Start by marking “We Know It Was You (Strange Truth, #1)” as Want to Read:
We Know It Was You (Strange Truth, #1)

We Know It Was You

(Strange Truth #1)

Its better to know the truth. At least sometimes.

Halfway through Friday nights football game, beautiful cheerleader Brittany Montaguedressed as the giant Winship Wildcat mascothurls herself off a bridge into Atlantas surging Chattahoochee River.

Just like that, shes gone.

Eight days later, Benny Flax and Virginia Leeds will be the only ones who know why.
Published October 4th 2016 by Simon Pulse

To ask other readers questions about We Know It Was You, please sign up.
Manjot abusive for sure!! really benny was the strong macho man while virgina just followed along everything he said. she tried many times throughout the…moreabusive for sure!! really benny was the strong macho man while virgina just followed along everything he said. she tried many times throughout the novel to give her ideas but benny shut them down so quickly. (less)

Start your review of We Know It Was You (Strange Truth, #1)
Dec 01, 2016 rated it did not like it
This book is beyond offensive for numerous reasons including but not limited to: racism, sexism, and the handling of sexual assault. I could give more issues..these were the biggest.

First I'll tell you about a scene found on page. 112-115 where the football coach is explaining respect and consent -

"Let's talk about what you can do to show the ladies respect. Imagine what it's like to be a girl. You got this smokin' bod that everyone wants to get a peep at. Can you imagine what that feels like?
Giselle
This was just painful to read. I kept thinking "Oh maybe it'll get better! You know, detailed character arcs where the learn their lesson." Boy was I wrong! I don't know if this was supposed to be a parody, but I wasn't laughing at all.

The first thing? The characters. They were all so stereo-typical like the jocks, cheerleaders, nerds, exchange students etc. Each one had reacted just like we thought they would. It's mostly told from the point of view from Benny and Virginia. Two loners who are
Nenia ⚡ Aspiring Evil Overlord ⚡ Campbell

Instagram || Twitter || Facebook || Amazon || Pinterest

This book was given to me as a gift. It probably isn't something I would have picked out on my own, as I'm not the biggest fan of YA detective stories and the ratings on Goodreads are abysmal. WE KNOW IT WAS YOU is proof that sometimes it pays to give low-rated books a chance. It won't be topping any of my "best books of all time" lists, but it was fast-paced and fun.

WE KNOW IT WAS YOU takes place in an elite, mostly christian boarding
Kelly
And lo, at page 225, I decided I could not take this hot mess any more. It's offensive, insensitive, and just plain DUMB.

What in the world is this? And that description "Twin Peaks" meets "Pretty Little Liars" is so bad I can't even laugh about it.

This book can only be described as one you don't want to touch because holy hell. What a disaster.

In a culture, both one within the YA community and beyond, where we're trying to have productive dialog about race, stereotypes, and things like rape
Paige (Illegal in 3 Countries)
Jan 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I was pretty surprised to see such negative reviews here! I would urge people interested in this book to give it a try for themselves. Like some others have said, this book has a dark comedy tone and a lot of satirical elements, which it seems like some people are missing out on by taking everything at face value. The tone and plot bounce around from the mundane to the surreal in a way that I can see how some would find jarring, but to me, that creates the interesting tone of the book. The Twin ...more
Nadine
Aug 05, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: arcs
We Know it was You has rendered me speechless and not in a good way. This book is akin to watching a car accident. You know you shouldnt look, but you cant help but stare. Almost everything in this book is problematic. The plot, the characters, and the handling of certain situations were atrocious.

If youre looking for a book with one-dimensional characters, a mystery that is seemingly solved in the first 100 pages, and problematic and uncomfortable scenes that project unhealthy messages look no
bookmarkbelles
Oct 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
I loved this book so freaking much!
They sold me at Twin Peaks meets PPL when I read the synopsis of this book. I find that there's a little bit of a Veronica Mars feel to it as well. So if you're a lover of all three, then this book is definitely for you.

I was not prepared to be taken for a ride when I picked up this book but WOW.... what a crazy ride it was. The amount of plot twists contained in this story had me all over the place. Just when I thought I had things figured out, I was hit with
E.A.
I have to say this was a different read for me. As I was engaged in my favourite past time, chilling at the book store. I came across this little wonder. The cover caught my eye, the teaser on the back peeked my interested; so I went a ahead and read the first chapter. Before I know it, I lost track of time and when I came back to earth, I was like, I have to buy this book. Twos days later, I was done.

In all I have to say, I'm impressed. Normally YA thrillers/mysteries aren't my thing. They're
Shaun Jex
Jan 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
We Know It Was you reads like an episode of Saved by the Bell, assuming it was directed by David Lynch. It is a darkly comic YA story that, while billed as a mystery, is less a question of who did it as why. The book explores modern rape culture, through the lens of two teenagers investigating a suicide at their school. The characters are over the top, but deliberately so, embodying various teenage archetypes, but archetypes that aren't quite right. They're almost grotesque or fun house versions ...more
Stephanie Bain
Aug 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book was hilarious. Ridiculous. And yes it kept me at the edge of seat! The mystery, a few times i got creeped cause like wtf is going on! I just loved the characters, i loved how absolutely weird and f***ed up they were. How aside from the mystery there was a bit of trying to find yourself (but in a very realistic high school kind of way). There was a bit of family and there are still things i need answers too!

I cannot wait to see what happens in the next book! But i loved it!
Jane (It'sJaneLindsey)
Jul 04, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017-read
This was a complete shit show and I recommend you give this book the hardest of passes.
Jesse Nicholas
Sep 04, 2016 rated it did not like it
We Know it Was You by Maggie Thrash is a young adult novel about two teens who are apart of their high school's mystery club who witness the school's mascot jump off the bridge and try their best to solve it. With shoddy writing and a plot that was all over the place, I wouldn't recommend anyone waste their time reading this one.
The Good
There was very little good with We Know it Was You, but it had a few things going for it. One being the concept, but a very loose concept from what we
Janeli
Sep 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
Don't get me wrong this book had a shit ton of flaws but I enjoyed it! It just goes to show that it doesn't matter what other people like or dislike. You might hate a book many people love or love a book many people hate. Just try a book even if it has bad ratings, you might me surprised!! I know I was.
Hayley
Apr 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
A warped dark comedy mystery full of subversively quirky characters and exhilarating observations. See my full review here.

Thanks to Simon & Schuster and Edelweiss for the digital review copy.

Carly [A Beauty & Her Books]
Aug 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: already-own, arc
Review:

Thank you so much to Simon & Shuster Publishing for sending me a copy of this novel in exchange for my honest review of it.

Comparing this novel to both Twin Peaks and Pretty Little Liars was drawn in by the synopsis. Although I have not read or watched Twin Peaks, I have seen many of the episodes of Pretty Little Liars, and I feel that this novel was a great comparison to them overall.

Filled with strange antics and bizarre actions, We Know It Was You will keep you at the edge of your
Elizabeth/Ayana
Sep 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: giveaways
This book was pretty good. It made me wonder if there are that many unique people in the real world, or if it is only in the world of the authors mind. Most mysteries are starting to be predictable - this one wasn't (than again I read it in two days so my mind didn't have a lot of time to figure it out). There was only two problems I really actually had with this book:
1. There's a lot of nudity. Which could be some peoples cup of tea (including characters in the book), but it's not mine.
Peg
Sep 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This was darker than my usual read, but also way more fun. I really loved the main characters and I think I knew these kids in high school. I think I dated Benny. Very clever, fluid writing, devious plotting, wacko characters - what kind of mind comes up with this stuff? Read this alongside Sittenfeld's Prep and you will never send your child to boarding school.
Jana
Sep 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
The author did a great job writing from different points of view. Lots of red herrings so I didn't have it figured out at all. Good mystery!
Bern
This ARC was given to me in exchange for an honest review. Thank you, GoodReads and Simon & Schuster Canada!

On the goodreads blurb for We Know It Was You, it says this book is a mixture of Pretty Little Liars and Twin Peaks. It possesses elements from both, this is true, but Maggie Thrash's debut is its own, unique thing - somewhere between a hilarious, sometimes depressing exploration of the high schooler psyche and the strange, sometimes dangerous goings-on inside a prestigious high school
Jamie (Books and Ladders)
Aug 05, 2016 rated it did not like it
Look there are some "redeeming qualities" in this one, which is why I had originally rated it 1.5* on here but after thinking about it, I don't want to give this one any praise for how it handled things so it is 0 stars from me (1 star for searchability though). The characters were lackluster, the setting was alright, but the treatment of POC and sexual assault were HORRENDOUS in this one and I do not want to give any praise to a book that doesn't treat it's characters with respect.

All the
Joelle
Aug 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thanks Goodreads Giveaways and Simon & Schuster for the advanced copy!
*I received a free copy of this book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.*

This book is darkly comic and so much fun. I loved the zany characters and how the strange situations and oddball mystery wove together seamlessly. I loved how all of these somewhat goofy elements fit together to make the story flow so effortlessly. Although this book is definitely one I would consider to be light & fun, the
Laraine
Oct 03, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
I won this book in a GoodReads First reads giveaway, in return for an honest review. I really enjoyed this whimsical read and rate it a 4 star read. It tells the story of two outsiders in a private school who come together to form the Mystery Club. Virginia and Benny witness a terrible thing...the school mascot runs away during a football game and jumps off a bridge. Who was in the Mascot suit and why did this happen? The Mystery Club is on the case and it is great fun to follow along!
abby
Jan 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I thought this book rocked. It was pretty much everything I was looking for. I loved how the author included the crime in the book instead of start the book just as it ended, since I enjoy reading mysteries. It was very easy to follow, and I loved how it was written. I felt the characters were extremely relatable as a 17 year old teen girl, and I appreciated that. 10/10 from me.
Mish
Nov 20, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016, print-arcs
"Every person you share information with, you reduce your own power."

I enjoyed and liked this book, though it has flaws. This book got me through the blurb, but as the story develops I learned that there is more way deeper than that. It is told in multiple POVs, mostly Benny and Virginia's. The author didn't tell whose POV I were reading so sometimes it gets confusing, but most of the time I eventually realize it.

The first half of the book is good, and mainly about what is written on the blurb.
Andrea Drews
Jan 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Intriguing mystery, scary but a good ending. So excited when I found out it's part of a series! Will totally check them out when the others come out.
Cassie
Eh. Mystery was kind of solved in the middle of the book and did not feel like it had to continue on for as long as it did. You knew who did it, but not why and that's why the book dragged on. No resolution either, kind of disappointing. That is why it took me so long to finish this book, I thought it could have ended right in the middle. Benny and Virginia to me seemed like flat characters, and you never figured out the mystery with Virginia, which added further to my disappointment. Overall it ...more
Mundie Moms & Mundie Kids
I may like this book's cover, but over all I felt like the story it self was a hot mess. I'm still trying to digest what I just read. I can't even pinpoint what exactly went wrong w/ the story for me. I'm not sure if it was suppose to be funny, or a mystery, or combination of this. There was so many things missing from this story. Bizarre would be the best way to describe this book. *full review to come
Melissa
Jun 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
Weird and often hilarious, and as obsessed with breasts as The Haters is with dicks. At its best it feels like an Easter basket full of awesome eggs--seemingly tossed off, extremely sharp insights, hilarious asides, lines of great dialogue, character moments that bring even supporting players into sudden vivid focus. Recommended for people who, like me, loved Trouble Is a Friend of Mine.
Nila
First of all, thank you to Goodreads, Simon Pulse, and Maggie Thrash for sending me an Advanced Readers Copy of this book I won in a giveaway.

Before anyone proceeds, there are spoilers in this review.

Now, that we have established that, this is going to be a looong review full of everything that is wrong with this book. So, so sit back and pop your popcorn. I'm honestly not even sure where to start with this.... It was such a mess; I couldn't quite wrap my head around this book. Here're some of

• We Told Six Lies
  • The Best Lies
  • This Lie Will Kill You
  • The Best Possible Answer
  • Violent Ends
  • The Whispers (The Hollows - Short Story, #1)
  • The Great Shelby Holmes and the Haunted Hound (The Great Shelby Holmes, #4)
  • Runaways, Vol. 4: But You Can't Hide
  • In the Hall with the Knife (Clue Mystery, #1)
  • Screen Queens
  • Taming the Beast
  • The Cheerleaders
  • To Right the Wrongs (Erin Blake #2)
Maggie Thrash grew up in the South. She is the author of the graphic memoir Honor Girl, which is her coming out story. Strange Truth and Strange Lies were inspired by her experiences at an exclusive prep school in Atlanta, where everyone had secrets.

You can also find her on lonercomics.com and on instagram @maggiethrash

Strange Truth (2 books)
  • Strange Lies (Strange Truth, #2)