Start by marking “Nido de pesadillas” as Want to Read:
Nido de pesadillas

Nido de pesadillas

Atrévete a entrar en el Nido de Pesadillas de Lisa Tuttle, trece relatos terroríficos de una de las más destacadas autoras de terror y fantasía de todos los tiempos.

"Nido de bichos"
"Hamburguesa de carne de muñeca"
"Bienes compartidos"
"Volando a Bizancio"
"Recorriendo el laberinto"
"El señor de los caballos"
"La otra madre"
"Necesidad"
"La memoria de la madera"
"Cuando te necesita
Published May 2015 by Nevsky (first published December 31st 1986)

Start your review of Nido de pesadillas
Justin Tate
Jan 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It’s rare for short story collections to be gripping throughout. Most of them are like pop albums--one or two good entries and a bunch of filler. Even great short story writers, such as Raymond Carver, Shirley Jackson, Alice Munro and E.A. Poe, have published duds bearing their name. And, to be fair, I’m sure Lisa Tuttle has written clunkers as well. There just aren't any included here.

A Nest of Nightmares, first published in 1986 and not ever in the United States until now, is a superb collecti
Sadie Hartmann
Nov 25, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scream-mag
Writing up my review for SCREAM Mag now but if you desire a collection of feminist horror, all stories involving a female protagonist in various disturbing situations...this one is for you.
Valancourt Books

Ebook
Website | Amazon US
Graeme Dunlop
Feb 04, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What an appropriate title for this collection of short stories! Every story is, indeed, the stuff of nightmares. Most are in decidedly normal and ordinary settings which begin to skew toward the inexplicable and insane.

I think the best word to associate with this book is "unease". All the stories left me feeling edgy and unquiet. The first story, in particular, left me feeling almost unclean.

You might be left with the impression I didn't like this book but, in fact, I did. It's difficult to do t
Chris DiLeo
Jan 01, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Valancourt Line of reissued "Paperbacks from Hell" is such a glorious treat for horror fans. It is particularly wonderful for those of us who have fond memories of 1980s horror—the garish covers, the over-the-top taglines, the pulpy madness of monsters and violence and gore.

For Christmas, my wife gifted me the entire 13-book line of "Paperbacks from Hell," and I chose to start with Lisa Tuttle's shorty story collection, A NEST OF NIGHTMARES. How could I resist that somehow squirm-inducing co
Cody | CodysBookshelf
A vintage horror story collection of the highest order, Lisa Tuttle’s Nest of Nightmares (1986) will soon see a widespread republication thanks to Valancourt Books, and if any old-school horror release deserves a bigger readership it’s this one. I paid an ungodly amount for my first edition paperback; it was worth every dollar.

I’ve been a fan of Tuttle’s since reading Lost Futures last year. That book was certainly more psychological, metaphorical, and fantastical than full-on horror. I’d say t
Bill Hsu
Mar 22, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook
"The Nest" is the highlight of the collection for me, with the troubling sisterly interactions, atmosphere of creeping unease, and quietly horrific, open-ended non-resolution.

More notes here: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...
Alex
Feb 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“Lisa Tuttle’s specialty is domestic terror, frequently with a feminist slant, focusing on families breaking up, women under pressure, and the insidious intrusion of supernatural evil into an already fractured normality.” Stephen Jones and Kim Newman encouraged me to read this with their “Horror: 100 Best Books” essay collection. I’m glad they did.

Tuttle has a scholarly awareness of the recurring themes in the many styles of horror, and knows just where to apply torque. THE OTHER MOTHER revisits
Alex (The Bookubus)
This collection of thirteen short stories includes lots of interesting themes such as hopelessness, loneliness, isolation, existentialism, belonging, wish fulfilment. Most of the stories are female focused and relate to being a women, and involve relationships, motherhood, and family.

My favourites were:
Bug House - a great, creepy opening story about a woman who visits her aunt and finds the house and her aunt are not in great shape.
Community Property - a couple going through a divorce have to d
Tom A.
Jul 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Plague Review 18: A Nest of Nightmares by Lisa Tuttle

Lisa Tuttle is a writer with a career on two fronts: horror and science fiction/fantasy. I don't have an opinion on her science fiction writing (I don't have an affinity for the genre), but I can vouch for her skill in delivering brilliant horror tales. My first encounter with her work was the short story "Objects in Dreams may be Closer than they Appear" in the House of Fear anthology, and I can say that it is one of the few ghost stories
Gavin
Feb 04, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
13 stories featuring a female protagonist covering many horror subgenres.

13 SUPERB stories that had me hooked.

I'm surprised I've not heard more about this book as it really is an outstanding collection that should be on every horror readers bookshelf.

From the weird, to the violent, to the terrifying, to the haunting this book rarely dips in quality. I must say that I loved Treading The Maze, a haunting folk horror that really squeezed the heart a little too tightly.
Sarah Marie
Nov 27, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 stars. This is a strong collection. It has some fantastic stories and I'm really looking forward to dipping my toe into some more feminist horror. Review to come. ...more
Angela
Aug 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What an exceptional collection! The first four tales in the collection range from themes of a creature feature to haunted dolls to being trapped in another world. The rest of the tales in the collection have more of a gothic flavor, and are so beautiful and haunting. I adored every single one. I especially love the range of women’s and girls’ experiences, fears, and perspectives explored here.
Lynda Rucker
Dec 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015-reading
I just reread this for the time in a couple of decades and it's even better than I remembered it being (and I remembered it being excellent). A brilliant collection of horror fiction, highly recommended--and although this copy is out of print and tough to find, it's available on Kindle in the UK! ...more
Amy Gentry
Loved this. I had no idea that these thirteen stories in the "weird tales" tradition would engage so directly with what it means to be a woman and an artist. I particularly loved the highly personal feel of "Bug House," "Flying to Byzantium," and "The Other Mother," but all the stories were entertaining and quite a few were chilling. Throw in that Tuttle was born in Houston (went to Kinkaid!) and lived briefly in Austin, where she was a founder of the Turkey City Writer's Workshop, and I'm just ...more
Signor Mambrino
Jan 30, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great collection. Some awesome stories.
Matthew Bielawa
Feb 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a great collection of short stories! The author Lisa Tuttle is very careful with her words and pacing to build a sense of uneasiness.

I enjoyed each and every story, but some of them really stood out: Treading the Maze (nice example of folk horror), Dollburger (yeah, that one chilled me to the bone nice and quickly), The Memory of the Wood (ooh, antiques), Need, and the Nest. Wow...I could just about name them all!

Perry
Oct 13, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An extremely unnerving collection of strange stories from Lisa Tuttle with hardly a misstep among its ranks. A few of the stories in here are among the most emotionally devastating works of weird fiction of the 80s. Highly recommended.
Nate
Impeccable, unsettling, and possibly the best PBFH release.
Kylie
The writing is exceptional, but overall I just disliked or didn't care for the majority of the stories. Sailing to Byzantium felt personal and vicious to me, which is a sign of great skill, but I frequently felt like I wanted to throw the book across the room.

I did enjoy a couple of the stories, such as Treading the Maze, The Horse Lord and The Memory of Wood - but sometimes the subtlety of the events in certain of them felt unsatisfactory (The Nest suffered from this IMO, I would've enjoyed se
Ericpegnam Pegnam
This book is a rarity so I haven't read it. I'd love to find a copy of it someday. Lisa Tuttle is one of my favorite short story writers and a wonderful writer of horror stories in particular. The Horse Lord, The Nest, dollburger, Bug House are all briliant and the other stories are nothing less than provactive and engaging. Once you've tracked these stories down look for replacements in Dennis Etchison's Megahorror a wonderful story chilling and darkly funny, ironic too. Find this book or the s ...more
Katie
Absolutely stellar. If I could give it more stars, I would. I went through so many emotions while reading each story, and it's impossible to pick a favorite. So so glad I was able to get my hands on a copy after searching for so long! Very highly recommended if you come across it. ...more
James Oxyer
Nov 04, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great nightmare horror, and I loved how frequently the stories refuse to explain themselves, really pushing the line on how ambiguous is too ambiguous (which makes it all the more surreal). I really enjoyed all of them.

It's also refreshing how fleshed-out and authentic the characters and situations feel. The foreshadowing is frequently thick to the point where it's easy to guess how each story will end, but even when you know where it's headed, you're too absorbed in the world to care too much.
Randy Money
1st rate collection of ghost/horror stories from the 1980s. While a contemporary of Stephen King and Dennis Etchison, Tuttle's stories have more in common with the stories in Troubled Daughters, Twisted Wives: Stories from the Trailblazers of Domestic Suspense and the work of Shirley Jackson. Like those stories, these deal with the lives of women, and particularly the domestic side of the lives of women: a niece tries to help her aunt, two sisters try to settle into a house together, an adult wo ...more
Thomas
I've liked what I've read by Lisa Tuttle (for a long time, her Lost Futures was my favorite from the Abyss imprint), but she's never been an author whose novels have made me want to read everything she's written. A Nest of Nightmares has never pinged my radar, but I've enjoyed the Paperbacks from Hell imprint, and I do love supporting Valancourt books so they'll keep reprinting classic gems from the heyday of horror.

Like any short story collection, I liked some, disliked others, and loved a hand
Alex Jones
Feb 21, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There's very little of the grotesque in A Nest of Nightmares.

Instead, it's quiet, unsettling horror. The kind that gets under your skin and settles in the pit of your stomach so that you feel a little uncomfortable.

There's that domestic abuse analogy about a frog in a pot. Turn up the heat slowly enough and the frog won't realise it's being boiled alive.

This book is like that. You know something is wrong, but you can't quite put your finger on it. Then, BAM. You're a dead frog.
Mark Schiffer
Feb 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Out of print for years until recently (thanks to the Paperbacks From Hell series) this collection of 13 short weird horror stories by Lisa Tuttle is absolutely essential.
David Veith
I almost gave this one a 2, but in the end there were some good stories. Problem was there were also some not as good ones. They had no real point even! Short story books are always a crap shoot.
Robert
Really enjoyed this reissue of the previously hard-to-find collection of Tuttle's short stories. I'd forgotten how absolutely brutal the heroine's fate is in "Bug House" and how perfectly Kafka-esque the situation is in "Flying to Byzantium." Other highlights include the perfect little chiller "Dollburger" and the poignant, elusive quality of "The Nest." Looks like Valancourt Books has another collection of Tuttle's short fiction in the works and I'm there. ...more
Briar Page
Jan 11, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm so happy this collection has gotten a re-release! Even in the weaker stories here (the Roald Dahl-esque "twist" in "Community Property" is visible from space, to the point where I thought the story would have been a lot more effectively nasty if it had *just* been about the bitterly divorcing couple putting their dog to sleep; "Need" and "The Memory of Wood" are a bit too Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark to be really memorable), Tuttle's prose is refined and evocative without being flashy o ...more
« previous 1 3 next »
Literary Horror: March 2020 monthly read: Lisa Tuttle's A Nest of Nightmares 46 70 Apr 26, 2020 05:55PM

• Black Ambrosia
  • The Pack
  • When Darkness Loves Us
  • Nightblood
  • Let's Go Play at the Adams'
  • The Spirit
  • Elizabeth
  • Night of the Mannequins
  • The Amulet
  • The Wedding of Rachel Blaine
(Wife of Colin Murray) aka Maria Palmer (house pseudonym).

Lisa Tuttle taught a science fiction course at the City Lit College, part of London University, and has tutored on the Arvon courses. She was residential tutor at the Clarion West SF writing workshop in Seattle, USA. She has published six novels and two short story collections. Many of her books have been translated into French and German e