Start by marking “Crushing It” as Want to Read:
Crushing It

Crushing It

Kat is already so over seventh grade. It doesn't help that her best friend and cousin, Olivia, grew a foot over the summer and won a spot on the school’s dance team, shooting her up on the popularity scale. In the jungle that is middle school, Olivia is a gazelle. Braces-wearing, manga-loving, uncoordinated Kat is a warthog.

Plus, Tyler, Kat’s next-door neighbor and buddy s
Published January 10th 2017 by Aladdin/MIX

To ask other readers questions about Crushing It, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Crushing It

Start your review of Crushing It
Jennifer Nielsen
Jan 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Joanne Levy's writing always puts a smile on my face, and CRUSHING IT is some of her best writing to date. This is the kind of book to pick up on a day when you just want something fun to read, when you want to remember what it was like during those awkward years, or when you want to smile. I can't wait to see what Levy writes next.
Joanne
May 27, 2015 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Well, technically I haven't read it since I'm still writing it, but that wasn't an option. :)

Christina (A Reader of Fictions)

Crushing It takes Cyrano de Bergerac to the middle grade set. Levy cleverly retells the tale, and it’s pretty dang cute.

In case you can’t tell from this here blog, I read a lot. One result of that is that I’ve read a whole lot of variations of Cyrano, so for me this wasn’t the most original tale, and it’s not my favorite ship set up either. That said, I’m impressed with what Levy did with it.

The tale actually lends itself much better to the middle school age than to adults imo. Setting
May 23, 2019 rated it liked it
I don't remember why I put this on hold at the library, but it was very cute and I'm glad I read it. :)
Brandy Painter
This is a fun, lighthearted romantic MG read. Yes. Romantic. MG readers often want those too and this is perfect for the age range. It is a retelling of Cyrano de Bergerac, which the audience isn't going to know or care about, but I think it makes sense to retell this story in the context of middle school. Any one older should know better. My one big complaint with the book was how flat a character Olivia is. She is built on stereotypes and never goes much deeper than that. I really loved the dy ...more
Ms. Yingling
Nov 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
E ARC from Edelweiss Above the Treeline

Kat has a cousin and best friend, Olivia, who has gotten tall and pretty in middle school. In comparison, Kat feels like a "warthog" with her glasses and braces, so when Olivia decides she "like likes" Kat's long time friend and neighbor, Tyler, Kat agrees to help fix the two up. This is difficult, since Olivia doesn't care about any of Tyler's interests (books, video games)-- she just thinks he's cute. Kat tries to tell Olivia all of Tyler's favorites, thr
Jen Petro-Roy
Apr 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016, ebook, arc, middle-grade
Super adorable. A fantastic middle grade voice.
Valerie McEnroe
Nov 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Kid rating: 5 stars
Adult rating: 3 stars

Cute book about first romance. Kat and her cousin, Olivia, are best friends despite having little in common. Olivia is tall, beautiful, graceful and popular. Kat is plain (so she thinks), nerdy, artistic, and smart. Tyler has been Kat's best friend forever. Over the summer he turned good-looking and Kat is suddenly seeing her longtime friend in a different way. Olivia notices too and would like nothing more than to attend the fall dance with Tyler. Like Ka
Nancy
Aug 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The end of the book moved me the most, that Tyler didn't care how she looked. What really matters to him was their common interests and how they could understand each others choices.
Not many people can look past the looks(not even me). Kat is lucky to know someone who cares about the mind of people than the appearences as Tyler is.
And the process of Kat helping Olivia with her crush showed that she was brave enough to hold back her feelings for someone she really cared about. The problem of many
Cee
Aug 30, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: canlit-pub-2017
Crushing It is a Cyrano de Bergerac inspired modern day novel about Kat who is asked by her cousin Olivia to help get Tyler to ask her to the Fall Ball. Problem is, Tyler is her next door neighbour, her best friend and has absolutely nothing in common with Olivia. The storyline is fairly predictable but entertaining in the way that Kat goes about trying to hook up her two best friends while at the same time ignoring her own feelings. Kids will enjoy the contemporary language with texts and note- ...more
Jodi Fischer
Sep 20, 2019 rated it liked it
A good read for middle school aged students or upper elementary. A fair recreation of Cyrano, but lacked the same impact. Thought the turnaround at the end was a bit cheap, but again it is a middle school read.
Stacey Raymond
This is a feel good juvenile story. It was a plot that has been done over and over, but it was still ok. Nothing special, but I would say I liked it. It is probably more of a 2.5, but I'll give it 3 stars.
Melissa McGuire
Im well aware this book was for a younger audience and I usually love these kind of books. But throughout the book Olivia infuriated me. I was all about her and she didn't care about anyone else.
Jdboerding
Jun 21, 2018 rated it liked it
Good book for the Middle School age range.
Christina Boulard
Jan 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Such a fun little book! A great way to help kids understand that they're amazing just the way they are. ❤️
Grace Morton
Jul 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed reading this book!
Karen
Mar 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A fun and funny middle-school version of Cyrano de Bergerac.
Stephanie Faris
Dec 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
In Crushing It, we meet a 12-year-old girl dealing with new feelings about her male neighbor. Kat and Tyler have been friends for their entire lives, yet over the summer Tyler blossomed into a hottie. Her BFF has also undergone a summertime transformation and, worst of all, her BFF now has a crush on him. The story follows the basic Cyrano de Bergerac theme, but the fact that Kat has had existing relationships with the couple she's helping makes it even more complex. Anyone who has ever felt "le ...more
Barbra
Dec 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
I love the books in The Aladdin Mix series. They are mature reads without the worry. Look for the colorful stripes down the outer edge of the paperback. The characters are best friends unique in every way, facing the world of school, dating, and social media. This book is about Kat helping her best cousin get together with the boy she really wants to be with. These novels are perfect for reluctant readers, and will appeal to girls ages’ nine to fourteen.
Kate Blair
Jan 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Charming, witty and bubbling with fun. Love Levy's humour, which drives this wonderful middle-school take on Cyrano de Bergerac
Micki
Dec 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: middle-grade, arc
A sweet, fun read. I loved Kat's voice and watching her sort things out for herself.
Jenn
Nov 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Quick, fun read. Passes it on to my 7th grade daughter. Clean and appropriate for her age.
Isabella Tessier
Kelly
May 29, 2017
Apr 13, 2019
« previous 1 3 next »

• Middle School: The Worst Years of My Life (Midde School, #1)
  • Spy School British Invasion (Spy School #7)
  • Best. Night. Ever.: A Story Told from Seven Points of View
  • 25 Roses
  • Grounded: The Adventures of Rapunzel (Tyme #1)
  • Goodbye Stranger
  • Girl v. Boy
  • P.S. I Like You
  • 11 Birthdays (Willow Falls, #1)
  • Taking Down Evelyn Tait
  • 13 Treasures (Thirteen Treasures, #1)
  • The Miscalculations of Lightning Girl
  • Switched (Fairy Tale Reform School #4)
  • Operation Pucker Up
  • Better off Friends
  • The Only Thing Worse Than Me Is You
  • The Great Greene Heist (The Great Greene Heist, #1)
  • My Fairly Dangerous Godmother (My Fair Godmother, #3)
Joanne Levy’s love of books began at a very early age. Being the youngest and the only female among four children, and the daughter to voracious readers, she was often left to her own devices and could frequently be found sitting in a quiet corner with her nose in a book.

A survivor of the corporate world, Joanne now works from home, supporting other authors and creating the friends she wishes she

News & Interviews