Start by marking “Footy Dreaming” as Want to Read:

Footy Dreaming

Ben and Noah play on opposing teams in a footy-obsessed
town. They each dream of playing at the G – and this is their
make or break season.

Tensions rise as sledging goes too far.

Will Noah lose his cool, and his chance, in the face of prejudice?

Will Ben reject racism and forge his own path?

Noah and Ben have the potential to play in the AFL. It’s up to
each of them whether they
Paperback, First, 190 pages
Published May 1st 2015 by Ford Street Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Footy Dreaming, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Footy Dreaming

Paul Collins
May 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
In the Australian country town of Marshall fifteen year old Noah Davis and Ben Meredith barely know each other but they share a passion – that one day they will play AFL at the highest level. Each week they play for their respective teams training hard but all the while thinking and breathing footy. These two players come from vastly different backgrounds but much of their journey is the same. Will they make it to the top?

Noah belongs to the Mavericks, a supportive team with mateship and family
Toby
Oct 08, 2015 rated it liked it
I was recommended this book by my teacher Soo. I think she choose this book for me because she knows that I love footy and like reading footy books so that’s why I think she choose the book for me. I also started reading this book Footy Dreaming because it about two boys that love there footy on opposing teams in a footy obsessed town and they both each dream for playing on the MCG in their make you break season. I’m expecting that for the rest of the book that both the boys make the AFL and pla ...more
Nikola Vukoja
Jul 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Let me start by saying I am far from the ideal target audience for Michael Hyde’s Footy Dreaming. I rarely read YA, and almost never read fiction where the protagonist(s) are male teenagers, and know practically nothing about Australian Rules football. I’m probably going to be stoned for that last comment; especially given I was raised in Melbourne. Oddly enough, after reading Footy Dreaming (in 24-hours I might add), I think I might be the ideal reviewer for those every same reasons.

Told from t
P.Sait
Jul 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
i really liked this book it was good to read and the story was awsome and i just like the way he wrote it i just got a little bit confused how he kept swaping from characters and not really telling us that he swapped
Sue Bursztynski
Apr 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved this! And I don’t even enjoy watching footy. It’s about following your dreams, it’s about friendship and family and kindness. And yes, it’s about footy! Kids playing footy.
Tim
Mar 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
By Michael Hyde
RRP $17.95
Ford Street Publishing

The saying is ‘you can’t judge a book by its cover,’ however for this book you can, it has an amazing cover and story.

When it comes to football season all eyes are turned to the two stars of the town, Ben and Noah, who share a dream of playing at the MCG. Noah is aboriginal and the book is not shy of sharing the reality of racism with the readers.

The book takes you on a journey with the boys who are trying to make it into the Bushrange
Sue
May 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I read this book in a day. I spent the afternoon of Mothers Day totally wrapped up in the world of Noah and Ben, the central characters in this novel. Both boys are at the top of their footy game, playing on opposing teams in the local comp. Noah Davis lives with his parents and older brother, Chris, in the town of Marshall, where he plays for the Mavericks. Ben Meredith, who plays for the Kookaburras, lives with his father and younger sister.
After a racism-fuelled incident on the footy field w
Emily Meldrum

By Michael Hyde

Ford Street Publishing

RRP $17.95

ISBN 978-1-925000-99-3

Michael Hyde's new novel Footy Dreaming weaves a complex tale. It tells of two fifteen-year-old country boys from Marshall, who both dream of one day playing AFL at the MCG.

Robyn Donoghue
Shelves: favorites

Noah Davis plays for the Mavericks under the inclusive and kind-hearted coach Harry O'Grady – affectionately known as HOG. Unfortunately for Ben Meredith, who plays for the Kookaburras, he is coached by the racist and aggressive Mr Elliot, who even HOG accuses of 'turning kids into thugs'. Both boys need to be selected by the
Rachel
Dec 10, 2015 rated it really liked it

Sandra Shannon
May 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
A new novel by Michael Hyde. The story is set in a country town in Victoria. The two main characters, Noah and Ben are very good AFL footballers hoping to make the big time. The two boys play in opposing teams and don't spend time together at school. Everything changes when their two teams play each other and Noah is racially vilified. Because Ben befriends Noah, he is caste out by his coach and team-mates. Really good descriptions of AFL football and a book football followers will identify with ...more
Jennie
Dec 05, 2015 rated it liked it
Footy dreaming turned out be a pleasant surprise, once I survived the kick by kick match commentary in the second chapter; proving to be a gritty, authentic novel about prejudice, rural town life, following your dreams and measuring true friendship. This will prove particularly popular with male teenagers and it is good to see positive messages about sportsmanship and accepting differences in a realistic and down to earth novel.
Robyn
Jun 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Great book. Central theme if AF footy, but deals with racism & living in a small town. Excellent read.
Kendall
Jun 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Great coming of age narrative. A novel that explores racism, identity and unlikely friendships. Really enjoyed it.
Sue Warren