Start by marking “The Revelation Room (The Ben Whittle Investigations, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Revelation Room (The Ben Whittle Investigations, #1)

Read Book

The Revelation Room

(The Ben Whittle Investigations #1)

Ben Whittle’s father, a private investigator, has been taken captive by a cult whilst investigating the case of a missing girl. When Ben receives a desperate call from his father asking for help he is drawn into a dark underground world.

As Ben retraces the last known steps of the missing girl he discovers his only option left is to join the cult and rescue his father from
Published May 4th 2015 by Bloodhound Books

Maxine (Booklover Catlady)
This book was a complete surprise package for me and nothing quite what I was expecting but it was actually so much better. How do you take a serious storyline like a cult holding a man against his will and being led by a loud, charismatic but totally off the wall man who calls himself the Father and inject dark humour into it? You might think there is no chance of that blending well, but by golly Mark Tilbury has done it and it's what made this book really stand out from a lot I have read.

A da
Alan Cotterell
Jun 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2018
Nice surprise

This was a new author for me, and a great surprise. I admit I bought it when it was on an offer, and I don't particularly remember looking to, much at its plot at the time.
But it was a very nice surprise. Unusual storyline about a cult and the most unlikely detectives ever. Somehow it works and works extremely well with some great one liners.
I will definitely read more of this author.
Amy
May 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebook
All of my reviews can be found on www.novelgossip.com

I have a somewhat sick fascination with the idea of cults, they just intrigue me so when I read the blurb for this one, I just knew I had to read it. Having previously loved Tilbury’s The Abbatoir of Dreams I was eager to read some more of his work and this book had some of the great qualities that I enjoyed the first time around.

Ben is a reluctant PI, his father Geoff is the one who does the real investigating and he normally just helps him
Kate
May 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
“The Revelation Room” is the first book in the Ben Whittle series penned by Mark Tilbury and has recently been relaunched by the brilliant Bloodhound Books. For those already familiar with Tilbury’s work this series will not disappoint, this is a gripping and highly enjoyable psychological thriller.

Ben Whittle’s father Geoff is a private investigator, and has been kidnapped by a dangerous cult called the Sons and Daughters of Salvation. His only hope of survival is shy and unassuming Ben. With t
Feb 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
This is the first novel I have read by this author and having read this one I will certainly be reading more.

Ben is very much the underdog in the story. After his dad goes missing, it is up to him to save the day. Right from the start you can see what a sensitive soul Ben is and I really didn’t know how he was going to cope going into such a dangerous situation. Though obviously he doesn’t know that at the time.

Maddie to a certain extent felt like Ben’s safety blanket. It’s obvious the pair like
John Nicholl
Oct 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A tremendous psychological thriller from talented writer Mark Tilbury. It's a definite 5 star book for me.
Mark Wilson
May 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Dark intent? Check. Religious irreverence, bordering on satire? Check. The blackest of humour tinged with biting dialogue? Check. I’m all in for the revelation Room.

Told in third person-past tense throughout, Tilbury’s Revelation Room is a hugely enjoyable slash across the veneer of decent society, exposing some of the grimmest and most graphic insights into the depths of the human soul and capacity for denial, cruelty and for goodness.

Our main protagonists, undercover in a cult, are beautifully
C.p. Bialois
Aug 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I have to admit I wanted to read this since I read the first excerpt, and it didn’t disappoint. The story begins a little slow, but that’s to flesh out the two main characters and set the stage for their relationship. For me, it was well worth the wait. Because of that, I developed a strong attachment to Maddie and resented any time she was put into danger. Lol

The other characters were just as well done, and you either feel sympathy or loathe them. The latter was reserved for Edward Ebb while I
M.A. Comley
Aug 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing

Private investigator Geoff Whittle takes on the case of a missing girl who he suspects has joined a cult. He makes a terrifying call to his son Ben, as he takes, what sounds to be, his dying breath. In order to track down his father and the missing girl, Ben enlists the help of Maddie, but they soon get embroiled in the workings of a crazy cult.

Great characterisation and a story that takes you on a horrifying adventure that will leave the reader gasping out loud at times.

Can't wait to read mor
Maggie James
May 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: thriller, mystery
The Revelation Room is a great read, and impressive for a first novel. I enjoyed its dark humour whilst enjoying the story of Ben Whittle’s search for his missing father, who has been taken prisoner by a religious cult. The novel ends nicely with a lead into the next in the series. I’m interested in reading more of Ben Whittle’s adventures and to explore his relationship with Maddie.
Chandra Claypool (wherethereadergrows)
We open with Geoff staring into the muzzle of a gun, stuck in a tree with his camera and refusing to admit why he's really up there.  "Shoot him," we hear a man say and his somewhat dimwitted sidekick does just that.  He falls out of the tree and then is dragged to The Revelation Room where they have determined he is The Imposter and they must drive the devil out of him.  He finds one window of opportunity and calls his son, Ben, on his watch phone and barely has time to tell him he needs help w ...more
Monica Mac
Jun 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was my very first Mark Tilbury book and it absolutely won't be my last! It was well written and it had me on the edge of my seat for the entire time I was reading it, I just couldn't put it down.

Ben Whittle is just living his life - he is a young man with a bit of a crush on a girl and his life is pretty normal for someone of his age. Until he gets a call from his father who has been taken by a cult. Suddenly Ben finds himself in the middle of all the action, and the cult leader is not som
Eva
May 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
The Revelation Room is the first book in the Ben Whittle Investigation series and is being relaunched by Bloodhound Books. After having read and loved The Abattoir of Dreams a while ago, I was really excited about discovering some of this author’s earlier work and I was not disappointed.

When Ben’s father, a private investigator, goes missing while working on a case of a missing girl, it’s up to Ben to rescue him. There’s just one little problem. Ben isn’t exactly the most confident guy you’ll ev
J.C. Brennan
Jun 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This story begins centered around Ben Whittle. To say Ben lacks confidence is an understatement. He’s awkward, unsure, and touches on annoying but the young man finds the courage to try and help his father. Ben’s father is a private detective who has gone missing while trying to help a girl who joined a bazaar cult.
In his last conversation with his son, Ben’s father told him not to involve the police. Ben doesn’t understand it, but he knows his father wouldn’t have said this without a reason.
B
Maggie
May 19, 2016 rated it liked it
Thanks to Mark Tilbury and THE Book Club for the chance to read and review this book.

Ben Whittle's father goes missing whilst investigating the disappearance of a girl who has joined a strange religious cult. Urged on by his friend Maddie, he reluctantly agree to go in search of him. Maddie is sure that the way to find the girl and Ben's father is for the pair of them to join to. They had little idea of what they were letting themselves in for.

I found the character of Ben very irritating at tim
Beau
Jun 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved this, I recommend you read it! What a twisted individual Ebb is x
Coco.V
Oct 30, 2017 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: freebies
FREE on Amazon today (10/30/2017)!
Craig Gillan
Jun 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Enjoyed reading this book, some great characters that are completely nuts
Alexina Golding
May 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
thrillers
I have read a few books that are linked to cults and I have a fascination with them, how can you bring someone into your group and make them believe and if not believe have enough fear to keep them where they are.
The revelation room has it all going on, I managed to read this in an afternoon/evening. It really was a just one more chapter read, with the ease of being sucked in from the start.

Ben and Maddie undertake to help carry on where Ben's dad couldn't.... and soon find themselves i
Catherine Putsche
Sep 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
“Mark Tilbury’s debut novel is everything I hope for in a gripping psychological thriller and had me turning those pages anxiously throughout the night. I simply couldn’t put it down!”

The story opens with a disturbing telephone call to Ben from his father who has just been captured by members of a religious cult, who go by the name of, The Sons and daughters of Salvation Ben’s father was initially hired to investigate the disappearance of a young woman by the name of Emily, as her parents are in
William Stuart
Jun 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The Revelation Room by Mark Tilbury is a book a found out about on Twitter. Curious about it, I connected with the author and discovered that he is a former submarine sailor (although British and from diesel boats instead of nuclear powered boats) like me. I decided to give it a shot.

Synopsis (from the author): Ben Whittle’s father is a private investigator who has been taken captive by a cult whilst investigating a missing girl. Close to death, he makes a desperate call to Ben for help. He tell
Pat
Aug 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
If you find yourself as confused as I was at the start of this book - don't stop reading. It had great reviews but I thought I'd stumbled onto some YA christian fiction initially and nearly gave up.

It soon turned into a normal but horrific story about a cult gone insane. Ben Whittle and his girlfriend Maddie infiltrate the Sons and Daughters of Salvation to try and find out what happened to Ben's father as he was investigating the cult to find a missing girl. The guy running the show, Father Ebb
Susan Hampson
Apr 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I originally read this book back on 1st January 2016 and loving it just as much this time round now published under Bloodhound Books. This is the first book in the Ben Whittle series by Mark Tilbury.

Well I think this novel had just about everything. It made me read with just one eye open at times, laugh and it had a little romance blossoming too. When shy and insecure Ben receives a desperate phone call from his P.I. dad Geoff, saying he is in grave danger from a cult he is investigating, he kno
Candi Silk
Jun 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Explicit Chilling Storytelling at Its Best!

The Revelation Room begins in humble innocence before all hell breaks loose with the cast of characters penned by author Mark Tilbury in his debut novel.

Tilbury is masterful as he develops his story characters through 331 pages of cascading psychological suspense. The novel is precision-paced as the twisted drama builds and unfolds thrill by thrill. As the characters reveal, in their own dodgy way, underlying motivations and rationalizations for their b
Shell Baker
Jan 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
The Revelation Room is the first book in the Ben Whittle Investigation series. Being a massive fan of psychological thrillers I couldn't wait to get stuck in.Then this book ended up sitting on my TBR pile for way to long. Well what can I say but wow I am impressed, I actually wished I had read it sooner.

So in the story we meet Ben, who is asked for help by his father Geoff After being kidnapped by a dangerous cult and finding himself close to death. Ben is told not to ring the police because ev
Mary
Feb 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
When Ben Whittle’s dad, Geoff, goes missing while investigating the cult, Sons and Daughters of Salvation, Ben knows that he has no other choice but to try and save him without the help of the authorities. Although Ben hadn’t been out in the field with his PI dad before, he’s anxious to get to his dad before the unthinkable can happen. Luckily, his friend Maddie is ready to go along. Finding the cult isn’t the hard part; surviving the cult initiation at the hands of the insane leader, Edward Ebb ...more
Books n All  Jill Burkinshaw
Mar 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

The book is very well written with a realistic story and very unique, realistic characters. The story begins with a PI looking for a girl who has run away to join a religious cult. He is discovered and this sets in motion a sequence of events with tragic consequences.

Ben is the main character and Mark has expertly written this book so that the development and growth of Ben’s character is what makes the book. It is written in a very unique way and it works brilliantly.

Ben i
Lorrie Farrelly
Oct 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
THE REVELATION ROOM by Mark Tilbury is a gritty, nail-biting, thrill ride of a read! When Ben Whittle, an insecure young man who has little confidence in himself, sets out to rescue his ex-police officer father from the clutches of a brutal cult, he and the girl he loves face a danger more terrifying and insidious than anything they could ever have imagined. Overpowered, badly injured, isolated, fearing his girlfriend dead, Ben thinks himself tragically ill-equipped to be a hero. But there is a ...more
P.S. Winn
May 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Geoff Whittle is a private investigator who has been asked to look for a missing girl who might be held captive in a cult. When Geoff's son, Ben Whittle, receives a terrifying call from his dad who is in danger, Ben and a friend, Maddie, or headed off on an adventure that will take them to the Penghilly Farm where some crazy and horrific things are happening, all caused by the leader of the sons and daughter of salvation, Ebb. This is a twisted story that takes the reader on an amazing ride. Not ...more
Elle Klass
May 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The Revelation Room is one heck of a psychological thriller for debut author Mark Tilbury. In the story Ben and Maddie team up to search for Ben’s missing father. Their trail leads them to Edward Ebb and a cult The Sons and Daughters of Salvation. In order to find and save Ben’s father the two join the cult.

Tilbury gives the reader a glimpse into the minds of each character. Amongst the disturbing terror I found myself laughing at Ben and Maddie’s inner thoughts. It’s a glimpse many authors don’
Mark lives in a small village in the lovely county of Cumbria, although his books are set in Oxfordshire where he was born and raised.

After serving in the Royal Navy and raising his two daughters after being widowed, Mark finally took the plunge and self-published two books on Amazon, The Revelation Room and The Eyes of the Accused.

He's always had a keen interest in writing, and is extremely pro

The Ben Whittle Investigations (2 books)
  • The Eyes of the Accused (The Ben Whittle Investigations #2)