Start by marking “Cross Dog Blues: Book One of A Great Long Story to Tell” as Want to Read:
Cross Dog Blues: Book One of A Great Long Story to Tell

Cross Dog Blues: Book One of A Great Long Story to Tell

AMAZON #1 BESTSELLER in Blues Books
AMAZON BESTSELLER in Hist. Fiction and Hist. Thrillers

★★★★★ 4.7-Star Average Reader Review
“...this is storytelling at its best...” -- Fortean Times Magazine
“...poignant...heartening...insightful...” -- Kirkus Reviews

With the rambling pioneers of blues music leading an unforgettable cast of characters, this raw, rousing and adventurous deb
Published April 6th 2015 by Bogie Road Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Cross Dog Blues, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cross Dog Blues

Start your review of Cross Dog Blues: Book One of A Great Long Story to Tell
Sharon
Oct 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Blueprint of the Blues

I can't even begin to tell you what an impact this book has had on me! I am most fortunate in the fact that I have been able to hear and feel the music of many of these great blues men up close and personal at The Shaboo Inn in Willimantic, CT. and various other New England clubs back in the '70's and early 80's. Their music moved me...touched my soul, stirred my passion and now, because of this book, I begin to understand what moved them....their pain, their passion, the s
Michael Rudd
Jul 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The blues, to me, was always shrouded in mythos and folklore. The music touched upon, in its rawest sense, the human condition. Cross Dog Blues does the same here. If you're reading it, you already have a sense of the blues and its importance. This book definitely will expand your love for the blues and make you want to learn more. My second pilgrimage to Clarksdale is already in the works. Can't wait!
Charnee
Mar 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Historical fiction at its best, can't wait for books 2 and 3.

This book was great on a lot of levels, it was short, historical, thrilling and harsh all at the same time. Not knowing much about blues history I read the story not knowing how accurate the author was and I'm not sure it really matters. The story is so good on its own. The author does include an afterword at the end where he tells you how much of the story and characters he used that he pulled from what is known about early blues a
Bruce Greene
Mar 25, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For Blues fans, this is a most engaging read. Brock intertwines two stories about a hundred years apart and takes the crossroads metaphor to new heights. Some folks (like myself) are old enough to have seen some of these blues legends in person before they passed the torch to younger, and mostly more amplified ones. But that only enhances the appeal as icons like Blind Lemon Jefferson and Charley Patton come alive with all their hard drinking, harder traveling, slide guitar intensity. I'm hopefu ...more
Gary L. Carter
Feb 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Like the Blues, this book is a treasure. Compelling Story!

This book is historical fiction but of the highest caliber. Once I started reading it I couldn’t put it down and read it all in a day. I can’t wait for books two and three. Mr. Brock is a born storyteller. His characters come to life both real and fictional. Even if you’re not a fan of the Blues, you all be a fan of this book. Can’t recommend it highly enough.
Josh
Oct 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've loved the blues for a long time so I decided to jump on this book before I even knew it was a historical fiction. Cross Dog Blues tells an exaggerated tale of the origin of blues music as we know it today along side a modern(ish) day story that'll tie in towards the end. It isn't until the end, after the story where the author makes clear what is a stretch of the truth and what is real, and even suggest you go look into the facts on your own, which you will have to do.

The story is fun and i
Liz Muehl
Jul 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Most books that I read, I enjoy. How much depends on the place I am in at the moment. This book went well beyond all of that. Richard M. Brock’s book is beautifully written. I saw each scene that he described vividly. I felt each word that he had written and savored all of them. This was an exceptional book that I would recommend to anyone. I cannot wait until the next book comes out, and I will definitely read every book this author ever writes! Thank you Richard M. Brock for giving me such a g ...more
Mitch
Sep 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Powerful Stuff

Brock has written a masterpiece of Blues history and influence. His portraits of the Blues greats are achingly brilliant and touching. His very real depiction of the lives of Black People in the South is chilling and profound. This is a book that will rattle your soul, but then will sing it to sleep with a blues melody.
Pamela Montano
Jul 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is so good. I can hardly wait for Book 2. It's historical fiction about the Mississippi Delta and the birth of blues music. The author brilliantly weaves truth with fiction and it is a page-turner. A young man goes to the Crossroads in search of the father who walked away from the family some 20 years earlier. He finds danger, adventure, blues music and much more.
Brian Peterson
May 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great historical fiction / thriller that cleverly intertwines legendary bluesmen and their use of music in combatting racism within their time. The concept of the "blueprint" was quite intriguing. The accounts of racism were somewhat gut wrenching and quite stirring. I am looking forward to books two and three.
Calvin Nixon II
May 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ain’t nothing like the Blues!

The makings of the forefathers of the Blues and how this rich music came to be! Exquisite and soul turning storytelling at every turn, placing you at the foot of the blues live from the Delta!
Stephen Dostal
Jul 09, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Entertaining Read

Entertaining journey into the past to experience a walk in the shoes of the founding fathers of blues. A visceral look at race and the art form that arose from the depths of the struggle of black men in a post slavery south. Well done!
Andrea Nortje
Jan 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great story! Can’t wait for the next books...
Frances Van
Mar 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing and honest

Fascinating look at the early days of blues tied in with modern times.
Music has powers to soothe the man.
barbara
Aug 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you are into the history of blues, you will not be sorry to read this book. I cannot wait until the next book.
Tony Sannicandro
Good book, read as an e-book which put me to sleep. Really liked this book, the blending of two stories fact and fiction worked very well. Can't wait to read parts 2 and 3!
Karin Mitchell
I loved getting sucked into the world of this book and the quirky characters that had voices and pacing the tone of the blues they made. The structure of beginning each chapter with the time and place worked especially well to orient the reader and move the book forward. I also loved the cover and the extra bonus of getting a guitar pick was utter brilliance in the area of marketing. I was grateful that the author included a note at the end that teased out a bit of which parts were fact and whic ...more
Jim Johnson
Aug 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is a novel that traces the early history of blues music in the USA in an interesting way. It follows the careers of the earliest blues players, especially Charlie Patton, Blind Lemon Jefferson, and Huddle Ledbetter (better known as Leadbelly). But also, as a novel, it narrates numerous personal episodes of these artists and those they encountered during their careers. Many of these are dramatic stories of life, love and death that are told in a way that is entertaining reading as well as be ...more
Nicole
Aug 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cross Dog Blues is a book you will not want to put down. The story is engaging, taking you back to a time when Blues and slavery were alive, when people were fighting for the right to be human. The music would play through my head as I became encompassed by the characters. The writing created vivid scenery making you feel as though you were in that time and place. It is the perfect combination of reality and imagination and taught me a thing or two! It definitely made me want to get into the Blu ...more
harleiux12
Mar 07, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
History, intrigue and the suspense you long for

This a very good read, the author's ability to pull young to this narrative is remarkable. The names Charlie, Lead Belly, House, Muddy and my personal favorite Howlin a proverbial who's who of the Blues....remarkable, I can't wait for the next one....you can't help but feel the Blues after reading this book... The way you are almost at the Dockery plantation or in the swamp with Furry..... I can't get enough......
Shaun Deane
Interesting approach but the writing was only so-so. The arguments between Furry and main character were repetitive and the over use of 'Bahhh' as a dismissive objection wore thin. Near the end I found an incorrect use of "your" in place of "you're," which I see daily on Facebook, but in a published book? Copy editor was asleep at the switch I think.
Dennis O'Leary
Contrived

Must say after reading all the great reviews for this book I was disappointed. I'm a big fan of blues music and know all the musicians mentioned. And the thought that this drags on for two more books! All novels are contrived to some extent but this was all too much.
Bill Sanwald
Aug 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
I really enjoyed this book. Being a life long blues fan I was familiar with the names in the book. Loved the way fact and fiction were woven together. I can't wait for the other two books in the trilogy.
Rick
May 04, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting idea and a pretty good story. It's a relatively easy read, though it helps if you know your history of the blues. I think I'll reserve final judgement until I've read the rest of the series, once they appear.
Andrew
Nov 28, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Two different eras: the early nineteenth century and a cast of legendary and historical bluesmen; the new Millenium and a young man in a search for his father. And connecting both is the Crossroads, and the menace of watching Klansmen.
Laura H Bosch
Interesting, just OK

Very interesting story combining fact and fiction. I found myself feeling annoyed early on and skipping ahead. The writing is amateurish at best and I'm not sure if the story is good enough for me to overlook it.
Jonathan Morken
Mar 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Surprisingly engaging read!

The modern day story line didn't grab me at first, but the author successfully used it to make the shock of racism all the more visceral. Really a fun read.
Carol
Dec 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really interesting dramatization of the beginning of the blues. Richard Brock really brings the fathers of the blues to life - especially Charlie Patton. Disturbing portrayal of the racism and violence that goes with it that has existed in the South for its entire history.
Gwen
Mar 17, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was interesting, but I don't plan to read more in the series.
Marilyn Sanko

• Free Outside: A Trek Against Time and Distance
  • Desert Soliloquy: A Perfectly Sane Misanthrope Hides in the Desert
  • Travels with Hafa: In Search of Ourselves
  • Untamed: The Wildest Woman in America and the Fight for Cumberland Island
  • Broke, USA: From Pawnshops to Poverty, Inc. - How the Working Poor Became Big Business
  • Welcome to the United States of Anxiety: Observations from a Reforming Neurotic
  • Freedom Is a Constant Struggle
  • The Dog Who Took Me Up a Mountain: How Emme the Australian Terrier Changed My Life When I Needed It Most
  • You Deserve Each Other
  • Nomadland: Surviving America in the Twenty-First Century
  • The Nantucket Inn (Nantucket Beach Plum Cove, #1)
  • The Addict In Aisle 7: How I Met God (And Myself) Through My Body
  • Mistakes Were Made (But Not by Me): Why We Justify Foolish Beliefs, Bad Decisions, and Hurtful Acts
  • The Age of Anxiety
Richard M. Brock is the independent author of Cross Dog Blues (2015) and Up A Tree (February 2, 2021). He maintains 4.7-star average reader review and over 18,000 Facebook followers. “This is storytelling at its best,” says Fortean Times Magazine. And from Kirkus Reviews: “poignant” “heartening” “insightful” “Brock’s prose is a perfect blend of Mark Twain-style color undercut by modern humor.” “Tr ...more