Start by marking “When Cocoy Became Kikay” as Want to Read:
When Cocoy Became Kikay

When Cocoy Became Kikay

Cocoy’s not-so-secret dream is to one day become a gun-toting, ass-kicking secret agent. But she has another dream—and this time, even her best friends don’t have a clue—she dreams of someone.
Problem is, she finds out that Jaime Arguelles—a.k.a. the guy she’d been secretly crushing on for years—likes girls who . . . well . . . like pink.
To Cocoy’s logical mind, there’s on
ebook
Published March 25th 2015 by C. P. Santi

To ask other readers questions about When Cocoy Became Kikay, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When Cocoy Became Kikay

Justine
It was an amazingly quick read about Cocoy, an only daughter of a high ranking military personnel, all she ever knew was strict procedures from his father and covert operations. Since then she’s always been one of the boys, playing basketball, video games and all! She’s been friends with Dags, Paulo, and, Joel since she could remember. But of course, like any growing teenager, there will be changes. One would grow to like and please the person one is interested in. Thus began Cocoy’s mission to ...more
Chrissie Peria
May 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I love makeover tropes. Being a non-girly girl, it allows me to live vicariously and imagine myself doing that switch, too. So this story? I had to read it.

(view spoiler)
Marian
Apr 01, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-books, arc, 2016
*First of all, I’d like to thank C.P. Santi for giving me an opportunity to review this book. My review is unbiased in any way, and all that’s written is fully based on what I feel about the book.*

So here I am, missing my boy friends, eating my bread with Nutella, and wondering when will the society stop thinking a girl with boyish ways as tomboys.

This story started in a funeral of Cocoy's father, a colonel, who died not because of bullets but due to a heart attack. The focus of the story is on
Erika (The Nocturnal Fey)
Read the full review at The Nocturnal Fey blog

(I received a free copy from the author in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book)

Final rating - 3 stars out of 5

When I first read the synopsis, I pictured an extremely different environment compared to what it really was. I didn't expect for this one to be YA. I mean, yes, it can be... but I kind of expected more of an NA environment.

So the thing was, the characters were actually high school students, and Cocoy, t
Claire - The Coffeeholic Bookworm
Cocoy is the only daughter of the late, highly-revered military officer , Col. Miguel Suzarez, and acts like a tomboy. She's friend with three great guys, Paulo, Dags & Joel. They've been friends for as long as they can remember, and together, they're a riot. Cocoy, whose real name is Maria Francisca Suarez, has a secret though. Despite the macho persona she exudes, deep inside is a heart capable of crushing on one cute, tall, dark and handsome, Jaime Arguelles.

A dare to prove her friends wr
Bianca Mori
Aug 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
The story, for me, is fundamentally about identity. The adolescent search for identity, the ways teenagers try on different personas for size as their personalities crystallize into the adults they become. It reminded me very much of being a teenager and taking those personality quizzes in YM and Seventeen, wondering why I never seemed to fit into any set box -- 'how can I be a girly girl when I love rock music and hang out with wannabe grunge rockers,' that sort of thing. Cocoy, raised by her m ...more
Ailla Magcamit
Jun 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
description
Read full review HERE! :)

C.P. Santi proved that her work is more than just a pretty cover. What I liked most about WCBK is that Cocoy is soooo relatable, Sure, not every girl has gun-bearing, military dreams (unless you count Mulan) but almost everyone went through the phase wherein they wanted to makeover themselves to be their dream guy/girl's ideal person.

Aside from that, I love the gang's friendship! (#FriendshipGoals) It's just so... real. Most of my friends are girls (and girls at hea
April Anne
May 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Hey congrats on your new book! This is an amazing read. Very light and ideal to younger genre because it tackles the common teen problems...knowing what you want to be and what others want you to be. Sometimes, teenagers try so hard to fit in a status quo that they often forget how amazing they truly are. So, this book, talks about that. I am looking forward to more books from this author because I believe that she can give me reprieve from reading too much eroticas (I'm not really complaining, ...more
Janus the Erudite Artist
If you are YA fantasy-hungry reader like me, there comes a time when you’re reading one book after the other that the stories seem to blend together and you get to the point where you don’t remember which lore belongs to which, and where this or that character belonged to what book. Nothing like a short and quick, cutie read to break away from dark fantasy books I’ve been simultaneously reading to get a fresh perspective on the next books I’ll be reading. So, thank you, When Cocoy Became Kikay. ...more
Charlie
Jan 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Read more book reviews at The Perfictionist.

I'm amazed at how much I actually related to Cocoy as a character. Reading about her friends and her complicated relationship with Jaime transported me to a time when I experienced something very eerily similar.

Before I started reading the story, I thought that this was a classic make-over trope -- something I'm neutral about. I don't particularly like it, but I don't hate it either. When I started reading about Cocoy's boyish ways, she reminded me of
Jay Tria
Nov 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
The title threw me off just a little, to be honest. I thought it's a story of a young boy who wanted to physically become a girl. Turns out that while that would be a very interesting story, When Cocoy Became Kikay tells a completely different tale of a teenage girl's transformation.

Cocoy is one of the boys, and she is happy in her skin, thank you very much. That is, until she falls in crush with the one and only Jaime Arguelles, the boy next door who prefers girls who wear pink and maybe a tiny
C. Erani Kole
Jan 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
*received an ARC in exchange for an honest review via Filipino Friday*

THIS WAS SO FREAKING CUTE. It's the first I've read of the author, but I'm already in love. It's a story centered around young adults about to start their own lives after high school, but with graduation months away, tests and life goals aren't the only thing on Cocoy's mind. She wants to see her dream come true, and what better plan than to put her military training to use?

Filled with first love, tough decisions, and amazing
Anne
Mar 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Since I read Be Careful What You Wish For, I've loved Santi's light prose and even-paced stories. When Cocoy Became Kikay is such a fun read, light, and hits you right in the feels. If I read this in my high school days, I would've been so happy to read a story about being yourself and staying true to who you are no matter how tough life gets. But I read it today and it still holds true, and I think my teen self is thankful for it. This is such an honest story that needs to be read by everyone. ...more
Agay Llanera
Jul 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
I really really really wish C.P. Santi were already writing YA when i was a YA because back then, there were NO local YA books to read at all. I would've loved to read this short but sweet story about a teenaged girl finding herself, while being "one of the boys" and falling in love with someone who didn't know her fully. If I had a daughter, I'd encourage her to read this, so she can learn about true friendship and being true to one's self.
Lynai
Apr 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
When Cocoy Became Kikay was a delightful read. I don’t know if this is a debut but this is the first time I read Ms. Santi’s works and I must say I was really impressed. I love the simple narrative in this story, something I know most young-adults would love considering that the novella is geared towards the YA readers.

Continue reading.
Kat at Book Thingo
Not a romance per se, but the story hearkens back to the Sweet Dreams books I loved as a teen...with the added bonus of being set in the Philippines. I'm a bit sad that there are no sequels giving the Cocoy and her friends their own HEAs! Also, I'm going to try a Nutella-Chippy-pandesal sandwich next chance I get!
J.V. Mariano
Judy Ann
May 06, 2017
grelyn
Jul 06, 2015
C. P. Santi is a Filipina writer based in Tokyo, Japan. She is a wife to an engineer / indie songwriter and is a full-time mom to two energetic boys. She loves cooking, baking, eating chocolate, watching J-doramas, singing at karaoke, and running around the house playing tickle tag. She also loves dreaming up stories about the people she meets.

In another life, she is also an architect and academic