Start by marking “Blue Laws: Selected and Uncollected Poems, 1995-2015” as Want to Read:
Blue Laws: Selected and Uncollected Poems, 1995-2015

Blue Laws: Selected and Uncollected Poems, 1995-2015

4.3  ·  Rating details ·  56 Ratings  ·  6 Reviews
Longlisted for the National Book Award

A rich and lively gathering of highlights from the first twenty years of an extraordinary career, interspersed with "B sides" and "bonus tracks" from this prolific and widely acclaimed poet.

Blue Laws gathers poems written over the past two decades, drawing from all nine of Kevin Young's previously published books of poetry and includin
Published February 2nd 2016 by Knopf Publishing Group

To ask other readers questions about Blue Laws, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blue Laws

Jenny (Reading Envy)
I picked this up because it was longlisted for the National Book Award for poetry in 2016, although it did not make the short list. It is a mighty tome of poetry, which is difficult for how I like to read it. I am just not sure what I think about collected poems being grouped with slim volumes of current poems; the two are hard to compare. So I started at the end and worked backward for a while (since the poems are organized chronologically by collection in this volume) and then went to the begi ...more
Mike
Feb 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
One of this country's genuinely essential poets. I'm forever thankful to have discovered the poetry of Kevin Young back in 2007, and since then have made it my business to read everything by him I could get my eyes on. From murder noir, to deepest blues, to the voices of the Amistad rebellion, to Nerudan odes, to Basquiat and Jelly Roll Morton, Kevin Young's verse is a celebration of a human voice that is both deeply private and ecstatic simultaneously. This collection sits happily on my shelf b ...more
Jim O'Loughlin
Jan 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
There is some great work in here, particularly the region-based poems and the odes to food. There are also interesting excerpts from book-length collections on Jack Johnson and the Amistad incident.
Emily
Apr 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Oh this guy!
Liz V
May 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great collection which brings me back to when I first knew him at UGA; his voice is crisp and distinct, cutting to the core of things AND spending time ruminating along the way, simultaneously. What makes him unique.
Brenda
Sep 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
Kevin Young is a genius with words. He captures the present and the past, people he has loved, and people he has never known.....all with an economy of words and artistic skill. This is a book I will return to. So glad I found the voice of this poet at a time when I needed to hear what he has to say.
Sarah Liu
Liz
Jan 07, 2018
Ryan Luetzen
Nov 15, 2017
Kevin Young is an American poet heavily influenced by the poet Langston Hughes and the art of Jean-Michel Basquiat. Young graduated from Harvard College in 1992, was a Stegner Fellow at Stanford University (1992-1994), and received his MFA from Brown University. While in Boston and Providence, he was part of the African-American poetry group, The Dark Room Collective.

Born in Lincoln, Nebraska, You