters, fun plot twists, and intriguing settings that I love in that genre. In this case, the plot joins two environments that we don’t normally see together — elder care and video gaming. Neither are particularly familiar to me, but I loved the juxtaposition and the opportunity to learn about both.

More thoughts on my blog Seniors Sleuth
LORI CASWELL
Aug 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2015
Dollycas’s Thoughts
J.J. Chow introduces us to Winston Wong, a man trying to start over after his investments dry up and his sister bails him out by buying him a house to live in. He decides to become a sleuth like his favorite childhood detective. He is not licensed but takes out an ad in the Pennysaver to get his new business off the ground. A typo in the ad changes his plan just a bit. Instead of a Senior Sleuth he becomes a Seniors Sleuth and his first case has him investigating a death at an
Julia Tomiak
Winston is smart, slightly pudgy, and fun to spend time with. As he picks up clues, he lets the reader in on his deductions, which I enjoyed. But just because Winston keeps the reader in the loop, don’t think that you’ll guess the ending. The guilty character completely surprised me.

There’s plenty of diversity in the novel, including characters with Asian and African-American ethnicity.

Some of the eccentric characters felt one-dimensional or predictable- there’s a belligerent Vietnam Vet and als
Serena DeNardo
Apr 28, 2019 rated it liked it
I really enjoyed this narrator. He’s clear, crisp, right amount of emotion, keeps the story moving.

Overall I thought story had a strong start with a great premise. Winston, the Seniors Sleuth is a smart, fun and quirky character. He stumbled & bumbled into this new profession and was seemingly making the most of it. Something I could definitely relate to!

I loved the seniors in this book, but would have enjoyed a little less characters and a lot more development for the mystery novel it was.
Alex Mu
Sep 06, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: audible
The premise was interesting. You wouldn’t think of seniors needing a dedicated sleuth, or that a detective would particularly want to specialize in senior cases. The main character Winston Wong didn’t mean to be a senior sleuth, but in a case of life happens, a typo lands him as one.

The detective execution was not the best I’ve come across. Winston tended to bumble along and didn’t seem to really know what he was doing or have a process. He seemed to stumble along in a bit of a ‘shoot this dart
Michele
May 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is cozy mystery--the first in the series about a private investigator who is trying to get it right! According to his parents (he didn't become a doctor or a lawyer), sister (hey its his older sister) and even himself there has been very little in his life that had gone right. He had lost almost all the money he had when he invested it in a "sure thing". So now, license or no license he had to somehow become a private investigator. I mean really--the printers even got his business card wron ...more
Christa Nardi
Jul 12, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Winston needs a new career after a financial disaster in the dot.com industry. His sister bales him out, pays for the house he lives in, and he sets up an office as a "sleuth" - not as PI since he has no training other than his problem-solving skills from being a gamer. He places his first ad, and in walks Cameron with her grandmother, apparently with dementia. His first case - convince Eve that dd "Teddy's" death was not murder is seemingly more complex than it first appears. He sets off and di ...more
Kate
Jun 30, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The premise was intriguing, but the main character, Winston Wong, was less so. His habit of announcing to anyone and everyone who he was and what he was looking for, rather than downplaying his intentions and covertly gathering intel, was confusing. The ease with which he obtained most of his information was questionable. Additionally, many of the characters were difficult to connect with, and the mystery's solution was a bit of a letdown.

However, there is promise in Ms. Chow's writing. The mys
Annie
Mar 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
** I was given a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review **

This is a fun beginning to a cute series that I would like more of! Winston is a new Detective, he has been a video game tester and was trying to get into that business with no luck, and needs a new career...he accidentally botches his new business cards from Senior Sleuth to Seniors Sleuth..and lands a case investigating the death of an older gentlemen at a fancy senior living facility...well this case is more complex th
Janice Spina
Jan 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fun beginning to this mystery series!

Seniors Sleuth is the first book in this Winston Wong Series. Winston is an unusual detective. He is not a large man and there is nothing extraordinary about him. But he gets the job done in his own inimitable way. He insinuates himself into situations and people talk to him as if he were a friend.

In this book you will find, murder, greed, revenge and some love thrown into the mix with plenty of twists and turns. Winston finds love in his first case and help
A Holland Reads
Jun 15, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a fun quick mystery to read and a new good series. I like how the author included a little humor along with the mystery solving. The characters were very fun and unique. There are just enough twists that you will find yourself guessing right up until the last part of the book. It was kind of fun to see the video game world collide the retirement world. These are two parts of the world that normally do not go together but the author did this meshing of the two in a nice way. This is a pe ...more
Emma
May 11, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cozy-mystery, fiction
When a misprinted ad leads Senior Sleuth, Winston Wong, to a case at the Sweet Breeze Residential Care Facility, he thinks he might just be going through the motions. However when his investigation turns up a real murder mystery, Winston realizes that both Sweet Breeze and it's inhabitants hold more secrets than originally thought.

A sweet and informative narrative, Senior Sleuth is a page turner with memorable characters and a believable plot. I can't wait to read more on these characters and ho
Deborah
Sep 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I wasn't sure I was going to like this book at first but then was caught up in the twists and turns and listened nonstop until the end. Usually I can tell who done it by the middle of the book, but not this one. There was some extreme HIPAA violations by a terrific nurse, but I chalk that up to artistic license. The narration was excellent. I am looking forward to the next book in the series.

"This audiobook was provided by the author, narrator, or publisher at no cost in exchange for an unbiased
Susan Furlong
May 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a delightful mystery featuring an endearing sleuth and a cast of interesting secondary characters. The retirement community setting is different from many cozy mysteries, but a refreshing change of pace. Perhaps the best part of this mystery is that it’s a true, clue-based whodunit that allows the reader to solve the mystery along with the protagonist. Overall, enjoyable and recommended for all mystery buffs.
Elaine
Jun 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015-challenge
Winston Wong is a determined "sleuth",(he prefers this title to PI) who investigates a curious death in an old age home. His shrewd intuition brings him to track down the clues that lead him to the responsible person.
I liked the author's easy writing style and her way of inserting exciting twists into the plot. Winston's character was well defined and I found him to be very likable.
A truly interesting read and a book I couldn't put down!
A must for mystery lovers!
Debbie
Sep 03, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Winston Wong

This is a ordinary story about a first-time detective on his first case. He has none of the qualities you would think a detective would have. He's not tall, nothing about him being good-looking and of course he carries no weapon. His detecting skills are mediocre! In his first case, he's out to find out what happened to an elderly man at an assisted-living home. With the help of a nurse working at the home, he figures it out.
Shelley Giusti
Jun 04, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Do you want a book that will make you laugh, with fun witty characters and a story line so good you won't want to stop reading it. What book am I talking about you ask? Seniors Sleuth by Jennifer J. Chow.

This book was so fun to read and it really brighten my day with the wit and charm that Winston brings makes this book a fun-filled with a side of murder book you will want to read until the end. I couldn't put it down.
Allison
Pretty good. Different characters in this cosy. Not your typical stay-at-home Mom solves crime while driving the carpool. This time it's a single, Asian man who's starting over after losing all his money on investments. He's the drop out of the family but finds his niche by accident helping Seniors solve crimes.
Sherry Berkin
May 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I LOVED this cozy mystery. So perfect for summer! Winston is at first bumbling-but-lovable but he starts to get his groove as the book and mystery progresses. Loved the twists and turns, loved the eclectic, memorable characters and loved the quirky setting. I can't wait for the next Winston Wong adventure! :)
Rebecca Leeper
Jun 06, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun read

I love mysteries. I think that Winston Wong will be a good and fun read for anyone who enjoys a laugh with their mysteries. The characters are believable and at some point you will want to spend more time with then. Thanks for the fun read.
Heather  Erickson
Jun 11, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
No, no, no

I am a pretty generous reader, but I couldn't get past the first chapter. The dialogue was so unbelievable, and the premise was downright silly. Spare yourself this book and use your time reading something you will enjoy. Life is too short for bad books.
Carlissa
Sep 01, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Carlissa by: AudiobookBlast
This is a fun cozy mystery about a middle-aged game tester turned sleuth. The characters were interesting and a little eccentric. I enjoyed listening to this story; the narrator, Noah DeBiase, was good.

I received a free copy of this audiobook from Audiobookblast for an honest review.
Jeri Bitney
Entertaining, but implausible. It seemed as though things just suddenly happened, with no lead-in or process to explain what was going on.
Linda Cole
Jun 02, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good

Entertaining and vastly d. Liked Winston the trail to the murderer was full of misleading clues. The ending was summed up in a flippant manner
Marilyn Groves
Jun 06, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 1, light, mystery
Just too far fetched and silly for me. Didn't help that I didn't connect with the main character at all.

I finished the book, but don't think I'll pursue the series (sorry Ms. Chow)
Suzan
Jul 15, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
I enjoyed this audiobook. Both the story and the narrator were good. I received this audiobook free with the understanding that I would give an honest review.
Jeanne R. Stanis

• The Ruin of Beltany Ring: A Collection of Pagan Poems and Tales
  • Keeping Your Spirits Up
  • A Fly on the Wall
  • The God Gene
  • True Form (True Form, #1)
  • Uncle John's Bathroom Reader Zipper Accidents
  • Blood for Stone
  • Catacombs of the Damned
  • Dying to Dream
  • Wrapped Up In Brown Paper And Other Poems
  • Drawing the Dead
  • Blood and Ghosts: Paranormal Forensics Investigators
  • Grant vs. Lee: The Graphic History of the Civil War's Greatest Rivals During the Last Year of the War
  • Horror in Honduras (The Bulletproof Adventures of Damian Stockwell,#1)