Start by marking “The Complete Alice: Alice's Adventures in Wonderland / Through the Looking-Glass: And What Alice Found There” as Want to Read:

Lewis Carroll's Alice has been enchanting children for 150 years. Curious Alice, the bossy White Rabbit, the formidable Queen of Hearts and the Mad Hatter are among the best loved, most iconic literary creations of all time.

Macmillan was the original publisher of Alice in 1865 and is proud to remain true to the vision of its creators. This stunning anniversary treasury rep
Published July 4th 2015 by Macmillan Children's Books

Start your review of The Complete Alice: Alice's Adventures in Wonderland / Through the Looking-Glass: And What Alice Found There
Susan
Oct 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Alice completists

The Complete Alice 150th Anniversary Edition
Review of ISBN 9781447275992

The Complete Alice was published by Macmillan, the original publisher of Lewis Carroll’s Alice, to mark the 150th anniversary of the most famous children’s classic of all time.

The cover image can’t do justice to this gorgeous hardcover edition. The cover itself is richly embossed with a cream-on-white design featuring Alice in Wonderland characters, and a die-cut hole revealing an end paper which also has a hole in it to cre

Madeline
It's hard to chose a rating when you read a collection of stories in one book.

5 Stars for Alice in Wonderland.

3 Stars Through the Looking Glass: the chapters seemed so disjointed and unrelated. Definitely not as interesting as Alice in Wonderland, either. I think I only really enjoyed the chapter with the Queens.

2 Stars Alice's Adventures Underground: it's not really a story, more like an outline for Alice in a Wonderland.

2 Stars Hunting of the Snark.

3 Stars for the average. Lewis Carroll s
aPriL does feral sometimes
This Kindle ebook edition of all of the books that Lewis Carroll wrote for Alice contains:

Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland
Through the Looking-Glass, and What Alice Found There
Alice’s Adventures Under Ground
The Nursery “Alice”
The Hunting of the Snark

Do not worry, gentle reader! I have perversely decided on no spoilers in this review, despite that almost everybody has seen a movie version of these books! The plots are a little dull to describe for adults anyway except for those of us who immediate
Vampire-lk
Enjoyed listening to this audiobook!! Seen all the film adaptations!!!! It is a re-read from my childhood, but always enjoy it!!!!
Thomas
I thought that I wouldn't like this book for the same reason I didn't really like Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland movie - it tried to make up for actual humour with plain weirdness. However, I really enjoyed the original Alice books, because of the layered conversations Alice has with the creatures, and all the wordplay that goes on within these conversations. If there's one thing I didn't like, it was how anticlimactic the endings were. (view spoiler) ...more
Preyal
Feb 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Enjoyed reading the book. I had seen many adaptations of the book in movies, however, reading this nonsensical saga was an amazing experience altogether. This is one of those books which is clearly ahead of its times!! Lewis Carroll loved children and his motto seemed to be bringing joy and smiles to them which I'm sure he's achieved and has gone beyond it, ensuring that adults reminisce about their childhood and smile as well!!

I loved the definition of lesson and the crocodile poem in the firs
Sarah Marie
Complete Alice in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll, Leah Moore, John Reppion, & Erica Awano

I do enjoy the tale of Alice in Wonderland. The Disney movie was one of my favorite growing up. It was so fantastic and far out there with all the talk of unbirthdays, singing flowers, oyster eating, and maniacal laughter. I've always been heavily influenced by the tale. I have only read Alice in Wonderland so Through the Looking Glass is a new tale for me, one I think that I'd prefer to have read phys

Lucy Wickham
Jul 25, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 0-standalone
That was one of the strangest books I have ever read!

Ratings:
Alice In Wonderland - 3.5/5, Decided to listen to this one on audio as I thought it would make more sense as I was struggling to follow the story properly when reading. I was still a bit confused though, but it was still enjoyable reading the original story.
Through The Looking Glass - 4/5, I seemed to be able to follow this one a lot easier so just read this instead of listening to the audio. Some of the story still did not make sense
Sylvia
Jun 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
To be fair, I'm pretty much always reading this book. I have a slight Lewis Carroll obsession. I actually tracked down his original Alice drawings the other day, pretty awesome! Still love the Tenniel drawings though. I will read bits of this book when I'm stressed or sad, or trying to remember a quote. Other parts I've memorized and torture my students with at random. This book always has something new for me. For as long as I live, Wonderland will always be my favorite playground.
Nagisa Furukawa
By giving it 2 stars for "it was ok", I'm not saying that this book was bad or anything, I'm just saying that as an individual I did not enjoy reading any of the stories.
Yes, when you read all the articles written on this book (these stories) you'll see how wonderful and beyond imagination it was (or still is). But as a story? Not so much.
I was actually bored all through the book. Alice wasn't a likable character, and her adventures were more annoying.
That's just me though.
Benjamin (The Maniac)
2016 Reading Challenge: #1 A book at least 100 years older than you.

This was a beautiful edition but sorry, I just don't get the idea of Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, maybe I'm stupid or I don't know, but I don't like this silly stories.

I'm sure Lewis Carroll fell in love with a kid (pedophilia). Sorry bad joke, but really guys think about it.
Elizabeth
Jul 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A pleasure to read and re-read.
asmaa🌻
May 27, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: shelf-classics
4.5/5 stars
Ingrid
Apr 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
Oh, how I love Alice in Wonderland. <3
Even though it doesn't (really) have a plot, it's so enjoyable.
Peter Tillman
Of course, what I remember -- aside from bits & pieces -- are Sir John Tenniel's wonderful illustrations : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Te...
Study for "Alice's Evidence", c. 1864. Wow.
Here's the full set, all PD: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Ca...
Worth spending some time on! And I will. RSN....

I wonder who got the paper copy from our family library? Likely my mother's, via her mother. Hmm. It wasn't me! Darn it.
Steve Bouchard
Aug 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I don't think I've ever read the entire stories of "Alice in Wonderland" or "Though the Looking Glass," so this compendium was a treat to find. It would be presumptuous of me to critique the stories themselves, so instead I'll center on the presentation of this Kindle edition.

In a word: Complete. Not only does the collection contain "Alice's Adventures in Wonderland" and "Though the Looking-Glass...," but it also contains: a deleted chapter; the original text of the story written for the real Al
Kyle
Oct 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Now I get media references, woo! I loved the story. It was quirky and there was a lot of word play. I wonder if Douglass Adams got his inspiration from Alice? I understand now that the Queen of Hearts is different from the Red Queen, which I was lead to believe that they were the same queen.

Alice is a curious little girl (Not a young adult or teenager as sometimes portrayed in media) that easily gets frustrated. This is because many she meets berate and scold her for what she says or thinks. In
Natalía Papadopoúlou
May 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Trippy with double meanings ;)

This collection of books said that will take about 4 hours to read. I’ve been stopping every now and then to think and google of the meaning behind the lines. You see, Alice is a small girl that grows up and the famous story of her being in wonderland is just her understanding so far about the adults’ world and what is happening to her while growing up. What I didn’t think of while reading it is that “For Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland, there is no direction to th
Rachel Diamond
Emma Cappadona
May 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As per usual, the book was better than the movie! I really enjoyed this book, more than I thought I would. I was never a huge fan of the movie so I was surprised with how eager I was to move through the book. The story moved quickly and kept me very engaged and I found it very entertaining to try and catch all the word play Lewis Carroll uses throughout the book. I would definitely recommend this book to my friends!
Emily
Jun 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The book, Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, shows drug usage shown through a little girl's imagination. Although Alice's drug usage is not confirmed, it is definitely interpreted by the reader due to all aspects of the events that occur to her. She continously weeps about she is “curiouser and curiouser!” Alice falling down the rabbit hole help sparks her curiosity which really represent that drugs are causing her bizarre imaginations.
Alexandra
Alice's Adventures in Wonderland is one of my all time favorite books! I hate to say Through the Looking Glass just isn't a favorite of mine and that is why I had to take one star away. Alice's Adventures Underground seems to be just a shortened version of the first book so I am glad he chose to add more! The Hunting of the Snark was actually pretty entertaining after I read it a few times and kinda understood what was going on! Love the world of Wonderland!
Brett Ashton
I know a lot of people just love Alice in Wonderland and I'm certain I'm going to stand out as the oddball as far as that goes but I have to say that I just couldn't finish it. There is no existing sense of a plot at all. Just random and nonsensical dream after dream. I'll give it two stars just for the sake of creative imagination though.
Urszula
Feb 29, 2016 rated it did not like it
So it was one of the classic children books we read for our book club.

Just one little commnet:

This book was written by someone who was on drugs

It didn't make any sens, it was full of rubish description, horrible characters and the story line was simply terrible. And on top of that Alice was a very spoiled, selfish snob

Waste of time!

Ken
Feb 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I had read all 4 many hears ago, but I decided that they might read differently in old age. They do. But they are still wonderful in the way they had made me full of wonder way back when.
If you never read the books but saw movies, you should give them a try. I would start with Wonderland and Looking Glass.
Alessandro
«I can't tell you just now what the moral of that is, but I shall remember it in a bit»
«Perhaps it hasn't one»

«That would be nonsense»

Not my cup of T.

Didn't like that much Oxenbury's style, 'twas too heterogeneous, between full colored and black&white characters and detailed compositions and barren images.
رابعة الدلالي
a bit of nostalgia <3 ...more
Alan Wayne Potter
Throw imagination to the wind!

It's a timeless classic. Even those who feel they have no imagination will find themselves traveling through a world that is unimaginable!
Brian Lueck
Apr 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was surprised by the fantastic wordplay.
DOUGLAS J BERRY
Jul 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A short version of the lewis Carroll story.

A freebie from ghostwriter. I do prefer the original , but this is suitable for children. It keeps all the important characters and events while eliminating ideas that sidetrack.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• An Absent Mind
  • Płuczki. Poszukiwacze żydowskiego złota
  • The Aleph and Other Stories
  • Doña Bárbara
  • The Journey (Guardians of Ga'Hoole, #2)
  • A Study in Scarlet and The Sign of Four
  • El ruletista
  • El Cuaderno De Rosa
  • Starship: Mutiny (Starship, #1)
  • Królestwo popiołów. Część 1 (Szklany tron, #7A)
  • The Madman's Tale
The Reverend Charles Lutwidge Dodgson, better known by the pen name Lewis Carroll, was an English author, mathematician, logician, Anglican clergyman and photographer.

His most famous writings are Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and its sequel Through the Looking-Glass as well as the poems "The Hunting of the Snark" and "Jabberwocky", all considered to be within the genre of literary nonsense.

Oxfo