Start by marking “Zodíaco (Zodíaco, #1)” as Want to Read:
Zodíaco (Zodíaco, #1)

Zodíaco

(Zodiac #1)

3.73  ·  Rating details ·  9,617 ratings  ·  1,715 reviews
En el amanecer de los tiempos

Había 13 Casas en la Galaxia del Zodíaco.

Ahora solo quedan 12…

Rhoma Grace, una estudiante de 16 años proveniente de la Casa de Cáncer, tiene una forma inusual de leer las estrellas: indaga historias en el cielo en vez de seguir los pasos para realizar predicciones certeras. Y no puede resolver la incógnita ni para salvar su vida.
Cuando una violenta/>Ahora/>Había
Published April 1st 2015 by Del Nuevo Extremo (first published December 9th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Zodíaco, please sign up.
Romina Russell I do! My contract is for three ZODIAC books, and at the moment I'm working on #2 in the series. Thanks! xoxo
Romina Russell Hi! The sequel to ZODIAC, Wandering Star, releases in early December. <3 Thanks for asking! xoxoxo

·  9,617 ratings  ·  1,715 reviews

Start your review of Zodíaco (Zodíaco, #1)
Erica Ravenclaw
☆ ☆

No spoilers and colorful language abound! I received this ARC from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

DNF at 65% because...

photo anigif_enhanced-buzz-23018-1416511759-11_zpscs60bqxe.gif
Are you thinking about reading this book? Well, let's just get right down to business, shall we?

WARNING this book contains a love triangle.

WARNING this book contains a speshual 16 year old snowflake goddess out to savewe?
WARNING

Sandra
RATINGC+

Review2

We're forbidden from dating - or loving, or marrying, or even kissing - each other.

If you were a sane person, would you have these thoughts when YOU know that the entire world you know is falling apart?

Would you?

I am angry. I am very angry.

RATINGC+

Review2

Would you?

I am angry. I am very angry.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Let's just start with that.

I loved this book. Loved. I loved the first half of this book. I would have defend this book for all its misses on the first half. I would tell them all the good things about it. I would tell them that the world-building of this book is just brilliant and unique and absolutely magnificent. I cannot begin to tell you guys, but… but.. THE SECOND HALF OF THE BOOK HAPPENED!!!!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Oh god I want to rip the pages of my book to pieces!

I am very, very upset.

Gist

The story stars with Rho. Our special little snowflake. Who I actually thought was deserving to be a special little snowflake. knfksdgnakfgakf!!!

Okay... Going back.

Rho has been reading bad omens from the stars. And when she read for her final exams, what she saw was no different.
Then the vision appears - the same vision I've been seeing for a week now; a smoldering black mass, barely distinguishable from Space, pressing into the atmosphere past the Twelfth House, Pisces. Its influence seems to be warping our Crab constellation out of shape.

But of course, no one listened to her. These adults think because they're older than her, she would not be able to read anything right. They accused her taking nonsense.
"How many times do we have to tell you, Rho? Your clever theories and imaginative stories have no place in astrological science."

I don't blame them for being skeptical because she doesn't even use the material she was supposed to be using to read the stars. It's called an Astralator if I'm not mistaken. Why doesn't she use it? Because she's fucking special. Yeah. And I was okay with it, at the time.

Anyways. Back to the story.

Then she brushed it off. She was like. Okay. No one wants to listen to me. Fine. So she went off with her friends. They were going to perform that night in front of a crowd. She's a drummer of their band. (see. she's special and talented) They were going to start performing on stage when a something hit the moon they were in. It was a disaster. A lot of people died of course. Bodies were floating around.
Bodies are everywhere. Floating past each other peacefully, three or four feet above the ground. None of them have woken up.

Rho and her friends were still disoriented with what happened. But Lodestar Mathias (the guy our main protagonist has her googly eyes on) found them and took them to a ship that would take them back to Cancer.

So each Houses of the Zodiac has their own Guardian. The Guardian of Cancer has just passed away. Guess who they chose take her place?

Untitled-1

Rho

I hate this girl. I hate her so much. I hate her more than I hate Celaena. I didn't like Celaena, but at least she was using her brain and not her emotions all the time. Rho was a freaking special flower. She knew how to do everything. She could do everything without even struggling. Coincidentally, her mom trained her to be this special girl who could do a lot of stuff no one else can, like read the stars without a Astralator.
"Surprise registers in his indigo blue-eyes. He knows me. Warmth spread through my skin, like I'm being bathed in the light of Helios again."

Can you guess which page this passage is from? Page number 7. Fucking page 7 and I already see an insta-love. I actually disputed this with a friend of mine who read the book with me and I said no, it isn't exactly insta-love. Because she already had a crush on him before or something. But after the story progressed, especially towards the ending, she mentioned something about loving him since she was a kid of something and that just really threw me off. I hated that.

I could take perfection in characters just fine. I wasn't pissed that Rho was a freakin' Mary Sue. That wasn't my issue with her. My issue with her character was how boy crazy she was. I hated that shit. I did not like it in any books. Add love triangle to the mix and it is a recipe for disaster. This book proved it. It also proved that no matter how amazing your story is, or how fantastic the world you created is, if your main character is too weak or is genuinely annoying, a book would end up being terrible.

And don't get me started with the cheating. Oh mfo... I hated that. I hated that she doesn't know how she feels completely for one that she has to try and test who she really wants.

F*ck you Rho really.

Matias

What can i say? I didn't like this guy at all. I never liked him on the first part, didn't like him towards the middle, and in the end, I still didn't like him.

His character was so flat and boring. I can't feel any sympathy for him at all. I don't get why he is so cold and uncaring. Probably because like all the other older people in this book, they don't respect the opinions of anyone younger than them. I think Matias suffers from that too.

Hysan

He is the only character in this entire book that I was able to really like. He was this smart, funny, and a very supportive type of character. He was almost too perfect. And I wasn't complaining. If it wasn't for Hysan, I would have really really really hated this book. He reminds me of Nikolai from the Grisha Trilogy. If you have read that book, you'll understand why I like Hysan.

Romance

If you hate love triangles and insta-love, you might want to pass this book up. The romance in this book was so terrible. I wish this part of the story just got cut off because, i think it wasn't necessary. This book was already good without the complication of a love triangle.

Oh and there would be cheating too. I hated that so much! I can take love triangles. I can take insta-love. But I would never ever think it's okay to sleep with someone and realises you want the other guy, then kisses him all in one day.

No. Just no.

World Building

The world that the author made for this book was phenomenal! I can't even begin to say how fantastic and expansive it was. It was so unique. I don't think I have ever read anything like it. I was enchanted by this whole world in the galaxy where people were sort of segregated by the Houses of the Zodias. Our main character is from Cancer, then you mean other people from Gemini, Virgo and all the other houses.

Also the mythology of each Houses about the bad guy was just so... great! I loved really how each and every Houses has their own character, based on the Zodiac signs. It was so good. I loved it.

Setting

Zodiac was set in outer space. Humans no longer live on earth. They are now living in another part of the galaxy where instead of living in different countries, they belong to different Houses of the Zodiac. And each houses, had their own unique thing.

I loved everything about this the setting, just like with the world building. This was also well thought out and executed very well. I liked how detailed everything was in regards to the place and also the type of people who are living on that specific place.

What I loved

* The world building was where this book was the strongest. I would rate this book an A+ without a doubt, if I solely rate it on that aspect.

* The settings were beautifully done. The author made me feel like I was really actually there with the characters.

* The pace was fast. There was never a dull moment (even when the main character was being ridiculously stupid)

* The author's writing style was something I was able to easily get into.

* The villain was pretty good too. He was a presence that wasn't there all the time, but you know he's there. He was menacing that way.

What I didn't love

* A too-stupid-to-live main character. She was really the main reason I rated this book lower than it deserved because her character wrecked everything this book was trying to accomplish. She did not deserve anything at all.

* The romance. I love my romance in books, but when it's written so badly, it would really throw me off the entire story. And this one did just that. I hated how the main character focused more on her love life than anything else. That was just fucked up. I hated that.

* The adults here were all stubborn morons. I hated how they all stick to what they know because they're older. That is such a bad trope to use in a book like this. I felt that these older people were more of the villain in the story rather than the main villain who was actually causing the chaos from the background. These people who thinks they know better because they're older are what was causing their world to crumble. I guess that was the point of the story, but still, I didn't like it.

* This book suffered from the missing parent syndrome. Both her parents were absent, except from the prologue.

* There wasn't really any explanation why Rho's mother taught her the things she knew. It was all very convenient that she her mum taught her all of these things. But there was never really any explanation on why her mum taught her stuff. At least as far as I remember

finalthoughts

This book broke my heart.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

I really loved this so much and I think that is why it bothers me and upset me so much! I actually thought this was going to be a great book. I still thought of that even at around 45% in. There were issues with the main character which were tolerable on the first half, but the next half was so godawful.

Would I recommend this book, not really. Because despite my addiction to the entire world the author made, I just could not recommend reading about a character like Rho. I just could not. I just really wished this was better. I really did want to love this book. The author was pretty nice in commenting on my post about it on Instagram so it's a shame I had to rate her book lower than 3 stars.
Alyssa

Book One of the Zodiac series
Publisher: Razorbill
Publication Date: December 9, 2014
Rating: 4 stars
Source: ARC sent by the publisher

Sophia Sardothien
OKAY *Takes deep breath* here we go *sniff*

I always found horoscopes, astrology and similar stuff interesting but I never really get a chance to read much about it, therefore I'm utmost excited when I heard about this book before BEA which I never get a chance to go cries anyway it was in my MOST ANTICIPATED BOOKS OF 2014 I was dying to read this I even set up a count down to the day it release.

Note to future self
Do not hold high expectations with books, sometimes it will end up disapp
Erin Lynn
In accordance to FTC guidelines, I must state that I received a free galley copy of this book through the Goodreads First Reads program.

Romina Russell's debut novel, Zodiac, is both out of this world fantastic and stellar. Trust me and the bad puns - you don't want to miss this book. Ms. Russell creates a new kind of world in the science fiction genre that both teens and adults will want to explore for years to come.

In the first book of the proposed trilogy, Russell introduces readers to a
Ashleigh
Mar 11, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read as digital ARC.

3 Word Summary: Space travel--clever.

I'm super into made-up cultures, which is what drew me to Zodiac in the first place. I mean, four houses in Harry Potter--interesting, five factions in Divergent--nice, 12 freaking houses in Zodiac---YESSSSS. Truth be told, I was hoping for more interaction among the signs. (Aka, I'm Aquarius, and I want to be represented by a main character...) But, turns out a big part of the book is that the houses aren't united,
Rachel  (APCB Reviews)
Initial Thoughts: Ooh this one was good! Awesome world-building. Great concept. Exciting. This is what a space book should be like!!

Read the full review @ A Perfection Called Books

Review:

The concept of this book really shined through and made me enjoy Zodiac. The concepts and ideas imagined by the author were extraordinary. I was so caught up in it all. It was so innovative and so very fun and interesting.

Although a bit green, I thought the writing was quite good. There were tw
Maria Drago
WARNING: Very minor spoilers ahead. View at your own discretion. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

First off: Awesome ending! Totally thought her brother was gone, but then; NOPE. He's alive! Phew! They had me going for a second there.
Anyways, Zodiac was way better than I thought It'd be. I'm usually not into all the space-y stuff, but I actually liked this book. It could've used a little more action, but eh, no book is perfect. I find that fans of Cinder by Marissa Meyer and maybe Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo m
Riley
The world in this book was brilliantly constructed but with the amount of info packed into this book and the disconnect I felt towards the characters this book fell flat for me. However after getting to speak with the author I am much more excited for the second book and what is to come for the characters and the development of the story.
Adele
Another sci-fi book that has so much potential….

THAT IT TOTALLY FILLED! Let me tell you, I was soo skeptic about reading Zodiac. Im really glad I got the chance to read it. Not only is Zodiac really unique and interesting, from the first page I was -literally- pulled into this story. And Zodiac is soo action packed, its crazy. Crazy good. I couldn’t put the book down!

Zodiac really takes the who House thing seriously. Like, Russell took our zodiac signs and personified the
Justine
Jan 15, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018-read
I actually quite enjoyed this book by the end, although I thought the writing was a tiny bit juvenile. I do plan to read the next book, so I'm hoping that bar gets raised just a tad.

There is a love triangle in this one that plays a significant role in the story, so if that's a trope that annoys you, obviously you should steer clear. It's not something that bothers me. I liked the personal growth the three characters experienced through their interactions with each other.
Carrie Mansfield
This review will be available on my blog: http://wp.me/p32oat-XM

Okay, I generally make it a point to not review ARCs this far out in advance (yeah, this comes out in December, sorry peeps) but since I won it in a blog-giveaway and there was something about the cover that kept intriguing me about it, I decided to just go for it and read it now.

Wow. I was really surprised by this. In all the right ways.

I admit it: I thought this sounded a bit cheesy when I first rea
Kamalia
Dec 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

description

"You were born for this. I should have told you every day."

I bought this book without really planning to. One of my friends loved it so much and recommended it, and i was especially interested when she said that the main character's zodiac is Cancer. Seeing as I'm also a Cancer, I was excited to discover how much i would be able to relate to the main character, and also learn about the different zodiacs. In a nutshell, i love this book! I'm pretty sure Zodiac or its sequel will make it into my top 10
Regina Foo
This review is also posted on: http://wp.me/p5m5jd-6f

Disclaimer: This copy of printed ARC is obtained from the publisher in exchange of my honest review.

This is definitely my most favourite book of 2014! Brilliantly written with its Science Fiction (space) and High Fantasy (innovative invention of the world based on Zodiac system) elements, Romina will blow your mind away with this book!

The world of Zodiac is set in a future era when humans live in 12 Houses in the Zodiac Galaxy after
Suzanne
Nov 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Captivating, fast, well-written with characters that hold your attention and interest as soon as you start the book. The pacing of the story is great, almost as soon as you start wondering if there might be too much novelty about the worlds to figure out, something big and recognizable happens and the reader is swept up in the fast pace of events that are understandable and emotionally believable. I loved this book and could not put it down. I'm a big fan of classic space series and have a modes ...more
Lainey
Oct 14, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I knew after finishing ZODIAC I would need a few days to figure out what I wanted to rate it and after thinking, discussing with friends, and discussing the book with the author, Romina Russell, I decided on a 4/5 star.

This book really transported me into a world I haven't read before. This world is big, and I can't wait to see what some of the other Houses look like in future books. Our main character Rho, felt like a weaker character to me for most of the book, but I enjoyed the growth I saw
Colleen Houck
I really love the premise of this book. Such a cool idea to incorporate the zodiac in outer space. I also think the idea of seeing the future through studying the stars is awesome. The heroine is plucky and you'll want to go with her on this journey. Also the two young men who accompany her are fun characters too. The villain is really interesting. Can't wait to see what happens next.
Erin Arkin
Zodiac by Romina Russell was a solid four stars for me. I found it full of action and the space travel and science fiction aspect only added to the story. I won't be saying a ton about the details of this book only because I don't want to give anything away - apologies but I don't want to spoil it!

Russell built the structure of the space system and the planets so that it was easy to create a picture in my mind of the world these characters live in. I loved the space travel and the di
Jay G
May 22, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Want to see more bookish things from me? Check out my Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfer...

Rhoma Grace is a 16 year old girl from House Cancer, one of the 12 Zodiac Houses in the galaxy. When an attack on House Cancer causes their moons to collide and their House Guardian to die, Rho is surprised when she is named the new Guardian. By reading the stars, Rho discovers an bad omen in the solar system, the banished 13th house of the Zodiac is attacking the remaining houses. No one believes her warnings and no
Julie Salinas
Dec 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: firsttoread
Very inventive use of the zodiac constellations we've grown up with by taking the physical characteristics and personality of the zodiac signs and weaving them into a sci-fi YA novel. You can't help but feel for Rho, who sees a threat no one else can see in the stars. To elders she is young and inexperienced. She is constantly asked to make choices that are against her strong Cancerian nature. This is the start of a series and we are left with questions of who Rho will end up with, where she wil ...more
Nadhira Satria
Dec 10, 2017 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tbr-i-own
THIS SOUNDS SO GOOD????
Anyone who wants to buddy read this with me pls hit me up
Gergana
Dec 12, 2014 marked it as zzz-books-not-for-me  ·  review of another edition
Read on January 05, 2016, DNF 30%
Booooooook! Why, boooook? I liked you! I waited for you for months. I had a crush on you ever since I saw your gorgeous cover on goodreads, and when I read your synopsis, it was like it was meant to be! We were perfect for eachother (I'm a Cancer too) and my heart practically skipped a beat when I saw you in the bookstore. It was insta love! Why did you have to be so.... so... so the extreme opposite of awesome?

Honestly, this book was so not for
Susan
Jul 18, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wonderfully magical and full of captivating imagination, Zodiac will thrill any fan of Sci-Fi Fantasy.

Full review to come within the week!
Frank Chillura
So, it is pretty late & I only just got home from seeing The Maze Runner in theaters... so I am still buzzing from that. I am happy I am finally getting to write my review for Zodiac, because I have been reading it now for a few days & have really been dying to let everyone know what I think.

Zodiac is a very complex story about many things. It is about strength, courage, building your world back after losing everything you once knew & loved. It is about making new allianc
Paige (Illegal in 3 Countries)
See more of my reviews on The YA Kitten! My copy was an ARC I got at BEA 2014.

I may not read my horoscopes or put any faith in those things, but the zodiac and all that is one of my favorite things to study. Even if the horoscopes are inaccurate, my personality fits my sign (WHOOOOO CAPRICORN) far more than any other and it works for my friends too. A sci-fi fantasy series that takes the signs and makes them into their own constellations fighting against the evils of Ochus? YES PLEASE. Well
Krysti
Jun 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am so enthralled by the world that Romina Russell has created in Zodiac. She has beautifully combined science fiction and astrology to craft a setting that is every bit as breathtaking as this gorgeous book cover.

The characters are divided into separate houses based on the zodiac signs, and the common attributes of those signs manifest themselves in the characters' traits and strengths, which is such a fun and original approach to character development.

The plot is incre
desirey
Dec 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
With an action packed story line, a dynamic set of characters, and a world that is uniquely crafted by the author's imagination, Zodiac is a brilliant book that keeps you wondering what will happen next.

Romina brings to life a strong protagonist who you will be cheering for as soon as you read the first page. Rhoma Grace, from House Cancer, wants to unite the 12 Houses together and warn them of the danger approaching among the planets. She tells them that the 13th House isn't a myth,
Rachel Kulik
This review is posted on my blog Rachel Reading. If you like this, and would like to see more like it, please check it out!

This book is more like 4.75. I rounded up.

WELL HOLY SHIT BALLS this book was good. It was real good. And I feel like I disagree with a lot of the people who think this is just another love triangle gone wrong kind of thing. This book has some of the MOST AMAZING world building I’ve ever seen, and maybe that’s because I was obsessed with astrology for a really really
Melisa
Feb 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
OBSESSED!
This book creates impressive worlds with very dynamic characters! The details Romina comes us with throughout the book are mind-blowing. For example, the different Ophiuchus stories and how each House represents qualities from each of the Zodiac signs.
I don't want to spoil this book for anyone who hasn't read it, but I totally went through multiple emotions while reading it. Romina des a great job in capturing the struggles of adolescence while developing a character that steps u
Ashley Daviau
May 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really loved the concept of this book, it was really unique and I’ve never read a take on the zodiac quite like it. At first there was a lot of details to take in and I was a bit overwhelmed but eventually it all sank in and I began to enjoy the story. It’s pretty much guaranteed that I’ll love a book if it’s set in space but there was just lacking a bit of fire for me to make this book 5 stars. I did VERY much enjoy it but it needed that little something extra to make it spectacular.
Astrology in the Zodiac series. 2 7 Jun 13, 2019 03:26AM
YA Buddy Readers'...: This topic has been closed to new comments. The Zodiac Series by Romina Russell--Starting November 18th with Zodiac 7 18 Dec 20, 2018 10:18AM
Is this book worth reading?? 13 42 Mar 04, 2018 01:38AM
Is Mathias Dead? 9 144 Aug 21, 2017 06:23PM

• Ash Princess (Ash Princess Trilogy, #1)
  • Three Dark Crowns (Three Dark Crowns, #1)
  • Archenemies (Renegades, #2)
  • Renegades (Renegades, #1)
  • Dreamfire (Dream Walker, #1)
  • Lady Smoke (Ash Princess Trilogy, #2)
  • Undead Much (Megan Berry, #2)
  • The American Sign Language Alphabet: Letters A-Z, Numbers 0-9 (FingerAlphabet BASIC Reference Guide Book Series 12)
  • Reading Between the Signs Workbook: A Cultural Guide for Sign Language Students and Interpreters
  • Valentine's Day of the Undead (Megan Berry, #2.5)
  • You Are So Undead to Me (Megan Berry, #1)
  • Scythe (Arc of a Scythe, #1)
  • Night Speed
  • There Will Come a Darkness (The Age of Darkness, #1)
  • Full Moon Kisses (Full Moon, #3)
  • Warcross (Warcross, #1)
  • One Dark Throne (Three Dark Crowns, #2)
  • Nordic Tales: Folktales from Norway, Sweden, Finland, Iceland, and Denmark (Nordic Folklore and Stories, Illustrated Nordic Book for Teens and Adults)
Romina Russell (aka Romina Garber) is a Los Angeles based author who originally hails from Buenos Aires, Argentina. As a teen, Romina landed her first writing gig—College She Wrote, a weekly Sunday column for the Miami Herald that was later picked up for national syndication—and she hasn’t stopped writing since. When she’s not working on ZODIAC, Romina can be found producing movie trailers, taking ...more

Zodiac (4 books)
  • Wandering Star (Zodiac, #2)
  • Black Moon (Zodiac, #3)
  • Thirteen Rising (Zodiac, #4)
“It's one of our greatest human flaws: Arrogance. We look up and dare to assume we know, when the universe is unknowable.” 61 likes
“When we open our minds too wide, we risk closing them.” 48 likes