Start by marking “Worship, Community and the Triune God of Grace” as Want to Read:
Worship, Community and the Triune God of Grace

Worship, Community and the Triune God of Grace

4.3  ·  Rating details ·  239 Ratings  ·  32 Reviews
This book explodes the notion that the doctrine of the Trinity may be indispensable for the creed but remote from life and worship. Firmly rooted in Scripture and theology, alive with pastoral counsel and anecdote, Torrances work shows us just why real trinitarian theology is the very fiber of Christian confession.
Published August 2nd 1997 by IVP Academic (first published January 1st 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Worship, Community and the Triune God of Grace, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Worship, Community and the Triune God of Grace

Andrew
Aug 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: theology
I highly recommend that every Protestant evangelical pastor and worship leader read and carefully digest the contents of this book.

For the layperson, if you think the Trinity is a speculative theological exercise for academic philosophers with no connection to your everyday Christian experience, think AGAIN.

Who God is, who we believe him to be, has a direct impact on how rightly or wrongly we worship him. Torrance distinguishes between two kinds of worship.

First, there is the "unitarian" brand
Adam Ross
Jul 24, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: theology
What a wonderful book. Torrance builds a theology of worship on the basis of the Trinity. His position is at once refreshingly original and appropriately ancient. His love of the Reformed faith shines through on every page, and in the frequent citations of Calvin's Institutes, the most often quoted work in the book.

He stumbles in the last chapter, in which he deals with issues of gender and speaking of God in the masculine and feminine. He clearly is in support or woman's ordination and makes a
Susan Henn
Dec 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: religious
12/2015 The first half of the book is a good review of reformed Calvinism. The author uses big words, long sentences, and the word counterpart in an odd manner ... but the teaching is sound. The second half of the book explores baptism, communion, and the use of gender in reformed theology. Torrance's reasoning for his stands on these issues are well supported and insightful. His ideas about feminism within the triune God of grace are some of the best I've heard/read. In the Baptism/Communion ch ...more
Chris
Jan 11, 2009 rated it it was amazing
An excellent little book on theology. James Torrance offers a critique of church life and worship, suggesting that we return our focus, in very practical ways, to the Triune character of God. This may sound dry, but it is emphatically not. He makes a compelling argument for why the doctrine of the Trinity actually matters to daily personal and communal faith, and for the significance of worshiping IN Jesus, rather than just worshiping Jesus. After reading this book I think I will especially have ...more
Daunavan Buyer
Jul 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was a good book on worship. Torrance propses an understanding of a Trinitarian focus of worship - we worship the Father through Jesus (the worship leader) with the empowerment of the Holy Spirit. This book was written at a bit of a deeper level so it's not for everyone and the final chapter seems to be disconnected from the rest of the book, but it's for sure worth reading if you want to challenge or expand your understanding of 'worship.'
Mitch Bedzyk
Jul 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
This brief book on the Trinity and worship is simply delightful. There's nothing novel here; only a deep love for the Trinity and a desire to retrieve the doctrine for the present day church, which often drifts into forms of worship that are "unitarian." Torrance shows how the Trinity is foundational to Christian faith and worship.

Highly recommended for all believers, pastors, and worship leaders.
Pris
Feb 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is the third time I've read this book. When I read it a second time, I thought I've learned all I can from it, but reading it a third time showed me that I have gleaned yet something more. Each time I've had to read it with my Bible and reflect on both what Torrance has written and the biblical passages quoted throughout. The depths of God's Word cannot be fathomed completely because He reveals to us continuously more and more as we mature spiritually, each revelation meatier than the first ...more
Dwight Davis
May 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is a great little introduction to theology from a Trinitarian standpoint. The first chapter is fantastic on different models of worship and the supremacy of a Trinitarian model over against an existential model. The last chapter on Gender, Sexuality, and the Trinity is genuinely the best text on feminism I've ever read, and probably the first thing to articulate feminism in such a way that I totally agreed with. The middle two chapters are decent, but not great. I was particularly let down ...more
Luke
Mar 20, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: worship
Great mediation on how our worship is to be fueled by the Trinity, not just directed toward. Torrance's thesis is that we say that we worship the Trinity, but then don't realize how the Trinity is intimately involved in our ability to worship. A lot of great insights into the sacraments as well. Last chapter is on the use of gender language for God. Admittedly I haven't encounter this in my own circles yet, but Torrance provides a very helpful discussion of the subject. The problem is that we th ...more
Daniel Stewart
Dec 29, 2016 rated it liked it
I freely admit that I gave this book 3 stars largely because the genre of academic theology is not my cup of tea. I do think Torrance made some fabulous points, although much wading through dense theological concepts was required to find them. I was deeply struck on his reminder of the role of Christ as not only the means of humanity's forgiveness, but as the enabler of worship and love in us. I foresee that this, and the chapter on gender and sexuality with regards to the trinity, will continue ...more
Bill Twyman
May 08, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Perhaps the major work from the Torrance family. The book calls us out from a largely Unitarian practice to a genuine life with our God who himself is community. The recovery of Trinitarian Worship is the stock that genuine reformation is made of. Be challenged and be blessed as you see the Lord more acurately than before and lose your guilt and shame to live in peace by faith in the righteousness of Christ.
Jeff
Aug 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Yah I read this book for Seminary too, but it is one of the books at Seminary where I was like YAH! Gimme more. This challenges what we practice today in churches as "Worship" and helps us to understand what worship was meant for and who it was meant for and what the purpose of worship is! I highly recommend this for pastors & Worship leaders to read together to grow!
Israel Soler
Aug 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Great book reminding us of the centrality of Christ and His life in salvation, life, worship, community and everything. Torrance does a great job of comparing trinitarian views with the commonly accepted doctrines of our day. It's very readable but definitely on the academic side. Excellent introduction to trinitarian theology/doctrines.
Michael W.
Jul 04, 2012 rated it liked it
I read this work in 2000, and picked it up for a second read in 2014. It is a mixed bag of good and troubling things. The emphasis on trinitarian perichoresis is exciting and instructive, especially the way JBT applies it to worship. The subtle universalism, regurgitating John McLeod Campbell and Irving is problematic. The book is worth reading, but must be read with discernment.
Jared Mcnabb
Nov 18, 2011 rated it liked it
Had a few quibbles throughout, mainly in the last chapter. But I loved Torrance's focus on the Trinity, ongoing ministry of Christ, and the doctrine of union with Christ, and how they should affect worship. Generally good stuff
Bruce Williams
Worship is “our participation through the Spirit in the Son’s communion with the Father, in his vicarious life and intercession.”
James B. Torrance from “Worship, Community, and the Triune Grace of God”
Jane
Jul 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
A pithy little book of theology, well presented, succinctly written, yet thorough on the topics in the title. Parts of this were harder to push through than others, but all in all a great little work. Another valued addition to the books adding to ongoing obsession with grace. :)
G Walker
Dec 04, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: trinity, dogmatics, doing
Delightful little book, partly doxological in nature, largely corrective, yet always delightful, Jim Torrance redirects our focus (within the context of corporate worship) back to its Trinitarian foundation. Good book overall. Worthy of reading, studying and sharing with others.
Katharine
Mar 03, 2008 rated it really liked it
A shining look into the trinitarian values instilled into a healthy view of the Christian faith, specifically the sacrament of Baptism and the Eucharist.
Joey Rosado
Oct 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Best book I read on the importance of community and worship.
Nick
Sep 30, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: theology, own
Excellent! Longer review to follow.
Benjamin
Aug 29, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book for those not content with simplistic explanations to complex doctrinal questions of Christian faith. Absolutely formative.
Gavin Brown
Nov 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: theology
A Reformed take on Trinitarian worship.
Alex Stroshine
Jun 03, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: theology
James Torrance offers a slim volume on worship and the Trinity from a Reformed perspective. Great Christocentric teaching, especially on the sacraments.
Gregory
Dec 26, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: liturgy
Splendid, except for the undertones of liberalism.
Nathan Chambers
Oct 08, 2009 rated it really liked it
The second read is even better than the first.
Stephen D. Morrison
Jan 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful work on the triune nature of God, and our role in a Trinitarian worship! Fantastic book. Quick read, but packed full of great ideas.
Marty Folsom
Sep 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite theology books to discover the nature of grace and covenant
Michael
Nov 03, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: theology
A bunch of jumbled stuff. Not a coherent argument or vision. His Christology is so central that he does injustice to the Trinity, especially the operation of the Spirit in Worship.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Christ, Baptism and the Lord's Supper: Recovering the Sacraments for Evangelical Worship
  • Liturgical Theology: The Church as Worshiping Community
  • For the Life of the World: Sacraments and Orthodoxy
  • Union with Christ: Reframing Theology and Ministry for the Church
  • Theology for the Community of God
  • Resounding Truth: Christian Wisdom in the World of Music
  • Theology in the Context of World Christianity: How the Global Church Is Influencing the Way We Think about and Discuss Theology
  • The Doctrine of the Word of God (A Theology of Lordship)

“The false argument has been used that only a man can represent a male Jesus. But this portrays an inadequate understanding of the incarnation. The Son of God, in assuming our humanity, became a man, not to sanctify maleness, but our common humanity so that, be we men or women, we can see the dignity and beauty of our humanity sanctified in him.” 0 likes