Start by marking “Chickpeas: Sweet and Savory Recipes from Hummus to Dessert” as Want to Read:
Chickpeas: Sweet and Savory Recipes from Hummus to Dessert

Chickpeas: Sweet and Savory Recipes from Hummus to Dessert

Hummus: the delicious, nutritious treat!

With more than seventy recipes included, Hummus offers everything from spreads to dips to entrees. Concoct a dish perfect for any occasion, with recipes ranging from a snack of buttery-flavored spread with pine nuts to a refreshing salad with oranges and clementines—perfect for Sunday brunch.

Spice up your mea
Published February 2nd 2016 by Imagine

To ask other readers questions about Chickpeas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chickpeas

Start your review of Chickpeas: Sweet and Savory Recipes from Hummus to Dessert
Gary
Sep 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
Not a category I normally cover but felt drawn to it due to my love of Hummus. This book contains approximately seventy Chick pea recipes all of which are well laid out accompanied by excellent photographs. Just thumbing through the book gets your taste buds salivating and wanting to try them out.

Although I am personally a vegetarian I found plenty of recipes that were ideal for me or could be easily adjusted to accommodate my dietary preferences. My one niggle really was the books i
Serena
Feb 21, 2018 rated it did not like it
Beware: many recipes are mislabeled as vegan or vegetarian. The vegan Sibich has eggs, which means it's not vegan. The vegan Cumin Bulgur Patty Wraps have greek yoghurt, so they too are not actually vegan. The vegetarian Fish Burger has fish in it, so it is not vegetarian. The recipes look fine and the photos are nice, but it seems pretty irresponsible to publish something with such blatant errors. It's especially troubling because the book correctly defines vegan and vegetarian on page 9 when e ...more
Cynthia Corral
Sep 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
I received an advance copy of this from NetGalley in exchange for a fair review.

This book really surprised me. I lived on a vegan diet for many years so I am no stranger to chickpeas or chickpea flour (MMmmmm). I was also pretty sure I’ve eaten every variation of chickpeas and chickpea flour ever to have been invented. But I was wrong!

I was also wrong about an original assumption I had about this book: this is not a vegan cookbook. It’s not even a vegetarian cookbook. Veg
Stephen Heverin
Aug 12, 2017 rated it liked it
Overall OK. There were a few interesting ideas within the recipes, but there was a lot of basically adding in chickpeas to things you might not usually do. (e.g. meatballs, pasta bolognese, etc...) It was a decent balance between using chickpeas and chickpea flour. Overall looking for more creative uses like the sweet potato patties and the chocolate brownies.
roxi Net
Jul 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: roxicook, roxiown
I honestly never thought of how versatile chickpeas could be and I absolutely love chickpeas!

So many great ideas to try out and (drooling right now) I can't wait! I know of a few others who love chickpeas as much as I do and this will make such a great gift!
Online Eccentric Librarian
Dec 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, cookbook, non-fiction

More reviews (and no fluff) on the blog http://surrealtalvi.wordpress.com/

What we have with Chickpeas is a beautifully presented cookbook with a very sophisticated list of recipes. Neither health nor vegetarian oriented (though recognizing both within), this is designed to provide a variety of uses for the chickpea - some exotic, others variations on a theme (e.g., hummus), but all quite interesting and well presented. Yes, this is definitely a cookbook for those who like to cook and explore - it has some of the most original
Lu (Sugar & Snark)
Sep 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: new-netgalley
Chickpeas have always been a thing of mystery to me. I have never cooked with it and the only way I have ever consumed it was in hummus form – in copious amounts I might add. So when I saw this cookbook up for review, I just had to request a copy! Chickpeas are a super legume that is rich in iron, folate and other vitamins and nutrients! They also have a low glycemic index. All of which made me super excited to see the recipes!

My only complaint would be quite a few recipes that rely on meat, but other tha
Sue
Mar 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Chef Einat Mazor discovered her daughter has Celiac disease and while the family adjusted to her dietary needs, Mazor's professional career took a powerful turn as well. According to Charlesbridge website, Mazor caters "beautiful events in New York and New Jersey; offering an organic allergy free baked goods and desserts to client with special dietary needs." Since then she has authored three books on gluten-free cooking and baking.

This newest book, Chickpeas: Sweet and Savory Recipe
Emmaline MacBeath
Oct 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
SUMMARY: This is a cookbook that shows you ways to prepare chickpeas in a variety of delicious and nutritious ways from appetizers to soups and everything in between and ending with desserts. There are some old favorites here such as hummus and crunchy chickpea snacks. But there are also plenty of new and creative recipes including oldies dressed up in new styles such as beet hummus and guacamole hummus. There are lots of beautiful, mouth watering pictures along the way to inspire you.
Sharon
Oct 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I was given an electronic copy by Charlesbridge and NetGalley, in exchange for an honest review.

Chickpeas: Sweet and Savory Recipes from Hummus to Dessert contains wonderful tips and helpful hints, along with excellent visual representations of many of the recipes. This book contains all of the classic Mediterranean recipes that you would expect, including Hummus, Baba Ganoush, and Falafel Balls. However, the author has intermixed the old with many exciting new recipes. The recipes a
Lili
Oct 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
From Netgalley for a review:

You really can't go wrong with chickpeas, I am pretty sure I have always liked every dish I have had with them (my favorite being hummus and curries) so a cookbook devoted to it seemed like my kinda party.

I really liked that it had lots of pictures of the finished dishes, this will more or less make or break a cookbook for me, I need pictures because I am a lousy cook, plus I love looking at pictures of food. The recipes are all labelled with v
Fiona
Jun 29, 2016 rated it liked it
Not the typical genre I go for but I like chickpeas so I checked this out from the library. I'm a visual person so picture is the first thing I look for in a cookbook. Most recipes are accompanied with a colorful picture but not all. The instruction for each dish is clear and average about 5 steps each. I see a few interesting recipes that really highlight the use of chickpeas, however, I'm not as impress with some dishes such as soups and salad with a few chickpeas thrown in. I like how the aut ...more
Sue McQuaide Kitt
Oct 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley-tbr
What attracted me to this recipe book was the fact that my family is a huge lover of hummus and also that my daughter has recently become a vegetarian and I am always on the lookout for new and healthy recipes for her.
I found the introduction short and informative, just the way I like it.
Who knew that there is so much that can be done with the simple chickpea and just how many different ways to prepare it. I am looking forward to trying many of these recipes from the dips to the hamb
Heather Brown
Oct 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Heather by: Netgalley
Shelves: cookbooks
With my older daughter a recent vegetarian, 'Chickpeas' is a timely addition to my shelves. I am very excited to learn more recipes that we can share. Chickpeas are a great addition to anyone's repertoire, being full of essential nutrients and a decent source of protein. They can be used whole, pureed, or as a flour. Einat Mazor has collected a ton of great recipes utilizing chickpeas in their many forms, from Classic Hummus to Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting. The Moroccan Soup with Pita ...more
Natasha du Plessis
Sep 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
Chickpeas : Sweet and Savory is truly an inspiration for persons in need of chickpea recipes. The introduction was very informative. There was a nice division between recipes as well as good classifications eg - vegan, vegetarian as well as gluten free. I loved the full colour photo's. and the clear instuctions. The ingredients are easily sourced. Thanks to Netgally for giving me the opportunity to review this cookbook.
Aleece
Dec 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
This was a very interesting twist on cookbooks and cooking. There were a lot of interesting recipes that go well beyond hummus some more surprising than others. A good purchase if you enjoy chickpeas or trying something new.

I received this advanced copy from Imagine through Netgalley in exchange for my honest review.
Scott Vine
Dec 03, 2015 rated it liked it
Are there really that many uses for chickpeas? It seems if you include chickpea flower, then , yes, there is. Some great recipe ideas in this handy little book.
Leonard
Jul 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
Another small but fine cookbook with recipes based on chickpeas or chickpea flour. Sure would love to try a few of these also.
Emily