Start by marking “Mutation (Twenty-Five Percent #1)” as Want to Read:
Mutation (Twenty-Five Percent #1)

Mutation

(Twenty-Five Percent #1)

>Sometimes, the best person to fight the monsters is someone who's been one.

Bitten and infected, cured, feared and despised, life isn't easy for Survivors of the disease that turns ordinary people into flesh hungry monsters. It's even worse for Alex MacCallum when he has to deal with anti-Survivor activists like Micah Clarke.

The world has lived w
Published May 4th 2015

To ask other readers questions about Mutation, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mutation

Start your review of Mutation (Twenty-Five Percent #1)
Whispering Stories
Apr 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Detective Constable Alexander MacCallum (Alex), is a survivor of a contagious virus know as Meir’s Disease. The disease turns humans into zombie-like creatures called, Eaters.

Around 4-5 days after being infected, the victims temperatures’ rise, toxins affect their brains, the iris’s of their eyes turn almost white, oh and they start eating human flesh!

Over time an antidote was discovered, but unfortunately it only worked in 25% of affected cases. It cured all of the sympt
Hobart
Oct 31, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016-reads
Last week, one hour after scheduling a post where I complained about Zombie stories, I loaded the next novel on my list onto my Kindle, and, of course, it's a Zombie novel. How I agreed to read two of them in a month, I'll never understand. I did say that there are exceptions to my "no Zombie" taste, thankfully, this turned out to be one of them.

So, in this particular version of the Zombie plague -- humanity comes up with a cure before the pandemic becomes so widespread that there's
Adam Smith
Aug 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
"Despite their bravado, most of the men facing them now looked on edge, ranging from nervous to downright terrified, glancing around them as if they expected a wave of ravenous monsters to flood from the surrounding buildings at any second. It was one thing to shout and goad an empty street, but quite another to come face to face with their nightmares."

Mutation is book one in the Twenty-Five Percent series; featuring samurai swords, bromance, romance, gore, suspense, guns (in the UK!), motorbikes -
S. Thomas
Dec 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Alex’s is a Meir’s disease survivor. The disease turns its victim into a mindless, flesh eating, super strong monster. It’s being a zombie except physiologically possible. Not many can be cured and those who are keep the white eyes and super strength. Micah has been leading mobs of protestors to the neighborhood where survivors congregate. He and Alex are on opposite sides of a new discrimination and the law until they are forced to escape an eater outbreak together.

I really enjoyed the plot an
Sars
Mar 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The end of the world makes for strange bedfellows.

Alex and Micah are basically the same person — except they couldn’t be more different. They’re equally competitive, have the same sense of humour, the same taste in women, the same personality. But their very different lived experiences have made them well-matched enemies. Until the world falls apart and they’re thrown together with no one else to watch their backs.

Mutation is a galloping, action-packed, non-stop, edge-of-
Jennifer Danner
Jul 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Action-Packed & Great Dynamics

I'm new to zombie stories, but this book really drew me in. I loved the interplay between the main characters, and there was so much going on that I didn't want to set the book aside until I was done. I'm hooked and will be continuing the series. If you like zombie stories, this is a must read! If you don't like zombie stories, this book may change your mind!
Janis
Apr 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
We have a nice slow-zombie plague that, for 25% of the population there is a cure for. Wonderful, if you're one of the lucky 25%. Then someone gets the wonderful idea to monkey with the virus, not with the noble idea of improving the 25% but of making a mindless super soldier. These new zombies turn in 10 minutes not 5 days, they can slow jog and they work together - everyones' worst fear! A very different zombie take and a great read! Can't wait for the next one.
CARLAS L MADRIGAL
Aug 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Good book

Will definitely read the other books. Good spin on the often overdone classic zombie apocalypse tale. In this book everything was not always black and white, and there was often hope instead of hopelessness. It was also on tale about putting aside prejudices and firming unlikely friendships. I don't want to give away too much, but I definitely recommend this book.
Peter Bruyns
Aug 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Zombies Galore

Somewhere in England there are zombies, apparently there are MANY zombies. If you read the book then you will find out how to find them. Seriously, this book is good reading. If you want to spend some money for good entertainment then go no further.
Michelle Buck
Sep 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Interesting but not enough to buy the sequels
Jade Wilson
Jun 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Just what you want from a zombie/apocalypse book. Terror twists blood death and some laughs. I was hooked from the first page.
Julia t chessher
Feb 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great read!

I'm not a big fan of zombies but this book grabbed me from the start. I laughed,cried,and had all sorts emotions. I highly recommend this book
Shannon Johnson
Aug 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Good book!

Enjoyed it, can't wait to read more by Nerys Wheatley. This book had action, drama, a hint of romance, and a sense of humor.
Elizabeth
Sep 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I'm not usually a fan of zombies stories but this was an amazing read. Love the friendship between Alex and Micah especially after the way they first met. Very well written book!!
Edna
Mar 15, 2017 rated it liked it
Okay I guess

This book was okay. I've read far better and far worse. So read if your bored I guess. Word word
Lilyn G. | Sci-Fi & Scary
Sep 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Review to come.
Tay LaRoi
Aug 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Mutation is an exciting, action-packed, zombie-filled thrill ride with something for undead fans an non-fans alike.
Alex MacCallum thought life had gone back to normal. Sure, he’s stigmatized like everyone else who recovered from the zombie virus, but at least no one’s munching on other humans anymore. That is until a new strain surfaces, turning its victims into monsters faster than ever before. Now Alex must
Autumn
May 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015
I received this book to give an honest review.
So this book for me rated right on up there with Shana Festa it was just freaking amazing is all I can say. This story was very unique to me as I have never thought or read about a book where people who became zombies could come back and become normal people and the only thing different is the eyes.
The author did an amazing job with the action and the characters especially the two main characters. I found myself laughing on more than one occas
p m caunt
Feb 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Excelent

This was an edge of your seat sort of story. Good balance of humour, very good main characters. Not too gory.
Katie Blythe
Apr 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
*This book was given to me by the author in exchange for an honest review*

Alex MacCallum is a Survivor, meaning he got bit by a zombie, got treated for it, and survived. He’s still the same person he was before he got bit except for his eyes which are all white with small black pupils. The disease has been around for 13 years and is called Meir’s disease, which takes about 5 weeks for someone to either get better and survive, or they become a full untreatable zombie. Micah Clarke can
☆Joycedale☆
May 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: r2r, kindle-2
13 yrs ago the Meir virus came and zombies happened. It took 5 days to turn and eventually a cure was able to help 25% of people that seeked treatment in time.
4 yrs ago Alex was bitten in the line of duty, he survived and now is what's known as white eyes. The survivors that lose their iris colors and are stronger and have somewhat heightened senses. Also they can't be reinfected.
Micah is part of the population that believes the survivors are dangerous.
When eaters start showing
Lee Aston
Feb 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Bloody fantastic

This is the creme de la creme of zombie books,funny,dark and highly enjoyable,can't wait to read book two of Alex and Micah's journey.
Catherine Griffin
Sep 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviews
Humour, fast-paced action, and fun with zombies.

Police officer Alex is a survivor of a previous zombie outbreak, which has left him with enhanced strength and white eyes. Other people have a natural tendency to prejudice against survivors, sometimes breaking out in open hostility. But when the town is overwhelmed by a new ultra-fast acting version of the zombie virus, Alex reluctantly teams up with a guy who hates Survivors to try and survive and find the cause of the outbreak.
Gordon Long
Sep 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I’m always interested when someone takes a standard format and uses it in a new way. I mean, I read far too many zombie stories. But what about a tale of recovered zombies, who have become the latest visible minority to be trampled upon?

And just to make it more interesting, drop the main character, a Survivor policeman, into an outbreak of the zombie plague that has mutated into a quicker, nastier version. Then saddle him with a sidekick who is the most annoying bigoted twit you ever
Angie Taylor
Jul 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this story. Zombie apocalyptic books are not my favorite reads since they seem to be a repeat of what someone else has already written. However, I found Mutation fresh and engaging. The writing was tight and I really connected with the two main characters. I was surprised at how much their friendship grew on me. Nicely done. This story was also filled with action that kept me interested. One life or death scene after another. The only subplot that I did not care for at all was K ...more
Kathy
May 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I can't say enough good things about this book. One of the BEST zombie books I have ever read ( and I have read loads ). This has it all, gross factor,suspense,yelling at the characters like they can hear you and humor. The humor works so well in this story. Lightens the suspense ànd makes the main characters more human. A wonderful twist on this zombie story is what the author calls the Survivors or "white eyes". When the virus makes its appearance, some humans survive with white eyes. And enha ...more
Kristin Dutt
May 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Have to hand it to Nerys Wheatley does a great unique take on the zombie craze!

This is a great post apocalyptic story of what happens when a cure is found and then a new class of people are created pretty much called "survivors" or belittled and called "white-eyes"

A new strain happens suddenly creating a new nightmare for "survivors" and normal to where they need to work together to live. I don't want to give to much away but I will say that during all the chaos of the ne
A. Rick
May 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Very well done.

A well-written story with a steady pace that doesn't bog down with excess fluff.

I liked the way the author started out with friction between the two main characters, then brought them together through adversity. I also liked the way the two main characters constantly bickered with each other. It reminded me of the way nearly ALL best friends (and my brothers and I) interact.

None of the above takes away from the fact that this is a well-crafted zombie bo
danielle
Jun 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-5-star-books
I loved this book! A different take on zombies that is very unique. The story was so action packed, the main characters didn't have a chance to catch their breath before they were thrown into another life or death situation! You get to know the characters very well between their actions and thoughts, and the story flows very well from beginning to end. Alex and Michah, although totally different in the beginning, form a very strong bond of friendship. Im excited for the next book in this series!
Geoff
Jul 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
4.5

While I rarely give five, this tale comes damn close to earning it.
Never heard of the author, but damn I enjoyed the book.
My only problem is the ending.
It's one of those cliffhangers where you now have to read book 2.
I care enough about the characters to grab the next when it comes out, but this device to blackmail readers could have been worked in a different way and still be effective.
Nook books: August 25, 2017 2 2 Aug 26, 2017 06:28PM
Kindle Unlimited ...: Mutation by Nerys Wheatley 1 2 Sep 17, 2016 08:33AM

• Forager (Forager #1)
  • The Upheaval (The Survivor Chronicles, #1)
  • The Smell (The Rot, #1)
  • Kellie's Diary #1
  • Daybreak
  • Victim Zero
  • The Soulkeepers (The Soulkeepers, #1)
  • Testing Zero (Remnants of Zone Four, #1)
  • Marking Time (The Immortal Descendants, #1)
  • The Deepest Cut (MacKinnon Curse, #1)
  • Crash (Crash, #1)
  • Plague Wars: Infection Day: The First Trilogy: Three apocalyptic sci-fi technothriller adventures (Plague Wars Series Book 12)
  • Infected: The Shiners (Forgotten Origins Trilogy #1)
  • Wasteland (Surviving The Evacuation #2)
  • Family (Surviving The Evacuation #3)
  • Run from Ruin: A Post-Apocalyptic Zombie Thriller (Final Update Book 1)
  • Twice Dead (The Zombie Crisis #1)
  • Convoy of Carnage (Zombie Road #1)
Nerys Wheatley has an underabundance of excitement in her life and an overabundance of imagination which is constantly making up stuff in her head. She writes fast moving, action packed science fiction because she has to let the stories out somehow.

She was born in the UK, which makes her spelling just that bit more thrilling. Her greatest wish is to wake up one day to find the remaining boxes fro

Twenty-Five Percent (3 books)
  • Downfall (Twenty-Five Percent  #2)
  • Vengeance (Twenty-Five Percent #3)