Start by marking “Pink Is for Blobfish: Discovering the World's Perfectly Pink Animals” as Want to Read:
Pink Is for Blobfish: Discovering the World's Perfectly Pink Animals

Pink Is for Blobfish: Discovering the World's Perfectly Pink Animals

(The World of Weird Animals)

Pinkalicious meets National Geographic in this nonfiction picture book introducing the weirdest, wildest, pinkest critters in the animal kingdom!
Some people think pink is a pretty color. A fluffy, sparkly, princess-y color. But it's so much more.
Sure, pink is the color of princesses and bubblegum, but it's also the color of monster slugs and poisonous insects. Not to me
Published February 2nd 2016 by Alfred A. Knopf Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Pink Is for Blobfish, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pink Is for Blobfish

Manybooks
Engagingly recounted, and even with a bit of gentle humour (but not ever to the point of the narrative becoming silly or feeling artificial, of the humour taking over or taking the place of factual explanations and scientific information) and above all, most appreciatively, exceedingly well researched and scientifically sound (with each of the seventeen animal species having their common name, their Latin species name, size, diet, habitat, predators and threats listed, as well as there being a l ...more
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
I didn't know there were so many different pink animals in the world! But what kind of a book on pink critters doesn't include the flamingo and the piggy? Ok, so the animals in this book are all wild, so I'll excuse the piggy. But the flamingo?? Is it because the roseate spoonbill was included, and that bird is too much like the flamingo (except for the beak)? Anyway, I did learn quite a bit about the animals included here. I have to agree that the blobfish is pretty ugly, but the picture in the ...more
Margie
If you were to ask a roomful of students to play a word association game using the primary, red, blue, and yellow, and secondary, orange, green and violet, colors, will all their answers be the same? Based upon their ages, past experiences and thinking processes certainly some answers will be identical. For the same reasons many will be different. Colors are attached to some powerful memories.

If you were to throw out a shade made when adding white to a primary color such as pink, what will they
Sandra
Feb 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Do you think pink is only for princesses? Then you should take a look to this book! In it you will find seventeen fascinating animals such as tarantulas, river dolphins, armadillos, rat moles and uakaris; animals from 0.5 inch to 14 feet long; animals from every continent; animals who live in rivers, rain forests, ponds, swamps and underwater; all of them pink.

Many interesting facts are explained in a funny way. The books has pictures and cartoons, and also a glossary and a map at the end.

Amusin
Joyce Yattoni
Jul 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
This a superbly written and clever picture book about the world of pink animals. The pictures/illustrations are stunning. This will make for a great read aloud for MS especially tackling organizational patterns but more specifically classifications. I sure hope students enjoy the interesting topic as they explore their own topics to research.
Michele Knott
Readers are in for a treat with this book! I read an early e-copy and I cannot wait to hold the real copy in my hands and pass on to students!
Lesley Burnap
Jun 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Perfect for my 3rd graders! Love the structure and great photographs! Jess's writing is clever and fun!
I only read this book because I needed something for the PopSugar Reading Challenge that had my favorite color in the title. Yes, I have The Secret History of the Pink Carnation on audio, but what with how many other audio books I have waiting for me (I'm addicted to Audible), I'm not sure I'll get to it by the end of the year. So after a search for other books with "pink" in the title, I decided this one looked suitably easy, plus it was available online at my library. But it turned out it was ...more
Lisa
May 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Nate gives this one 5 stars! It's a great book about weird pink animals! Perfect amount of text and nice, big, interesting photos of some really fascinating animals! We had a great time reading this one last night. Lots of laughs too. Don't miss this one for your own kids.
Celeste_pewter
Jan 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
I'll be honest: I was completely fascinated and slightly weirded out, when I first saw the Pink is for Blobfish cover. The more I read about the book, the more curious I became to learn just what a pink blobfish was, and just what other pink creatures may exist in our world.

Zoologist/author Jess Keating walks readers through a number of familiar and unfamiliar pink-shaded creatures, including the naked mole rat, the pinky pygmy seahorse and the pink fairy armadillos. For each animal, Keating de
Linda
One thrill this week was finding Pink Is For Blobfish by Jess Keating, with illustrations by David DeGrand. So many have been shouting good things about it, and now I know why. The book makes me want to know more, and that's the best thing about non-fiction picture books.One full size spread/photo of the actual animal. On the right is a short description, a cartoon drawing of the animal (clever and creative), and another piece that tells interesting "stuff" about it. On the right, a column give ...more
LauraW
Nov 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a very enjoyable light science book. The pictures of all of the pink animals are very engaging. It is a bit discouraging that so many of the animals are struggling with environmental challenges, but I am glad it is pointed out and not glossed over.
Kendra
Mar 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Everyone should know these creatures exist, they made my whole life better.
Niki (Daydream Reader)
I loved this book when I got to catch a sneak peak of it....and I love it even more now. Awesome nonfiction book!! I can't wait for the next book in the series!
Michelle Simpson
Feb 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book is awesome! It is filled with amazing pictures and fascinating information about a variety of pink animals. It is very appealing to kids.
Kristine
Aug 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book highlighting the various pink animals of the world. Who knew there were so many?!

Book includes a glossary and section at the end directing readers to future careers in science based on the types of animals that interest them.

Excellent mentor text for studying author's craft. How did Jess Keating decide what information to include at the top of each page? the information included with the cartoon?

This book is also a good mentor text for sentence fluency.
Mary
An informative nonfiction picture book that tells the reader right off the bat that pink in nature is not always cute and cuddly, but sometimes downright weird. Keating focuses on seventeen pink animals with crisp, full color close-up photography and a casually instructive narrative. The sidebar charts are edifying and filled with fascinating tidbits. A must-read book for young readers who love the strange but true in nature.
Steph
Aug 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Hello genius!

You've got a little kid that only likes the color pink? Well they will LOVE THIS BOOK! Only pink animals, all shapes and size and from all over the world!, fill this book! So many new facts and creative additions at the end of the book, too! (I especially loved the map and list of what kids can be when they grow up if they love different kinds of animals. So cool!)
Melanie
Jan 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
What a fascinating fact-filled book! It didn't hold my 4 year old's attention but I will definitely purchase this for the students of my library. They will go CRAZY for this!
Barbara
Feb 12, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: animals, nature, science
This engaging nonfiction text provides plenty of information and a different slant on the color pink. While some might consider pink to be a girly color, the animals featured here are different shades of pink, and some of them are not all that appealing. Photographs, cartoons, and brief text boxes introduce readers to blobfish, orchid mantises, pink fairy armadillos, naked mole rats, and red uakaris, among other creatures who look rather pretty in pink. The text describes their physical characte ...more
Gary Anderson
May 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
With a title that works from every angle, Pink is for Blobfish is an excellent nonfiction picture book, especially for animal-loving young readers. While pink is usually considered a pretty color, some denizens of the wild with pink coloration defy that stereotype.

Jess Keating’s book is bright, humorous, and engaging. Readers will learn weird facts about each animal, along with details about its habitat, diet, and enemies. My favorite weird facts: naked mole rats do not get cancer, and the only
Beverly
Feb 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: jnf-500
Fascinating and interesting information on a variety of pink animals.
Quintina
Sep 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015
Pink is for Blobfish is an amazing non-fiction title for kids. I was astonished to see so many pink animals!
Stephanie
Jun 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Fascinating facts and pictures.
Tegan
Very interesting! I didn't know about a lot of these animals!! I want to see a picture of a blobfish under water! Monarch 2018 Nominee.
b.andherbooks
Mar 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
Another great choice for kids' who love odd, squishy, and sometimes menacing animals, AND THEY ARE PINK. Takes the whole "pink is for princesses" and turns it on its head, and teaches facts, geography, and great vocabulary words. Nothing is cuter than my four year old saying "blobfish" or "pink is for roseate spoonbill."

My only true issue is the sheer "wordiness" of the book (probably meant more for independent readers). I have to shorten for bedtime, and she knows when I've skipped things.
Eva Kelly
Feb 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Warning: this one is REALLY hard!!
But it's full of good facts. You know what? I think there's more facts on each page of this one than there are in whole books of some easy fact books. Plus it's got great pictures. So which one would YOU pick? ME TOO!!!
So I just need to keep taking it out of the library and take my time with it. Because sometimes if you want facts, you just have to go slow.
I keep wanting to get a book about real naked mole rats, and this one has a page on that guy in it, so that
Katie Lawrence
Jul 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
This is just plain fun and fascinating too. I love the use of color to tie together rather bizarre, lesser known animals, and Keating does an excellent job supplying fascinating details about each creature. I found myself learning a lot from this book and I know my students would love this. The segment on nudibranches does raise the topic of hermaphroditic animals, but in a way that I think would be accessible for children. Really intriguing, particularly for lovers of pink, animals, or bizarre ...more
Jana
What an awesome nonfiction picture book this is! Jess Keating has written a wonderfully entertaining and informative book about some of the world's weirdest pink animals. From the title blob fish, to naked mole rats, hippos, and many other animals, you get great photographs along with interesting facts and details. I have to get this book for my classroom! I know it'll be very popular. In fact, I probably should get several copies!
Serenity
Feb 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
*I received a free copy of this book from the publisher through my district library services*

Such a cool book! This book contains gorgeous photos and interesting facts about a number of pink animals. They include mammals, insects, sea stars, and more. The layout of each two page spread is consistent, and includes the common name, scientific name, and information about diet and predators. Includes a map of the globe showing where each animal can be found, a glossary, and additional resources.
  • Handle with Care: An Unusual Butterfly Journey
  • Neighborhood Sharks: Hunting with the Great Whites of California's Farallon Islands
  • Feathers: Not Just for Flying
  • Water Is Water: A Book About the Water Cycle
  • Flight of the Honey Bee
  • Hippos Are Huge!
  • Gravity
Find her on Twitter @Jess_Keating and on Instagram @JessKeatingBooks!

As a zoologist, author, and illustrator, Jess Keating has been sprayed by skunks, bitten by crocodiles, and victim to the dreaded papercut. Her books blend science, humor, creativity, and adventure, and include the acclaimed My Life is a Zoo middle grade trilogy, the picture book biography, Shark Lady, and the award-winning World

The World of Weird Animals (3 books)
  • What Makes a Monster?: Discovering the World's Scariest Creatures