Start by marking “A Monster Calls” as Want to Read:
A Monster Calls

A Monster Calls

4.37  ·  Rating details ·  159,126 Ratings  ·  28,425 Reviews
The bestselling novel about love, loss and hope from the twice Carnegie Medal-winning Patrick Ness.

Conor has the same dream every night, ever since his mother first fell ill, ever since she started the treatments that don't quite seem to be working. But tonight is different. Tonight, when he wakes, there's a visitor at his window. It's ancient, elemental, a force of natur
Paperback, Un-illustrated, 237 pages
Published May 7th 2015 by Walker Books (first published May 5th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about A Monster Calls, please sign up.

Cait
Sep 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You can also find this review on my blog, Cait's Corner!

First things first: This almost never happens, but I have to admit that I cried at the end of this book; I clutched my cute little kitty-kat and bawled.

However, I didn't cry because of what the book in general, necessarily, but because of what it did to me. It drags out your saddest memories and pains, kicking and screaming, makes you look them right in the face and watch them all happen all over again, no matter how much you don't want
Zoë
Dec 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Please excuse my ramblings, I read A Monster Calls in three hours and I am still extremely emotional. I should not have been given access to a computer after such a powerful book.

As I am writing this, there are still tears coursing down my face--black from my mascara. I may look like something straight out of a horror movie, but my soul feels lighter somehow. I was fooled into thinking this would be a simple story as it is only 200 pages, but it is not. It is so not. This book is raw and emotion
Emily May
May 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult, 2011

I got back to my apartment in Bulgaria and thought I'd read a little bit of this novel before I went to bed. 2 hours later I was still sat in my original position but by this time I was sobbing my heart out. Literally sat there crying like a baby to myself. I doubt this book will be everyone's cup of tea but, whatever it has, it really worked it's magic on me.

I thought A Monster Calls was pretty much amazing in every way; from it's darkly beautiful illustrations (worth buying a paper copy for)
Wendy Darling
In the dark of night, when the house is still, what fears creep into your heart? For Conor O'Malley, his nightmares take the shape of a very old and very dangerous monster who visits him every night at seven minutes past midnight. He's half-convinced that these must be dreams of his fevered mind. But how can they be, when the visits are so vivid and when he finds physical evidence of the monster's existence the next day?

Conor's nightmares begin shortly after his mother starts her treatments for
Shannon
I just read this book from cover to cover.

I have no idea how to rate it.

It is the worst book I've read.

I would never be able to recommend it,

because I hated it.

It's ripped my heart in two.

It'll make you think of losing the one person who means the most to you.

Or it'll make you think of those you've already lost.

It's not a happy book, but it's an important one.
Virginia Ronan ♥ Herondale ♥
”The monster showed up just after midnight. As they do.”

Seven minutes after midnight
AND
one hour after finishing the book:

*sits in a pile of tissues and STILL weeps*

<--- This was me on Saturday.

This is me now,
four days after reading the book:

*sits down to write a proper review but immediately starts to cry again*

I can’t write a review about this book, I just can’t!!!
Heaven knows I’ve tried to, but whenever I think about “A Monster Calls” I’m tearing up again.
Just to think about this bo
Jesse (JesseTheReader)
Such a beautiful and gripping story. I feel like this is one of those books that will stay with you long after you've read it.
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
Whyin the world did I re/read this right now!

YES...THIS BOOK IS A HEART BREAKER :(

Conor's mom is dying, he won't believe it. He says she's just having her treatments and she will get better like last time.

I'm not really sure if the yew tree monster is in his mind to help him or if it's real. I like to think it is a little of both. It is there coming to Conor's window trying to get him to come out and talk to it.

I really liked the graphics in this book, they are not not oh and ah, they are just
Mischenko
Jan 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
To see this review and others, please visit www.readrantrockandroll.com

A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness is a book like no other and one that I'll never forget.

My first rating in January on this book was 4 stars. I couldn't figure out why, I just didn't love the story. I re-read it this past weekend and I've revised my review.

*This review may contain spoilers for those who haven't read the book...

I was very angry, then sad, then had mixed emotions in between. My main issue when I first read it w
karen
Nov 14, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: why-yes-i-ya
this book is a perfect modern fairy tale.

not a nice disney one with singing birds where everyone gets to go home with their prince and all of their limbs, but the older, darker kind involving foot-choppery and decimation.

lemme step back a bit. i added this book to my to-read shelf the moment i saw its cover here on goodreads.com. i knew nothing about it except that something in me bellowed "WANT!" i did not win it in the firstreads giveaway (naturally) and as more and more people began writing r
Lyn
Jan 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
TEAR JERKER ALERT!

TEAR JERKER ALERT!

OMG, I’m a 40-plus-year-old DUDE and I almost lost it a couple of times.

There is not always a happy ending. I know this, we all know this, in life as in fiction. Hell, I even welcome it sometimes and give a “meh” to too cheesy a Hollywood ending or even a thumbs down to a deus ex machina. As any reader of Cormac McCarthy knows, sometimes the best ending is not the one that leaves us all warm and fuzzy.

Patrick Ness’s 2011 short novel was based on a concept from
Steph Sinclair

A Monster Calls has to be the most inventive book I've read this year. And I find myself struggling to put in words how much this book has touched me. But it did. If you haven't read A Monster Calls, I suggest you immediately purchase it. Don't read the e-book because you would miss out on the amazing artwork. This book is stunning. Masterfully written and beautifully drawn.

I remember the first time a book made me cry like this. I was in eighth grade in my English class, sitting under my desk i
Lia Bonnibel  (pidgey)
Someone please send some chocolate, a hug, and possibly some Irish scotch my way.
I think I'm dying.

If I'm not dead already, that is.

It's half past midnight, I'm an ugly sobbing mess and I think that noise I just heard was either my soul ascending to another dimension or my heart -or what's left of it-
breaking in my chest.
I feel nothing but numbness right now, though, so it could easily be both.

I hate this book so much.
It touched me in some very sensitive spots, rubbed its salty and bookish
AMEERA
Jan 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorite
my favorite book until i die
Reynje
I don’t think I can write a review for this book. I feel neither equipped, nor inclined, to make an evaluation of A Monster Calls based strictly on its literary style and merits. (Therefore, if you’re looking for an analysis of the plot, characters etc – you will be better served with another review).

So I’m writing a response instead. Or, I will attempt to.

I have a difficult relationship with books that deal with the subject of death and grief.

Occasionally, I find a book that is moving and re
Sabaa Tahir
Oct 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Tears. Lots of them.
Lola
Feb 05, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Lola by: Alejandro
A Monster Calls did not constitute what I first visualized in term of story, plot and themes.

Due to the spooky cover, mystifying title and evasive blurb, my mind pictured something closer to the fantasy world than our contemporary one. Yet, the author remarkably brought together the real and the unreal, inserted in the narration that which touches one, can tear another apart and is a component of what we call ‘‘life,’’ and skilfully unfolded what laid deep inside Conor hidden…in the fragile corn
Mikee Andrea (ReadWithMikee)

❝Your mind will believe comforting lies while also knowing the painful truths that make those lies necessary. And your mind will punish you for believing both.❞

Thank you Goodreads for graciously sending me a signed copy of A Monster Calls!

I'm not crying because this book is sad. I'm crying because this book is my story. It's my family's story. It's my mom's story. A Monster Calls was a difficult book to read. I've seen many readers say they've cried because of the words written on these page
Alejandro
Aug 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is great book!

A BOOK FOR EVERYBODY

Very quick to read so if you are interested on it.

You'll find out that you'd read it in no time.

Also, it helps that it's a page turner, since the story has many elements to keep you hooked to it.

I hate to classify books for some specific age, since I think that books shouldn't have any age or genre.

Books should be read by men or women at any age and they should be as good as effective.

However, one can't deny that the author made this story thinking i
Charlotte May
“Who am I?” The monster repeated. “I am the spine the mountains hang upon! I am the tears the rivers cry! I am the lungs that breathe the wind!...I am everything untamed and untameable! I am this wild earth, come for you Conor O’Malley.”

I enjoyed this tale, though I have to admit I wasn’t as blown away as the masses of other reviewers seemed to be.
I’ve read a lot of books on tough topics, including illness and while I believe this one was done very well it didn’t stand out from among many oth
Chelsea Humphrey
Maureen
Oct 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
BOOKTUBEATHON 2016 BOOK #7

Well I am a hot mess of emotions right now. This book was so good and so important. It handled grief so well and I just...I am emotional. I think this book is very important and that lots of people should read it and yeah, that's about it.
THERE WERE TEARS.
Kai
Apr 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, owned
“Stories are wild creatures. When you let them loose, who knows what havoc they might wreak?”

description

Find more of my books on Instagram
Mohammed Arabey
Jan 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's not a story, it's A Monster.

Don't read it if u r upset..or have a fearing.. don't read it if u lost someone close...don't r
Read it..get it all out..Call the Monster..
"القصص كائنات وحشية، عندما تطلقها من يدري ما الدمار الذي يمكن ان تخلفه"
“Stories are wild creatures, When you let them loose, who knows what havoc they might wreak?”
It's not a story, it's a Wreaking Ball.

وهذه القصة مقصود أن تخلف دمارا، وجعا بالروح..عن الألم، الحزن، الفقدان، العيش بعد موت
A friend told me it's a life lesson.. no,
Justin
Dec 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I feel like every time I love a YA book I start my review with "I don't read a lot of YA, but..."

So, I don't read a lot of... I mean... Hang on...

Patrick Ness is the best YA author out there. If you haven't read the Chaos Walking trilogy then please put everything in your life on hold and go find a copy of The Knife of Never Letting Go. This is the only book I've read from him outside of that series, but this book is just as amazing. I would also recommend picking up a physical copy of the book
Regan
May 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My heart is aching.
Grace (BURTSBOOKS)
Feb 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
Patrick Ness never disappoints me, so I naturally knew going into this it was going to be impeccable but Jesus nothing could’ve prepared me for how hard this hit.

It was sad and extremely powerful and heartbreaking, and immediately after I was finished reading, I gave both my parents the biggest hug.

The art was beautiful and dark and went perfectly with the story. My only problem with this book was that it didn't make me cry like sooo many people promised it would. Maybe I’m just cold-hearted a
Heather 'Bookables'
Holy crap this book BROKE me!
Ariel
Oct 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When going into this book, I was expecting a horror/creepy/spooky story, and that isn't what I got.. exactly. What I mean is that the overall tone of the book is creepy, and the drawings definitely are spooky, but the story itself is a contemporary tale about a boy trying to understand the feelings he has in regards to his mothers illness.

I loved this book. I loved it. It is absolutely now one of my "all-time favourites". Here's why:

1) The illustrations: The artwork in this book is BEAUTIFUL. It
J.L.   Sutton
When a monster shows up and talks with 13-year old Conor in Patrick Ness’s A Monster Calls, the question behind why it has ‘come walking’ immediately arises. Has it appeared to do mischief to Conor or has Conor summoned it and, if so, summoned it to do what? The writing, especially when the monster is around, evokes dreams, faraway lands and ancient creatures. As soon as the monster begins to relate a set of stories, even though I liked the stories, A Monster Calls, along with the issues Conor i ...more
  • The Curse of the Wendigo (The Monstrumologist, #2)
  • Everybody Sees the Ants
  • Lips Touch: Three Times
  • Froi of the Exiles (Lumatere Chronicles, #2)
  • Okay for Now
  • Addie on the Inside (The Misfits, #3)
  • Bog Child
  • Cuckoo Song
  • No Crystal Stair: A Documentary Novel of the Life and Work of Lewis Michaux, Harlem Bookseller
  • Midwinterblood
  • Fury
  • The Reluctant Journal of Henry K. Larsen
  • My Name Is Mina (Skellig, #0.5)
  • Bluefish
  • Hidden
  • Rotters
  • Chime
  • Tales from Outer Suburbia
Patrick Ness, an award-winning novelist, has written for England’s Radio 4 and Sunday Telegraph and is a literary critic for The Guardian. He has written many books, including the Chaos Walking Trilogy, The Crash of Hennington, Topics About Which I Know Nothing, and A Monster Calls.

He has won numerous awards, including the Guardian Children’s Fiction Prize, the Booktrust Teenage Prize, and the Co
More about Patrick Ness

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Son of the Dawn (Ghosts of the Shadow Market #1)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Sanctuary (Nomad, #2)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Genome (The Extinction Files #2)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • The Jewel (The Lone City, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Mechanica (Mechanica, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Wired (Wired, #1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Bandwidth (An Analog Novel Book 1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Sufficiently Advanced Magic (Arcane Ascension, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Three Dark Crowns (Three Dark Crowns, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Bees
    $12.99 $1.99
  • The Land: Founding (Chaos Seeds, #1)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • The Mists of Avalon (Avalon, #1)
    $12.99 $2.99
  • Fool's Assassin (The Fitz and The Fool Trilogy, #1)
  • Gone (Gone, #1)
  • Friday
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Dhalgren
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Conjure (Hoodoo Apprentice)
    $5.99 $0.00
  • Moon Chosen (Tales of a New World #1)
    $8.51 $2.99
  • Homeworld (Odyssey One, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Recurve (The Elemental Series, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Deviants (Dust Chronicles #1)
    $4.49 $0.99
  • Before She Ignites (Fallen Isles, #1)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • When Gravity Fails (The Budayeen Cycle, 1)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Philip K. Dick's Electric Dreams
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Thirteen
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Kill Society (Sandman Slim, #9)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Out of the Black (Odyssey One, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Acacia: The War with the Mein (Acacia, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Menagerie
    $3.99 $1.99
“You do not write your life with words...You write it with actions. What you think is not important. It is only important what you do.” 4894 likes
“There is not always a good guy. Nor is there always a bad one. Most people are somewhere in between.” 3884 likes