Start by marking “Mercury Striking (Scorpius Syndrome, #1)” as Want to Read:
Mercury Striking (Scorpius Syndrome, #1)

Mercury Striking

(Scorpius Syndrome #1)

With nothing but rumors to lead her, Lynn Harmony has trekked across a nightmare landscape to find one man—a mysterious, damaged legend who protects the weak and leads the strong. He’s more than muscle and firepower—and in post-plague L.A., he’s her only hope. As the one woman who could cure the disease, Lynn is the single most volatile—and vulnerable—creature in this new ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 384 pages
Published January 26th 2016 by Zebra

Val ⚓️ Shameless, Skanky & Bitchy  ⚓️
4 Zombie Walking Dead, I Mean Ripper Stars

So you know those books you request from Netgalley...

...then realize a year later that you still haven't read?

Then you randomly open your kindle one day and it's staring right at you...

description

...Judging you and your procrastinate tendencies...

Well, that was this book for me.

Shame on me.

In fact, I requested this bad boy, blurb-unread, at the advice of a friend who deemed it a must read, if I remember correctly.

Well, after reading a couple things from this aut
Lana ❇✾Dirty Girl Romance❇✾
5 Stars

She was everything he didn’t deserve, everything good, and he’d make sure she stayed safe for the rest of her life, no matter what he had to do.

Rebecca Zanetti's Sin Brothers series was easily my favorite that I read by her...until I read this book. I'm hooked and there's no looking back. Now admittedly I'm not a reader that enjoys the post-apocalyptic world in my books. But Rebecca is one of the few authors I was willing to make an exception for because I truly love her work, and boy
Jilly
Nov 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Walking Dead fans: aren't we sad to see Rick being all afraid and non-killy? Well, you need this book. Our hero, Jax, is the leader of a group of survivors in a post-apocalyptic world after a bacteria kills most of the population, and he is a killing machine. A good killing machine. The kind we love because deep down he has a heart of gold.

It's the apocalypse. The only thing left was the Cheeto factory. Sheesh!

Unlike our heroine, Lynn, who has a heart of a blue neon light like an old K-mart spec
Claire Robinson
5 - "All the gentleman are dead, baby. Soldiers and survivors are what we have now." Stars!

If you were to tell me prior to reading Mercury Striking that I would willingly read a romantic suspense book that has the inclusion of Zombie type characters as part of its main theme, I would have promptly told you 'Hell No'. As a reader, film goer and just general human being, I do not do horror no matter what the level in any shape, type or form. But this is Rebecca Zanetti, and I just couldn’t resist.
WhiskeyintheJar/Kyraryker

****Full Review****

With a deadly disease unleashed on the world, Lynne, the former head of the CDC (Center for Disease Control) is on the run. Known as "Blue Heart" because after contracting the Scorpius disease, experiments on her to find a cure have colored her heart and the veins surrounding it blue, Lynne is trying to make it to a clinic known as "M
Denisa
Awesome!

This is one of the best dystopias I've read (and I don't say that lightly). I absolutely love the world builder and the character development.

The romance part was why it didn't get a full 5 stars from me, it didn't really tickle all my senses (what a weird thing to say, but you get the idea, right?).

Anyway, it was really well written and worth reading, especially if you like dystopias.
Astrid - The Bookish Sweet Tooth
4 Blue Heart Stars

Prettier Review @ Vanilla & Spice Books

The next world war will be between man and nature. Nature has never lost

When I read I seem to always have scenes from movies (not necessarily characters) with a similar theme in my mind and thus applying colors for the book. In this case it was the desert yellow-brown of scenes from Mad Max. Why my mind does that, no idea but it works for me to be in a certain mindset when I read to feel the atmosphere.

We are thrown into a world o
Sunny
4.5 star. ARC Review

“In individuals, insanity is rare; but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.” —Friedrich Nietzsche

Mercury Rising is an explosive debut for Rebecca Zanetti’s latest, The Scorpius Syndrome. It’s a dystopian series in which a pandemic wipes out over 90% of the population in the United States. It is unclear how the rest of the world has fared because communication is limited. The infrastructure is decimated and the government is trying to re-group. Resources are
Lonna | FLYLēF
FLYLēF Book Reviews

Mercury Striking is a nice balance of action and romance. I enjoyed the action a lot more than the romance because I find Mercury's personality to be militant, hard, and practical—perfect for a high-intensity, action thriller. Take this same personality into the bedroom, though, and I’m a bit disappointed. I find the romance to be too stiff, mechanical, and perfunctory. Nevertheless, I would recommend this book to fans who prefer a lot of action with a practical measure of romance.

{ I received t
AJ
4.5 post-apocalyptic, action-packed, exciting and romantic stars

I’m a huge Rebecca Zanetti fan. She writes fantastic action/adventure, suspenseful, sexy and romantic stories, and she’s totally nailed it with this one! Full of sensational characters living in a terrifying world, they face danger and violence and a true struggle for survival. There are lots of surprises and on-the-edge-of-your-seat excitement, and the romantic (and super-hot) love story woven throughout satisfied the romance reade
Kate's Corner
So far this book goes to the top of my favorites list on the shelf of best books of 2016.

5 ‘If I could give it more then I bloody would stars’

It’s been a long time since I can say that I can give a book 5 stars or more. A big thank you and smackeroo to Kensington Press for this book.

From this sentence alone I was hooked.

She forced strength into her voice. “You don’t want to kill me without taking me to Mercury first.” Jax Mercury, to be exact. If he still lived. If not, she was screwed anyway.
Marta Cox
May 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-reviews, netgalley
Mercury Striking is listed as number one in the Scorpius Syndrome series but I feel it only fair to warn other readers that there's a prequel entitled Scirpius Rising in the anthology On The Hunt that really sets the scene . Lynne Harmony worked for the CDC but became infected by a mutated strain of an alien bacteria. Worse still although Lynne has pulled through millions across the world have succumbed to the deadly infection and now Lynne is hunted but this clever woman has a plan.
Jax Mercury
Mindy Lou's Book Review
I know this is labeled book one, but you really need to read the .5 novella first. Scorpius Rising (The Scorpius Syndrome #0.5) by Rebecca Zanetti It gives you the very beginning of the bacteria outbreak. What caused it, what they tried to do to cure it and even some of the characters that will play a big part in this series. I think some readers would be confused in the beginning if they jump into this book first.

I found a great description of what The Scorpius bacteria is and what it does to people. This was in a training session our main character Jax q
Rachel
Overall rating: 4.5 "Blue Heart" stars!

Triggers:
Cheating: (view spoiler)
Love triangle: (view spoiler)
Sex with om/ow: (view spoiler)
Intimate pasts: (view spoiler)
Izy
Aug 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016, arc, net-galley
Rating~ 4.5 stars

An ARC was generously provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest opinion.

I might be (ok alot biased) since I really enjoy and love Ms. Zanettis books that I had to request for an ARC. And I read this book while I was on my flight to my holiday destination which made it a hell of a interesting flight.

I would suggest everyone read the anthology On the Hunt because it introduces the world of scorpius syndrome and it features a great couple as well. I have surmised what ha
Holly
Feb 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance, 2018-read
Imagine a world where a new bacteria gets released that causes pretty much everyone to either:
a) Die (most of the time)
b) Become a mindless/dumb killer
c) Become a genius serial killer with no empathy or
d) Become something somehow "more" than you were before

This is the world this book is set in - it's like a dystopian zombie book only with killers instead of zombies. I found the concept to be interesting but there were some things that I picked up on in the book that kind of annoyed me a
Tanja ~ T's Book ~ KT Book Reviews
If you haven’t read Scorpius Rising from the On The Hunt anthology, stop and read it now. It isn’t a “must”, but in my opinion it really sets the stage for Mercury Striking.

Fans of an apocalyptic type read will no doubt devour this one. It us unlike anything I have read from Zanetti before. I’d say that Walking Dead meets the Sin brothers is the best way to describe it. The world has changed, and those that have survived it are either enhanced, or worse: a zombie-like creature set on tearing you
Sep 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
ARC received for review

Good start to a new series. Lots of back story of course which made it slow in parts. Great chemistry, romance and hot bedroom scenes between Lynne and Jax. Lots of crazy people aka Rippers running around creating chaos. Great secondary characters that I can't wait to know more about, but Ms. Zanetti is on my poop list for one thing.
nick
Jul 09, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: did-not-finish

HE BEAT HER WITH A BELT.

I don't care if they are in a "primitive society" as the asshole called it but beating a woman is never okay.
And then to have them have sex in the same day without an apology? Yeah no.

Authors stop romanticising abuse.
Anna's Herding Cats

Reviewed for herding cats & burning soup.

Ooooo Rebecca Zanetti! *grabby hands* I was crazy excited for a new series from Zanetti. The woman can write action and suspense like you wouldn't believe and a new world kicking off with a pretty badass cover? I'm in!

The quick of it is that the world has been hit with a deadly bacteria. Billions are dead and the world is pretty much a gritty war zone. One the heroine (who many blame for the horrors they've been through) is desperately crossing in ord
Ezinwanyi
Full review at Oh My Shelves Blog
I think the author definitely elevated her game in this book. I admit that I love Rebecca Zanetti’s writing. Whenever I open her book, I feel confident that I will get both a good plot and likeable characters. While this novel book was no exception, she really took time to lay the foundation to what I believe will be an exciting new series.

I read the prequel awhile ago and I don’t remember much from it. So I don’t feel like it affected my enjoyment of this book.
Ally
Sep 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book? It makes the next five books that I read after it look meh in comparison.

obsessed

Scandalicious TBR Lottery Challenge

Series: Yes

Sexy times: Hotsie Totsie but nothing that pushes the boundaries of vanilla

Plan on reading more by the author: I think you already know how I feel.

Synopsis
- Crazy world gone dystopian at the behest of a mad and bad virus
- One woman, who we meet in the previous book, Blue Heart, who might be the key to saving humanity. Or not.
- One man, holding his own and holding 5
maggieandteddy
Jan 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: wish-list
I really was taking a 180 from my usual genre. I've been wanting to branch out. So I picked this book.
Sci-Fi, with some romance thrown in. I have other Zanetti books in my library, but I wanted to start with book one in this Series.
I took my sweet time reading this. I'm not a skimmer, but I really read word for word. I really got into the futurist post-apocalyptic thriller. There's really no date given, but I got the impression that this could have taken place in the very near future.
Scorpius
Beth
Dec 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Lynn Harmony is in search of freedom. Blamed for starting the Scorpius Syndrome, she is hunted and a pariah to mankind. Her hope lies in Jax Mercury, a leader in the Vanguard group and survivors of this plague.

Zanetti has two very powerful characters that bring this story to life. The hostile world climate is on the brink of imploding and you can truly believe Jax and Lynn have what it takes to survive but I wasn’t 100% all in to them being a couple.

I was very excited when I found out about a n
Lexxie (un)Conventional Bookworms
*I received a free copy of Mercury Striking from Zebra via Netgalley in exchange of an honest and unbiased review*

Mercury Striking is a very powerful dystopia suspense novel, where most technology is down, and what is left of humanity is fighting against a horrible bacteria for survival.
Julia's Book Haven
*4.5 Stars*
☕️Kimberly
Dec 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Breakdown of Mercury Striking

World: An outbreak caused by bacteria has killed most of the population. Survivors come in all forms and not all of them are good for the future of humanity.  The US is in shambles, and folks have no idea if the government still stands. Jax Mercury is a troubled solider who sets up a stronghold in L.A. protecting the weak. Lynn Harmony is a wanted woman who risks everything to ask Jax for help. Lynn may hold the key to a cure. L.A. is broken up into territories rul
RachelW (BamaGal)
Feb 27, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc

Let me say right off the bat that I have struggled with Zanetti's books in the past. This new apocalyptic series, however, looks to be right up my alley. Mercury Striking is not a perfect read by any means. The wordbuilding for the setting could be a little better; but overall I am quite pleased with the book and this world.

Lynne Harmony is the nation's top microbiologist. When a pandemic begins after a highly infectious bacteria is brought to earth during a meteor shower, she is brought in by t
Yomi M.
Jan 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Rating Clarification: 4.5 stars

It had romance, action and Jax Mercury! What more could I ask for? I loved it! My only complaint was that I thought the ending felt rushed, things happened too quickly for my taste. I can't wait for Raze's book, August is so far away.
Lyn
  • Edge of Temptation (The Edge, #2)
  • On the Hunt (The Sentinels, #2.5; Immortal Guardians, #5.5; Underworld Detection Agency, #6.5; The Scorpius Syndrome #0.5)
  • Salvation (Defiance, #3)
  • Nobody's Hero (Burned Lands, #1)
  • Shifter Planet
  • Daybreak (Dark Age Dawning, #3)
  • Gabe (Hell Squad, #3)
  • Night Forbidden (Envy Chronicles, #5)
  • Driven (Northern Waste, #1)
  • Trial and Temptation (Mandrake Company, #2)
  • Silent Warrior (Dragon Kings, #0.5)
  • Ashwin (Gideon’s Riders, #1)
  • Essential Beginnings (Surviving Ashes, #1)
  • Behind the Mask (The Associates #4)
  • Emma: Part One (Outpost Nine, #1)
New York Times and USA Today Bestselling Author Rebecca Zanetti has worked as an art curator, Senate aide, lawyer, college professor, and a hearing examiner - only to culminate it all in stories about Alpha males and the women who claim them. She writes dark paranormals, romantic suspense, and sexy contemporary romances.

Scorpius Syndrome (6 books)
  • Shadow Falling (The Scorpius Syndrome, #2)
  • Justice Ascending (The Scorpius Syndrome, #3)
  • Storm Gathering (The Scorpius Syndrome, #4)
  • Winter Igniting (Scorpius Syndrome, #5)
  • Knight Awakening (Scorpius Syndrome #6)
“If there are bullets, I’m between you and them. If you get taken, I’m hunting you down till my last breath. And if you end up in hell, I’ll storm the fucking place until the fires go out.” 8 likes
“I’m not good at this.” Taking her hand from his jaw, he pressed it against his heart. “You’re in here. Stay safe.” 2 likes