Start by marking “Hammerhead Six: How Green Berets Waged an Unconventional War Against the Taliban to Win in Afghanistan's Deadly Pech Valley” as Want to Read:

Two years before the action in Lone Survivor, a Green Berets A Team conducted a very different, successful mission in Afghanistan's notorious Pech Valley. Led by Captain Ronald Fry, Hammerhead Six applied the principles of unconventional warfare to "win hearts and minds" and fight against the terrorist insurgency.

In 2003, the Special Forces soldiers entered an area later c
Published January 19th 2016 by Hachette Books

To ask other readers questions about Hammerhead Six, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hammerhead Six

Mike
Jan 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Note: I received this free copy of Hammerhead Six: How Green Berets Waged an Unconventional War Against the Taliban to Win in Afghanistan's Deadly Pech Valley through the Goodreads Giveaway program, with the expectation that a review would follow. Here is my review:

This book gets a strong 4 Stars as an excellent textbook on Special Forces and Unconventional Warfare and on how an SF “A”-team conducted a successful UW mission in Afghanistan‘s Kunar Province, Pech Valley in 2003-2004. To show how d
Roger Feenstra
The worst book on war I have read. The U.S. could have sent volunteers from the Peace Corps to do what these Green Berets did. It would have saved us millions of dollars.
Nick
"Hammerhead Six" is a book that everyone should read. It doesn't glorify war, but tells the story of how a team of Americans made a positive change in a war-torn valley in Afghanistan later known as the Valley of Death. Captain Fry's story of his team's work in the Pech Valley is inspiring and a tribute to the power of understanding and cooperation. It's a grand adventure story as well, told from the viewpoint of an older troop; instead of the scared youth, you get the story through the eyes of ...more
James Chally
Mar 26, 2018 rated it it was ok
I give this 2.5 stars. Reading this is kind of like the story you get after you separate two kids who were fighting on the playground and you pull one of them aside to find out what happened. Everything is interpreted through his biased lens; this is probably best illustrated in the chapter ‘High Noon’ which he offers up as yet another example of how he undermined support for local insurgents through what I guess he classifies as psychological warfare. Anyone who has spent any time in this count ...more
Chris
May 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Telling it true

This isn't a book long on firefights and midnight raids. This is a book about how a Green Beret force won over the hearts and minds of "the enemy" by understanding where they were and who they were interacting with. These gents did what Green Berets are supposed to do, and multiplied the force strength of indigenous personnel through training and diplomacy. Hats off to Hammerhead Six for not seeing a world filled with nails. I think they were onto something.
Debbi Faust
Mar 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I won this book through Goodreads. I let my husband read it since these are the kinds of books he likes to read.

These are his thoughts about the book......."It is a very well written story of how the Special Force Soldiers are trained to do their job. I would definitely recommend this book to anyone who is interested in reading about the war against Afghanistan. (It reminded me of my army days in Laos in the early 60's.)"
Atar
Jun 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: military
Fantastic account of how Special Forces (Green Berets) did what so many others in uniform could not. To get an area of operations under control by way of kindness, appreciation, respect, and a little gunfire in Afghanistan with only 60 Americans and 100 Afghans is monumental. It shows that fighting an unconventional war in an unconventional way works. They fought the war they were in and not the war they want. A great read!
Benjamin Neely
Jul 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was a great book! It provides some detail in to the early successes in the Pech valley. Understanding those early successes, and seeing the changes since then is telling. I think if we had kept with CPT Fry's strategy we would be in a much better position than we are now. I f you like military history, this is a great book.
Leanna Kowallis
I received this book from a goodreads giveaway. Thank you! This book was hard to read for me because I'm not too familiar with all the military jargon and acronyms he was using. However, I thought it was a very interesting story about one group's experience in Afghanistan.
A Burrow
Sep 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent unconventional methods to win conventional wars. An absolute read and strategy for today and the future.

Excellent unconventional methods to win conventional wars. Should be a required read for military strategy for today and the future.
Rich Beckwith
May 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Simply …

Romans 12:20-21

20-On the contrary:
“If your enemy is hungry, feed him;
if he is thirsty, give him something to drink.
In doing this, you will heap burning coals on his head.”

21-Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.
Benjamin Charles
Nov 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Excellent read for all current and future SOF operators. Also provides key insight from an unconventional perspective for those who are so interested.
Diana West
Aug 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fry writes with veracity and humility:

His expertise in-theatre and his frank, descriptive honesty make this a textbook must! What a patriot! What an honest-to-gosh hero!
Susan
Mar 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: misc-read
I won this book through Goodreads. Wow. Really incredible group of soldiers. Beautifully written and so crazy, scary, heartwarming, inspiring. So glad to have read this.
Stlcardslca
Jun 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely great read. The author makes it enjoyable and easy to read while also teaching relevant lessons about UW and leadership in the complex operational environment of today's world.
Ben Prill
Feb 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Simply outstanding! This Captain was mature beyond his years. As a CGO in the armed forces, I am adding him to my list of role models.
Adam
Mar 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Imagine where we’d be if this ODAs successes had been repeated....many years and lives later, we’re still in the same places where this SF A Camp had such success.......
Greynomad
Jul 20, 2017 rated it liked it
A good reminder of how to fight unconventional warfare in a country as Afghanistan.
Vietnam is a classic example of WWII mentality of losing a conflict.
Chuckdee
Apr 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An excellent account of modern Special Forced, and how they should be deployed...many lessons to be learned/ studied
Jessica Crouse
Mar 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received a copy of this book from the publisher Hachette Books through the Goodreads Giveaways program.

I found this book to be very informative and interesting. The voice of Captain Ronald Fry lends an interesting perspective and invited me to understand the complicated environment of the Pech Valley in that time as well as the nuances of unconventional warfare. As I was reading, I appreciated the reflections that tied in the history of the region and dynamics of previous conflicts in Afghanis
Debbs
Mar 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A "should read" for current military personnel

An insiders look into how conflicts can be be resolved without hate and a large body count. Recommended for all current military.
Tim
Jan 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
The weekend that I finished this book, two migrants from Afghanistan were arrested in Uppsala, Sweden, in connection with a three-hour gang rape of a woman that was broadcast on Facebook Live. This book describes how a team of Green Berets set up a Forward Operating Base, called Camp Blessing, in the Pech Valley in Afghanistan in the mid-2000s. While a part of the mission was to capture known terrorists in the region, a larger part of the mission was to protect the inhabitants of the region, and ...more
Adan
May 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A glimpse into how an unconventional war could be "won".

In 2003, an elite team of twelve US Army Special Forces Soldiers were sent into one of the most dangerous provinces in Northeastern Afghanistan. Their mission was a unique one: set up the first Special Forces "A" camp since the Vietnam to train and interact with the locals to fight back against the Taliban insurgency. In the year that followed, the Special Forces team revealed one of the most successful counterinsurgency missions ever condu
Jason Wills
Feb 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I bought the book because I have met Ron Fry and heard him describe some of his Pech Valley experiences. This is a well written narrative of Unconventional Warfare that has some excellent lessons for anyone interested in gaining insight into the day to day life of guerrilla war.
Instead of a war story with a background of faceless civilians and endless explosions, this gives a glimpse of life in a country where normal citizens are caught between horrific neighbors (or friends and relatives) and
Craig Bowman
Apr 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book is different than most Afghan War military books. It shows how the Green Berets take a different approach then let's say the Marines or standard army approach of staying behind barbed wire fences on bases and only leaving their base to go on search and destroy missions. The Green Berets infiltrate themselves into the local communities and work with locals to build aid stations and repair infrastructure to build trust with the village elders. They grow long beards like the locals and of ...more
Cropredy
May 09, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: history
First off, despite the title, this is not a book about a bunch of Green Berets fending off massed Taliban assaults on an indefensible outpost in Alamo or Rorke's Drift style.

Instead, it is an intelligent account by a smart Green Beret captain on how his team of twelve trained 100+ Afghans to win the hearts and minds of the local populace. His unit's tour of duty lasted less than a year but it seems to have been a text book application of counter insurgency doctrine, how a US citizen would want
Dave Crowder
Nov 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is a well-written account of a truly amazing story. What Captain Fry and his fellow soldiers accomplished in Afghanistan is truly remarkable. It breaks my heart and frustrates me that this story hasn't been widely told in the military and in our country. Our military efforts in Afghanistan and other countries would be so much more effective if the strategies and tactics that these Green Berets used to win hearts and minds were studied and used in other military campaigns. Anyone interested ...more
James
Apr 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Very interesting read and it reminded me of a book I read on the Vietnam War called "Stalking the Viet Cong". Even if you're not in the military, Ron Fry does a great job explaining terms and concepts throughout. If you have been to Afghanistan or are to deploy there one day, then I highly recommend reading this book. It shows how unconventional warfare and outside the box thinking can have positive results.
Travis
Apr 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Great ride along with a commander in Afghanistan. Very interesting to see where the mission and men were able to do their job, and where they were hamstrung by their location. Sad to read in light of how their work was later destroyed. Makes me wonder just what the heck we are attempting to accomplish. But that answer is beyond the scope of this wonderful tome.
John
Feb 22, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, history
An interesting look at one unit's experience in Afghanistan using unconventional warfare to successfully win the battle for 'hearts and minds' followed by a short afterward explaining how the Army then negated all that work by returning to conventional operations resulting in the region becoming the deadliest in the country until the Army pulled out in 2011.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Missing cover 5 26 Nov 30, 2015 09:25AM
  • Zero Footprint: The True Story of a Private Military Contractor's Covert Assignments in Syria, Libya, and the World's Most Dangerous Places
  • Relentless Strike: The Secret History of Joint Special Operations Command
  • One Hundred Victories: Special Ops and the Future of American Warfare
  • Double Agent: The First Hero of World War II and How the FBI Outwitted and Destroyed a Nazi Spy Ring
  • American Spartan: The Promise, the Mission, and the Betrayal of Special Forces Major Jim Gant
  • The Generals: Patton, MacArthur, Marshall, and the Winning of World War II
  • The Battle of the Crater
  • Beyond the Call: The True Story of One World War II Pilot's Covert Mission to Rescue POWs on the Eastern Front
  • The Other Side of the Mountain: Mujahideen Tactics in the Soviet Afghan War
  • No Way Out: A Story of Valor in the Mountains of Afghanistan
  • Level Zero Heroes: The Story of U.S. Marine Special Operations in Bala Murghab, Afghanistan
  • Lords of the Sky: Fighter Pilots and Air Combat, from the Red Baron to the F-16
  • Battle Ready: Memoir of a SEAL Warrior Medic
  • The Last Stand of Fox Company: A True Story of U.S. Marines in Combat
  • Rescue at Los Baños: The Most Daring Prison Camp Raid of World War II
  • The Eve of Destruction: The Untold Story of the Yom Kippur War
  • America's War for the Greater Middle East
  • Hunter Killer: Inside America's Unmanned Air War

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
US Army Captain Ronald Fry was born in Diamond Bar, California. He attended Brigham Young University and served as a missionary in France and Switzerland for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. Fry entered military service in 1996. Fry is a third-generation veteran who served in the 82nd Airborne Division and as a Special Forces team leader in Afghanistan. The mission to the Pech Vall ...more