Start by marking “Hollow Man” as Want to Read:
Hollow Man

Hollow Man

(Hollow Man #1)

Dominic is a prosecutor, a musician, and an Englishman living in Texas. He's also a psychopath. His main goal is to hide his condition and lead a seemingly normal life in hopes to pay off his debts and become a full-time musician in Austin's  club scene. But on one lousy day his carefully-controlled world starts to shatter: he's demoted at work and accused of stealing a fe ...more
Published September 1st 2015 by Seventh Street Books

To ask other readers questions about Hollow Man, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hollow Man

Meredith
Jul 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
Dominic is a sociopath who is having a really bad day: he learns of the death of his parents, gets a demotion, and is accused of stealing a fellow musician's song. On this awful day, he is presented with an opportunity to participate in a robbery...He uses his anti-empath skills to control the stakes in the game. Not only does Dominic manipulate those around him, he also does a great job of manipulating the reader!

I really enjoyed reading Hollow Man--if you like psychological thrillers and getti
Larry
Sep 01, 2015 rated it it was ok
Have read all of Mark Pryor's Hugo Marsden novels and really enjoyed them, a very well written series. I was looking forward to enjoying his stand alone but.....not so much. This book has been compared to Girl on the Train and Gone Girl, both of which I really abhorred. I thought perhaps I had a problem with "Girl" books, I now realize that maybe I don't enjoy "psychological thrillers".....they creep me out. I probably just need to stick to white bread boring "procedural murder mysteries".
Linda
Jun 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
What I liked about this book:
It was short. 268 pages. It was different. It was interesting. And it snuck up on me to be a pretty good book.

Dominic came to the states as a young boy from England with his parents. They knew he was different. They did what they could to help him. It didn’t work.

Grown up now, living in Austin Texas, Dominic receives a call from a solicitor in England. “Your parents have died,” informs the kindly gentleman. But Dominic, is devoid of emotion. Even this news cannot c
Martina
Jun 08, 2015 marked it as to-read
A standalone from the author of the Hugo Marston series. We loved The Bookseller when the Mystery Book Group read it, and many have followed the series as it developed. Now something new to enjoy!

Had a little reading time so started Hollow Man. Oh my, but this has great possibilities. I was feeling the creepies in the first two chapters! :} Not claiming 'currently reading' as there is so much going on I have little time to read. Have to say, though, that the little I did read makes me want to sp
Wendy
Aug 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Fascinating! I didn't see the ending coming and I loved it.
Jessica
Dec 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
Thanks to Prometheus Books for the copy in exchange for my honest review.

We are introduced to Dominic. He's the perfect anti-hero lead character for a new twist on a crime series/thriller. HOLLOW MAN by Mark Pryor introduces us to Dominic - he's an Englishman living in Texas and he's a prosecutor, a musician, and a psychopath. He wants to live a seemingly normal life without that secret getting out.

Dominic is trying to lead a normal life. He just wants to pay off his debts and follow his true pa
Joanna Elm
Dec 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I’m a sucker for any thriller that features a sociopath or psychopath. So, The Hollow Man appeared to be right up my alley. What a surprise this novel was! A very interesting and entertaining tale told from the first-person POV of Dominic, an admitted sociopath who like many socio/psychopaths can present a very normal face to the outside world. And, in this novel he does just that, working in the district attorney’s office in Austin, Texas and on the side, playing guitar in various bars and venu ...more
J.L. Aarne
Sep 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I haven't read any other books by this author so I didn't go into this one expecting anything. I really enjoyed it. It was funny and fun and I really liked that the ending managed to surprise me a little. That's not easy to do with a first person narrative, so that was brilliant. I've read books with first person narration that try to surprise you and they just end up reminding me a lot of that shitty ending to American Beauty where the narrator turns out to have been dead the whole time. I like ...more
Bonnie
Mar 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016
Dominic is a DA in Austin, Texas - and as he declares from the start, a psychopath. He experiences a day from hell. A British barrister calls to tell him that his parents have died - and that their farm and acreage is in heavy debt. At his job, his DA position - that he enjoys - is lost - as he is assigned to juvenile court - part of the system's expected rotation through units. Dominic is a musician - playing for opening acts in the Autstin music scene. Then, a club owner fires him because anot ...more
Liz Homick
May 12, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2016
More like 3.5 stars.

This thriller novel was suspenseful, fast paced, and freshly unique. Pryor created such a well thought out story with out of nowhere twists and turns that had me guessing the whole time. Although its start was a bit slow and dull, its ending was perfect and tied the story together in a nice bow (See what I did there?). A little vulgar for my taste but overall a great murder mystery that will have you gasping for breathe until the very last words.
Nicola McRae
Jul 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book. First time I have read any work from Mark Pryor and will definitely look for more from him.

I was lucky to receive an Advance Reading Copy and enjoyed every moment of this book.

Great at setting the atmosphere and I hope there will be more to come in this series.
Judy LeBlanc
Aug 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Interesting premise, a person you should by rights not like but he grows on you. The man likes to twist things around to his way of thinking. Great plot, totally different from what I expected. Excellent read for the fall.
Anne
Dec 05, 2017 rated it it was ok
This book was just “meh” for me. It was an easy read but the plot wasn’t as engaging as I thought it would be.

The writing wasn’t an issue...I just wish there was more to all of the characters. They were too unlikeable.

For a mystery/suspense novel, it was WAY too predictable.
Libby
Jul 16, 2015 rated it it was ok
I love Pryor's other books and was excited to see this book of his I had not read. Unfortunately, it just was not my cup of tea...good plot, but could not find a character to hang on to.
Lara Pearson
Oct 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Started a bit slowly but I loved that it was set in Austin and even featured Saxon Pub which they cleverly changed to Norman Pub. A very slick whodunit. Might check out Mark Pryor's other books.
Lindsay
Jan 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Thank you to Seventh Street Books for sending me a free copy of this book in exchange for my honest review. All opinions are my own.
Dominic is a dynamic man: he is a prosecutor, a musician on the side, he's English and he's a psychopath. He lacks the emotions that other people have, but has worked hard meld himself into society. In Hollow Man, Dominic is faced with a necessary shift at work, however it ends up being a demotion for him. Then he finds out that the club he plays music at part-time
Sandra
Aug 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love this author's books...fantastic writing! I couldn't put it down and didn't until it was finished late last night. A psychological portrait that is dark, sneaky and definately twisted. It's set in Texas, and the main character, Dominic is a prosecutor, a musician, and an Englishman. He's also a psychopath. (from the back cover).

From Amazon:

His main goal is to hide his condition and lead a see
Joan
Feb 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Review of Advance Reading Copy

In Austin, Texas, British émigré Dominic works for the district attorney’s office. His outlet, if you will, is playing his guitar in the local clubs.

On this day, Fate has conspired against Dominic: first, an unexpected and unwanted transfer to a position that will earn him a lower salary; then, an accusation of stealing someone else’s music bars him from playing in any of the local clubs.
He meets an enigmatic woman, and becomes involved in a robbery plot with the p
Charles
Jan 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
A very unexpected read. You know who the bad guy is at the outset - an admitted psychopath/sociopath who has learned to "control" himself and utilize his special skills to get through life without most people suspecting him or what he is. A psychopathic music loving, guitar playing DA? What harm could be possibly do?

You just dont know how manipulative and bad he is. In fact, you cruise along kind of liking him. I think at our core a lot of us are/would like to be a little bit like him. You wont
R.L.
Mar 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
I've read a few of Mark Prior's novels and enjoyed them so much. This one I had a hard time getting into it. I kept putting it down. But because I trust Mark can write a good story I picked it up again time and time again. I finally figured out that I hated the main character the lawyer who is the Hollow Man. I didn't like him and didn't care about what he thought or did. About three-quarters of the way through the book I realized that I could no longer put the book down and I finished it within ...more
Peter
Jan 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Psychopath, Dominic, is an Englishman, re-located to Austin, Texas, as a prosecutor. His involvement in a robbery instigated by a fellow-musician friend, who soon chickens out, leads to a couple of dead bodies and his two accomplices and others may have to be sacrificed for Dominic’s freedom. His self-acknowledged lack of empathy is interestingly evident and the story really hums along obscuring a few inelegant aspects of the plot. His gradually unveiled past life fits his condition and the reso ...more
Kim
Jul 22, 2018 rated it liked it
Just couldn't get into this storyline ...interesting concept about getting into the mind of a psychopath ....but it didn't draw me in like I thought it would . Probably more of it not being my style then the quality of the book so I can't completely knock it .....like i said the idea makes a great premise for a novel.Wish I could have liked it more ....but if you are looking for a different point of view than a hero's .....than this is a good choice. I've never read this point of view before so ...more
ᴡᴡᴡ.Samantha.18sexy.pw
Uhhh... this book was not very good. There were absolutely no characters to root for. I didn’t really see the point of the story - not to trust a psychopath? A sociopath? Or whatever he identifies as.

I don’t know. I honestly didn’t care what happened to the main characters and his buddies with the capitol murder.
Corinne Johnston
I've been immersing myself in Mark Pryor's Hugo Marston series and was interested to see what else he could do. This book, whilst mystery in style, had a main character who did not endear himself to me at all, and at times I thought of ditching it but I'm glad I persevered. Not a great book, but an interesting read about a personality not always easily described in novels.
Barbara Fraley
Feb 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
told from the point of view of a psychopath who studies the emotions of others so that he can emulate them when needed. he is a prosecutor in Austin, texas and engineers a heist with 2 other people. it was to be simple, but nothing is simple and in texas murder is the death penalty. you have to read this book to see who the guilty party is.
Rob Drummond
Apr 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Not your typical mystery.

A sociopathic assistant district attorney as a protagonist, or is it antagonist? Mark Pryor’s rendition of cops and prosecutors, as well as the atmosphere of Austin, Texas, is spot on. The plot and narrative perspective draw you in, and the twist at the end is really well executed.
Carl H. Elmgren
Well written with good character development. Fun read, slow initially, then quick almost like a movie. Interesting psychopath, I could relate to on some non-criminal levels (LOL).

Not a Michael Connelly type mystery, rather a recollection with some humor. I really cannot say anything else without spoiling the read, but they require twenty words. So, there, done my part.
Barbara Villegas
Jan 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book was written from the criminal’s perspective. I hadn’t read a book in this style, but it was intriguing. I just wish the author had not waited until the last chapter to reveal several important clues. All in all an interesting concept. I’m on the list to read his next novel.
Deborah
Aug 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Wow, and this author is local!!! This was so twisty and turny, you kinda never knew where it was going. So different from his other series, and so INTERESTING!! As he stated in his visit to a local book club, the girl is always "the girl" and the protaganist, well... he is "different"...
Sara
Oct 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Pryor writes in the voice of a closet sociopath, Dominic, and his exploration of this state of mind is useful in these days when even presidents are possibly sociopaths.
He makes this voice human and even enables us to sympathize (a bit) with his state of being.
It's quite a feat, even though the cast of characters in the Marston series is much more enjoyable.
This series is entertaining, memorable, complex, but it does not have the depth of the very best writing in this genre. I enjoy Pryor's bo