Start by marking “Stalked by Flames (Dragon's Breath, #1)” as Want to Read:
Stalked by Flames (Dragon's Breath, #1)

Stalked by Flames

(Dragon's Breath #1)

Bailey Monzac has just graduated college and is leaving town for her parents’ ranch in Texas when a massive earthquake unleashes the unthinkable on the world: fire-breathing dragons.

Chaos erupts as people flee for their lives, and Bailey survives only because she is somehow immune to the dragons’ flames. In the midst of the mayhem, Bailey is helped by a shape-shifting dra
Published July 27th 2015 (first published July 26th 2015)

Aneela ♒the_mystique_reader♒
Tough times could take a lot from you, but they couldn’t take your soul if you didn’t let them.

Main Theme
Imagine what would happen if two dimensions collide and mesh together and creatures from other dimension break into our world.
Not just any creature but fire-breathing dragons!

Anything they breathe fire on to, burns to ashes. There is no where to run and no place to hide. They hunt humans to kill. Some like to eat their flesh.

Wait! There are two types of dragons - pure dragons and shape
Hollie
I was really looking forward to reading about an apocalypse type atmosphere where dragons were the culprits. Throw in a dragon slayer, and it sounded like a solid read. While I found it was an ok read, I did have some issues with it. Here is my breakdown:

The pros:
* Creative story concept
* Offered on kindleunlimited
* The action was decent

The cons:
* I found the romance to be very lacking - I'd rate it PG at best
* It had a young adult feel to it even though the characters were supposed to be older
Charlie
4/5 Solid Stars

Wowwww. I liked this book for sure. A lot more than I thought I would that's for certain.
I downloaded this book a month or two a go and for some reason I can't fully explain why, kept putting it off reading it. Anyway, I stopped putting it off and finally got my lazy ass to read it and now I realise I should have read it sooner. Silly me.

What started off a tad slow very quickly turned into a fast paced, nitty gritty 'shit the world around me is collapsing, how am I going to surv
Lcap
Jan 22, 2017 rated it liked it
Good short read.
Abra
May 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is the first book of a new series by Susan Illene. Her other series, the Sensor series, is one of my favorites. Ms. Illene describes her books as urban fantasy with romance, which translates to the stories being fairly gritty.

Having just graduated from university in Oklahoma, Bailey stops by the school library on her way home to Texas. While she’s at the library, green dragons attack, killing tens, if not hundreds, of people. Saving two women from a green dragon, Bailey notices that unlike
Mara
Aug 28, 2015 marked it as sampled  ·  review of another edition
This is a note to myself. It's not, nor is intended as, a review. Tried the sample. I didn't finish it. The writing seemed so flat.
Kara-karina
May 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
If you liked Susan Illene's urban fantasy series, The Sensor, I guarantee you will enjoy this one. She takes an apocalyptic event of our world colliding with an another dimension, and creates a believable, creative scenario, blending dystopia and fantasy genres, magic and technology, dragons and college graduates.

Bailey just graduated from college and is getting ready to ride back to her parents ranch in Texas, when there is a huge earthquake, and suddenly dragons roam the sky attacking people.
Boundless Book Reviews
I really wanted to love this; yet it never really got going for me.  There is a bunch a word building and it’s obvious that this is going to be a multi-book story, but the first book just never seemed to have a real solid foundation, other than building the world and overall plot for the bigger story.  I never fell into the intensity of the situation, or felt how I should feel in an apocalyptic situation.  It was lackluster at best.  I kept thinking it would get better with Bailey learning how t ...more
Sep 14, 2015 rated it liked it
I found this story to be fairly interesting. I don't have much experience reading any type of story about dragons so I thought this mix of urban fantasy/magic/dystopia was the perfect introductory setting for me.

Bailey is a recent college graduate just getting ready to make the four hour drive home to Texas from Oklahoma to put her business degree to use in helping to run her family ranch. Before she actually gets on the road, large green dragons appear in the sky and begin torching people, bui
Shasha
Aug 10, 2015 rated it liked it
I thought the world building was new and interesting. It is a blending of modern, dystopian, and medieval fantasy.

There was more violence than I expected--human against human and dragon against dragon. No bedroom scenes but there was some nudity and adult themes. The descriptions of clothing seemed Nancy Drew to me and I skipped over those parts.

I will definitely read the next one.
Waffle Monarch
Aug 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
Ive only got one thing to say about this book: the US military is a powerful entity with far more deadly weapons available to them than guns and missiles. Theres just no fucking way a bunch of fire breathing lizards would be able to defeat them.
Jeanny
Aug 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Cliffhanger ending.

Interesting world building.
Melanie
Aug 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ry-2015, read-in-2015
Review posted here...
Stalked by Flames was a really good introduction to the Dragon’s Breath series.
As the blurb tells us – Bailey is headed home to Texas after graduating college when a massive earthquake hits the college town. She takes refuge in the library with her best friend who works there and plans to head out as soon as things settle. When she does take the chance she and the rest of town are confronted by fire breathing dragons! These dragons are
Rachel Scott
Her best series yet!

I really loved this new series from Susan Illene. It has a sort of post-apocalyptic feel as two worlds collide and all hell breaks lose. The main character, Bailey, is sort of your everyday average person but with a little something extra that she discovers on the way. She's not your typical balls-busting-badass and I think we'll get to watch her come into her own and grow with her, which I enjoy. Aiden, the Dragon/human, has some very interesting traits and I am really lovin
Debra
Aug 24, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
How did it get printed

The only thing I can say good about this story is the story line. The only reason I finished it is I wanted to see if it got any better. Poorly written and downright boring in so many ways. The idea of the story could be good if a decent author had taken over. I wish I could read the next in the series to see what happens but I don't want to waste my time or money.
Sara
2 stars. Review to follow on Boundless Book Reviews
Kathrine
i really liked this one =) looking forward to the next one =)
Katherine Hunter
May 11, 2017 rated it did not like it
When dragons invade earth Bailey discovers she is a dragon slayer. she can't be burned by dragon fire. The same dragon fire that turns everything, concrete, steel, asphalt, to ash. But not Bailey. Isn't Bailey special? Aiden is a dragon, a good dragon, not a bad dragon who wants to eat people. A good dragon who keeps people as slaves or, from his point of view, servants. Aiden, the good dragon, wants to train Bailey, how to be a good dragon slayer so she can kill the bad dragons.
I guess I like
Leona
Jul 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Yes, the title sounds like a Lifetime movie. But I enjoyed this urban fantasy. I don't usually like urban fantasy - it's usually an excuse for a murder mystery, plus some steamy sex. That's not this.

Things I like about this book: Yes, there's a love interest, but no action on it in this book. (Also, no love triangle - a bonus!!) The book takes place in Oklahoma, not a city. The heroine has a sidekick, who's both male and funny (and not a love interest). This book takes place in the immediate aft
Katelin Campbell
Aug 21, 2017 rated it did not like it
I really could not get into this book. I ended up with a DNF. I was really hoping to find a good dragon book but those are hard to come by.

On a positive note, the cover is pretty cool. It definitely is what drew my attention.

I received this book from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.
Amanda White
May 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So good!

The premise of this story is really quite different, but it was enjoyable to read and it kept me guessing about what would happen next. The tension between Bailey and Aiden has got me SO curious and I can't wait to read the next book and see where this story is going to go.
Jo Dawson
Jul 31, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book

I love Susan Ilene's books, I resisted this series for a bit and now I'm sorry I waited so long - but on the plus side, I get to pick up the next book in the series tonight!
Priya
Aug 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Pretty good - a relief from all the insta-love usually found in shape-shifter romances.
This is about how one should learn to control their fears in face of calamities (read: apocalypse).
Strong characters.
Elusive
It was an okay book but pretty much all of it was old material from movies and such from the 90's just remade into a present day thing. Nothing new or unique about the story.
Dixie
May 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Found a new series that I love!!
Volpot
Sep 30, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
2.5 stars. Uninspired storytelling and unbelievable world building.
Josephine
Feb 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
I liked it can't wait to see how the story progresses.
Sherrie
May 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great story

A lot of action. Wonderful characters and great plot. Looking forward to reading the next one. Thank you Ms. Illene for sharing this world.
Isaac
Nov 14, 2015 rated it liked it
One thing I do not get is why people must think that " Young Adult" genre equals "Young Adult" protagonist(s). Then they nitpick on why a book is YA when the protagonists are adults. Or how a book with adult protagonist have a YA theme to it. They are mutually exclusive. You can have both and not just one or the other.

That aside, I do feel that this book is written for "younger" adults, or YA.

There's two ways to look at this book:
1. Not much really goes on throughout the whole book. You can pro
  • Veiled Magic (Veiled Magic, #1)
  • The Dragon Conspiracy (SPI Files, #2)
  • Bloodlust (Blood Destiny #5)
  • Magic Games (Dragon Born Serafina, #2)
  • Blood Bonds (City of Dragons, #1)
  • Through Fire & Sea (Otherselves, #1)
  • I Bring the Fire Parts I, II, III, & In the Balance (A Loki Series)
  • A Dragon's Awakening (The Chronicles of Kale, #1)
  • Inhuman (World of the Lupi, #3.5)
  • The Reburialists
  • The Alpha's Daughter (The Wolvers, #3)
  • Dragon Blues
  • Black Rook (Cornerstone Run Trilogy, #1)
  • All Your Wishes (Blood Singer, #7)
  • Moonbreeze (The Dragonian, #4)
  • Immortal Coil (Dragon Spirit, #1)
  • Dragonvein (Dragonvein, #2)
Susan Illene served in the US Army for eleven years and worked as a human resources specialist and an Arabic linguist. She served two deployments to Iraq, and after leaving the army, she studied history at the University of Oklahoma. She and her husband currently live in Oklahoma with two high-maintenance cats doing their best to help her write her books.

Dragon's Breath (5 books)
  • Dancing with Flames (Dragon's Breath, #2)
  • Forged by Flames (Dragon's Breath, #3)
  • Christmas with Dragons (Dragon's Breath, #4)
  • Captured in Flames (Dragon's Breath, #5)
“I thought maybe if I flashed the dragon with my tits it would distract it long enough for the others to get away. Then I poked it in the eye with my sword. There. Does that explain it well enough for you?” 0 likes