Start by marking “Harrow County, Vol. 1: Countless Haints” as Want to Read:
Harrow County, Vol. 1: Countless Haints

Harrow County, Vol. 1: Countless Haints

(Harrow County #1)

Emmy always knew that the woods surrounding her home crawled with ghosts and monsters. But on the eve of her eighteenth birthday, she learns that she is connected to these creatures--and to the land itself--in a way she never imagined.
A southern gothic fairy tale from the creator of smash hit The Sixth Gun, beautifully and hauntingly realized by B.P.R.D.'s Tyler Crook!

Collecting: H/>:
Published December 2nd 2015 by Dark Horse Comics

To ask other readers questions about Harrow County, Vol. 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Harrow County, Vol. 1

Start your review of Harrow County, Vol. 1: Countless Haints
Anne

You Caint Never Kill Them Spooky Devil Women!
description
You've got a girl on the cusp of womanhood who may be in danger, townspeople harboring a secret past, and a mystery that gets more frightening the closer it gets to being solved.
Stir it all up, and you've got a quite a scary mystery!

descriWytches</a>.</br>You</a></i></b></span>
  <span id=Cullen Bunn's Harrow County is actually more like what I wanted, but quite didn't get, from Scott Snyder's Wytches.

You Caint Never Kill Them Spooky Devil Women!
description
Stir it all up, and you've got a quite a scary mystery!

description

Alright, when I first got this one, I stuffed it on the bottom of my reading pile.
Why?
Well, initially I had the same problem with this cover as I did with Colder. I mean, this one is nowhere near as disgusting, but it was still very misleading. <--to me
You see that boneless, bloody arm hanging out of a drawer, and what looks like the skin of a face inside it, right? And just like with Colder, my mind goes right to a serial killer who skins his victims and maybe keeps the remnants in a box as a trophy.
I do not (personally) see a box full of skin and think: WITCHES!

description

But this is about a witch. And, apparently, that pile of dermis is called a Haint.
Yeah, I don't really know what that is, either.
Best guess? It's just the old-timey southern way to pronounce Haunt.
*spits tobacco*
But it runs around helping Emmy, so it can't be all bad, right?
Eventually, they become friends, and she carries it around in her bag.
I know you think I'm kidding, but I'm not...

description

Anyway. Emmy is about to turn 18, and there's all this foreshadow-y stuff about what might happen when she does.
OMG! What's gonna happen to Emmy?!

description

But seriously, it's a good story. If you like this kind of thing, read it.

The only thing I was kind of iffy about was the art. I'm not sold on those round faces. Also, it looked like everyone had a perpetual cold, what with all the red noses and cheeks.
Plus, Emmy looks like she's maybe 10 years old. I guess it could have been done on purpose to make her seem even more sympathetic, but...eh. I couldn't quite take her as seriously as I wanted to because (at times) she looked like a clunky, backward child.

description

Still, iffy art wasn't enough to dampen my enjoyment of this one. I thought it was great, and I'm really looking forward to seeing what happens in the next volume!

This was another fantastic comic that came out my Halloween goodie basket. Thanks again to my Scary Santa for the gifts!

Shelby *trains flying monkeys*
The townspeople get together and decide to take out a witch. She has been healing animals and people and cavorting with some boogers in the woods. Can't have that- so up she goes.
Palm Springs commercial photography

That might not be enough though..so they burn her too.
Palm Springs commercial photography

She gets all pissy about all that and promises to come back to mak
Jan Philipzig
Welcome to the Witchcraze!

Seriously, where do all those comic-book witches come from all of a sudden? Brubaker’s Fatale, Kirkman’s Outcast, Snyder’s Wytches, now Bunn’s Harrow County - is it just that the market demands more horror and can no longer absorb zombies, vampires, and werewolves? Or is there more to the seemingly outdated notion of demonic possession than meets the eye? Is there something about the subgenre that increasingly resonates with us these days?

Come to think of it, I guess the henchmen of the c
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

I was already going to half-ass this review, but then I took a gander over at Shelby’s and she flippin’ beat me to the punch on every dang thing I was going to say. Pretty much just read hers because we obviously share the same brain and it was her turn to use it when it came to writing up something about this story.

The basics are that back in the day some broad was thought to be a witch so the townsfolks did errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrything in their power (meaning, beat the shit out of, lynch
David Schaafsma
Mar 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: gn-horror, gn-ya
Reread 7/10/17 I'm still very much into this beautifully drawn horror comic series about Emmy, a teen who may be a reborn witch, with healing properties. Monsters, ghosts, and a strong attractive female lead, a very engaging cast of characters, great art, great story.

Original 3/16/17 review:
I liked this a lot. Usually it takes me awhile to warm up to a series, those slow starts, but this has the engine revved right out of the gate. Described as a southern gothic fairy tale, Har
Sam Quixote
Nov 03, 2015 rated it liked it
The people of Harrow County burned the witch, Hester Beck, on the hanging tree. Before she died, she told them she’d come back.

Years later…

Emmy has turned 18 and isn’t sure what she’s going to do with her life. But strange things are happening around her pa’s farm with cattle mysteriously dying. That is, except for the one Emmy laid hands on. To her father’s horror, he realises the witch has returned in the form of his daughter!

Writer Cullen Bunn re-teams with his Sixth Gun fill-in artist Tyl
Chad
Oct 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
A pretty solid start to a new witch tale. They do seem to be the new zombies in the comic book world. The citizens of Harrow County burn a witch at the stake but not before she utters a curse saying she will be back. Years later, Emmy is about to turn 18. People think she is the witch reincarnated and try to kill her. Turns out she is a witch but she just wants to live her life. From there, we have some twists and turns (one of which I thought was pretty creative.) Tyler Crook's art fits the moo ...more
Stepheny
Thanks to that crazy MahFah Kelly and her better half Mitchell this pregnant chick got just what she needed: a nice new slightly used comic book!

Harrow County was gifted to me by the lovely Kelly and I will be paying it forward. Stay tuned for more details!

Hester was labeled a witch. The townsfolk decided they needed to destroy her. She was beaten, stabbed, burned and then hung. Now, I don’t work for Manitowoc County but it sounds like Steven Avery might have had something to do with it.

Of course, Hester curses the townsfol
☽¸¸.I am¸¸.•*¨ The ¸¸.•*¨*Phoenix¨*•♫♪ ☾
The story of a young girl whose fellow citizens believe the reincarnation of an evil witch sounds like a good premise for a graphic novel, and if the artwork is at this level the enjoyment is guaranteed!

I would rate this comic as following:

Artwork ⭐⭐⭐⭐
Story ⭐⭐⭐

So, overall, 3.5 stars. I will definitely check out volume 2!
Paul E. Morph
Sep 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I love this book. Cullen Bunn's southern gothic tale of horror is as scary as any great horror novel and seriously creeps me the fuck out while also making me fall in love with the characters. Tyler Crook's fully painted artwork is beautiful and really is the best work I've seen from him.

This volume collects the first four issues (I wish they'd waited a bit longer and collected the first six but I'm not docking it a star for that; it's just too damned good). I recommend it to anybody
Forrest
Sep 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Only now, after I am done, do I recognize that the artwork was done by Tyler Crook, whose outstanding art graced the pages of B.P.R.D. I thought it looked familiar!

This is horror the way I like it: Creepy, but not overly gory. I'm not a splatterpunk kind of guy. In fact, I really hate gore and ultraviolence. But creepy? Give me creepy all day (and all night) long! And Harrow County has it in droves: Burned witches cursing her killers and coming back from the dead, homonculi, a skinned boy with a
SUSAN   *Nevertheless,she persisted*
The townies burn a witch,she vows to return,now you are up to speed... Young Emmy is introduced,I think you may be getting the picture. I wasn't crazy about this one,but I am planning on reading the next volume. It better have more of a wow factor.
Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede
Oct 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2015
The first volume of Harrow County was a treat. I admit that it took some time for me to warm up to how the characters were drawn, but after a while and together with the beautiful watercolor backgrounds did I quite start to like how the characters looked.

The story was good, Emmy a young girl is turning 18 and suddenly everyone she knows is out to kill her including her father and she don't at first understand why, that is until she learns the truth...

It was never really terrifying to read, not to me at least, a younger p
James DeSantis
Mar 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Woohoo I found a Cullen Bunn book I enjoy! Finally!

So this is Gothic southern horror. What's that you ask? Lots of accents, woods, and creepy shit happening all at once. Emmy is about to turn 18. For a lot of people that just means going into adulthood (in US. I know UK it's like 16. And Japan like 14 or something like that) but what's happening to her isn't the same as usual. 18 years ago the people around the area murdered a young girl who was said to be a witch. She said she would return. Is
Sesana
Jan 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, fantasy
I'm happy to report that this was exactly what I was hoping for: dark fantasy with the feel of folklore. This is the sort of story that would have been well at home in Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark, and that's fine company to be in, in my opinion. Yes, the story unfolds a little slowly, and this volume seems to be largely concerned with world building. I do expect that from the first few issues in a brand new IP, after all. And I do find the world building to be largely interesting. The idea of t ...more
Krista Regester
Feb 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
4.5 Sometimes when there's horror in graphic novels, I find that they can be too wordy and often too confusing when they try to add complicated plot lines or hidden messages. Harrow County did not do this. The art and the dialogue match perfectly, while the storyline was straight to the point and easy to follow. The creativity of this graphic was hard to miss and did not disappoint. I'm wondering if other illustrators will make a cameo in future volumes.

Erica
Poor Emmy. Birthed by a vengeful spirit, tormented by nightmares, hunted for death on her eighteenth birthday, kidnapped by loyal followers, this girl isn't having the life she'd imagined for herself just days ago.
But she's got friends - granted, one comes in two pieces - and she's willing to fight her past in order to make her own future so maybe she'll be ok.
Maybe.

I enjoyed this. It felt like a mix of A Path Begins, story-wise, and Wytches, Vol. 1, in tone. The art doesn't rely
Blair
Enjoyed this graphic novel, but I'm downgrading the rating (which was originally 4 stars) because, although I liked the plot and the art well enough, I realise now I've been left with zero desire to read volume 2. Set in the titular, evocatively named county, it follows a young woman who, as she approaches her eighteenth birthday, finds her home and town (and she) are not quite what they seem. It's a 'Southern Gothic fairy tale' with witches, ghosts, and woodland monsters; backdrops full of cree ...more
Amanja
Oct 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Cullen Bunn is the author of this graphic novel series about a town that burned (and shot, and hung) a witch 18 years ago. They are now seeing the signs of her foreboding curse in a young girl just turned 18. Is she the reincarnation of this evil power?

This was a good start to a series and I’m interested to see where it goes from here. The premise is simple, a town afraid of powerful women. I mean, a town afraid of witch evil. And the young protagonist is a good balance of naive and
Diz
Oct 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
This graphic novel tells a story about witchcraft in a small rural southern town. It's light on scares, but it is creepy thanks to it's watercolor art done in macabre color combinations.
Malum
Oct 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Pretty good horror comic with witches, monsters, skeletons, people that can take their skin off and, scariest of all, hillbillies.

Rachel (TheShadesofOrange)
Mar 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
4.0 Stars
This was an immersive southern gothic graphic novel with an incredibly eerie atmosphere. The story felt reminiscent of reading a dark folklore tale. The artwork had a water-colour style with muted warm tones. Striking the right the balance between creepy and emotional. I highly recommend this one to any fans of graphic novels or the horror genre.
Crystal Starr Light
Aug 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
Bullet Review:

Four stars is probably high, but I wanted to differentiate from my 3-stars. Also I did enjoy this.

It's creepy, a little gory. Sure, somewhat standard story with GORGEOUS art, but eh, I was in the mood for it. Though I avoided reading before bed - no nightmares for this girl!
Sud666
Jun 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, horror
When I saw Harrow County on the comic shelf, I stopped to admire it's rather creepy cover. So I read all the fluff and decided I'd take a chance. Well I am glad I did.

Young Emmy lives in Harrow County. Harrow County is a very strange place. Emmy growing up hears a lot of rumors and stories about haints (supernatural things) and witches. It seems that Harrow County has a strange and dark past. That strange and dark past may have come full circle and manifested in the young Emmy. Yet,
L. McCoy
May 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Fans of spooooky stuff!
Having just read volume 2 I noticed I didn’t review volume 1 and kinda want to so here it is.

What’s it about?
There’s this witch who was hung in a tree but said she would be back. Years later this girl named Emmy becomes 18 and has some things in common with the dead witch.

Why it gets 5 stars:
The story is interesting.
The characters are well written and worth caring about. I actually have a theory in my head that Emmy is meant to be like Jesus (sorta like how S
Gary
Jul 06, 2016 rated it it was ok
New England witchcraft folklore has been trending lately. Not that I'm complaining - I prefer the old school witches to the touchy-feely wiccan kind pop culture has been trying to sell us for the last couple of decades. Harrow County, unfortunately, tries to live on both sides of that fence, and the result is a bit deflating after a promising start.
Emmy is a lonely teenage girl living on a farm with her pa, who soon discovers she is the reincarnation of a witch named Hester (yep, Hester) t
Orrin Grey
Jan 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
Do I need to convince anyone at this point that Harrow County is a particularly brilliant new bit of backwoods horror? If you've liked previous stuff from Cullen Bunn, you'll like this. And Tyler Crook does some of the best work of his career. I particularly liked the flaming ghosts. (I always like flaming ghosts.)
Tom Mathews
Jan 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Intriguing graphic novel which draws largely on hill country folklore and witchlore, one of my favorite subjects. Any story that uses the word haints has a good chance of sucking me in. The illustrations are also unique in that they use watercolors.
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
I like creepy, scary reads and this qualifies. It's the kind of story that I can't describe too well without spoiling future readers. I'll keep things general and say that this is about a girl who is far more special than she could ever imagine, and how she comes to terms with that. This story was made for the graphic novel format. The imagery is very powerful and instills dread and the shudder factor in me. It's beautifully drawn and inked, but icky. It definitely has an American Gothic kind of ...more
David
Dec 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Witches, haints, creepy skinned children
This is a Southern gothic tale set in a fictional "Harrow County," someplace vaguely Southern/Appalachian circa early 20th century. I like that era and setting for rural horror tales, so this volume, the first in a series, caught my eye at the comic book store.

A teenage girl named Emmy discovers that she's actually the reincarnation of an evil witch that her fellow townspeople, including her own Pa, shot, stabbed, hanged, and burned years ago. When the time comes to "kill the witch"
Comic Book Club: * September 2019 COTM 2 5 Sep 22, 2019 08:34PM
I Read Comic Books: January BotM Discussion - Harrow County Vol. 1 12 19 Jan 26, 2017 07:06PM

• Wytches, Volume 1
  • Middlewest, Book One
  • Afterlife with Archie, Vol. 1: Escape from Riverdale
  • Clean Room, Vol. 1: Immaculate Conception
  • Nailbiter, Vol. 3: Blood in the Water
  • Keys to the Kingdom (Locke & Key, #4)
  • Redlands, Vol. 1
  • Head Games (Locke & Key, #2)
  • Injection, Vol. 1
  • Fatale, Vol. 1: Death Chases Me
  • House of Penance
  • Clockworks (Locke & Key, #5)
  • Nailbiter, Vol. 2: Bloody Hands
Cullen grew up in rural North Carolina, but now lives in the St. Louis area with his wife Cindy and his son Jackson. His noir/horror comic (and first collaboration with Brian Hurtt), The Damned, was published in 2007 by Oni Press. The follow-up, The Damned: Prodigal Sons, was released in 2008. In addition to The Sixth Gun, his current projects include Crooked Hills, a middle reader horror prose se ...more

Harrow County (8 books)