Jump to ratings and reviews

Coco and Dean: Explorers of the World

Journey with Coco and Dean as they discover some easy steps to take to help ensure that our world stays beautiful and healthy for future generations. In this fun filled text, expert Emily Scofield deftly addresses and explains complex topics like 'carbon footprints' and 'renewable resources'. Children everywhere will find this an enjoyable and eye opening read!

36 pages, Paperback

First published April 30, 2015

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Emily Scofield

1 book1 follower
An accomplished leader and educator, Emily Scofield focuses her career on environmental protection. She is currently the Executive Director of the U.S. Green Building Council – North Carolina Chapter and runs a consulting business, ESH Consulting, LLC. Drawing on more than 14 years of experience in environmental initiatives, she regularly communicates with politicians, civic leaders, corporate executives, interested citizens and students to promote sustainable communities. Emily educates on sustainability through various speaking engagements and in articles featured in numerous publications. ‘CoCo and Dean: Explorers of the World’ is the first in a series of adventure tales to elevate children’s environmental awareness.
Emily has been recognized in the Charlotte Business Journal’s 2012 40 Under 40 list recognizing business and civic leaders in the city under the age of 40. Additionally, the Hornets’ Nest Girl Scout Council honored Emily with a 2012 Women of Distinction Award for Environmental Leadership. More recently, Emily has been honored with The University of Georgia’s 40 Under 40 list recognizing accomplished alumni who represent the three pillars of UGA and in 2014 was named one of Charlotte’s Top Women in Business.

Emily earned a Bachelors of Arts degree in Biology from Queens University of Charlotte and then earned a Master of Science in Environmental Health Science from the University of Georgia. Emily’s family includes husband, Tom and children, Chloe and Dean. She is an active member of her church and community volunteer.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
0 (0%)
1 star
0 (0%)
Displaying 1 - 2 of 2 reviews
Profile Image for Summer.
1 review
September 1, 2015
Coco & Dean Explorers of the World takes young readers on three amazing adventures, from your own backyard to exotic destinations. While the characters discover the world around them, they also learn to be aware of environmental issues. Think Like a Cardinal teaches children to be aware of their carbon footprint. "Take only what we need and use what we take..." Conquering Rabbit Hill sheds light on the topic of trash and encourages us all to reduce, reuse and recycle. In Vacation Vortex the characters discover the effects of pollution in our oceans. The Explore with Coco & Dean section at the end of each story provides helpful resources for kids (and adults) to learn more about the environmental topics discussed and to take action. Coco & Dean is a well-crafted and thought provoking read for the next generation of environmentalists!
2 reviews
November 24, 2015
CoCo and Dean is the perfect book for parents who want to teach their children about taking care of the environment and whose kids love to read.
CoCo and Dean: Explores of the World is a great book. It is like getting three books in one. The stories included in this book are: Think Like a Cardinal, Conquering Rabbit Hill, and Vacation Vortex. In each of these stories CoCo and Dean have an adventure in which they learn more about the environment and how they can take better care of it.
I enjoyed each of the three stories. My favorite was Think Like a Cardinal. I liked how CoCo and Dean learned about their impact on the environment. One thing that made me laugh was the play on words about your environmental footprint and CoCo’s footprint. I’m not sure that most children would have got it, but it definitely made the book more enjoyable for me as an adult. Conquering Rabbit Hill was also very informative. Many people do not know where their trash goes after the garbage man picks it up. Vacation Vortex was very enlightening and interesting, as well. It teaches children about garbage in the oceans, which is something I did not learn about until I was an adult.
I think that CoCo and Dean is a book that is geared towards children 8 and up. The words are easy enough to understand and the words that are a little harder are either defined in the text or in the back of the book. A 3rd grader could easily read it by themselves. That being said, younger children would enjoy having it read to them as well. The writing style in CoCo and Dean reminds me of the stories from the Highlight’s magazine. It is informative, educational, interesting, and fun. The pictures are also engaging too.
This book combines a fun story with facts to help children learn more about the world around them and how to take care of it. I am sure that my son will enjoy reading this book with me when he is older. As a family, we try to make our footprint on the environment smaller by recycling and using solar panels. The stories in CoCo and Dean support our efforts.
CoCo and Dean: Explores of the World is the first in a series of books by Emily Scofield and I look forward to reading the next books.
Displaying 1 - 2 of 2 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.