Start by marking “Combustion” as Want to Read:
Combustion

Combustion

For explosive chemistry, all you need is the right catalyst…

A war orphan, Astrid Bailey is content living her adult life alone, working as a contract machinist. Her real passion, though, is inventing felicitation devices that promote women’s sexual empowerment and help them find pleasure independent of a man.

The upcoming World’s Fair, with its substantial cash prize, is

Published May 5th 2015 by Samhain Publishing, Ltd.

To ask other readers questions about Combustion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Combustion

Start your review of Combustion
Talk Supe
May 01, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015

I did not expect what I got fromthus novel at all. I think I grabbed this one becahsee it was either tagged fantasy & the cover gave off a steampunk vibe.

it wasn't either of those things, Combustion was more of an historical erotic fantasy with the heroine making vibrators and the whole plot is about Astrid penetrating the rigid and upright market of Britannia. This was a short and entertaining novel. I enjoyed it a lot.
Nicole Prestin
Nov 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, steampunk
Maybe it's because I've been venturing into the hoary territory of free erotic and romantic books on bookbub lately, but this book was a really great palate cleanser from all of the super terrible and laughably bad self-published erotica that I've been reading (or trying to read) lately. There is actually a plot that makes sense! The characters are three dimensional and sympathetic! The sex is actually sexy! The author can string nouns and verbs together in a coherent manner! There is editing! I ...more
Crystal
Apr 22, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: steampunk, erotic
A coworker and I were discussing the wide iteration of erotic romance, and how for every subgenre of writing, there seems to be an erotic version. I jokingly mentioned steampunk, and she googled it, and confirmed--there was steampunk erotic romance. I was curious, although in no hurry to find any. So when I read Purely Professional by Elia Winters, and really enjoyed it, and then I saw that she had a steampunk erotic romance as well, well, it seemed perfect.
Sadly, it wasn't perfect. Combustion
Bookschatter
May 19, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: gfp
3.5 Stars

For this one, first and foremost read the synopsis and warning from the author as it is extremely accurate.
Combustion is an erotic romance with a LOT of scorching hot and detailed sex scenes, F/F and M/F and a LOT of toys - the main character, Astrid, manufactures "felicitation" devices, i.e. vibrators.

This is not a historical romance. No time period is given, and the story appears to be set in an alternative-reality London, in Britannia. You have skyscrapers, trains as well as
Ki
Aug 09, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, ebook, own
This was my first read of any works from Elia Winters and I got to say I enjoyed this short read.

It started off with ladies at an all women meeting who has or wants to expand or start their own businesses and then it got juicy once the “felicitation devices” were introduced. Talk about getting to the point of combustion. *wink wink*

But yes, those devices, gadgets… ahhummm… vibrators was definitely my attention grabber. It did get me thinking about when vibrators really came into use and it was
Book Gannet
2.5 stars. Taking place in an alternative version Victorian England, this is a Steampunk with very minor Steampunk elements about an independent woman with a wild inventive streak and the staid and stuffy businessman who ends up being her partner. Mostly, though, this a book about sex, sex toys and finding plenty of ways to enjoy sex.

The trouble is, I didn’t like Astrid very much. She’s an independent woman who is defensive and prickly and prefers to think the worst of people wherever possible.
Deanna from Deanna's World
I almost didn't finish this book. In fact, I picked it up and put it down so many times, it took me over a week to finish it. That's a crazy long time for such a short book. Morbid curiosity kept me going.

Why did I almost didn't finish the book? I hated the heroine. Thoroughly, thoroughly disliked her. I didn't find one redeeming quality in her at all. Astrid was supposedly a modern day, independent business woman who was strong and sassy, instead she came across as rude, obnoxious, bitchy and
Lynn Smith
Jun 15, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Astrid Bailey was a war orphan. Living her life making felicitation devices. Dreaming of opening her own shop on e day. When Astrid meets Eli Rutledge at the Tea an Talk meeting. She is of two minds, one she is attracted to him and another he sparks her interest in showing her devices at the worlds fair which is coming to Brittania. When she finds out she has to already have a store to get a booth at the fair. She tries to find a way to enter a new invention. She gets Eli to sponsor her and ...more
Ara Prado
Sep 09, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Title: Combustion
Author: Elia Winters
Publication Date: May 5, 2015
Published by: Samhain Publishing
Source: ARC Given by Tour Organizer

ARA'S NOTE:
First I'd like to say that this is not meant for sensitive, conservative, and close-minded readers. There are a a few subjects broached in this book that might make you uncomfortable if you're not used to reading sexed-up stories. But if you're like me, then you would easily enjoy this.

I will give Combustion 4 stars. It's a fast-paced, sexy book with
Kelli Newby
May 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A steampunk heroine who builds clockwork sex toys? A hero who's a bit to stuffy and probably just looking for excuse to let down his guard behind closed doors? What's not to love. This book is ridiculously sexy and fun and I highly recommend it if you're looking for something that's very hot and super sex positive.
Issa
Sep 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars.
Tina
The cover makes one think of steampunk, but the story is really more an erotic historical romance. There is a lot of sex, but also a fairly decent plot.
Jan 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: steampunk, swoony
Charmingly dirty and surprisingly engaging.
Karen
rated it did not like it
Jan 04, 2019
Mserinmc
Dec 14, 2015
Selene Grace Silver
Dec 25, 2015
Elia Winters is a fat, tattooed, polyamorous bisexual who loves petting cats and fighting the patriarchy. She holds a Master’s degree in English Literature and teaches at a small rural high school, where she also runs the drama club. In her spare time, she is equally likely to be found playing tabletop games, kneading bread, cross-stitching, or binge-watching Marie Kondo. A sex educator and ...more