Start by marking “Women in the Church: A Biblical Theology of Women in Ministry” as Want to Read:
Women in the Church: A Biblical Theology of Women in Ministry

Women in the Church: A Biblical Theology of Women in Ministry

Studies of key biblical passages on women's roles in the church fill entire bookshelves, if not libraries. But in Women in the Church, Stanley Grenz and Denise Muir Kjesbo offer the first in-depth theological study of this issue--one of the most bitterly contested issues of our day. Carefully considering the biblical, historical and practical concerns surrounding women and ...more
Published November 3rd 1995 by IVP Academic (first published October 31st 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Women in the Church, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Women in the Church

Francine Walsh
Apr 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
I'm a Complementarian who read this book to understand better the Egalitarian view. I believe it's an incredibly well written book and would recommend to anyone interested in the subject.
Kenneth
Nov 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I must admit I was skeptical at first wondering where this book would take its readers. By the time I was into the first couple of chapters I was hooked, wanting to see the next layer as the author peeled back the established views as one may peel an onion. The book has presented many valid points and dispelled some archaic thinking. It is a very good read and should open minds and dialogue.
Christopher Sweet
Same but fine

Same arguments as every other book on the topic. Regardless, there is much conjecture on either side. However, I still tend to see more direct biblical evidence on the complementarian position. I’m not done studying and learning though.
Jeremy
Jul 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book was exactly what I was looking for. A comprehensive survey of Scripture, history, and other topics as they relate to the question of women's roles in ministry, from a perspective differing from that in which I was raised.

The authors take a very high view of Scripture, present arguments with humility, pointing out those which are weak or based on an ambiguous point. I understand that this book was published long enough ago to be based, in part, on some out-of-date biblical scholarship,
Renee Rector
May 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book handles a hot button topic with care to the emotions that can run hot. As a complimentarian living in an egalitarian world I found the arguments presented to be fair an unbiased. Grenz and his writing partner are egalitarian, but they admit that their position is at times week. Another point to be made is a number of the arguments they make for the egalitarian stance sound a lot like the arguments my complimentarian friends would make. Overall a well done work that is informative and p ...more
Ken Garrett
Sep 22, 2014 rated it liked it
A worthy exploration of the issue of gender distinction in the pastorate, from a egalitarian perspective. While (I've been told) this work is now a bit dated, it seems to fairly present both sides of the debate. Seems to me there is a lot of freedom in this issue for each local church congregation to study the Scriptures, listen to the Spirit, and then simply decide what it believes, and go from there...
Adam Ross
Dec 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
A solid introduction to the issues regarding women in the offices of the Church. It was written some years ago now, and the hermeneutical and exegetical arguments have advanced since then, but it remains a quality introduction to the subject, and demonstrates that the hierarchical-complimentarian claims are at a distinct disadvantage, theologically speaking.
Connor Searle
Jan 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A helpful, well-researched book that opens up the ancient world to modern readers in an accessible way. Laypeople, pastors, and seminarians alike will find many of their assumptions about the role of women in the church challenged even as the enduring authority of Scripture is upheld. Thoughtful Christians on both sides of the issue would do well to read this book.
Joshua Chubb
Nov 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
A comprehensive look with adequate space to the other side given, Biblically argued from both the didactic and descriptive passages of the Bible, with a challenge to the complementarian that views leadership in the Church primarily a position of power as opposed to service.
Nicholas Quient
An excellent introduction, but pales in comparison to Philip Payne's work.
Stacy Fredrickson
Mar 07, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: EVERYONE
Shelves: bibletheology
This is a great book into understanding what the Bible says about women and their roles in the Church!!!
Liz
Jan 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
The writing is a little dry and academic, however the content of the book is great. The author covers almost every angle. Lots of helpful information.
Alan Garrett
Jul 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Great book. A great resource!
Stacey Douglas
Sep 03, 2007
David Farley
Feb 03, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Stanley James Grenz was born in Alpena, Michigan on January 7, 1950. He was the youngest of three children born to Richard and Clara Grenz, a brother to Lyle and Jan. His dad was a Baptist pastor for 30 years before he passed away in 1971. Growing up as a “pastor’s kid” meant that he moved several times in his life, from Michigan, to South Dakota, North Dakota, Montana and Colorado.

After high scho