Start by marking “Inside Out: The Junior Novelization (Disney/Pixar Inside Out)” as Want to Read:
Inside Out: The Junior Novelization (Disney/Pixar Inside Out)

Inside Out: The Junior Novelization (Disney/Pixar Inside Out)

Disney•Pixar’s Inside Out will take you to a place that everyone knows but no one has ever seen: inside the mind of an eleven-year-old! Once there, you'll meet the five Emotions that know Riley best: Joy, Sadness, Anger, Fear, and Disgust! Also features eight pages of full-color scenes from the movie.
Published May 5th 2015 by Disney Press

To ask other readers questions about Inside Out, please sign up.
Recent Questions
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Start your review of Inside Out: The Junior Novelization (Disney/Pixar Inside Out)
Cassidy Gilbride
This book was cute. It was just a novelization of the new movie.
Anne Jordan-Baker
Aug 13, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun, fun, fun. I especially enjoyed the Imaginary Boyfriend from Canada. Oh, and of course the Imaginary Boyfriend Generator.
James
Nov 16, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good cute story, but not as good as watching the movie... something is lost here.
Angela Watts
Jan 21, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: terrible-books
I read this little book aloud to my brother! I was set on disliking the whole idea of the movie, finding the range limit of the 'Emotions' frustrating. I mean, firstly, human beings have WAY more than these 5 emotions! GAH. The only emotions that are present as characters in this book is Joy, Anger, Sadness, Fear, and Disgust. For me, it was a immediate write off of interest. I dislike the idea of dumbing emotions down like that. Kids especially feel way more than these 5 things.
Regardless of
Bibi
Jul 05, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Saw the movie - loved it. Out of curiosity, I read this tiny novel. Must say the movie captured every aspects of this tiny book. In some ways, it reminds me of the well-written classic: The Phantom Toll Booth.

I liked how the emotions were personified and how personalities, friendships, long term memory, memory dump, train of thought, abstract thought, deconstruct etc. were creatively portrayed.

My favourite character is Sadness. I do love Amy Poehler's voice over on Joy.

Both the young 'uns and t
Holly Foley (Procida)
Aug 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
A really great way to introduce kids to metacognition. Also a great way to discuss emotions and motives in characters. The book was sadder than I expected , but maybe only to someone who has watched their own kids struggle with adolescents. Reminds me as I head back to the 6th grade classroom that there is an awful lot going through the minds of 11 year olds all the time ! I loved the Anger character in the story.
Jeevan
Jul 15, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great concept and simple story telling makes this book great. Looking forward to watch this movie
Lindsay Schiltz
Jan 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This matched the movie

This match the movie pretty good. I read this every night to my four year old and my two year old before going to sleep. They like to listening and keeping up with it and then we were able to watch the movie after and it follows the movie perfectly. I can see this being an easier read for a middle schooler.
Joseph Caldwell
Planning on the movie being better. It is the junior novelization after all. I seriously doubt this will be PIXAR's first flop.

This was Petra's bedtime story for the week. My vote was 3 stars, her vote was 5, we compromised at 4.
Michelle Rudy
Feb 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is amazing,strait to the point,stellar and honestly worth a five star review! :)

This book is just, well,stellar,I'd gotta say,and from experience I k ow taht at least I can relate to this book,and from reading it,anyone else can to,and I just love the detail and concept of it,it's a simple easy to understand book,and francaly, it's a book that just gets you I think,and when you read the book,it's like your right there,for me,this was the only book I could relate to,or was super duper i
Kate
Jan 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It is basically a more detailed version of the movie, but for some odd reason I hated the movie and loved the book. I thought the movie was a little creepy, so I guess after I read the book I realized what actually was happening and it didn't seem that bad anymore.
Blake Williams
Oct 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a very accurate representation of the movie. However, I felt it missed the mark a little bit on the humor aspect, and I’d rather just watch the movie. I do think, though, that having Inside Out as a junior novel is a good way to get kids to read!
Are Casillas
May 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great and fun more then normal

Inside out
Great and fun
Different and full of happiness
Loving caring and lots of crazy people
Lots if imagination used
Angie
Apr 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book shows how emotion is very powerful when you don't pay attention to it and just let it take advantage of you instead of the other way around.
Lindsey Foy
Sep 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
AMAZING

This book was so good. I loved it because it tells the story of the movie so well. Great job, author!👍
Jess
Idea land....
Emily
Aug 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chapter-books
Read this with my son, and we both loved it! Followed the movie pretty accurately even down to specific phrases. He liked that it matched so well. Very well written. Would definitely recommend it!
Amanda
When Riley was born an emotion named Joy came into existence inside her mind. Joy was responsible for making Riley happy and creating golden memories. Then Sadness came along..33 seconds later. She makes Riley feel sad as you probably guessed. Later new emotions joined headquarters, there was Fear whose job it was to protect Riley from anything dangerous. There was Anger who was very passionate about the injustices of life. Disgust kept Riley from being poisoned, both emotionally and socially. I ...more
Got My Book
I was very excited when I finally noticed these books. The idea of my favorite Disney/Pixar movies as audiobooks made me happy. So when I saw a review copy of this book available, I snatched it up. Unfortunately, this book just didn’t work that well for me. I don’t think that it is the general concept, but this particular one that was the problem. (I will be checking several others out from my library to see if there are others that I like better.)

I think that part of the problem is that this pa
Carina Duran
Feb 04, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
this book is about the real inside out movie and its cool because some parts aren't/some of the parts in the movie weren't in the book like the part where joy and bing bong fall in to memory dump i don't think they put it or when joy and sadness are talking to each other before they go to long term memory . one part in the book hat was cool was in the middle it had pictures from the actually movie some looked weird in freeze motion . one part it did have that was in the movie is when bing bong , ...more
Kloe
Nov 08, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
2 stars actually .Shouldn't have bought this book. Terrible writing and misleading the fact that the movie was going to be boring . I give one more star is because I love the movie so much so I take this books as a memento .
May 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, movie-tv
I loved it and the movie! :-)
Lucas
Jul 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Just like the movie!!!

Love it so cool!!! And it has a little more detail too, I like that.
Jen
Have I mentioned that Emily LOVES the junior novelizations of Disney animated movies? Because she totally does. TOTALLY does.
Fartmaster
Dec 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I liked the book a lot it is a good book for 7-11 year olds.If you liked the movie you will really like this
Tanu
Jan 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nathan-s-books
This was better than the movie!
Sherly
Feb 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sg-2016-books
This book is really fun. Read it among my after-meal-times.
Understanding a human feelings based on the reactions of every little thing happens in life.

• Frozen: The Junior Novelization
  • Disney Frozen: Phantoms of Arendelle
  • Ariel The Birthday Surprise (Disney Princess)
  • Disney Frozen: Frozen Fever (Junior Novelization)
  • Big Hero Six: The Junior Novelization
  • Disney Liv and Maddie: Sisters Forever (Disney Junior Novel)
  • Incredibles, The
  • New Nanny (Jessie Junior Novel)
  • Driven by Emotions (Disney/Pixar Inside Out)
  • The Amazing World of Gumball Vol. 1
  • Frozen 2: Forest of Shadows
  • Brave: The Junior Novelization
  • Great Minds Think Alike (Big Nate)
  • Jasmine The Missing Coin (Disney Princess)
  • Big Nate: Pray for a Fire Drill
  • Lacey Walker, Nonstop Talker (Little Boost)
  • Frozen 2: The Deluxe Junior Novelization (Disney Frozen 2)
  • Beauty and the Beast Novelization