Start by marking “Missing” as Want to Read:
Missing

Missing

Everyone knows they left. No one knows they're...

m i s s i n g

Reeve's End is the kind of town every kid can't wait to escape. Each summer, a dozen kids leave, and at least a quarter never come back. I don't blame them - I'll do the same in another year. We thought it was just something that happened in town like ours.

We were wrong.
Published April 18th 2017 by Crown Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Missing, please sign up.
Sarah Bibby It's listed on her website under standalone novels so I guess she's not planning on turning it into a series.

Start your review of Missing
Emily May
Aug 20, 2016 rated it liked it
Here I am, children. Right over here. Step off that safe, moonlit path and come meet me.
You aren't afraid, are you?

This was seriously creepy. Small towns, dark forests, and a psychopath playing twisted games. The only reason this didn't get a higher rating was because the "reveals" of the mystery were some serious DEUS EX MACHINA.

I'd forgotten just how easy to read Armstrong's books are. Her narrative just flows and it's easy to intend to read one chapter between other tasks and then find yo
Cristina Monica
May 17, 2017 rated it did not like it
DNF at 80%

I was going to finish this book, but then I realized that the only reason why I was reading it was to finish it, and that is clearly not a good reason to read a book, so I stopped. I felt like a phony book lover. Plus I told myself that even if it did get better in the last 20% by some miracle, it wouldn’t have changed my opinion about it much.

Some people mentioned this being a creepy tale, and I must wholeheartedly disagree. I didn’t find anything creepy about this book. Sure, there
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
Dec 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Armstrong never disappoints. It doesn't matter in what genre she writes, when I open up one of her books I always know I am in for something fun and well written.

Her latest YA mystery was just that. It was fun, entertaining and kept me on my toes. One of the few YA mysteries where I didn't see everything coming long before the book was over and one that had me guessing and second guessing right up until the very end.

With engaging characters, a fast paced plot line and enough mystery and creepy t
Chelsea
May 10, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 1-star
TW: Graphic Animal Cruelty

This book is a thriller, following Winter Crane and Lennon, because actual people in tiny southern towns are definitely named stuff like that. There’s a serial killer, it’s a mystery, and I don’t care about any of that.

Here are my issues with this book:

1. Disgusting, unnecessarily graphic, animal cruelty. If you don’t want to read about a serial killer slitting the throats of dogs and hearing about them bleeding out slowly, maybe skip this. Only one dog survives, so the
Amelia

I found it so hard to put this book down at times, it was that good.

The reason for the 4.5 stars was because I didn't care for the romance that occurred between two character, and I didn't like Jude as a character. I found him so annoying, and hence a minus .5 star.

Other than that I did not dislike anything else. I enjoyed the story and cared for Winter.

Armstrong's writing is spot on! At certain times of the story I found myself with goosebumps on my arms and legs. And it is hard for
Lisa Mandina
Apr 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I rarely read YA books that don't have a paranormal or dystopian type of story-line. But there are certain authors that I will read almost any book they write, no matter what genre, and Kelley Armstrong is one of those. This book is a perfect example of why she is on my YA author automatic read list. The story read just like I was sitting on the edge of my seat watching a suspense movie at the theater. It had so many twists and turns, and while I had a tiny inkling of who or what might be behind ...more
Marta Cox
Mar 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: my-reviews, netgalley
This author is a superstar as far as I'm concerned and her fantastic paranormal stories cannot be praised enough. Yes I've even enjoyed the ones she has written that are aimed at teenage readers so I was intrigued by the possibilities of a more mainstream YA thriller. Absolutely no supernatural events just a mystery with suspense that lasts until the end.
Winter has grown up in dead , going nowhere Reeves End, Kentucky. Oh she's not exactly a poster child for the Appalachian mountains but she kno
Jody McGrath
Apr 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Awesome story, but a bit slow.

(view spoiler)
Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede
By no one else's fault than my own did I get the impression that this would be a paranormal book and that was what I was looking forward to reading. However, this is a YA thriller, a whodunit book about Winter, a young girl who discovers that the people that have left the little town of Reeve's End have perhaps met a grisly end. Among them is Winter's sister that left a year before and never was heard from again.

Young adult is not a genre I read that often, but I've lately been reading up on Kel
Stacee
May 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
I'm a sucker for these sorts of books, so I'm not sure why it took me so long to get to it.

I really liked Winter. She's tough and smart and hard working. She has a crap home life, but doesn't let it rule her. I loved being in her head, seeing how she deals with everything that happens. There are some other interesting characters, but I don't want to spoil it.

Plot wise, I was captivated from the start. This book is filled with twists and creepiness and it's all topped with a delicious layer of
Fuzaila
”That’s the problem with lies, they keep growing.”

This book was unlike anything I’ve read before. As such, it was interesting, but not engrossing. Kelley Armstrong did a good job with the psychology element, but not quite with the suspense.

Reeve’s End is the kind of town every kid can’t wait to escape. Each summer, a dozen kids leave and at least a quarter never come back. I don’t blame them—I’ll do the same in another year. We thought it was just something that happened in towns
May 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Missing is a standalone YA suspense/mystery book.

Kelley Armstrong is one of my favorite authors. So I will read pretty much anything that she writes. I am in love with her adult series (Cainsville and City of the Lost) so I had very high hopes for this YA mystery.

The narrator is 17 year old Winter Crane. She lives in the small town of Reeve's End in a trailer park with her drunk dad.

She cannot wait to leave Reeve's End when she graduates high school. She is super smart and wants to be a doctor.

I
K.
Trigger warnings: domestic violence, cruelty to animals, suicide.

3.5 stars.

So Kelley Armstrong is pretty much an auto-buy author for me at this point, which meant buying this one was a no-brainer. And it was fast-paced and action-packed, because I got through it in a couple of hours. But despite all of that, this one was just sort of meh for me.

It's billed as a YA romantic thriller, but I'd say it's light on the romance and heavy on the thriller. Basically, the main character, Winter? She's a
K.A. Wiggins
Jun 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Kelley Armstrong writes brilliant YA thrillers. She also writes great adult thrillers and YA fantasy, but... wow, this was a strong book. Love the characters; complex, relatable in a unique way, inspiring but not impossibly perfect or untouchable. Strong emotional beats to drive empathy and engagement alongside tight writing and fast pacing. Absolutely excellent, and one of my favourite of her books so far!
The Captain
Apr 18, 2017 rated it liked it
Ahoy there me mateys! I received this young adult crime thriller eARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. So here be me honest musings . . .

So me mateys, I continue with me Kelley Armstrong obsession and this be her latest offering. It is not me favorite of her novels (as I prefer her fantasy or adult thrillers) but this was a quick and fun read.

The story follows Winter Crane who lives in a small poverty stricken town in Kentucky. Like most young residents of the town, she has one h
Kayla
Jun 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 Stars.

I won this book in a GoodReads Giveaway & I really enjoyed it. I liked the pace it held and that it kept me wondering every step of the way. I was excited that I didn't anticipate the ending which is a nice change from what I've had in a while. Thrilling and engaging this story held my interest from beginning to end. Great read!
Kathy Davie
A standalone thriller for Young Adult readers based in Reeve's End, Kentucky.

My Take
I do love that initial hook with Winter knowing exactly what's going on and what she wants. Ain't nuthin' gonna stand in her way! It quickly starts down the scary path, though, with Winter's rescue and the preternatural events that follow her.

Armstrong uses first person protagonist point-of-view from Winter's perspective, as we evade that pack of wild dogs, but discover lost arrows, retrieved arrows, laid out arr
Laurie • The Baking Bookworm
Missing is an intense and sinister read that will keep you on your toes. Edge-of-your-seat, ominous and even a few gruesome scenes help create a steady build-up of tension. Add in the evil taunts by the 'bad guy' and the first half of this book has a wonderfully creepy, dark feel.

The tone lightens a bit in the last half with less of that creepy feel and more focus on the mystery aspect as Winter tries to figure out what's happened to the missing teens from her small town of Reeves End, Kentucky
Cocktails and Books
Apr 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
This review was originally posted on Cocktails and Books

I have to say, I haven't read a YA thriller before, but Kelley Armstrong made me realize these are books I should read more often.

Winter is stuck in Reeve's End hoping she's going to be able to get away from her father and fulfill her dream of being a doctor. And when she helps a boy she finds in the woods, she's suddenly in the middle of strange happenings and missing people.

This story had twists and turns. I wasn't sure if Winter should t
Heather
Jan 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
A delightfully creepy read in a day book with the unmistakable charm and voice of Kelley Armstrong!
Katie
I liked this sooooo much better than Armstrong's first YA thriller, The Masked Truth. The description's a little misleading, though. It's really more about (view spoiler). The love interest was that Derek/Clay/Jack/Eric type that really works for me. (Wow. I don't love everything Armstrong writes or all her romances, but she's given me some really good ones.)

Anyway, if Armstrong is going to be write more YA thrillers, I'm more on
Crystal | decorating.reader
DNF at 32%.

These characters man....just...NO.
Lola
Jun 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
I don't normally read many thrillers, but I gladly make an exception when Kelley Armstrong writes them as she's one of my favorite authors. Missing was an interesting read, with a thrilling mystery, some creepy scenes, a great main character and a nice romance side plot line as well. I found the start of the book a bit slow, but once she met Jude things picked up and I quickly got sucked into the story. It kept my attention and I had a hard time putting the book down at times.

Thriller's usually
Dayla
Jun 15, 2017 rated it it was ok
I received a copy of this book via the publisher.

This rant review is all over the place, btw.

This was just all over the place. I want to say I enjoyed it but...sigh. At first, it was intriguing and creepy, then the protagonist became a huge disappointment. Despite her "logic" she was constantly making the wrong decisions and putting herself in danger.

Then there was the insta-love (just because the protagonist and the love interest don't hook up on the first day, doesn't make their hooking up o
Leah
Apr 04, 2017 rated it really liked it

Missing is one of those books you devour. And boy, did I devour it! I’ve never read any of Kelley Armstrong’s previous books (of which she has many) but as soon as I read the synopsis, I knew I wanted to read this book. I *had* to read this book! Teens going missing? A place no one cares that teens are going missing, because everyone thinks they’re just leaving town and not looking back? And a girl determined to find out the truth, who I aspire to be like, like no one’s business. I really got in
Plot Monster
Feb 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Missing by Kelley Armstrong has 384 pages and was published by Doubleday Cananda in 2017.

Kelley Armstrong has done it again.  This is a very, creepy book which I thoroughly enjoyed reading.  She is an extremely talented writer and her books are filled with narrative that flows easily and keeps the reader engaged.

Missing is an entertaining read that will keep you on the edge of your seat.  It is filled with twist after twist.  Just when you think you have it figured out...Boom!  There's another
Bianca Damaso
Aug 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
This book was weird. I was confused as to what was happening at the beginning and I was a bit thrown off by the first male character introduced but then the second part got really good and more engaging.

When we first met Lennon I was like "oh no is he the love interest? I don't really like him..." but then he's out of the picture pretty early and we meet another guy named Jude and I was like "oh yes he is definitely our love interest 😌"

While the ending wasn't completely plot twisty since I gue
Liz Barnsley
Really enjoyed this despite it being occasionally a little far fetched. More to follow in a fuller review. Awaiting blog space!

But I'm becoming a fan of Kelley Armstrong. I guess its better to arrive late to the party than not at all!
Jessica Robbins
Apr 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
For complete review check out my blog at https://booksaplentybookreviews.blogs... ...more
Ally

• Kasey & Ivy
  • Lost in the Backyard
  • Where the God of Love Hangs Out: Fiction
  • Watch Over Me
  • One Foot in the Grave (Carly Moore #3)
  • Undone
  • The Cupcake Caper (The Boxcar Children, #125)
  • The Fade