Start by marking “Phoenix Rising: A novel of Anne Boleyn” as Want to Read:
Phoenix Rising: A novel of Anne Boleyn

Phoenix Rising: A novel of Anne Boleyn

The last hour of Anne Boleyn's life...

Court intrigue, revenge and all the secrets of the last hour are revealed as one queen falls and another rises to take her place on destiny's stage.

A young Anne Boleyn arrives at the court of King Henry VIII. She is to be presented at the Shrovetide pageant, le Château Vert. The young and ambitious Anne has no idea that a chance enco
Kindle Edition
Published May 19th 2015 by MadeGlobal Publishing (first published May 18th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Phoenix Rising, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Phoenix Rising

TL
Jan 14, 2017 rated it liked it
Everyone plays a role in the destiny of their time.

"She whispered, “It will come unexpected. It will come from behind you. It will hit you so quickly, you will never see it coming. You will not even know that you have been struck from behind.”

“What does it mean?” I ask.

“I do not know, Queen Anne, but you are to be told these words,” she said.
With that, I tried to pay her, but she would take nothing. Shuddering, I now wondered if she had foreseen today. "

"The last few days have been ever so di
Christoph Fischer
Jun 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
"Phoenix Rising: A novel of Anne Boleyn" by Hunter Jones is a beautifully artistic and original piece of historical fiction that evoked a wide range of emotions in me. The book moved me and brought magic and wonder to the sad event in British History. Being a fan of fiction about the Tudor times I'm pleased to have found a book with such a unique and engaging approach.
Jones tells of the last hour of Queen Anne Boleyn and does so wonderfully with the help of an astrological chart: Twelve segments
Mary
Short book that I wish could've been longer. It was so very good. Excellent writing! A fictional account of Queen Anne's last hour alive, told from different perspectives. Completely believable and Jones is an exceptional storyteller. Although I knew the outcome, my heart began to beat faster as Anne's hour of deliverance drew near. Long live the Queen!! Wait. No? Ok. Well, long live Hunter S. Jones!!

**I was graciously given a DRC of this book by the author. A review was not requested, expected
kai jiang
Jul 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
When I first saw this book on The Readers Hollow, I knew I had to read it. (Thanks to Erin from Readers Hollow for giving me a chance to review this book) ever since 4th grade I've had a slight obsession with Henry VIII and his wives, especially Anne Boleyn, so I was excited to read Rising Phoenix. I started this book on my flight and finished it about two hours later, so this book is a nice quick read.

I really enjoyed Rising Phoenix, even thought I've read a lot of historical fiction based on A
Donna
May 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
First of all, let me begin by saying I love the cover!!! Anne Boleyn and Jane Seymour together....two Queens of Henry.

Now, on to the book. Amazing doesn't begin to describe this well written story. Much has been written about Anne, about her life, about her death but never from the viewpoint of everyone in her circle, and never occurring in the last hour of her life. Yes, I said the last hour!. This book delves into the feelings, ideas and views of the individuals, both friend and foe, who surro
Kara
Dec 09, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: tudor-wife-2

This is a solid first draft of what could be a good book.

If I was her editor, I would draw a red line through the prologue (because found manuscripts are a difficult trick to pull off without looking cliché), tell her to get rid of all real magic and replace it with regional superstition and proto-science, and then re-write about 80% of the primary sources quoted in her own words.

The overall structure of the book showcasing the turbulence of Anne Boleyn’s last hours not just for her but for eve
D.K. Cassidy
Jun 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful and Sad.

This book takes place during the last moments of Anne Boleyn's short life. It was fascinating to read about the complicated preparations she went through prior to her beheading.

Was she a temptress or a victim? History hasn't been kind to Anne Boleyn. She is normally portrayed as a king seducer, and a marriage wrecker.

Author Hunter S. Jones stunning prose brought me to the Tower of London, I felt as if I was in the cell with Anne. For fans of historical fiction, and especially f
Kathleen
May 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Really captivating and entertaining, I give it 4.5 stars and my only problem with it is that some of the letters from minor players in this account were a bit dry or unclear.

An excellent way to tell the story of someone whose life ended tragically. I might suggest Harry Duke of Buckingham and/or his wife Katherine Woodville for an alternative history of this type.

I am looking forward to whatever Hunter Jones will be working on next.
Thomas
May 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
To begin, let me pay homage to whoever it is that did the book cover. It is simply gorgeous, eyecatching in every conceivable way, colorful, aesthetically pleasing, and very enticing. This cover makes you want to buy the book just for the cover artwork.

After you catch your breath, and take a second look at the cover, you focus on the fact that there are two women dressed in red and gold. The red background is used for the woman dressed in gold while the gold background is used for the woman dres
Lynn Worton
May 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is an intriguing look into the last hours of Anne Boleyn's life. A friend of mine recommended this book to me. I am not really a huge reader of historical fiction, but who hasn't heard about these royals and the tragic circumstances leading up to Anne Boleyn's beheading? So, being curious, I decided to give this book a try.

First off, I would like to say that the cover is very striking. It definitely catches the eye and has many elements in it that are relevant to the story within the cover.
Wanda Hartzenberg
May 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016
I grew up with stories of the King who did not divorce but beheaded instead. I knew of Jane and I knew of Anne. I believe the others names were mentioned repeatedly but it was on Anne's name that the most nuances rested. Trying to recall what was said is now so intermingled with what I have read, learned and studied that any particular mention of specifics would probably be a lie.

So I bought a copy of this book and dropped it upon my tbr list. Knowing full well that I would read it around this
Stephanie
May 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
As the last minutes of Anne Boleyn's life draw to a close, the decisions that she made and the actions of those around the doomed Queen come together to fulfill a prophecy told in the stars. From Lady Bliant, the woman who drew up the star chart for the best day for Anne's life to be taken, to King Henry who once loved her, to the year-old Daughter that she left behind and Queen Anne herself, all of the players in Anne's life examine how they have come to the the point where Anne's star will fav ...more
Normandie Alleman
Jul 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I expected Phoenix Rising to be another Tudor story of Anne Boleyn and Henry VIII, much like Phillipa Gregory and so many other versions of the story. When I first read Phoenix Rising, my initial reaction was...it is too short, but then I realized the story is based on Anne Boleyn's last hour, not an entire day. There was something about it that made me re-read it a few days later. After reading the story for the second time, I believe I understand what Ms. Jones has done. By using an complicat ...more
Kim
May 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
Phoenix Rising is the story of the last hour of Anne Boleyn's life, it is told from the viewpoint of different individuals, we hear from Anne herself, Henry, Jane Seymour, Thomas Cromwell, Elizabeth Boleyn, Cranmer, and the executioner from Calais.
This was a heartbreaking and compelling book. I loved how the author portrayed Jane Seymour, for once she wasn't some shy, kind, timid woman, she was, well, all I'll say is she was not a nice person. I also enjoyed getting more insight into Henry whil
Josephine (Jo)
Aug 06, 2015 rated it liked it
An interesting read, I have not give the book as many stars as many of the other reviewers because I didn't think it was marvellous. Some of the reviews seem to say that this is all fact, although some of the letters and the paperwork showing bills to be paid after Anne's death were certainly real, it is a work of fiction and the surrounding story is, although entertaining not actual fact. I have to admit that I found a couple of the comments in the book a bit irritating, as they were in one cas ...more
Julie
Jun 23, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Told from multiple perspectives primarily on the day of Anne Boleyn’s death, this novella captures the various views of a queen’s demise. Anne herself has a vague hope that Henry will rescue her from the scaffold and has only gone this far to teach her a lesson. Henry is already besotted with Jane Seymour, though he admits he would rather see Anne dead that with another man. There’s Cromwell and his sense of duty, Jane’s pride, Cranmer and his regret, Lady Boleyn’s sorrow. It is an interesting p ...more
Kaye
Oct 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I am a fan of the Tudor stories, and seeing that this is a book about Anne Boleyn I hust had to read it. I was expecting the usual story about Queen Anne and King Henry, but this is so different!

This book gives us a glimpse of Anne, in her final hours, as she faces her death, how she was so proud to ask her King to save her, and how much faith she had on her King that until the last moment she was hoping that he will save her.

We are also shown King Henry's and Lady Jane's perspective on Queen An
Maria
Dec 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing

I love historical fiction! Anne Boleyn is a compelling character. While we may never really know what Anne Boleyn’s thoughts and feelings were towards the end of her life, I feel that Jones did a phenomenal job in telling her story. It was also very powerful to read the thoughts and actions of Henry VIII and other historical characters that loved and loathed Anne Boleyn. Phoenix Rising is historical fiction, but Jones brilliant storytelling made me live their lives. I now have a deeper appreciat
Lauren
May 13, 2016 rated it liked it
This was a really quick read about the end of Anne Boleyn. While most of the main facts were real, the author added her own twists to keep the reader entertained. I wished this story went into more detail about Anne's life, not just the last few days. I felt like we joined the story in the end and missed the beginning and middle, the true meat of the story. I am not a big historian but the but we all have heard about the King who longs for a male heir and will do anything to get him. I think if ...more
Estelle
May 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Well, I kept hearing my friends sing this books praises so I was actually hesitant to pick up a copy. A friend offered her kindle with her copy for me to read and I jumped on it.
Who would not?
And am I glad I did. You go from loving Anne to hating her as you jump from one voice to another and in all it gives you the result of a woman, a mother murdered for her passion. Not a Queen being executed for not giving the king a son.
Yes I loved it.
Reg Shell
Jun 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Historical fiction, great story

Phoenix Rising: A Novel of Anne Boleyn, is a work of historical fiction by Hunter S. Jones.
You will be pulled into the dramatic events as depicted in this novel. This is skilled historical fiction blending of what is known history and creative writing.
This is a well-written version of the last hours of Anne Boleyn, and I would recommend the reading of it.

Julia Finnegan
Oct 03, 2015 rated it liked it
Light read and a new angle

I have never read anything that put Jane Seymour in a negative light. She has always been portrayed as a pawn or naive at the least. This story shows us a vengeful and willing participate in the scheme to bring down Queen Anne. While most of the story is repetitive in the telling from all views points it was still a nice easy read.
James
Jun 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
She has an imagination.
Bloom
Mar 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Perhaps, Henry VIII did not think this woman, Anne Boleyn, would ever become a part of History. He was so mistaken. In "Phoenix Rising: A Novel of Anne Boleyn," by Hunter S. Jones, she is presented as an unforgettable woman. She is one of those women who is dignified under pressure. Although she faces a horrendous death by an axman, she remembers her God, her friends and loved ones and she remembers her King. She blesses his name. She does not curse it.

Hunter S. Jones writing is detailed. There
Brooklyn Tayla
Dec 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was initially going to give this four stars based on its length, but then I realised, after I finished it, that it left me speechless! This book was impeccable! Do not be swayed by the length, it was such an emotional read! I mean, it chronicles the final hour of Anne Boleyn, and the way the author captured this, and the fact that she wrote it from different perspectives of player’s in Tudor England? Genius! Definitely a pleasant surprise and a raw read! Will stay with me for some time! I love ...more
Joyce
May 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I've read my fair share of stories about King Henry VIII and thought I had a fairly well developed opinion of the man. As a king I considered him to be a bully that people had to step carefully around. As a man, well, I suppose it's safe to say Henry VIII was a (royal) man of his time.

Hunter Jones presents a different facet to the story of King Henry and Anne Boleyn - one of two people deeply in love that were caught in the machinations of others. The story of the last hour of Anne's life is on
Brenda Perlin
May 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
"Surely our love is beyond misunderstandings and whispered innuendo."

Phoenix Rising by Hunter S. Jones is historical fiction but in the most enjoyable, unique way. I love how the author has fun with her stories and gives her characters such unexpected quirks. She has a way of making what could be a rather dry story into something fresh, contemporary and spellbinding.

This tale contemplates the last hour of Anne Boleyn and the rise of Lady Jane Seymour as predicted by an astrologer to the King of
TAS
Dec 10, 2016 rated it it was ok
Interesting premise, marginal execution (no pun intended)

The promise of this novel is that the reader will learn the details in the final hour of Queen Anne Boleyn's life. And so each chapter tells a bit about that hour from different perspectives - Thomas Cranmer, Thomas Crowell, Jane Seymour, Anne herself, King Henry VIII, and even the executioner. Interesting idea, right?

But it turns out reading the author's conjecture on what each person might be thinking is mostly bland with a couple except
Evie
May 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Reading like a diary from several points of view, this recounts the last days of Queen Anne Boleyn to the rise of Jane Seymour - who doesn't even believe women should know how to read/write. Since the dawn of time, and even sadly in 2016, strong women are spurned for weak and submissive girls. From the fictitious story of Adam, Eve, and Lilith (adam's first wife) the non-submissive woman is punished and even killed for the dumb girl who merely flutters her eyelashes at the powerful male.

Just be
Linda Merryman
Jun 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Hurrah for Ms. Jones!
As a long-time Boleyn fanatic (and possible distant cousin) I consider myself well-versed on Anne's life and death. In Phoenix Rising, Ms. Jones uses the unique and intriguing format of an astrological star map to re-tell the last days of the famous Queen and her successor, Jane Seymour.

The characterization is authentic, the scenes well-plotted out and the pace keeps the reader hooked -- even those of us who know the story.

The only suggestion I have is near the end the POV c

• Anne of Cleves: Henry's Luckiest Wife
  • The Temptation of Elizabeth Tudor: Elizabeth I, Thomas Seymour, and the Making of a Virgin Queen
  • The Semper Sonnet
  • Immortal Queen: A Novel Of Mary, Queen of Scots
  • The Boleyn Bride
  • George Boleyn: Tudor Poet, Courtier and Diplomat
  • Blood Will Tell: A Medical Explanation of the Tyranny of Henry VIII
  • The Queen's Captive (Thornleigh, #3)
  • The Sultan, the Vampyr and the Soothsayer
  • Prisoner of the Queen (Tales From the Tudor Court #2)
  • Roses Have Thorns: A Novel of Elizabeth I (Ladies in Waiting, #3)
  • Faithful Traitor: The story of Margaret Pole
  • The King's Mother: Book Three of The Beaufort Chronicle (The Beaufort Chronicles 3)
  • Rock Star Redemption (Radical Rock Stars, #4)
  • Katherine Howard: The Tragic Story of Henry VIII's Fifth Queen
  • The Raven's Widow
  • The Raven's Heart: A Story of a Quest, a Castle and Mary Queen of Scots
  • The First Horseman (Thomas Treviot, #1)
HUNTER S. JONES is passionate about the history of romance, science and music, a.k.a. sex, drugs and rock & roll. She is a historian presenter for Past Preservers Casting. When she isn’t writing, talking or tweeting about kings, queens and rock stars, she’s living the dream in Atlanta, Georgia with her Scottish born husband.

“The butterfly continues to sit on my hand, its tiny feet tickling my skin. I raise my hand in order to examine this most beautiful yet frail of God’s creatures. The butterfly is unafraid of me, yet I might quash its life force at any moment. That is the beauty of the butterfly. It rises from the most humble of beginnings, only to awaken one summer day and find that it has become most beautiful, most happy, in its transformation. Yet, the life of the creature that becomes a butterfly is short, most short indeed. It is only in its beauty for a very short time. The butterfly graces us with its beauty, such is its magic. Then, in a short time, that loveliness is removed from our presence.” 0 likes
“sudden breeze catches its wings and, suddenly, the butterfly is gone. Its journey will continue as it is carried upward toward the heavens.” 0 likes