Start by marking “Ghostly: A Collection of Ghost Stories” as Want to Read:
Ghostly: A Collection of Ghost Stories

Ghostly: A Collection of Ghost Stories

3.47  ·  Rating details ·  1,238 Ratings  ·  239 Reviews
Collected and introduced by the bestselling author of The Time Traveler's Wife and Her Fearful Symmetry--including Audrey Niffenegger's own fabulous new illustrations for each piece, and a new story by her--this is a unique and haunting anthology of some of the best ghost stories of all time.
     From Edgar Allan Poe to Kelly Link, M.R. James to Neil Gaiman, H.H. Munro to
Published September 29th 2015 by Knopf Canada (first published September 24th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Ghostly, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ghostly

Althea Ann
Aug 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
Basically, this is a collection of the ghost stories that Audrey Niffenegger thinks you ought to read. With a few exceptions, I agreed with her. I'd read the bulk of the selections included, but welcomed the chance to re-read, as there are quite a few excellent stories featured. Each also has a charming black-and-white illustration by Niffenegger.

**** The Black Cat - Edgar Allen Poe
I think I might have to give this one the Most Unpleasant Narrator of All Time award.
It's true, animal abusers te
Diane S ☔
3.5 a collection of ghost stories ranging from a few new ones back to Poe and Bradbury. Poe's story was one of my favorites though I had read it before. Another favorite was Honeysuckle Cottage, just loved the quirkiness of that one. Garman.so story provided a little shiver but for the most part none of these were very scary but all were good. Interesting so see what stories are chosen for a widespread collection like this one. A little something for everyone.

ARC from NetGalley.
Kirsten
Dec 17, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An interesting collection of ghost stories. Great variety.

The Black Cat by Edgar Allan Poe

I've read and heard this performed many times. A classic story. Yet a little disturbing as the main character seems to abuse his wife and his pets for no reason. A wonderful dénouement is had, however.

Secret Life, With Cats by Audrey Niffenegger

A little creepy. Also, reminds me why I don't have cats. Also, it was one of those dreary tales of a life sucked out of a person.

Pomegranate Seed by Edith Wharton

An
Sue
I do enjoy reading ghost stories...and I don't restrict this reading to the days around Halloween. In my world tales of the supernatural and paranormal are appropriate any time of the year, any time of the day. Now horror, on the other hand, and seriously creepy ghost stories perhaps should be confined to daylight hours if one is prone to bad dreams. Niffenegger's collection is made up primarily of the gentler and more classic form of ghost story, the sort that finds its effects in style, manner ...more
Jan

Not my most favorite collection of creepy ghost stories, but there are a few prize gems in here that are worth a mention. (They, Playmates, Honeysuckle Cottage)
This is such an eclectic collection from vintage authors to modern day and while I wouldn't classify these as scary, there was an element of 'weird' that kept me turning the pages.
With Halloween right around the corner, this was a nice way to ring in the season. :)
My thanks to NetGalley for the ARC in exchange for an honest revi
Lotte
3.5/5. Favourite stories in this collection: 'Secret Life, With Cats' by Audrey Niffenegger, 'The Mezzotint' by M.R. James, 'Click-Clack the Rattlebag' by Neil Gaiman & 'The Black Cat' by Edgar Allan Poe.
Patty Killion
Aug 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2015
Ghostly...A Collection of Ghost Stories...Introduced and Illustrated by Audrey Niffenegger

What could be better than a collection of ghostly short stories about haunted houses, spectral chills and, of course, the odd cat.....

that are written by Edgar Allan Poe, Edith Wharton, P G Wodehouse, Neil Gaiman, Rudyard Kipling, Saki, Ray Bradbury, M R James, Audrey Niffenegger....and many more!

I know that Halloween is over, but good ghost stories are great reading for anytime of the year.

Grab a blanket a
Laurie
Overall, a very good collection of straight-up ghost stories & some that are mere haunting stories. They flowed together very well, at times almost too well to distinguish, with an overlapping feeling of wistful melancholia.

The Black Cat - Edgar Allan Poe: 4*, ooooh this one is f**cked up!
Secret Life, with Cats - Audrey Niffenegger: 4*
Pomegranate Seed - Edith Wharton: 4*
The Beckoning Fair One - Oliver Onions: 3*, a bit long, but a slow creeper
The Mezzotint - M.R. James: 5*
Honeysuckle Cottage
Ines
Sep 19, 2015 rated it liked it
i received this ARC from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review

for me is a 3,5 stars.....
i appreciated this book and i found interesting stories in it, i was expecting a little bit more scary, mistery and suspense pieces......most of them were with a too linear plot............the ending were more likely predictable.......
for non english readers....i found a not easy writing, i had to check a lot the dictionary... some of the terms are not the everyday you can read in modern books.....
Heidi
Oct 06, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Three and a half stars: An interesting mix of ghostly stories for those who want an eclectic variety.

What is about a good ghost story that keeps us coming back for more? Is it that we are curious about our own mortality? Do we want a good scare? Are we looking for proof of life after death? Perhaps it is something simpler, perhaps it is because we want to be entertained, and we like to be frightened. Especially in the Fall as the shadows lengthen and lurk a little longer in the corners. For thos
Stephen Collins
Apr 18, 2018 rated it liked it
This got both modern & number of classic tales such as The Black Cat by Poe & the famous author Oliver Onions
Jan W. Mc
Oct 17, 2017 rated it it was ok
Really a disappointment. Some of these stories are rare jewels. Others left me asking, "What?"

The spooky, ghostly aspect just wasn't there. Most of the stories were vague, and a few were simply disconnected. Just not for me.
GONZA
Sep 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
Even if I already knew some of the stories collected in this book, reading them all together with some new other short tales made me shiver, right now I'm so frightened that I would even iron instead of going to bed. Some authors are well known, like Poe and Saki, some not for ghost stories like Edith Wharthon, but still all of them are worth reading.

Anche se alcune delle storie raccolte in questo volume le conoscevo, leggerle assieme con altre che erano novitá mi ha fatto venire i brividi, in q
Karly
Jul 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
I haven't read a scary story anthology since Schwartz's Scary Stories in grade school. I didn't realize until I started this book that not all ghost stories are scary stories. In fact, while the selections seem arbitrary, some of them were hilarious and charming; then others were melancholy, creepy, and downright scary. Most were written in the early 20th century or earlier, when it was easier to be frightened in candlelight and when ghosts liked to write letters. But there were some modern day ...more
Barbara
Oct 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
this was 4 and a half stars for me. I realized that I really like ghost stories, and am not such a big fan of horror. The majority of stories were by classic authors including Poe, Kipling, Wharton, and Ray Bradbury. Niffenegger chose the best of the best and even included two newer authors. If you like ghost stories, this is for you!
Nicola Mansfield
Oct 03, 2015 rated it liked it
A varied selection of ghost stories from Victorian era through to modern day authors. The spooky ghost theme is consistent throughout the collection though sometimes the reader is left with deciding whether it is a story of the paranormal or madness. The writing, however, varies widely from Gothic to humour to horror to simply odd and so on making it a decidedly inconsistent anthology. Overall, I found the selections mediocre, some better than others, a few great, but more than a few less than g ...more
Christine
Everyone should have a quest and mine is finding the perfect ghost story. What better place to find a great ghost story than in a book of just such stories put together by Audrey Niffenegger (Time Traveler’s Wife, Her Fearful Symmetry)?

Each story has an introduction by Ms. Niffenegger that explains a little bit about the story’s author, some background on the story itself and why she decided to include it in this collection. It also includes some charming illustrations drawn by Ms. Niffenegger.

T
Rodney
Aug 27, 2017 rated it liked it
I wrote a whole big thing about why I'm obsessed with ghost stories, but meh. TL;DR: setting, memory, and gender. Just like everything else I'm interested in.

I absolutely loved "The Specialist's Hat" and "The Beckoning Fair One." Those two were the creepiest masterpieces of the form I've ever read. Like reread every once in a while for the rest of your life, on that level.

All of Edith Wharton's ghost stories, including "Pomegranate Seed," collected here, is gorgeous, top-shelf stuff. Read it al
Melissa
4.5* An eclectic mix of authors, many older ones, but also a few newer authors mixed in, including one previously unpublished story. The tonal registers are also varied - including more amusing, satirical tales, to truly creepy, eerie ones, and others that veer more heartfelt and sentimental. I also thought that Niffenegger arranged the stories in a very well thought out order, with threads of similarity often running from one story to the next - be it in content, theme, or tone.
Annie Joyce
Jan 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Loved pretty much all but 2 of these stories! Satisfyingly creepy and weird.
Jay
Dec 20, 2017 rated it liked it

Honestly wasn't sure how to rate this book, as with most collections, because some of the stories were five stars some one, and most inbetween.
Rachel Dalton
Oct 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
I think it's always difficult when to go into a book expecting one thing, and to get another. Audrey Niffenegger is the author of my all-time favorite book, "The Time Traveler's Wife," so I was excited to read a book that she compiled of her favorite ghost stories. There were some big names in this anthology, to be sure: Edgar Allan Poe, Edith Wharton, Ray Bradbury, Neil Gaiman, and Niffenegger herself.

I picked up this book wanting a scary read to curl up with in the weeks leading up to Hallowee
Jennifer Rayment
Sep 27, 2015 rated it liked it
The Good Stuff
My favorite story by far was , by Neil Gaiman (the man is a truly incredible writer who never wastes a word) - those are my types of ghost stories kids - sorry. I shivered at the end, it was the type of story we used to tell each other at sleepovers. You know the ones, right, keeps you up at night
Even the stories I didn't enjoy, I do appreciate the sense of mood they created
Some truly unique stories
The Beckoning Fair One is wonderfully moody with a sense of foreboding
The Mezzotint
Diane
Oct 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Ghostly, was a pleasant surprise, an awesome collection of short ghost stories. Each story can be completed in a short sitting, preferably by a nice warm fire or glowing candle with something warm to drink.

Each story begins with a small intro and illustrations, and each selection has a specific theme as well: loss, cats, houses, children and unrequited love -- things and places that are often thought of as being haunted. All are about death in some way.

I enjoyed almost every story in this colle
V.R. Barkowski
This collection of ghost stories assembled and introduced by Audrey Niffenegger is a delight. Tales run the gamut from Poe’s macabre masterpiece, “The Black Cat,” to Amy Giacalone’s laugh-out-loud, “Tiny Ghosts” and PG Wodehouse’s, “Honeysuckle Cottage.” A seemingly disproportionate number of the stories have protagonists who happen to be writers. Difficult to say if this was intentional on Niffenegger’s part. Perhaps writers are more likely to be haunted? Reader beware: Ghostly is more a survey ...more
Helen
Sep 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: haunted-houses
Edited by Audrey Niffenegger, this is an astoundingly great selection of ghost stories, from every era. The ones involving children, "They," "Playmates," and The July Ghost," were positively haunting; I could feel tears collecting in the corners of my eyes. "Honeysuckle Cottage" had me laughing out loud;"The Black Cat," "The Mezzotint," and "Click Clack the Rattlebag" were prickles-up-and-down-your-back spooky--but the ones I really admired were the modern ghost stories, "Secret Life with Cats," ...more
Megan Jones
Sep 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
This was an outstanding collection of haunting stories! Each one was unique, original, and thought-provoking - exactly what I look for in intriguing reads. I read a few negative reviews, but I believe that Niffenegger's Introduction actually touches on the fact that this is NOT the typical ghost story collection, nor is it a survey of a genre, instead she admits to simply liking these stories. And because I like her work as an author, I agree that these are fantastic stories. While "The Black Ca ...more
Anna H
Jun 13, 2016 rated it it was ok
Meh. Not great for modern readers of horror. If you grew up reading Stephen King or you're a fan of film director (genius) James Wan, these will disappoint. Victorian-era ghost stories -- which most of these are -- are not really "scary" in the modern sense. Mostly they're pretty boring. Ghosts back then seemed to represent the hauntings in characters' lives more than supernatural presence. Neil Gaiman's story was good and there were a couple others that were OK but I wouldn't recommend taking t ...more
Kate
Oct 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015, horror, fiction
I received this ARC from NetGalley in return for a review.

Audrey Niffenegger is an expert in the off-beat and creepy (see Her Fearful Symmetry), so it's only fitting that she bring together a collection a non-traditional ghost stories just in time for Halloween. Sure, it's got your standard work of Poe, but Niffenegger also includes stories from authors not normally known for hauntings, including P. G. Wodehouse, Edith Wharton and Ray Bradbury. This is a book that makes you rethink what constitu
Michael
Oct 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
My wife and I decided to read this book together for Halloween and I absolutely loved it. There are so many great ghost stories in here, including a lot of funny/ironic stories, which were among my favorites. There are also two magnificent stories from two undisputed legends, which were probably my absolute favorites of the entire collection: Click Clack the Rattle Bag by Neil Gaiman and August 2026: There Will Come Soft Rains by Ray Bradbury. Some other notable favorites include: Tiny Ghosts, H ...more
  • The Doll Collection
  • Hauntings: Tales of the Supernatural
  • After the People Lights Have Gone Off
  • Nightmare Seasons
  • The End of the Party
Audrey Niffenegger (born June 13, 1963 in South Haven, Michigan) is a writer and artist. She is also a professor in the MFA Creative Writing Program at Columbia College Chicago.

Niffenegger's debut novel, The Time Traveler's Wife (2003), was a national bestseller. The Time Traveler's Wife is an unconventional love story that centers on a man with a strange genetic disorder that causes him to unpre
More about Audrey Niffenegger
“You see,” resumed Laura, “I really have some grounds for supposing that my next incarnation will be in a lower organism. I shall be an animal of some kind. On the other hand, I haven’t been a bad sort in my way, so I think I may count on being a nice animal, some thing elegant and lively, with a love of fun. An otter, perhaps.” “I can’t imagine you as an otter,” said Amanda. “Well, I don’t suppose you can imagine me as an angel, if it comes to that,” said Laura. Amanda was silent. She couldn’t. “Personally I think an otter life would be rather enjoyable,” continued Laura; “salmon to eat all the year around, and the satisfaction of being able to fetch the trout in their own homes without having to wait for hours till they condescend to rise to the fly you’ve been dangling before them; and an elegant svelte figure—” “Think of the otter hounds,” interposed Amanda, “how dreadful to be hunted and harried and finally worried to death!” “Rather fun with half the neighbourhood looking on, and anyhow not worse than this Saturday-to-Tuesday business of dying by inches; and then I should go on into something else. If I had been a moderately good otter I suppose I should get back into human shape of some sort; probably something rather primitive—a little brown, unclothed Nubian boy, I should think.” 0 likes
“Dead is the most alone you can be.” 0 likes