Start by marking “Poles Apart” as Want to Read:
Poles Apart

Poles Apart

3.7  ·  Rating details ·  1,128 Ratings  ·  193 Reviews
Published October 20th 2015 by Douglas Gibson Books

To ask other readers questions about Poles Apart, please sign up.
Terry Wow! You caught something that I, my editor, the copyeditor, and the proofreader missed. I had no idea I'd switched to the Ford Escort later in the…moreWow! You caught something that I, my editor, the copyeditor, and the proofreader missed. I had no idea I'd switched to the Ford Escort later in the novel. It was always supposed to be the Ford Focus. Good catch. I'll try to have it changed in the trade paperback version. Thanks so much.(less)

Kyle B
Jan 22, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: canlit
I really wanted to like this book, the synopsis was so intriguing and sounded like something right up my alley. I am a male who has written for feminists blogs. I grew up right as Jezebel and similar blogs were starting and took off. It sounded like a perfect read to look at some important, contemporary discussions and do so in a funny way. Further, I actually quite like Terry Fallis..

Unfortunately, it may be one of the worst novels I've ever read. Three reasons for this, really.

1) Judged on the
Karen M
Sep 25, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2015
I can't decide on my rating. I loved the subject matter (a male feminist - YESSSS), but some of the dialogue felt a little wooden, and some of the plot points were a little too obvious so that there wasn't a lot of suspense... It was a quick, fun read though and it made me think a lot! If you're drawn by the synopsis, I'd recommend giving it a shot. :)
Teresa Reid
Oct 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
I unabashedly love Terry Fallis. When I met him last week at an event, I fawned over him like some might over Johnny Depp. Anyhoo - this book is full of the wit and charm of his other books while tackling one of my favourite topics, feminism. If you think a man can't be a feminist, read this book and see if it changes your mind. Certainly, hearing Terry's impassioned speech on the subject, I believe it is possible.
Kate Heron
Aug 18, 2015 rated it did not like it
Terry Fallis manages to write an entire book mansplaining feminism and actually manages to not say anything substantive about feminism, sexism, or the sex industry (beyond vaguely shaming sex workers.)

Quite a feat!
Katelyn Lutman
Jan 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars for me. It was as easy read - quick pace, accessible language and themes. The feminism was rather 101 and lacked an intersectional approach, but I recognized myself in the protagonist, and appreciated the family portrait this story included. Activist circles can be pretty serious places, so it was refreshing to read a light story that still centred around themes of gender politics and equality, even if I did find myself internally rolling my eyes at sections that felt a little “manspla ...more
Mark
Oct 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Another great read by Terry Fallis. He never fails to deliver on wit and on humorous situations that typically involve a "fish out of water" while inserting an element of seriousness. The play on words with the title are just a small part of the genius of what I appreciated about this novel. The manner by which Fallis tackles an important topic yet weaves together elements of suspense and zany humour in the midst of the injection of a critical feminist perspective takes a sure and steady hand. H ...more
Poetreehugger
Aug 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I like the humourous imaginative writing style. Entertaining. I'll be looking for more books by this author.
Dawn
This book was mildly amusing. It was a cute look at some feminist stereotypes but most of the story was incredibly obvious and there wasn't much substance.
Deb
Sep 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is Terry Fallis at his best and by far my favourite book of his. Is it somewhat formulaic and predictable? Yes. You could see every so called plot twist and turn from a mile away. But it was a fun and witty read. Almost like watching a really well done rom-com - you know how it's going to end up but you still enjoy the ride.
Julie
Mar 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Terry Fallis' writing style is so completely disarming! At first you do feel like the characters in this book are a little flat but his mix of humour and appropriately predictable plot line ends up being much more than a sum of its parts. Like every other book of his I've read, Poles Apart was a charming, funny, light read. In this case, I read it on a 7 hour bus ride from Cat Ba to Haiphong to Hanoi, and found it compelling - especially in a country that speaks to the exact issues the book addr ...more
Jamie
May 19, 2016 rated it did not like it
What a disappointment. Having read and enjoyed Terry's books in the past, this had potential to be another true pleasure. It ended up being anything but. For starters, it took nearly 300 pages before anything actually happened. By then my interest was all but dead. The characters are bland and mostly knockoffs of the characters from the thoroughly enjoyable The Best Laid Plans. As for the ruminations on feminism throughout the book, they varied from non-existent to trite. I expected so much more ...more
lisa MacColl
May 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
I adored "The Best Laid Plans" and "The High Road". I wasn't as fond of "Up and Down" or "No Relation" so I was a bit nervous starting this book. Happily, this book is in the vein of Fallis' first two works. There is a good story, great characters and the kind of clever word play that made me a fan of his writing in the first place. There are laugh out loud moments in the vein of The Best Laid Plans. Read it, you'll like it.

Melanie Baker
Nov 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
I wasn't as big a fan of Terry's last one, but this was back on track for me being sweet and fun and funny.

Got to attend a reading last week where he explained how aspects of this book are autobiographical, and outlined his own journey to a "feminist awakening". It was a nice addition to my perspective while reading.
VP
Mar 27, 2016 rated it it was ok
I generally like Terry Fallis' linear, simple novels, but this one was torturous drivel. Linear, yes, simple, yes....but the content was even more pretentious than ever.
I'll keep trying, but I get tired of reading books featuring writers with over-inflated ideas of the skill of their own writing, especially when the writer of these characters is really not great either.

Alex
Dec 10, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
Cute! I will continue to read his books, as they are always good for entertainment. Having read all five of his books now, in the last 13 months, I can notice the pattern and almost guess what is going to happen. Not always accurate, but usually close enough.
Suep
Apr 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
As always, Terry Fallis delivers a delightful story.
Lynn
Mar 14, 2016 added it
Entertaining and, although a bit far fetched, thought provoking. I really enjoy Terry Fallis' humour.
E.A. Briginshaw
Jul 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
Another winner from Terry Fallis.
Diane
Oct 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: canlit, 2017-books
After the mind F#$* that was Bellevue Square and the frustration that was The Manticore and a dose of violence and investigative journalism that was The Girl Who Takes an Eye for an Eye, I am ready for something light, fun and easy to read. What better than the humour of Terry Fallis?

Everette Kane, a freelance journalist in his 30s and avid feminist has to be the dutiful son and assist his father who is recovering from a stroke in Florida. He finds a small apartment and flies from Toronto to Orl
Patrick Book
Mar 03, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2017
I don't imagine I'll ever understand the appeal of Terry Fallis. Even when he's on the side of the angels (sort of?) by writing a pro-feminist (sort of?) book, he's a garbage pile of a writer.

His first two novels seemed to hit a particular niche with Liberal audiences tired of living under successive Conservative governments. The bloodless "satire" and half-baked "humour" (I lost track of the fart jokes, honestly) came across as so bland and toothless it was almost insulting.

I haven't read his l
Jovdb
Apr 18, 2018 rated it liked it
The Best Laid Plans was one of the best novels I have ever read. And the follow up - the High Road - was ok, too.

This book wasn’t as good - there was still humour, intrigue, romance - but I didn’t find it as engaging as the other two books.

This tells the story of a struggling writer. He has lost the enthusiasm of youth and is churning out copy for third rate magazines. Then, his father has a stroke and the writer, Everett Kane, leaves Canada to go to Florida to visit and encourage his father’s r
Mwarke
Jan 06, 2018 rated it liked it
SUMMARY:

Overnight, Eve of Equality, a new feminist blog, becomes a sensation when a wildly popular TV talk show host stumbles upon it, Tweets about it, and promotes it on her show. The blog is smart, thoughtful, funny, and bold, brazenly taking on various injustices in the lives of women. But it's the blogger Eve's post about the controversial entrepreneur behind XY, a new chain of high-end strip clubs opening up across the country that sets off a firestorm. In a matter of hours, the Eve of Equa
Leah Z
Jul 01, 2018 rated it liked it
Another entertaining and enjoyable read by one of my favourite authors. While this one doesn’t lead the pack in terms of my favourite Terry Fallis novels due to the many eye-rolling moments peppered throughout the novel, there is always something immensely likable and charming about his characters. They are classically imperfect—guided by a solid moral compass and grounded in doing what’s right, albeit sometimes veering off course slightly. All the while, there is an authentic nature to them. Th ...more
Zen
Dec 19, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: book-club-books
This is my first Terry Fallis book. The Best Laid Plans has received so much acclaim in Canada that maybe my expectations were too high for Poles Apart. As The Best Laid Plans is on my too read list I'm really hoping its better than this.

I would have given this book 1 star except I believe Fallis is sincere in his support for womens equality. Other than that I found the book way too long for a piece of farcical fluff. A brilliant male feminist writer (although we never get to read any of his wri
Susan
Mar 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: canadian-authors
A very insightful book written with humour and truth. Terry Fallis is an excellent author and has yet again, kept me enthralled with his clever anecdotes and funny exploits of the book's hero. In this day and age it is important to present a man who truly believes in the equality of women. His character admits that even as a feminist, to show the respect and appreciation of women, he has to work very hard to overcome so many stereotypes that people have been ingrained with for so many years.
Plea
Jennifer Harper
Apr 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Another humorous read from Terry Fallis. I could just fall in love with all of his male mc's. They're sensitive, funny and just a big awkward. My kind of guy. In this one, feminist Everett finds himself writing a blog on feminism called Eve of Equality while living above a strip club. All kinds of hilarity ensues while Everett deals with the unexpected runaway success of his blog while fighting off the neanderthal strip club owner who wants to take him down. If you're looking for a quick, fun re ...more
Julia
Oct 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: canadian-author
I really enjoy the wit and humour Fallis uses in his writing. He seems to be a natural at it. I met Fallis a couple weeks ago at an author event hosted by a local bookstore. He interviewed well and speaks like he writes.

In this novel, the main character, Everett Kane is a male writer who begins a feminist blog that takes on various injustices in the lives of women. This blog goes viral overnight, much to Everett's surprise. Everyone wants to interview the author of this blog assuming it is a fem
Ann
Aug 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Fun and feminism, not usually two words you find in the same sentence.

Terry Fallis has constructed a rollicking romp containing both of these words. Everett Kane (whose name could well be Earnest) is an unusual hero who leads us on a blogging journey with Eve of Equality while living above a genteel strip club.

Turning every stereotype on its head, this delightful story manages to infuse information with laughs, while tracking a story that may have taken place ... possibly, in the best of times.

F
David
Oct 04, 2017 rated it liked it
"Poles Apart" by Terry Fallis was an amusing read. A light-hearted satire on feminism, it is a good-hearted story of a fellow who becomes a wildly popular feminist blogger while desperately trying to keep secret the fact he is a male. I actually laughed out-loud. A fun and funny novel with a bit of a serious side.
Linda Cook
Feb 09, 2018 rated it liked it
It was a good book with an unusual premise of a man writing a feminist blog. However I felt this was not his best book compared to his first and second ones. You could see where this was going a mile away, the situations contrived, and the solutions too pat. However it was humourous which was a saving grace.
  • Mãn
  • Punishment
  • Come, Thou Tortoise
  • The Bone Cage
  • America, but Better: The Canada Party Manifesto
  • Cool Water (Juliet in Water)
  • Vinyl Cafe Diaries (Vinyl Cafe, #4)
  • Ragged Company
  • The Garneau Block
  • Close to Hugh
  • Dance, Gladys, Dance
  • Canadian Pie
  • Each Man's Son
  • The Nesting Dolls (A Joanne Kilbourn Mystery #12)
Terry Fallis is the award-winning author of six national bestsellers, including his latest, One Brother Shy, all published by McClelland & Stewart (Penguin Random House). His debut novel, The Best Laid Plans, won the 2008 Stephen Leacock Medal for Humour and was crowned the 2011 winner of CBC Canada Reads as the "essential Canadian novel of the decade." In January 2014, CBC aired a six-part te ...more
More about Terry Fallis

• Searching for Grace Kelly
    $15.99 $1.99
  • Bricking It
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Fifth of March: A Story of the Boston Massacre (Great Episodes)
    $8.99 $2.99
    $13.99 $1.99
  • The Elephant Keeper's Daughter
  • The Virtues of Oxygen
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Home to Harmony (Harmony #1)
    $11.14 $1.99
  • Dog Crazy
  • The Towers of Tuscany
  • The Noticer: Sometimes, all a person needs is a little perspective
  • Who We Were Before
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Reluctant Midwife (Hope River, #2)
    $10.49 $1.99
  • Sin No More (Reverend Curtis Black)
    $10.39 $1.99
  • We'll Always Have Paris: Stories
  • The Hidden Flower
  • Greyhound
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Take Two (Above the Line, #2)
  • The Heart Mender: A Story of Second Chances
  • Where We Belong
    $5.99 $1.49
  • Cashelmara
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Dumplin' (Dumplin', #1)
  • The Sisterhood of Blackberry Corner
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fat Chance
  • Just a Couple of Days
    $17.99 $1.99
  • The Boleyn Inheritance (The Tudor Court, #3)
    $12.99 $2.99
  • A Scattered Life
  • Every Ugly Word
  • A Memory of Violets: A Novel of London's Flower Sellers
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Desert God (Ancient Egypt, #5)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Woman Who Breathed Two Worlds (Malayan #1)
  • An Amish Buggy Ride
  • Old Yeller
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Secret Healer (The Secret Healer #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Elizabeth Street
  • The Unkillable Kitty O'Kane
  • It Is Well
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Sinful Calling (Reverend Curtis Black #13)
  • On a Cold Dark Sea
    $4.99 $1.99
  • My Lady Viper (Tales from the Tudor Court #1)
  • Kings of Broken Things
  • Edward Adrift
  • The Restaurant Critic's Wife
    $3.99 $1.99
“I truly believed that a man should not be seen to be out front on feminism. That would be just like a man to try to take over the women's movement. We'd taken over everything else in history, in society, in the world, why not feminism, too? No, I don't think so.” 1 likes
“Being a feminist in principle is easy compared to being a feminist in practice. For men and women, living each day in practical defiance of thousands of years of gender-based streaming is so much harder than walking in marches, running workshops, and writing blog posts. It means questioning everything you do, moment by moment, day by day. It means thinking differently and making dozens of conscious decisions every day that you might have made on auto-pilot before. It's hard. It's taxing. It's tiring.” 1 likes