Start by marking “Jinn” as Want to Read:

3.75  ·  Rating details ·  407 Ratings  ·  33 Reviews
It is May 1943. On the remote island of Bougainville, in the South Pacific, a squad of United States Marines beats their way through the thick jungle. They've landed to do battle with the Japanese soldiers on the island, but in short order, they begin to realize that the forbidding battleground holds an ancient secret a hundred times more terrifying than any enemy army---e ...more
Published April 24th 2004 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published February 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Jinn, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jinn

Nancy Oakes
Feb 12, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror
This novel had me riveted to my chair for hours. And at just under 550 pages, that says a lot for the author. While much more suspenseful than truly frightening, it had its share of horror moments. I would definitely recommend it to horror-genre readers. And I've read somewhere that this book was optioned for a film. That ought to be good!

plot summary in brief

The first part of Jinn begins during World War II during a Marine landing on one of the Solomon Islands. The Marines are there in the mids
thornhands
Aug 04, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorite, deutsch
Einer meiner absoluten Favoriten. Die Welt ist gut aufgebaut und der Hintergrund plausibel.
Wer einen Hauch Fantasy mit seiner Polizeiinvestigation mag sollte dieses Buch in die Hand nehmen.
Joseph
Oct 25, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
This book had some genuinely creepy and scary scenes in it. Scenes that are worth relishing and rereading. The reason I gave it two stars is because the ending was so silly and corny. How a story ends is one of the most important parts and here it just ruined it for me. I wish so badly that I could recommend this book, but I can't.
Rich Stoehr
"Jinn" is a novel that gets most of the basics right: an interesting idea, a good story, a few twists and turns, a potentially scary monster/villain to focus in on. Unfortunately, it's also a book in which the details get lost in a confusing, and sometimes contradictory, set of occurrences.

The book opens promisingly enough, in the heat of battle in World War II. The reader is promised a cross between "Saving Private Ryan" and "The Relic," and here it is in the first 50 pages. Astute readers will
Eleonore Rigby
Sep 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, horror
Dieses Buch geht erst dann so richtig los, wenn man die ersten 100 Seiten hinter sich gebracht hat. Man weiß zu Beginn noch nicht so wirklich, um was es eigentlich gehen wird - aber es steht fest: irgendetwas Krankes, Gestörtes und abgrundtief Böses lauert im Dunkeln auf seine Opfer, um diese auf grausame Weise zu ermorden. Als diese bizarre Morde die beiden Polizisten Jefferson und Brogan erreichen, wissen sie am Anfang noch nicht, was auf sie zukommt. Im Verlauf des Romans merkt man immer deut ...more
Monique
Aug 27, 2008 rated it really liked it
So a book about evil spirits, reincarnation and more military lingo than you ever cared to know but overall a great read..This book overlaps a couple of stories with a common thread of a mysterious, superhuman evil spirit that hunts and brutally murders well everyone..This spirit however is pretty selective and has a purpose to his bloody haunts and it kind of forces you to suspend reality but works..This book has some gory bloody scenes and the war descriptions, and the murders so vividly detai ...more
S
Jun 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant!!! Suspense. History. Scary (but believable) monsters. This guy needs to sit down and write some more books for me!!
Kfdowner
Jan 18, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Spooky, creepy, well done! Hope this guy writes another book someday.
Diana Prit
Sep 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
New author, excellent first Book.

This book would keep me thinking all night.

lOVE IT! Great horror suspense, not for those who are squeamish..
Dorie
May 06, 2008 rated it it was amazing
One of my favorites!!!!
Nick
Sep 30, 2017 rated it liked it
Jinn has a very cool premise and I like that it doesn't really fully come together until the final 40 pages or so (and you won't get the complete picture until the final 10). Those final 40 pages are also some of the best in the book, though, so you've got to get to them. I enjoyed it, but wow, he needs a better copy editor. (This could have already happened, though. I'm late to the game with Jinn.)
Georg Britzkow
Jun 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Beatufil novel, mixing "Saving Private Ryan", "The Relict" and "Seven". Definitely a must-have for every urban fantasy/horror-fan
James
Dec 15, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Reincarnated Evil Genie Wrecks Havoc in this Confusing and Wordy Tale

The novel starts off well with the Americans fighting the Japanese during the World War. A lone platoon on one of the Pacific Islands runs into something in the jungle which is brutally killing soldiers. When the survivors are shipped home they unknowingly bring it with them to Boston where it begins to terrorize the city.
The cops who pursue the Jinn, a shape changing beast, go from disbelief to an understanding that their f
Pamela
Aug 23, 2009 rated it liked it
This was a really interesting read, but not for the faint of heart. It gets a bit graphic as the author takes you through WWII battles in the pacific islands, to the attrocities of war in Bosnia, to crime scenes in the present time. If you like suspense-thrillers, you'll probably enjoy this one. If you like books about war, you'll probably like parts of it... If you like sci-fi or mysteries, there's a chance you'll really dig it too. There were a bunch of characters that got a little bit confusi ...more
Patrick Bättig
Feb 09, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
Die Geschichte beginnt mit Krieg - dem Zweiten Weltkrieg im Dschungel Japans. Amerikanische Soldaten landen auf einer kleinen japanischen Insel, dringen in den Dschungel vor und schon bald sind die Japaner nicht die einzigen, die tödliche Gefahr bedeuten. Etwas Unheimliches geht in der Nacht um und dezimiert die Soldaten der Reihe nach. Szenenwechsel, mehr als sechzig Jahre später: Ein lange gesunkenes Wrack wird mit neuesten Techniken aus dem Pazifik geborgen. Es handelt sich um ein Schiff, das ...more
Suzana Thompson
Jul 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror
I love the deliciously creepy first part of this book. It takes place during World War II while Marines are fighting Japanese soldiers. They find out that something supernatural is stalking both sides. If the entire book had continued in that setting, I would have rated it five stars.

Unfortunately, after the time skip into the modern day, the story wasn't the riveting mystery for me that it had been in the first portion of the book. That first part was unforgettably exciting for me though. It wa
Christopher  Nelson
Mar 25, 2012 rated it liked it
The plot and background are well built, but the characters felt a bit stiff in places. Overall, good story but I felt it would have been better with a bit more editing for believability. I do recommend it, as it is a great monster piece and Mr. Delaney has a very original concept here. Overall, I enjoyed Jinn: A Novel and my favorite aspect were creature descriptions. There were definitely some haunting moments here.
MysteryD8
Sep 16, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: stopped-reading
I had to give up completely on this one. The general-editing mistakes were passable, but the complete lack of flow and chapter breaks made this unreadable. If I have to force myself through a book, it is no longer fun.
Cathy (cathepsut)
Not a bad story, but after slightly over 200 pages I decided to drop this book. 764 pages is too much. The story just moves too slowly. I skimmed briefly through the rest of it and think this could have been a really gripping story with half the pages.
Monica
Sep 02, 2012 rated it liked it
Had to read it during the day because it was creepy but I enjoyed it until the last couple chapters. And than it just fell apart for me. But I gave it 3 stars because it kept my interest for most of the book.
KeithGentles
Jun 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jinn

I have read this book before and it only gets better with age. The author somehow manages to weave a story of horror,romance and reincarnation into a beautifully rendered storyline that will resonate with the reader long after the last page has been turned!
Duane Bowker
Aug 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
A scary one loaned to me by Nadja. Boston police detectives on the hunt for a gruesome serial killer. The killer is an ancient daemon released from the Island of Bougainville during World War II and, needless to say, is not going down without a fight.
Mark
Oct 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is the best book ever love it need to read more like this..........
Nakia
Jan 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
If this book had a proper editor, it would be really good. I especially enjoyed the sections that took place during the war.
Keely
Jan 13, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Great book.
Allan
Sep 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this. It has a great background story and goes from the past to the present seamlessly. Fantastic read! Highly recommended.
Michele Wesley
Apr 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was so descriptive that it some of the gruesome scenes chilled me to the bone. I have been waiting for Mr. Delaney to write another book! Excellent Read!
Meacie
Feb 28, 2009 rated it it was ok
Opening scene similar to Saving Private Ryan. A bit too graphic for my taste and the story dragged on a bit.
Taylor Hoege
Sep 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
An extremely suspenseful story mixing a police mystery with SciFi/Fantasy. Keeps you glued to the pages and wanting more.
  • House of Bones (Point Horror Unleashed)
  • Midnight Cab
  • Die dunkle Seite
  • Das Druidentor
  • Toxic (Seamus Moynihan, #1)
  • Medusa
  • The Knight of Death: The Assassin Chronicles (The Red Cross of Gold #1)
  • Son of the Endless Night
  • Great Sky Woman (Great Sky Woman, #1)
  • Dream House
  • Crimson
  • The Hickory Staff (The Eldarn Sequence, #1)
  • Burying the Shadow
  • Ghost Radio
  • PETER AND THE VAMPIRES (Volume One) (PETER AND THE MONSTERS Book 1)
  • The Confessor