Start by marking “Messenger” as Want to Read:
Messenger

Messenger

From PEN Award–winning author Carol Lynch Williams comes an eerie and atmospheric coming-of-age tale about a girl who can talk to the dead—even if she would rather not.

Evie Messenger knows that her family is different from other families. But it isn’t until her fifteenth birthday that the Messenger gift is revealed to her. Evie has the family’s gift—a special power. Soon s
Published October 18th 2016 by Simon & Schuster/Paula Wiseman Books

To ask other readers questions about Messenger, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Messenger

Anastasia シ
Mhm...
Nope.
This was just bad. It took me forever to read..
Oct 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shit... that ending was more chaotic than a redneck family reunion.
Adrien They/Them
May 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love this book so so much!!! It's about a girl named Evie Messenger. Every female in the Messenger family has a gift. Well, Evie's gift is, she can see and speak to dead people. On her 15th birthday, she sees this girl in her room named Tommie. Well, it turns out, Tommie is dead. She has been dead for the past couple of years. But, Tommie doesn't know that she is dead. So, Evie has to explain to her how she knows that she is dead, and she has to deal with her crush/ possible boyfriend, Buddy. ...more
Kami
Aug 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
- This was a lighter book for this author, and I liked it. It isn't my favorite of hers, but it's good.

- Carol Lynch Williams has a very distinct writing style and voice. I love it. There is something soothing and eerie about it.

- I love how so much can be said and felt in a few words.

- I wish the story had a little more substance. I would love to know more about Evie's family and how the "gifts" came to be. I would have liked to see Evie help more ghosts move on.

- This was a fun little ghost
Olivia & Lori (The Candid Cover)
DNF at page 50

This book is very unrealistic. The voice of the main character was very immature and I just couldn't relate to this story or character.
Ayda
Jul 04, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2018
interesting concept... really easy read
Kristen
Aunt Odie shook her head. "I didn't know you were going to get the dead-people card. Few are trusted with that."
"Cards or not," I said, "this shouldn't be happening."

For me, Messenger was one of those books that you pick up on a whim. Like, they don't exactly sound like the most interesting novel, but it might be worth a chance. And, well, I was at the library so it was totally free. Unfortunately, free did not equal good in this case. I was unimpressed with the book and stuck with it just bec
Robin
Oct 24, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Somehow this book was both humorous and incredibly sad. I really enjoyed Evie, the main character. I thought she was interesting and well-rounded, and I liked that she's portrayed as both very different from a lot of 15-year-olds (even outside of her "gift"), but also very similar. I liked the mystery of finding out what her gift is (though I wish the jacket text hadn't spoiled it...). There were a couple times I had a hard time figuring out exactly what was happening, and how it fit into the st ...more
Kelly Hager
First, if it's not too late, don't read the synopsis for this. It contains a major spoiler. (Publishers, if we don't learn something for literally over a hundred pages, don't tell us ahead of time!)

The women in the Messenger family get a Gift on their fifteenth birthdays. For example, Evie's aunt has a way with cooking that's made her rich. Evie doesn't know what hers will be but she's excited...

This is a really hard book to review without discussing the gift and the other things relating to it.
KWinks
Nov 04, 2016 rated it liked it
Hoo boy, I knew I was in for it when, around the 17th chapter I was going to DNF and I thought "let me check Goodreads". Dudes, this book is getting 4 or 5 stars OR 1 star. People are either digging it or hating it. I did both, so I'm going to land smack in the middle.
Let me begin by saying this is not a good read. It has elements that reminded me of good reads. The women coming into their special powers at a certain age and then learning to deal with said power. Can we say SavvySavvy? Or how a
Noelle Neri
May 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recently, I read the book Messenger by Carol Lynch Williams. The main character, Evie Messenger, is just a normal southern teen. That is, until her fifteenth birthday. All Messengers receive a special talent, or "Gift", on their fifteenth birthday. Evie's Aunt Odie's Gift is cooking and her mother's Gift is healing. However, when Evie turns fifteen, her Gift is hiding, and at her birthday party, Evie comes across a girl named Tommie standing in her room. Evie is very confused as Tommie continue ...more
Amy
Mar 20, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
15 year old Evie Messenger is supposed to get her Gift on her 15th birthday. That is how it is in the Messenger family. The Messenger women get gifts like healing, cooking (getting recipes from the dead), and more. Evie doesn't know what her gift is, at first, and when she does find out, she isn't sure she wants her gift at all. And a strange girl, Tommie, has appeared in her life. Evie doesn't know who she is, or why she keeps showing up. I thought the supporting characters of Aunt Odie and the ...more
Ariel
Jan 13, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a very quick read and I don't really understand why it wasn't shorter? So many "chapters" consisted of only a few sentences and so were literally a continued thought from the last chapter.

First, where the heck in Florida are these people!? Why do they speak like they are from the deep south? Grant you, I get Evie has moved around some but come on! I am a Florida native and even in the southern most part, people don't really talk like that. But somehow... this entire town does.

How cree
Erin
Oct 02, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am still not quite sure how I feel about this book. I need to discuss it with my Book Club Ladies. I always feel different after a discussion. Anyway, I thought it would be a great book to read in the fall before Halloween. Although there is a ghost in the book, it really is not a scary book. More sad. This kind of was Ghostwhisper meets Grnadma Dowdel from Richard Peck's: A Long Way from Chicago.
Aunt Odie is so crazy and funny. I think I liked her the best. Anytime there is a death in the fam
NoobReader
Michelle
Jun 11, 2017 rated it it was ok
I was not a huge fan of this book. It was a quick, easy read, but I craved more substance from it. It felt like it ambled along until I hit the end, which felt like running into a brick wall at full speed - which is to say, the ending was way too abrupt. None of the story arcs were fully developed. It could have been a really good book, but in the end, it fell short for me.
Alice Fleury
Jul 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
Evie, like all the women Messengers received her gift when she turned 15. She didn't recognize it though. Her gift was seeing and talking to ghosts. Too bad its her stepfather's dead daughter and she doesn't know she's dead.

Great teen angst in this story. Wish it hadn't ended so fast.
Lara
May 05, 2017 rated it did not like it
Took two-thirds of the book to get more than a glimpse at the part of the plot that's advertised. And after reading through all the other boredom, by the time things got going around page 200, I didn't care anymore.
Christi
May 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2016
I love the way the author writes about the South and its people. You'd think she'd actually grew up there....oh wait, she did!
Kergy
Jan 02, 2019 rated it liked it
This is not my favorite genre so I am probably a little harsh with this rating. It was okay. Middle and high school students who enjoy this genre will probably like this story more than I did.
Susan Phelan
Sep 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
This set just the right mood - a little bit spooky, but still real. Strong sense of place. I really enjoyed it.
Lea Cherry
May 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed the fast pace and easy read of the book. Didn’t have to think much and was quite enjoyable. The end however felt a bit too rushed though and would have like it to be more detailed.
Azorianfireflyz
Mar 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! Great humor and emotion, beautiful characters that live and breathe on the page. I laughed and cried in turn.

I loved watching Evie grow throughout the story and come to accept herself and her Gift.
Jan 05, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: supernatural, mystery
The Messenger women all receive a supernatural gift when the grow into womanhood. For example, Evie's aunt uses her ability to make and sell recipes. When Evie first gets her gift, no one will tell her what it is, but it is bad. Soon weird things start happening, especially this weird girl who keeps showing up in her room and not leaving. Evie is drawn into a family drama involving a death of a young teen and must help the spirit and family come to terms with what has happened.

This book was a d
Abbie
Mar 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, romance, fantasy
Read my review at Bookish Adventures.
Lorna
Kind of strange and silly. I didn't see the point of the book until the very end. It was light and entertaining and I did like it.
Leslie
Dec 09, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bryan Summers
Nov 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is one of Carol Lynch William's best. What a tender book.
Domini Phillips ~My Bookish Friends~
Super cute story of a family gift that Evie isn't too sure she wants to except. Lot of cute moments and romance. Would have been 4 stars, but I found the ending unsatisfying.
Jennifer Whitlock
super fast read. already on page 200. it's kinda a weird book. a girl is very confused and learning to accept changes in her life.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Wolfborn
  • Frankenstein by Mary Shelley
  • Sunny, Vol. 3
  • The Winter Place
  • Intuition (Transcendence, #2)
  • The New Normal
  • Consumed (Rayne, #2)
  • The Life and Death Parade
  • Watched
  • Secrets of Skin and Stone
  • Another Jekyll, Another Hyde (Another, #3)
  • The Sixth Gun, Vol. 3: Bound (The Sixth Gun, #3)
Carol Lynch Williams is the author of more than 30 books for middle grade and young adult readers. Her novels include The Chosen One, Never that Far, Messenger and Never Said. Her most recent book is the novelization of the movie Once I Was a Beehive. Carol has an MFA from Vermont College in Writing for Children and Young Adults and teaches creative writing at BYU. She runs Writing and Illustratin ...more