Start by marking “On the Road with Charles Kuralt” as Want to Read:
On the Road with Charles Kuralt

On the Road with Charles Kuralt

"Read Kuralt's words and discover America with him."
UNITED PRESS INTERNATIONAL
He has entertained and informed us about ourselves on television for years. Taking to the highways, he has met the little-known and the famous, and shared them with the rest of us. This heartwarming book reminds us again of some of the extraordinary people he has met over the years in
Published February 7th 1995 by Fawcett (first published January 1st 1985)

To ask other readers questions about On the Road with Charles Kuralt, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about On the Road with Charles Kuralt

Start your review of On the Road with Charles Kuralt
Wendy
Jul 17, 2011 rated it really liked it
I always loved the brief snippets by Charles Kuralt on the Sunday show. Sometimes we would be late to church waiting for his piece to run but didn't get yelled at because my Dad was waiting for the piece to air too; they were that good.

I read this book on my honeymoon in Cabo San Lucas. I vividly remember reading it while lounging in the shallow end of a beautiful pool with a disappearing edge that dropped right into ocean; pure paradise.

The stories in this book were so sweet and be
Heidi
Jan 29, 2010 rated it really liked it
Such a comforting and happy book- the idea of hopping in your car, driving down back roads and through small towns, and discovering wonderful characters and magical places. Boy, am I in the mood for a road trip!
Jerry Rehkemper
Aug 01, 2017 rated it liked it
It is a very short book, which I enjoyed and brought back memories from when I listened to him in the 80's and 90's.
Dbeasley
Feb 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
My family ("Thanksgiving") is featured in this book, so it will always be one of my favorites!
Rini Cobbey
Jul 07, 2017 rated it it was ok
Read through my 2017 eyes, the vignette collection is occasionally sweet, rarely--though not never--provocative, and always repetitive. Besides a few gestures at poverty, which is never confronted, just overcome through good will--none of the stories incorporates conflict. It's a picture of the people on the back roads of the US that is too comfortable in nostalgia and its yearning for authortative, meaningful, cohesive, harmonious pastness: The Past and The Old Ways which must be glorified beca ...more
F
May 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
without meaning to do it Kuralt sums up the mindset difference between legal immigrants and illegal immigrants in Chapter 9, Seasons, the section on July 4th. That alone was worth the price of the book- or, getting it from a library and reading it.
David Horn
May 31, 2013 rated it liked it
This book collects a number of Kuralt's pieces that he prepared for CBS news as he drove around the US looking for interesting stories to tell the news viewing public. One thing Kurlat can do well is tell a story. In the space of two minutes (TV time) he could really paint a picture and this book is full of interesting people and pictures of an America that no longer exists.

My favorite story is about Bill Bodisch, a 68 year old Iowa farmer, who never keen about farming always wanted to sail aro
Carol Merrill
Mar 19, 2009 rated it liked it
I liked this book because of the "feel good" factor. Charles Kuralt traveled around and talked to ordinary people who are always extraordinary in some way, like we all are. This is a collection of stories about some of the people and things that he has encountered. One of my favorite parts, that I always remember, is when a man walks out his front door and is upset that he walked through a spiderweb and got it all over himself. Then it is pointed out, how about the spider who took all day to cre ...more
B.C. Kowalski
Mar 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
It's a great slice of an Americana I think that's gotten lost. Charles Kuralt had a knack for teasing out those great feature stories. Sure, he's cherry picking the good parts, but it's nice reading these stories of people self-sacrificing, or just quirky. The photography in the book is horrendous, and you'll often think you wish you could get a good look at the people he's talking to. And sometimes the fact that these are transcripts of TV segments mean it can occasionally be missed an importan ...more
Anne M
Nov 03, 2007 rated it liked it
This was a light read, very pleasant. Kuralt is a nice person to spend a few hours with. Not to be read with serious literature in mind, but rather a relaxing visit with a warm, thoughtful companion who shares his adventures.
Ann
Nov 06, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009
While I like listening to Kuralt's vignettes, this was a little different. It did not read as essay rather was just a written transcript of some of his interviews. But I love reading about the places he's been and things he's seen.
Dave
A re-cap of Charles Kuralt's TV vignettes. I always loved his "On the Road" stories on CBS. I could hear Charles talking as I read this book.
Patrick Shryock
Mar 23, 2008 rated it really liked it
Yet another great traveling book.
Ian
Aug 15, 2011 rated it liked it
Nice little read. A look back on the way things used be done in TV News. Some good points on writing and perceiving..but NOT ENOUGH on the why's and how's of things. A wistful read.
Jenifer
Feb 27, 2015 rated it it was ok
Meh. Skimmed most of it. I think I'm just not the audience for this vignette-style, feel-good type of reading. Maybe if you love the Reader's Digest this would be your thing.
Jan
Feb 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Even though this book is a little dated it was an interesting look into the backroads and people of America...
Bronwyn
Jan 09, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned
his life on the road, and the people and things he saw during his career
Claire
Jun 02, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
Sweet snippets of stories from his show. Charles Kuralt was a sweet man.
Kim
Mar 29, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thoroughly enjoyed this book. Chrles Kuralt is a fantastic story teller! Enjoyed going along on his adventure!
Vickie Chandler
Oct 30, 2015
Martha Z
Mar 19, 2010
Paula
rated it did not like it
May 24, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• Wishbones (Sarah Booth Delaney, #8)
  • Bones of a Feather (Sarah Booth Delaney, #11)
  • Iron Lake (Cork O'Connor, #1)
  • The Perfect Wife (Jessie Hunt #1)
  • Stop Saying You're Fine: Discover a More Powerful You
  • Warden of Time (After Cilmeri, #8)
  • Avoiding Fate Book 12 (Life After War)
  • Raising Your Spirited Child: A Guide for Parents Whose Child is More Intense, Sensitive, Perceptive, Persistent, and Energetic
  • Fallout: The Vault Dweller's Official Cookbook
  • Shattered (Alaskan Courage, #2)
  • A Horse to Love: An Enchanted Stables Story (Disney Princess)
  • The “I Love My Instant Pot®” Free Holiday Menu: From Maple Dill Carrots and Spiced Applesauce to Cherry-Rosemary Pork Tenderloin and Festive Fruitcake, ... Dishes--Made Easy! ("I Love My" Series)
  • The Elder Scrolls: The Official Cookbook
  • The Walking Dead Survivors' Guide: Collected Edition
  • The Little Engine That Could
  • Ketogenic diet - Keto Crock Pot Cookbook: Easy and Healthy Low Carb Recipes for Your Slow Cooker to Lose Weight and Get Healthy (Keto Clarity and Weight Loss Solution)
  • The Prisoner's Key (Glass and Steele, #8)
  • Top 30 Easy Vegetarian Slow Cooker Recipes for Busy Women: Set It and Forget It (First Vegetarian Recipes Cookbook for Busy Women Vol. 2)
Charles Kuralt was an award-winning American journalist. He was most widely known for his long career with CBS, first for his "On the Road" segments on The CBS Evening News with Walter Cronkite, and later as the first anchor of CBS News Sunday Morning, a position he held for fifteen years.

Kuralt's "On the Road" segments were recognized twice with personal Peabody Awards. The first, awarded in 1968, cit