Start by marking “The Broken Hearts Book Club” as Want to Read:
The Broken Hearts Book Club

The Broken Hearts Book Club (Luna Bay #1)

3.52  ·  Rating details ·  311 Ratings  ·  71 Reviews
Secrets never stay buried for long...

Lucy Harper has always been good at one thing: running from her past. But when her beloved Nana Lily passes away she has no choice except to return to the one place in the world she most wants to avoid...

Luna Bay hasn't changed much in the eight years she has spent in London. The little Yorkshire village is still just as beautiful, but
ebook
Published September 4th 2015 by Carina

To ask other readers questions about The Broken Hearts Book Club, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Broken Hearts Book Club

Emer
After spending money on this and to paraphrase the main character in this book; well done Emer, you absolute banana!!!

I'm in one of those moods where I just want to read fluffy cute books laden with rom-com cliches: a likeable MC, a cute guy to fall for, a quirky best friend, a little personal drama but all tied up with a nice happily ever after!

However!!!
That does not mean that I don't want a little emotional depth too.
Some characters with spunk, passion...make them memorable please.
Basical
Cora ☕ Tea Party Princess
5 Words: Family, regret, love, small-town, grief.

This was a great little read and it definitely made me smile. Perfect for cheering up on a rainy day.

All through the book I couldn't help but wonder what happened to Vicky. And although by the time I finally found out near the end I'd pretty much already guessed, I liked the way it was handled.

This story will make you smile and it will make you laugh. And it will also make you want to grab Lucy by the shoulders and give her a good shake.

I received
Kim
Oct 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015, kindle, net-galley
This was an absolutely beautiful read from start to finish- and loved the books chosen for the book club. I felt like I wanted to pop along and join in!
Lucy returns to Luna Bay after leaving around 8 years ago after an awful incident that is implied and not explained until the end of the book. Lucy feels responsible and hasn’t felt able to return until her nan leaves her a cottage in her will- with the proviso that she takes over running the book club.
It’s a book club with a difference- all the
Leah
Jun 13, 2015 rated it it was ok
I was so disappointed in this book! I really enjoyed Lynsey's debut but this one just made me sigh and wonder if the Chick Lit genre has run out of ideas. Or maybe I'm just tiring of it? Who knows. While I loved the setting of Luna Bay, I wasn't impressed with anything else. Lucy's hiding a secret, which isn't new, and it actually got to the point where I didn't necessarily care what she'd done that was so horrific, especially as i suspected it was nowhere near as horrific as it would seem.

Init
Yvonne Morgan
Jan 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed reading this book....The storyline was great and I loved the setting . The only trouble I found was that I could not get to grips with Lucy the main female character....but other than that it was a great little read.
Carlene Inspired
I made a comment on Twitter that the entire time I was reading this book I kept saying, "how cute!" It is entirely true now, a couple days after completion, that I think this book is one cute read.

Lucy has been running from her past for 8 years, avoiding her hometown of Luna Bay even during Christmas. Her Nana Lily's passing has brought her home and nothing is keeping Lucy there, not even the new handsome bar owner, Jake. However, things don't ever seem to work how Lucy plans them. Nana Lily's
Simona
Jul 10, 2015 rated it liked it
*Book provided by the publisher on NetGalley in exchange for an honest review*

This is Lynsey’s second book and I’m really happy and proud of her for that! I loved her debut novel Just The Way You Are and was really excited for her second novel.

The story follows 26-year-old Lucy Harper. She is an event organiser and lives in London. The death of her Nana brings her back home to Luna Bay. It’s hard for her to return, because of something that happened eight years ago. The mystery around that event
Rachel Gilbey
Oct 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
4.5 Stars

Another pleasurable book from Lynsey James. The Broken Hearts Book Club is easy to read, with a lovely story, about how you shouldn't give up if things don't go your way.

Lucy has a habit of running away, the phrase, "when the going gets tough, the tough gets going" could have been written for her alone. She has spent 8 years in self-imposed exile in London, after a horrific event, that she felt noone would forgive her for.

She only returns to Luna Bay when her beloved Nana Lily dies, a
Helen
Sep 30, 2015 rated it it was ok
"I had the chance to live in the house I'd loved so much growing up.....to do that, I'd have to confront everything that made me leave Luna Bay behind. I wasn't sure I was ready to do that just yet."

As ratings go for chick lit genre, this book fell a little short. I felt all of the ingredients were there, but were not mixed together correctly for a satisfying read. I love the cover of the book and the title is what drew me in. There were some positives: there is romance, great location and of c
Debbie
Oct 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
4 Stars
This was a cute make everybody feel good little romance (sex is only implied for the most part) that has its happy ending. Of course, there are a few rough patches along the way and a couple of hurdles but that just adds to the suspense of will they or won't they.

It was well written and basically pretty entertaining. I did get a little tired of hearing about what Vickie did and was finally glad to hear what had happened on that dreadful night that made Lucy such an outcast in the town. Tu
Silke
Aug 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley-reads
I was kindly given a review copy through Netgalley, with many thanks to the publisher and Jenny Marston for hosting the tour.

I completely devoured this story and absolutely loved my time in Luna Bay. Because as some of the characters so perfectly explained: this place gets under your skin and it's impossible to leave afterwards.

Lynsey's writing reminded me a little bit about another one of my fave authors out there, and I do think that says a lot about her charming way of creating this story ^^

F
Aoife
Jul 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
4.5

The only thing that knocked this is, I'd have loved if the books in the book club were all listed at the end.
Sep 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
After devouring Lynsey's debut Just The Way You Are I was so excited to start reading her second novel The Broken Hearts Book Club. The title grabbed me immediately and the cover only added to the excitement about picking this book up!

Lucy is back home in her childhood village Luna Bay for the funeral of her lovely Nana. For the past eight years she's been living in London and finds it hard to return to Luna Bay after she ran away all those years ago. She's avoided Christmases at home and for t
Karen Mace
Aug 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: e-books, netgalley
I received a copy of this via NetGalley and Carina UK in return for a fair and honest review.

After loving Lynsey James' debut novel, Just The Way You Are, i was eagerly awaiting the chance to read this and I've not been disappointed!!

It is one of those books that grabs you in the first chapter with the awkardness and funny situations - how more awkward can it be starting to sing Big Yellow Taxi at your Nana's funeral!? - and the main character Lucy Harper is so easy to relate to that you can't h
Fiona Wilson
Oct 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley, 2015-reads
I really enjoyed this book as it was a simple story, but with a few twists along the way.

The idea of a book club for people with broken hearts is a great one, as are the books which the group have read in the past. But none of the club members seem to be moving on, they seem stuck in the same place.

Along comes Lucy, back for her Nanas funeral, who discovers that one of the clauses in her Nanas will was that Lucy run the book club for at least three months. Easy enough you say? But when her past
Danniella Josephine
Full review on my blog Famous in Japan

Thank you to Carina UK, Netgalley and Neverland Blog Tours for providing a copy in exchange for review.
Fi
A very quick read, took me just under an hour. Not the worst chicklit out there but definitely read better. Some parts were either completely obvious or totally unbelievable. Not as good as her first book sadly.
MsAprilVincent
Mar 24, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2018
I didn’t really like it but I kept reading it.
Not a recommendation.
Bailey Skye
Oct 07, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: arc, 2015-reads
I received an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.

"There are worse things you an do than spontaneously burst into song at your nana's funeral."

Right from the first line of this book, the humor had me convinced that this might be right up my alley. I wanted to like it, but as I got about a third of the way through, it became hard for me to want to pick it back up again.

Our main character Lucy is not really the train wreck she'd have us believe. In fact, she's mostly just a coward.
Petra "Pippa" Q
Oct 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've read so many great things about Lynsey James's book(s) in the last few months, so naturally I was eager to find out more for myself. Lynsey debut novel ( Just The Way You are) was a great success amongst the book lovers and her second book The Broken Hearts Book Club seems to be heading in the same direction according to all the fantastic blog posts and review out there. I adore the gorgeous book cover with its lace and colour design as well as the little gem of a magical story written with ...more
Hayley
Oct 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
I love books about book clubs so I couldn’t resist the chance to read The Broken Hearts Book Club!

Lucy grew up in the idyllic Luna Bay but something happened eight years ago which caused her to run away and she has never been back. She has managed to avoid all reasons to return but when her beloved Nana dies Lucy finally returns to her childhood home for the funeral. It is her intention to make this a quick visit but when her Nana’s Will is read and Lucy finds out she has been left her gorgeous
Ely
Oct 13, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: contemporary
Review from Tea & Titles

I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Going into The Broken Hearts Book Club I was really excited. I haven’t really been reading much contemporary/cutesy things lately—my TBR has been pretty much dominated by fantasy. I was really looking forward to something lighthearted to distract me from the tough month October is for me. I lost my mum this time last year, so I really felt that this would be a good book to pick up.

From the very first line
Beth
Nov 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I adored this book!

After reading Lynsey's debut novel earlier this year, I was really excited to join the blog tour for her new book THE BROKEN HEARTS BOOK CLUB and I loved every second of this book.

Lynsey is a really fantastic writer as this book had me gripped from the very first line and I didn't stop until the book had finish, even then I didn't want it to be over!

In this book we follow Lucy, she is back home for her nana's funeral. She finds it hard to return as she hasn't been home in 8 ye
Rachael Blakey
Oct 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is the first book I have read of Lynsey's and I wasn't sure what to expect, however I am a sucker for a romantic, chick-lit read and couldn't resist picking it up. I LOVED 'The Broken Hearts Book Club'!! I read it in one sitting, on a rainy day and it was the perfect setting.

I've always loved the thought of attending a book club and the fact that this was a club with a twist, helping people deal with their own broken hearts. I fell in love with all the characters and was really rooting for
Ann Cooper
Oct 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this simple book. It is the story of facing your fears and getting out of ruts. Lucy is left her Nana's cottage in Luna Bay but in order to inherit it, she has to agree to run the Broken Hearts Book Club for 3 months.

8 years previously a dreadful accident occurred and Lucy blames herself, as does the mother of her friend, Vicky, the accident victim. Lucy doesn't want to return to face the community but has little choice.

Jake is the new landlord at the local pub and he and Lucy are att
Hemavathy DM Suppiah
Oct 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Wonderful book. I was rooting for Lucy to succeed with the club and Rose Cottage. There were so many themes here - grief, dealing with grief, regrets, moving on, holding on, fighting for what you want, and deciding when or even whether or not to give up. My only problem was Jake. He started of as a really likeable character, but I was really irritated by his wishy-washiness with making decisions towards the second half of the book. And he felt like a wuss who needed the women in his life to make ...more
Ann
Oct 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
Lucy returns to Yorkshire for her Nana's funeral, planning to return to London immediately. When the will is read and she inherits a house and leadership of the local book club she stays in town. With her past plaguing her and a new man courting her, Lucy has to decide if she can face the past for a happy future. I enjoyed this book and was happy to see Lucy face her critics and stand up for herself.
Clare
Sep 26, 2016 rated it did not like it
This is an awful read. I felt no sympathy for the main character and found the whole thing full of cliches and bad references. It was badly researched, if researched at all. Not the heartwarming tale I was expecting but an eye rolling tirade of inconsistency and badly written characters.
Sue
Jan 30, 2017 rated it liked it
Quick, fun read for a sleepless night.
Empi Baryeh
Feb 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Lucy Harper inherits a cottage from her grandmother on condition that she takes over the Broken Hearts Book Club, which is a club for members of the community who have experienced loss of various kinds.

Having spent the past eight years in London running from a tragedy that happened in Luna Bay, her first instinct is to say no and hightail it out of there. However, she has nothing to get back to in London and her heart has always been in Luna Bay. She also meets Jake, a handsome bartender, with s
  • The Saving of Benjamin Chambers (Uni Files #0.5)
  • Snowflakes on Silver Cove (White Cliff Bay #2)
  • The Little Wedding Shop by the Sea (The Little Wedding Shop by the Sea, #1)
  • Silencing Sapphire (Stalking Sapphire, #2)
  • Mistletoe Mansion
  • A Christmas to Remember
  • The Second Time I Saw You  (Oxford Blue, #2)
  • Sealed with a Christmas Kiss
  • Closing In
  • The Grand Reopening of Dandelion Café (Cherry Pie Island, #1)
  • Salvation (Nashville Nights, #2)
  • Casting Off (The Canal Boat Café, #2)
  • Match Me If you Can
  • Sex, Lies, and Cruising
  • Saxon's Bane
  • White Christmas (Wickham Hall, #4)
  • Never Kiss a Man in a Christmas Jumper
  • The Little Antique Shop under the Eiffel Tower (The Little Paris Collection, #2)
Lynsey James was born in Fife in 1991 and has been telling people how to spell her name ever since. She's an incurable bookworm who loves nothing more than getting lost in a good story with memorable characters. She started writing when she was really young and credits her lovely Grandad- and possibly a bump on the head from a Mr Frosty machine- with her love of telling stories. She used to write ...more
More about Lynsey James

Luna Bay (3 books)
  • The Sunflower Cottage Breakfast Club (Luna Bay, Book 2)
  • The Silver Bells Christmas Pantomime (Luna Bay, #3)

Fiction Deals

$7.49 $1.99
  • The Traveler's Gift: Seven Decisions that Determine Personal Success
  • The Little Giant of Aberdeen County
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Her Sister's Shoes (Sweeney Sisters #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • A Thousand Tomorrows (Cody Gunner, #1)
  • Shoeless Joe
  • Death in Venice
  • Blonde
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Ever After (Lost Love, #2)
  • Rescue
  • The Lords of Discipline
  • The Sheltering Sky
  • Gena/Finn
    $14.99 $3.99
  • Remember Tuesday Morning (9/11, #3)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Scavenger's Daughters (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters #1)
  • Under the Udala Trees
  • The Streets Have No King
  • The Passion
    $11.00 $1.99
  • The Language of Hoofbeats
  • Not Perfect: A Novel
  • The Beach Street Knitting Society and Yarn Club
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Seekers (Kent Family Chronicles, #3)
  • Don Quixote
  • The Golden Notebook
  • Life of Christ
  • The Good Mother
    $5.74 $1.99
  • The Palest Ink (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters Prequel)
  • Go: A Coming of Age Novel
  • The Child in Time
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Lowcountry Stranger (Sweeney Sisters Series Book 2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Man in 3B
  • Save Me
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Better Nate Than Ever (Better Nate Than Ever #1)
  • Time Bomb
  • Heat and Light: A Novel
  • Reunion
  • Stay Up With Me
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Love Affairs of Nathaniel P.
    $9.99 $3.99
  • You Know Me Well
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Skeletons at the Feast
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Even Now (Lost Love, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sackett's Land: The Sacketts (Sacketts, #1)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • This Bright Beauty
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Intervention (An Intervention Novel)
  • Star Sand
  • All the Summer Girls
    $8.74 $1.99
  • The Girl From the Train
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Bitter Winds (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters, #3)
  • If I Loved You, I Would Tell You This
    $14.99 $1.99
  • The Grass Is Singing
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Misremembered Man (Tailorstown #1)
  • The Odyssey
  • Post Office
    $11.24 $1.99
  • For Every Season: Book Three in the Amish Vines and Orchards Series
    $11.99 $2.99
  • One Night in Winter: A Novel (P.S.)
  • Those Who Save Us
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Tangled Vines (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters Book 2)
  • The Lake House
  • I Funny: A Middle School Story
  • The Tin Horse
  • The King Must Die: A Novel
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Red Skies (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters Book 4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Ultimate Betrayal (A Reverend Curtis Black Novel Book 12)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Distant Echoes, Black Sands, Dangerous Depths, Midnight Sea, and Holy Night (Aloha Reef #1-4)
    $7.99 $3.99
  • Between Sundays
  • Worthy
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Queen of This Realm (Queens of England, #2)
    $11.99 $11.99
“My handling of the situation with Jake proved that I was the same girl from eight years ago. I'd just gained a stone and lost my love for Shayne Ward.” 3 likes