Start by marking “Sixteen Runaway Pumpkins” as Want to Read:
Sixteen Runaway Pumpkins

Sixteen Runaway Pumpkins

Hooray!It's harvest time in the pumpkin patch....

"Whoosh" -- there they go!

Can Sam catch sixteen hill-rolling, ditch-jumping, stump-bumping, runaway pumpkins?

Come along on Sam's pumpkin-counting adventure...and find out!
Published August 10th 2004 by Margaret K. McElderry

To ask other readers questions about Sixteen Runaway Pumpkins, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sixteen Runaway Pumpkins

Edwina Callan
Oct 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017, bookcrossing
I picked up this book for my Granddaughter for Halloween and she and I both loved it.
I enjoyed hearing her name the animals and count the pumpkins and she enjoyed sitting on my lap and listening to a new book.
Win-Win!
Amelia
Jul 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved it! I really like how the pumpkins went all over the place in groups.
Angie
Sep 24, 2015 rated it liked it
Synopsis: "Hooray!It's harvest time in the pumpkin patch....

"Whoosh" -- there they go!

Come along on Sam's pumpkin-counting adventure...and find out!"

My Review: This is a fun book for the fall pumpkin picking season. Munchkin was really excited to see the pumpkins. I did think that this would be a little more of a counting book, but it really wasn't, though there was some math and even multiplication. Munchkin did
Jenilyn Willis
Oct 09, 2011 rated it really liked it
This book was used as part of a math lesson in a preschool class I observed. There are sixteen pumpkins that fall out of a wagon, but it takes some math skills to add up all the pumpkins in the book. In the lesson I observed, the teacher had each of the kids take a couple of cards that had the numbers 1-16 on them, and then the kids had to work together to figure out the order that the numbers went in from 1 to 16. I thought it was a really good lesson.
Sue Pak
Mar 19, 2012 rated it it was ok
Good Fall book. Sam the Raccoon adds sixteen pumpkins to her wagon, but when adding she adds by 1, 2, then doubles her numbers until she gets sixteen.

This book is good to use when you are introducing addition and doubling numbers. The book contains a rhyming pattern. It is very rich in adjectives and punctuation. Personally, I wish this book had a bit more consistency in the math aspect. If you want something quick and fast to read before teaching addition, this book would be okay to use.
Oct 07, 2011 rated it it was ok
A cute rhyming story about a raccoon named Sam and his pumpkins. There are some lovely basic addition and subtraction in this story along with a bouncing rhyme scheme. The pictures are not as vibrant as the cover indicates. A fine story, but not one that I think is especially well-done or exciting. Recommended for students in K and grade 1.

Also, I guess I should say that this a fall story, not a Halloween story. Sam and his family make pumpkin pie, not jack-o-lanterns.
Kelley Bennett
Oct 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I really like this book for it's descriptive writing. It contains words like - tumble, rumble, glide, stump-bumping, ditch-jumping etc. It also uses descriptive verbs like dash, skid and rattle. The book also gives a lesson on doubling in Math. I think intermediate students would get a lot out of this book.
Rachel
Mar 28, 2010 rated it it was ok
The story is kind of cute, but the pictures are blah! I thought they'd be bright like on the cover, but they are pretty dull. I like the rhyming cadence of the book, but the pictures are just no fun.
Pamela Howard
This is one of the coolest books ever! My kindergarteners absolutely love this books! They love how it rhymes and the counting that goes along with it. It is a great read for social studies for the fall season, Halloween, and for a math lesson.
Julianne
Dec 23, 2008 rated it it was ok
It's time for the fall harvest, and Sam takes her big farm wagon out to gather up some pumpkins. But too many pumpkins in one wagon make for trouble, and soon the pumpkins are rolling down the hill! Can the runaway pumpkins be saved?
Lauri
Nov 04, 2013 rated it liked it
Combines a fun harvest story with some mathematics - doubles facts!
Sarah Adamson
This was a pretty fun gentle book for fall and the lead up to Halloween or thanksgiving. Nice tale of misadventure fun whilst gathering pumpkins!
Katie Williams
Sam picks some pumpkins in the pumpkin patch, counting by twos, fours, eights until suddenly his pumpkins go flying down a hill. A good book to teach a math lesson; adding, fractions, multiplying.
Kate
Nov 04, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-books
Cherry Tree Read. Fall/Thanksgiving.
Sheila
Nov 04, 2009 rated it really liked it
This is a fun book to read around Halloween or Thanksgiving! This would be a great book for first graders who are learning about adding doubles!
ShaRhonda
Oct 24, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kaybrie
A counting book where the pumpkins are doubled as they go i.e. 2, 4, 8, 16. Kind of confusing for a kindergarten student. Not one of my favorite seasonal books.
Phyl
Oct 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Cute story....very colorful illustrations
pumpkins, fall
Paula
Oct 12, 2011 rated it liked it

Rhyming text and illustrations demonstrate how many pumpkins it takes to fill a wagon and how quickly they add up each time the number is doubled.
B
Nov 11, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids
still looking for good fall / halloween / thanksgiving books for toddlers -
this one is a good start - cute story with a lemonade-out-of-lemons twist at the end : )

Cece
Feb 14, 2010 rated it liked it
This book could be read to children to review numbers, addition, and subtraction.
Andrea
Apr 21, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: kids-own
It's ok.
Chelsey Dorsey
Sixteen Runaway Pumpkins is a cute counting book that can help children that struggle with counting. This would be used in K and 1st grade classes.
Alice
Jan 08, 2017 rated it did not like it
cute illustrations but i did not like the text. couldn't figure out the rhythm and rhyme!
Megan Rowland
Jan 19, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: math
If I am teaching my younger kids how to count during the Fall, this is a good book to read to them. It is a book that will keep their attention and help them count along the way.
Horace Mann Family Reading Challenge
It is harvest time in the pumpkin patch. M.
Meg McGregor
Nov 13, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: holiday-reads
It is autumn and time for Sam to gather in the pumpkins. Little ones will love following Sam on her adventure to find the sixteen best pumpkins for her Grandfather.
Meg McGregor
Nov 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-to-lexi
Brittany White
Somewhat of a letdown. The counting did not seem to follow a pattern. I was expecting more. Not as good of a read as The Runaway Pumpkin!
Andrea
Oct 21, 2011 rated it really liked it
Cute harvest time book with rhyming and counting. What could be better?
Shelby Royalty
This is a nice book for fall. It talks about family, pumpkins, and involves counting. This would be a good story for young readers. I think most children would enjoy the way it rhymes.

• We're Going On A Leaf Hunt
  • How Big Could Your Pumpkin Grow?
  • One Winter's Day
  • Tyrannosaurus Dad
  • Somewhere in the Ocean
  • The Halloween Play
  • Ugly Pie
  • Mrs. McNosh and the Great Big Squash
  • The Legend of Spookley the Square Pumpkin (with CD)
  • Let It Fall
  • Pumpkin Pumpkin
  • The Night Before Thanksgiving
  • Apple Trouble!
  • Thanksgiving Is for Giving Thanks
  • Mouse's First Spring
  • Animal Strike at the Zoo. It's True!
  • Five Little Pumpkins
  • The Lamb Who Came for Dinner
Dianne Ochiltree is a nationally recognized author of books for the very young. Her books have been featured on recommended lists, translated to foreign language editions, released in audio versions and selected for use in lesson plans by teachers nationwide. Her picture book, LULL-A-BYE, LITTLE ONE, has been a selection in the Dollywood Foundation's childhood literacy initiative, Imagination Libr ...more