Start by marking “Where the Memories Lie” as Want to Read:
Where the Memories Lie

Where the Memories Lie

Chilling family secrets, obsession and decades-old lies. How well do we really know the ones we love? A gripping psychological thriller from the #1 bestselling author of Look Behind You.

Twenty-five years ago Katie ran away from home and never came back. But now she’s suddenly reappeared in her best friend Olivia’s life—in the form of a chilling confession. Olivia’s fa
Published September 22nd 2015 by Thomas & Mercer

To ask other readers questions about Where the Memories Lie, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Where the Memories Lie

Start your review of Where the Memories Lie
Sue
I really enjoyed reading Best seller “Look Behind You” and “Trafficked: The Diary of a Sex Slave“. Then when I heard about British Author Sibel Hodge’s new mystery/thriller, “Where The Memories Lie” I knew I had to read it. Sibel Hodge is a very talented writer that writes from a mix of genres, including romance, mystery and thrillers and young adult.

“When the memories lie, sometimes it’s best to let the truth stay hidden.”

This is the story about a man who takes his secre
sue

Sibel Hodge can really weave a believable story. I know we reviewers say a lot of Cliches but this really is a "cannot put down" book. It really gets under your skin and keeps your attention. The trouble was, each time I thought 'another chapter then bed' I got to the end and was saying this until dawn broke and I was so tired the next day. How can you get up and leave a film that your'e watching part way through?
Well, it was the same for this.

When someone suffers from Alzheime
Jan
Aug 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley, mystery
I didn't feel this played out as a 'gripping psychological thriller' as its marketed to be, but more as a compelling mystery/whodunit revolving around a tight knit family that has the rug pulled out from underneath them in the least suspecting way.
Tom, aging father of 3, has Alzheimer's and is in a nursing home. During a visit with his daughter-in-law Olivia, he blurts out 'I killed her. I had to do it to protect my family'. With these words the story unfolds, taking you on
Diane S ☔
Aug 30, 2015 rated it liked it
3.5 Tom was an honorable man, a man who always put his family first, a man who would do anything for his family, a man who now suffers from Alzheimer disease and lives in a nursing home. He is now saying that he murdered a young woman, many years ago, but how seriously should he be taken?

A solid story about a decades old tragedy, many secrets and a family in crisis. When Jenny left all those years ago it was presumed, aided by the note she left, that she had run away. But how far did she get?

T
Elaine
Sep 16, 2015 rated it liked it
I really enjoyed Look Behind You and so was really looking forward to getting stuck into Where the Memories Lie, the author’s latest psychological drama. The description hooked me. Tom, an old man suffering from Alzheimers Disease “confesses” to his daughter in law Olivia that he murdered her best friend Katie who suddenly disappeared 25 years ago, with everyone believing she had run away from home. Anyone who has ever known someone suffering from the condition will know that in amongst all the ...more
Michelle
Olivia Tate's father-in-law has advanced dementia. He gets confused alot and will oftentimes get agitated as different scenarios spark unpleasant memories. So when Tom starts talking about being haunted by the ghost of Georgia, a woman he says he killed, his nurses and family believe he must have saw something on the news that triggered his nightmares. But after his repeated murmurs to Olivia she decides to check things out. Turns out Georgia is alive and well. But then he claims it was not Geor ...more
Jules
Where the Memories Lie was a thrilling murder mystery that kept me guessing right until the end. I absolutely loved this story and the characters, and haven’t wanted to stop listening to it over the last couple of days. I’m feeling a little lost now that I’ve finished it. Needless to say, I highly recommend this book.

I listened to this in audiobook format through Amazon Kindle Unlimited.
Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice*
Sibel Hodge's Where The memories Lie is an enthralling look at the impact of personal disaster upon relationships. What does it take to break the trust between a married couple, the trust in a family unit, and once broken, can that trust be repaired?

'I used to think that everything was black and white. Crimes should be punished. People shouldn't tell lies. Not big ones anyway. Not important I've-just-killed-someone-lies. But then I'd never been in this situation before.'

Tom is the patri/>'I
November Is Nyarlathotep The Haunted Reading Room
REVIEW: WHERE MEMORIES LIE by Sibel Hodge

An engrossing, can't put it down, mystery, WHERE MEMORIES LIE deals as much with human emotions as it does with its actual, very tangled mystery. It also paints a compelling portrait of an Alzheimer's sufferer, and the pain for both patient and loved ones. It's a terrible thing to see memory shrivel and fade, as the adult children, in-laws, and two grandchildren of Tom Tate experience. A man who acquitted himself wonderfully as a long-time sin
Maria
Dec 02, 2015 rated it did not like it
Wow. There's a few hours of my life I won't get back. I wanted this to be thrilling. But it was amateurishly written. And Spoiler Alert ... the ending was ridiculous and not beliveable. And I don't mean in the, wow didn't see that coming; how exciting way. It's like it was unfinished. Are we supposed to believe the police suddenly stopped looking? I can't understand the great reviews. To each his own of course, but there's alot better fiction out there to read. Just a bad, bad novel.
Andrea
Feb 28, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: on-kindle
I give this book 3.5 rating,really disappointed with this book as it was lacking.as loved her book look behind you.still going to read more of this authors books.
Bill Kupersmith
Aug 27, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is an ideal test of your skills as a literary detective. Usually when I suss out the perpetrator in a mystery story, I dock the book a star for being so simpleminded or derivative that even I can figure it out. At the other end of the spectrum are authors who also lose a star because they bury the clues so deeply that you’ll never spot them, @ least I’ll never. Not the mention authors who out & out cheat by withholding essential information from the reader. Unlike them, Sibel Hodge ...more
Joanne Fish
A memory to forget

I read the few reviews that were available and most all thought this was a great book. I could only get to Chapter 5 before I was done with it. I then read the epilogue and the author asks the reader a moral question.

I started off liking the characters and the plot but it became clear we could lose multiple chapters and not miss anything. It started off at a good pace and then became cumbersome. I didn't need a whole chapter about a beach picnic. I wanted to get back to the
Ivy
Oct 31, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, from-tests
3,5 Stars

Olivia didn't think about her best friend Katie for a long time, who ran away when they were 18. Now her father-in-law, who's in a nursing home with Alzheimers confessed on killing her, to protect his child.

Katie left a letter before she went missing and always wanted to get away from her alcoholic parents. That's why she pushed on her boyfriend Chris, who felt pressured and broke up. And who happens to be her brother-in-law. And Olivia remembers that Katie mentioned, she wanted someo
Judy Collins
A special thank you to Thomas & Mercer and NetGalley for an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

Sibel Hodge returns following Look Behind You, with WHERE THE MEMORIES LIE —a psychological intense suspense of dark family secrets, confessions, betrayal, and lies—how far would you go to protect the ones you love?

Beware: Be mindful of those holding your secrets. Alzheimer’s could get you faster than a snitch in jail, or a white collar corporate whistleblower!

I N T R I G U I N G ! Hodge explores thelies—how
Joanne Robertson
Sep 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
I absolutely adored Sibels last book Look behind You which was her first psychological thriller so i was rather excited to get a copy of her new one from Netgalley but also rather nervous! Would Where the Memories Lie live up to my expectations? I am please to say that it did!
Olivia lives an idyllic lifestyle with her husband Ethan and daughter Anna. Ethan comes from close family but his father Tom is now in home as he has been diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease. When Olivia visits him one
Lesley
Oct 20, 2017 rated it it was ok
this took me too long to get through because I had trouble keeping my interest and I felt the ending was too easy.
Joseph - Relax And Read Reviews
Sep 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
Holy Moly! This book is absolutely one of the best psychological thrillers I've read in a long time. As soon as I read the blurb, I knew this was going to be a cracker of a thriller... just not this good!

"Every action has a reaction. Every deed has a consequence. There's always a price to pay."

Family secrets can be destructive. They wedge a boulder between those who know them and those who don't. When exposed, as happens in this book, they test a family's bond to the limit, shattering liv/>
Connie
Aug 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Source: I downloaded this book via Kindle Unlimited.
Cost: Free

Title: Where the Memories Lie
Author: Sibel Hodge
Genre: Suspense, mystery
Overall Rating: 4 stars

I didn't expect much from this book, I never do when it comes to Kindle Unlimited books, I don't know why. Also this book is a bit out of my comfort zone, but this book really drew me in. Katie ran away 25 years ago, and her best friend hasn't thought about her since, until her father in law admits to killing/>/>/>/>
Lynn Mccarthy
Tom is a man that lives with alzheimer's in a nursing home he is a man that always puts his family first.
One day while his daughter-in-law is visiting him he confesses to killing a young women 25 years ago.
Is it his Alzheimer's talking or can it be true what to think, so she decides to find out for herself somebody must of missed the women.
This book has plenty of twists and drama to keep you reading.

Thank you netgalley and the publisher for a chance to read this book.
Mandy
Mar 12, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Very poor - characters had no substance and main character was dreadful. The plot was ridiculous and so much of the dialogue felt contrived. Really glad to finish this one and move on to something better!
♣️ Lynda ♣️
I understand the ending of this book but can only give it 3 stars as the one person that caused EVERYTHING was never called out or held responsible.
Olivia was also a know it all throughout the book. Jumping to conclusions and thinking that whatever she thought was right irregardless of anyone else’s feelings.
Abbie
Apr 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle-unlimited
Actual rating - 3.5
Susan Hampson
Sep 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Author Sibel Hodge tackles a very difficult and sensitive topic with a lot of people, a member of the family suffering from alzheimer's. The struggles of the family, left in a world of reality with every day problems, knowing that when they visit they may not even be recognised. Then she throws a spanner in the works when confused and frightened Tom confesses to killing a young woman 25 years earlier and burying her body.
So should Olivia, his shocked daughter-in-law, believe him or put it all d
K-BRC
Aug 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I didn't want to finish this book. It worried me that I might not like what I found out. Does dementia free memories so secrets are exposed? If these memories are real, would the kids and the rest of the family be able to handle the dark secrets? Would I conceal the truth to protect the family in a similar situation? I was twisted up in knots. I woke with the story invading my dreams and just had to know who did it. I love it when the writer gives me this creepy feeling. Then I wonder who I know ...more
Richard
Great idea for a novel with an historic murder and how that may unravel in the lives of a family.
Tom the elderly patriarch is slowly dying before his families' eyes with the mind changing, personality altering and brain destroying condition Alzheimer's disease. So amid all his dementia how lucid was he when he becomes agitated by a murder in his past?
The story is told in the first person and it to is this person; Tom's daughter-in-law that the confession of a historic crime is made.
Irene
Mar 14, 2016 rated it liked it
Not quite a 4 star rating - 3 1/2. Olivia's best friend (Katie) runs away over 20 years ago and no one ever hears from her again. Father-in-law Tom is in a nursing home suffering from Alzheimer's and confesses to a terrible deed. From that point on there is no stopping Olivia as she is like a missile intent on finding out what happened to Katie. I liked the story, the way it was written, how you were led to think different things at various times, but it was a bit too long with lots of unnecessa ...more
DS
Mar 16, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Tom Elder
Aug 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Sibel Hodge.
Brilliant.
WHERE THE MEMORIES LIE.
How well do you know your friends & family. After Katie disappeared 25 years ago she reappears again in her best pals life in the form of a confession by her friends father in law Tom. He suffers from Alzheimer's and says he murdered Katie all those ago.
The author has an uncanny ability to keep your attention no matter what genre she is writing.
5* 27 August 2015.
Agnes (BeaderBubbe)
How Far would you go for a loved one?

Great story of a family with a secret kept to protect the family but it all comes out 25 years later.

Katie ran away from home and was never heard from. But now Olivia’s father-in-law, Tom, who also has Alzheimers says he murdered her all those years ago and he knows where the body is buried. Follow the story of what Olivia feels she must do to make it all right....or does she??
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• The Secret Child (DI Amy Winter, #2)
  • Lock the Door
  • Girl Number One
  • When She Returned
  • Bring Them Home (DS Karen Hart, #1)
  • The Friend
  • Where Secrets Lie (DS Karen Hart, #2)
  • Witness
  • Truth and Lies (DI Amy Winter, #1)
  • The Paramedic's Daughter
  • The Promise
  • Forget Her Name
  • The Shape of Lies (DCI Tom Douglas, #8)
  • Last of the Magpies: The Thrilling Conclusion to The Magpies (Kindle Single)
  • And So It Begins (Stephanie King #1)
  • In Her Shadow
  • Watching Over You
  • He Will Kill You (Maddie Ives, #2)

Sibel Hodge is the author of the #1 Bestsellers Look Behind You, Untouchable, and Duplicity. Her books have sold over one million copies and are international bestsellers in the UK, USA, Australia, France, Canada and Germany. She writes in an eclectic mix of genres, and is a passionate human and animal rights advocate.

Her work has been nominated and shortlisted for numerous prizes, inc
“You always take life for granted, don’t you? You think you’ve got years and years ahead of you so you plan all this stuff you’re going to do in the future. I wonder how much time we waste being unhappy, doing things we don’t want to, never fulfilling ourselves, because we think there’s all this time left when we’ll finally get round to doing what we want. Except there isn’t. Life can change in a split second. It can all go wrong in one shattered moment. And then it’s too late to do the things we put off. Too late to live the dreams we’ve been dreaming of all this time.” 1 likes
“By the time they found her remains, I hadn't thought about her for years. I'd been too busy getting on with my life. A life I thought was normal.” 1 likes